Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How update my Nokia from Linux?

Contributor

Why programs are only for windows?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei

Re: How update my Nokia from Linux?

[ Edited ]
First question: You don't.

Second question: I don't know, but I suspect because there are much more Windows users than Linux users & that Nokia probably did not reserve an unlimited budget for developing the update application & due to fewer Linux users it wasn't as high on the priority list.

With Linux, your options are:
- install Windows alongside Linux
- find somebody else who has Windows on their PC and lets you borrow it
- Have a Nokia repair/service center update your phone
- Live with whatever firmware version you have now

Message Edited by petrib on 05-Mar-2007
06:22 AM

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think Nokia would support Mac OS X before they support Linux.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

[ Edited ]
I think I read something about an OS X version of PC Suite being planned - though I guess they'd have to change the name: McSuite anyone?

If that does happen, then I guess it would, technically, be easy enough to port the OS X version to Linux or any other flavour of Unix. Can't see Nokia doing it though: there are just way too many flavours of Unix around and way too few people using them. Unix is mosly used on servers, after all.

As the previous post suggests, your best bet is either a friend's PC or a trip to a service center. Or surrender to the Might Microsoft ..

Message Edited by patc on 19-Mar-2007
11:53 AM

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This infuriates me! The non-microsoft users will remember how you treated us, Nokia. You can make things work cross platform or at least with Wine. This is inexcusable.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Agreed. As I understand it, all the updater is doing is communicating via the USB port, and connecting to the Internet to grab the right update. Neither of these tasks is particularly advanced, so it should be easy enough to develop a Wine-friendly version.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rohandhruva

Hi,

I am a very ardent Linux user/fan/fanboy/supporter myself, yet I don't agree. I have been using Linux from 4 years, but I have kept Windows installed.

My logic is - if Nokia has to diversify it's tech team to provide a version for Linux, they'll spend that much less time concentrating on something more important - software updates for the phone! Already with Windows they're having so many problems, they'll be swamped if they release a Linux version. So, in lieu of having more frequent and robust software updates for phone I can ignore the fact that Nokia PC Suite and Update is not available for Linux. Much as I want it, I can live without it.

A workaround would be to use virtualization - VirtualBox is free, and available for most Linux distros. It has USB support, so you could install Nokia PC Suite/Updater in Windows XP guest. I have not tried it myself. If someone does try it, please post your experiences here :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

If I wanted a phone to connect to MS Windows, I'd have bought a Windows Mobile (smart)phone.

But I bought a Symbian OS phone, and I expected it to connect to Linux easily. Bad guess...

I tried to install PC Suite on Windows XP in VirtualBox, but it failed. It was some monthes ago, the failure wasn't very explicit , impossible to debug of course.

Shame on nokia to forget Linux users.
Please use plain text.

Not a lot of people will switch their OS because the phone-software works with that particular OS ( certainly not linux users ).
They 'l probably choose a phone with software that works on the OS they're using.

With more and more users switching from XP/Vista to Ubuntu/Kubuntu or other distro's, they should at least figure out some kind of solution ( wine, virtualization, platform independent programming ) and put it on the net.

I currently own a N73, but my next phone will be one chosen for it's compatibilty with linux.
I still hope it will be a Nokia...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rohandhruva

10-Jun-2008 02:40 PM
janvangent wrote:

I currently own a N73, but my next phone will be one chosen for it's compatibilty with linux.
I still hope it will be a Nokia...

What part of the phone is NOT "compatible" with Linux? You can transfer data, music, and anything else you want. Software updates won't work, but you can always visit the nearest Nokia Care Center.
Please use plain text.

Thanks for your reply,

I would like to see something like the Nokia software suite on linux.
Everything needed to handle the phone in one single application.

I'll probably get the phone working with my distribution if i spend some time on the subject ( knowledgebase, config files etc. forums, etc. ).
But then i'll probably end up with some functions of the phone supported and others not ( like the firmware-upgrade you mentioned ).

A Nokia software suite - wine-solution, wuld be a good start :-)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

10-Jun-2008 02:46 PM
rohandhruva wrote:

10-Jun-2008 02:40 PM
janvangent wrote:

What part of the phone is NOT "compatible" with Linux? You can transfer data, music, and anything else you want..

How?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

10-Jun-2008 03:10 PM
janvangent wrote:
A Nokia software suite - wine-solution, wuld be a good start :-)

That'll only work if WINE gets USB emulation working properly.

Meanwhile, there's always kmobiletools which should do pretty much everything except software updates. Note that I've not tried it personally since I have no need for it, I back up to the memory card and retrieve the data that way amd I use "My Nokia" (see link at top-right of this page) to sync my contacts and calendar.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
kmcd

Used Linux for over ten years (Slackware specifically). Simple solution until it's possible to use NSU with Linux: Dual Boot.

Though I guess linux purists won't really like that.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

30-Jun-2008 10:37 AM
kmcd wrote:
Used Linux for over ten years (Slackware specifically)

Same here (but only since 2001). Red Hat between 1999 and then.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I agree with you.

However, if Nokia does use Symbian (which is an opensourced OS) they were supposed to make their softwares available for Linux ans Solaris, as they are in the opensource "mood".

It is unfair to Linux users, that we have to make all this stuff to get our Nokias up and running on Linux.

Nokia sucks. They are just a bunch of MS's brown noses and they should make things easier for us all.

This is ridiculous. I hate all these idiots....
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

[ Edited ]
Even though I'm a devout Linux user, I have to disagree with you (vituzzo).

Firstly, they're not brown-nosing to Microsoft since there are Mac versions of most of Nokia's Windows software packages.

Secondly, the only thing that we really need MS-Windows for is Nokia Software Updater. For all the other tasks there are either open-source alternatives or other ways round the problem.

Think: kmobiletools, kdebluetooth, ACM modem driver in the Linux kernel.

It doesn't make sense for Nokia to release Linux versions of their tools because of the small percentage of Nokia users actually running various Linux distributions. And therein lies another problem... Which kernel version do they build the tools against, for which version of glibc and optimized for which distro? Which GUI do they build it for, GTK or KDE?

One answer is to bloat the package with statically-linked binaries that include the version of glibc needed. But therein lies yet another problem. The GNU libc library (glibc) is distributed under the LGPL, and section 6 of the LGPL v2.1 under which current versions of glibc are released says that Nokia would have to provide a machine-readable copy of the source code (NSU, for example, is proprietary software). It also says: ...you may also combine or link a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work under terms of your choice, provided that the terms permit modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse engineering for debugging such modifications.

Doing so is impossible from Nokia's point of view. Providing Linux versions of their software is not a practical possibility unless they open their proprietary software to public scrutiny.

Message Edited by grschinon on 19-Nov-2008 05:39 PM

Please use plain text.
Contributor

grschinon:

I don't think this is true - we have Adobe Reader, Flash and other programs which link to glibc and are not opensource. There is a way to do it - though I am not an expert in the GPL license.

The other thing is there are quite a lot of people using Linux now. Adobe has shown by delivering their flash plugin on 64 bit platform *First* on linux, with Windows and Mac versions to follow. If 64 bit linux desktop has so much traction to pull adobe to release their flash plugin, definitely it is going to be the future.

Nokia - if you need to fight with MS, you need to make your devices Linux friendly sooner..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

20-Nov-2008 05:22 AM
nvshaji wrote:
I don't think this is true - we have Adobe Reader, Flash and other programs which link to glibc and are not opensource. There is a way to do it - though I am not an expert in the GPL license.

These applications are DYNAMICALLY linked, not statically. The point I was putting across is that you cannot STATICALLY link glibc into a closed product.

Please use plain text.
simbloke

I wish the updates were as simple as most digital cameras:
- Put file on memory card
- Turn off
- Turn on
- Wait a bit

Really, who wants all that NSU stuff on Windows or Linux?
N95 8GB
Please use plain text.