Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Intolerable policy on firmware updates by Nokia

Counsellor
paittola

Intolerable policy on firmware updates by Nokia

[ Edited ]
I've bought my phone from a website shop (language FI).

However the add stated the language would be english only. It was a false statement. It should have said Mid-European language pack.

Anyhow the policy of asking people to update firmware as the new versions are released quite often is something different.

Since I wanted to have Scandinavian language pack and T9-vocabularly as well, I asked for an online service for the language pack. No such thing within Software updater.

Instead Nokia suggests to go to nearest Care Center to change the languages, which will inevidently become reset to the default after firmware update depending on where the device was orginally manufactured for.

There is a service fee on the language pack change and selfswap would influence the guarentee. I wonder how the manufacturer would pleed, if this matter were taken into the EU Comissions free trade board. I got my phone shipped within the EU.

If I go to the same Care Center to update the language pack again after doing what Nokia promotes - updating the firmware - I'm very much in doubt, that the Care Center will load the languages again for free.

Message Edited by paittola on 08-Dec-2008 01:45 AM
B.Sc Information tech

Phones I have or used to have: ancient Ericsson, Nokia: 6510, 2610, 5310 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Intolerable policy on firmware updates by Nokia

If the retailer is supplying phones intended for a part of the world other than where they're selling them, then the retailer is at fault, not Nokia.

If you went to your local electrical appliance dealer, bought a brand "X" toaster and found that it was intended for the American market (because it works on 110V rather than 220V), who would you blame? The manufacturer or the retailer?

It's exactly the same thing here.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
paittola

Re: Intolerable policy on firmware updates by Nokia

[ Edited ]
Not quite.

According to the discussions on this board the true nature of changing languages on a phone has not been revieled to customers in advance. That is what the issue here is.

The Brits have not changed to EUCU, yet UK is a member. There are some things that are and some, that seems. This is among those that seem, but ain't.

Message Edited by paittola on 08-Dec-2008 09:53 PM
B.Sc Information tech

Phones I have or used to have: ancient Ericsson, Nokia: 6510, 2610, 5310 XpressMusic
Please use plain text.