Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

List of Belle additions/corrections needed

Professor
hpholm

Re: Final List of Belle additions/corrections needed

@Mike_Myers_N8: Please keep objective and maintain a positive approach. :smileyhappy:

Some of the items in the list will be sorted out, and some is never going to happen. Nokia may even sort out Belle bugs and make valuable changes that are not in your list!

Do not get me wrong, I thank you for doing this, and the list has items that I also want to have corrected in Belle. It is just more efficient when you can talk people into doing you a favour and show them that you appreciate their effort instead of being angry and make demands.

Phone hacking cannot be discussed in this forum.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
MZero

Re: List of Belle additions/corrections needed

It would be very nice to have Midnight themes updated for Nokia Belle.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

Hans, that's what people were telling each other back in 1912 before they found themselves in freezing water.

Seriously, the list will be as objective as I can make it - it's a summary of what everyone here is asking for, and because we all have different priorities, I changed it so it's sorted now by "category".

Regarding your second paragraph, I disagree. Why sugar-coat anything? I can't speak for anyone else, but I see no reason to hide how I feel. A year ago you'd never have found me with anything but a Nokia in my pocket. Now my pocket has an older iphone next to my N8, and I'm planning on getting an Android phone so I can learn that as well. I'm not going to post something here that says "fix this or I'm moving on", but if you notice that I'm no longer posting here, that might be what happened. The biggest thing still keeping me with Nokia is Nokia Maps, despite how it too is being crippled as new releases come out providing less functionality.

It never bothered me that previous Nokia phones didn't have everything we wanted. As time went on, Nokia's firmware updates constantly improved my previous phones.

Now, the unthinkable has happened - Nokia took a wonderful phone, and crippled it, not just once, but all over. It's not an issue for me - I bought a second N8, and one of them hasn't, and won't, get the Belle update. (If Nokia fixes Belle, that will change, but if they were capable of fixing Belle, they wouldn't have broken so many things to begin with, so my expectations are to get next to nothing, and as I said, I'll "quite while I'm ahead" (at least on one of my two phones).  I'll be just as pleased with my original N8 (Anna) for the near future, as I was with it when I first got it.  :-)

Maybe all of us (Nokia included) should consider the reasons as to WHY we selected and purchased a N8 rather than the competition. THAT phone is still around, with all the options, widgets, themes, and all sorts of other software. I believe we can all fix our Belle phones by taking them back to a Nokia store, and having them re-install Anna.

THAT is my positive approach, and THAT is the reason I purchased two N8 phones, and it's important to remember that the phone itself is just as good as the day we bought it - still not perfect, but also still the best phone available on the market today.  It's up to each of us, as users, whether we prefer "form" or "function".

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Hans, that's what people were telling each other back in 1912 before they found themselves in freezing water.

Seriously, the list will be as objective as I can make it - it's a summary of what everyone here is asking for, and because we all have different priorities, I changed it so it's sorted now by "category".

Regarding your second paragraph, I disagree. Why sugar-coat anything? I can't speak for anyone else, but I see no reason to hide how I feel. A year ago you'd never have found me with anything but a Nokia in my pocket. Now my pocket has an older iphone next to my N8, and I'm planning on getting an Android phone so I can learn that as well. I'm not going to post something here that says "fix this or I'm moving on", but if you notice that I'm no longer posting here, that might be what happened. The biggest thing still keeping me with Nokia is Nokia Maps, despite how it too is being crippled as new releases come out providing less functionality.

It never bothered me that previous Nokia phones didn't have everything we wanted. As time went on, Nokia's firmware updates constantly improved my previous phones.

Now, the unthinkable has happened - Nokia took a wonderful phone, and crippled it, not just once, but all over. It's not an issue for me - I bought a second N8, and one of them hasn't, and won't, get the Belle update. (If Nokia fixes Belle, that will change, but if they were capable of fixing Belle, they wouldn't have broken so many things to begin with, so my expectations are to get next to nothing, and as I said, I'll "quite while I'm ahead" (at least on one of my two phones).  I'll be just as pleased with my original N8 (Anna) for the near future, as I was with it when I first got it.  :-)

Maybe all of us (Nokia included) should consider the reasons as to WHY we selected and purchased a N8 rather than the competition. THAT phone is still around, with all the options, widgets, themes, and all sorts of other software. I believe we can all fix our Belle phones by taking them back to a Nokia store, and having them re-install Anna.

THAT is my positive approach, and THAT is the reason I purchased two N8 phones, and it's important to remember that the phone itself is just as good as the day we bought it - still not perfect, but also still the best phone available on the market today.  It's up to each of us, as users, whether we prefer "form" or "function".

I have to say, I agree completely with all of that.

I also have been previously committed to Nokia handsets for a while, and OVI / Nokia maps being the killer app reason for me. And like you, I'm finding that Nokia are doing their damndest to take away all that incentive for me.

My N8 running Anna and maps 3.06 works just fine - yes there's a few things I'd like improved (WiFi behaviour / performance has always been a bit suspect, Nokia situations sometimes seems to "forget" it should have bluetooth on during the the hours I have it in "General" profile, video player just needs bookmarks to be perfect, and the music player could be improved on). But despite all that, as is (Anna, Maps 3.06) I get lots of use out of it, and it works well for all the things I want it to do.

The camera is excellent, I use DAB radio a lot (with the Nokia DAB headset I bought), internet radio works well, I use sports tracker daily.

There's a lot of plusses there for me - I'm in no need to jump ship as things stand, and as things stand, see no reason why I wouldn't be equally as happy for the remainder of my contract period with this handset.

Why I won't go with Belle or any later version of maps (I've tried betas of 3.07 and 3.08 of maps) is because I'm not about to do that to myself to only be frustrated by the things no longer there, no longer working, or working well, or neutered and can no longer be configured how I want them to work.

And Nokia don't seem about to change their philosophy over that, so can't see me moving forward with any versions, now. That's the thing for me - I don't think there about to change policy on the aspects I find as showstoppers - and unless the people who they deter by this approach, look to be a financially discouraging demographic (I'd like to think, if nothing else, they're savvy to play to where they think the money is) I don't expect this to ever change, now.

The stance of Nokia staff posting in the betalabs forums about this things / approaches has completely suprised me in terms of dogma, arrogance and hubris in their decisions on how they develop and move their software forward.

Like others, I'll not pout, stamp my feet, shout and tell Nokia they'd better change to their approach on software development that preceeded all this - all I'll do, at a time that makes sense to me, is most probably vote with my feet / wallet.

I already have an Android tablet, so have some experience with Android as an OS. My handset needs are decent enough smartphone - hopefully constructed fairly robustly, with decent automotive sat nav functionality (including things like traffic updates, safety cameras - and ideally smarter features like eco routes - but equally as importantly, allows me to configure these features how I'd like them to operate), and decent enough camera (going forward, I doubt that will mean quite the excellence of the N8s camera). So when my contract renewal approaches, and it's time to get a new handset, the last couple of times I would have always selected a Nokia handset - I doubt that will be the case, now - although I'll make that decision when it's needed, based on what fits my needs the best - I just can't help but think it's a shame that it's unlikely to be Nokia.

I can only hope for their survival as a handset supplier, that however they've now decided to target customers is sufficiently lucrative to overcome the existing customers they appear to be alienating.

The other thing I think is the biggest shame and tragedy about it, is that there really is no need to alienate all the users they seem to have - their market and software could be inclusive - all the things they've shown so much arrogance and hubris over, in their decisions on how new versions would be developed, didn't need to be so discouraging to existing, perhaps techically savvy users - there's ways to appease both what they seem to want to target, and keep the existing audience happy, there just doesn't seem the desire for them to do both.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

Jaff0, reading what you write is like a mirror into my mind. For me, if it wasn't for Nokia Maps, my main phone would already be something else.

What amazes me, is that the people in charge of these things can't be as ignorant as the seem to me to be. There must be a logical reason why Nokia told all of us not too far back that Symbian was dead, and Nokia was going ahead full-speed with Windows. As I see it, the only thing they accomplished was telling their customer base to get lost and go elsewhere. Even from a purely business point of view, it makes no sense, as why turn away your existing customers?

P.S. - No matter how much I dislike what Nokia is doing to Nokia Maps under Belle, it's still infinitely better than Nokia Maps on my iphone 3GS.  On that device, I can only download one "map", and if I download another it overwrites the first map.  Oh well.   It's not that the software itself is "bad", just like much of Belle - it's just that the person who designs this stuff hasn't got a clue as to what the USERS want to do with the software.  That's a bad attitude to have for any company.  Maybe they'll wake up?  :-)

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Suggestion - the above list is supposed to be something to represent what all of us feel about the software.  I'd like to sort the suggestions for each category, with the most important fixes listed first.

If you guys agree this would be helpful, please take the items listed for any category, highlight and copy them to your PC with "Notepad", and just add 1, 2, or 3 stars after the items to show importance.  Then highlight what you've done, and paste it back in the forum. I'll do a sort based on the number of stars.  (If you like, feel free to sort the list yourself before re-posting.)

Two weeks from today, I'd like to change the settings for this discussion to "solved".  We will have done our part.  Hopefully it will lead both to improvements to our existing phones, and perhaps better software on future Nokia phones.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Note:

Nokia Maps Suite 2.0 just became available for the N8 in the download software section of Nokia Suite.  I had been reading about it here: http://blog.maps.nokia.com/nokia-maps/download-nokia-maps-suite-on-your-nokia-belle-device#more-1929... 

Since I've got the two N8 phones, and I'm already not that happy with the Belle phone, I went ahead and installed this.  I figured I had nothing to lose, and perhaps I'll like it.  I do like what I've read about it on the internet.   (When it says less than a minute left, it took much, much longer.)

When it completed, it said I now have:

Version  v3.09 12wk09 b05

MW OpenGL MN

Map version 0.2.45.110

I will change the long listing up above to say "version 3.08 and earlier".

I'll start a new sectioin for Maps 3.09.

Hopefully, there will be no bugs, no issues, no nothing, just compliments.

If so, I can mark the "Maps" listing as "solved", with a note for people to d/l 3.09.

Oh yeah, for those of you who live in the UK:

"For our UK users, new Voice Search lets you get directions simply by speaking, so you can now navigate hands-free! Tap on the microphone icon next to the search box and speak your destination. Voice Search will be available for more countries and languages soon."

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

The latest version of Nokia Maps seems like a good improvement over what we've had before.  It's not as simple as the older version, but now that it has so many things added on, maybe it's better this way. 

As described in this thread (/t5/Maps-Navigation-and-GPS/Nokia-Maps-Suite-2-0/td-p/1369775), I'm removing several of the issues from the list posted in this thread...

FIXED:

MAPS-- Ability to delete or edit map favorites from Drive

MAPS-- Not possible to delete maps history.   (Multi-Delete would be nice.)

MAPS-- Map widget doesn't support rotation with fingers (I can't see anything not working)
  MAPS-- Return the English "surfer dude" voice to  Voice Navigation on the N8. (Still Broken)

STILL BROKEN OR ???

MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation
  MAPS-- provide a simple and convenient method to import and export GPS coordinates
  MAPS-- No backup ability for map favorites without going on-line

If you've been following this thread, and you use Nokia Maps, I think you'll find this latest release to be an improvement.  It also has many new features added, that I haven't had time to try yet. 

It would be great if a lot more of the items in the long list of Belle issues could be marked as "FIXED".   :-)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

thanks a lot for the update details. Just few things I would like to know:

how much free space is left on C: after installing latest maps?

Hows phone's behaviour while scrolling maps? are there lags during scrolling? And during calling/receiving when maps/drive are on?

When you quit drive navigation, does map application close automatically or still keeps running in the background?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Let me try as best I can, to figure out how much free space is left on C: after installing latest maps?   According to "Ergo's Meminfo",

-----------------------------------

Memory stats after a phone restart

RAM   126 / 252 megs   (50% used)

Phone memory:  171 /  261 megs    (66% used)

Start Maps application, let it find my location, then check memory:

RAM 129 / 252 megs  (51%)

Phone memory:  171 / 261 megs  (66% used)

Close Maps, then re-check:

RAM 127 / 252

Phone memory:  171 / 261

I don't know how much space I had available on C: before upgrading to Maps 3.09, so I don't know how to tell you how much spacce was taken up by the new program.

==============================================

Hows phone's behaviour while scrolling maps? are there lags during scrolling? And during calling/receiving when maps/drive are on?

No changes that I can notice.  Everything is the same as beffore.

==============================================

When you quit drive navigation, does map application close automatically or still keeps running in the background?

Trying this now...

Start Maps.

Start Drive (leave all fields empty)

Close Drive.

Maps is still running in background

Hmm, isnt' this what it should do?  If they are separate programs, closing one should have no effect on the other.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

Thanks for a prompt reply.

1: about free space: just check using nokia's default files manager "FILES".

2: in previous maps(v3.06 not later) or may be Anna, when I close drive, maps would automatically close. I don't whether the change is right or wrong. But for me the previous one was better. Now after I quit drive, I have to long press "MENU", open maps and close it down, as when I reach destination I no longer need Maps running, whether in background or foreground.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

We should get feedback from a lot of people here, then either accept it, or request a change. 

If it was up to me, I'd have a single program icon for "maps", and all the separate programs we have right now would be part of that one program.  Nokia seems to feel they should be separate programs.  Maybe that's so different people can work on each part of the program simultaneously, and what one group might do won't effect what another group is doing on a different part of the Maps software?

The 'pdf' file with the instructions for how to use 3.09 groups it all into one program.  For me, on my N8, I created one folder named 'maps' and put all the files there, along with my GPS satellite info programs.

I'll update the main listing in a week or so, including anything new posted here.

Please use plain text.
stophle82

[ Edited ]

Second everything that saves data and battery power.
Not being able to take all widgets on the homescreen offline basically means no more widgets. My E7's battery is empty faster then ever and I am not really interested in having my data used up in 2 weeks just by the weather app :smileysad:

9 Automated or manual option to put homescreen widgets online/offlline.
9 Automated option "go online every (work)day 8.00 - 16.00 on every 60min for 2 minutes"
7 Calendar doesn't display enough events
7 add delete icon at the bottom middle of mail.

EDIT:
And a question:
Did the navigation stop showing any time of arrival estimates???

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

latest update:my n8 hanged thrice in last 2days while using latest belle and exclusively social with widget on wifi.no other background app running.i think belle or new social or both are hogging n8's ram.it becomes a real dumb slow when using social.very slow to respond,many key touch are not recognised,can't run other apps even calls smoothly when social is on.if tried to,it hangs.geting irritated with belle n nokia's overall attitude.they are developing n updating everything else but not released belle update for old customers.not even letting us downgrade if they don't want to correct the belle problems.
Please use plain text.
Sage
AlanWatson

Re: Final List of Belle additions/corrections needed

Thanks for providing this list of bugs to be fixed and enhancements required. I have provided my own list below, all but one of which are additions to your consolidated list.

HARDWARE Correct excessively loud notifications through headphones

HARDWARE Stop inadvertent unlock/answer phone/cancel alarm etc (eg reinstate swipe)

POSITIONING Reinstate GPS satellite status/position coordinates module

POSITIONING Allow access to positioning methods from map settings menu

MUSIC Reinstate podcast module

MUSIC Allow scroll through artists/genres/all, then click to see albums/tracks (at choice)

CALENDAR Allow variable snooze times (as in MS outlook)

CALENDAR Allow easy separation of to do lists/engagements (day/week view with/without to do lists)

CALENDAR Create day at-a-glance view (whole day without lots of scrolling)

CALENDAR Create customisable calendar/to do widgets

SOFTWARE Integrate Nokia battery monitor into basic o/s

SOFTWARE Allow easy access to all power-related options in one place (wifi, bluetooth, 3g, nfc, gps, display brightness, screen-saver time, email download frequency etc)

SOFTWARE Allow user to alter/save battery saving profile

WEB Create RSS reader (ideally with widget)

The exception is about the main display in the music player, where I would like the user to have options either to see something like now, or to scroll though a list of artists and then get either tracks or albums, or to scroll through a list of genres and then tracks/albums. (I have a very  large classical collection; the current listing is unmanageable, and the genres are unusable as I go directly to tracks rather than to albums. I want beethoven and/or symphonies then beethoven's 9th with its four tracks.)

As a little bit of background, I have just upgraded to a 701 from a device using S60 5th edition, so unlike most of you my device came with Belle installed and I have not previously used Anna. I have the very latest maps but not yet FP1. I also live in Taiwan where some essential apps (such as the battery monitor) are not available in the Nokia store -  hence my request to integrate it in the main OS. When I say 'reinstate' (as in podcast module) I am referring to things available in S60 5th but not in Belle.

Thanks again

Alan

Please use plain text.

9 i want easy switch b/w 2g to 3g in notification bar in my n8.

9 move application like office, adobe, zip, socail & maps to mass memory so that there is big space in c: drive.

9 a shorcut to reach directly in intalled file

9 and the most important plz do sometime for FLASH PALYER it DOES'T work properly it do not play some file which was perfectly played in anna and some time it playes file but whenever i forward it stop and a white screen come and msg file nt supported
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

It has now been two months since this list was started, and as far as I can tell, nothing has been done, and probably nothing will ever be done. 

Maybe in the next week or so, I'll combine the main list with the last two responses, so it's finished.  I will then wrap up my N8/Belle in the list, and offer it for sale.  I'll go back to my N8/Anna.

I'm still using my N8 as my walk-around phone, but I've got an old iPhone all fixed up for me to switch to.  I figure I'll use that for a while, and then learn about Android the same way.

Nokia has too many problems with Windows to worry about Symbian, and I'm guessing they think we'll eventually get tired and go away.  I guess I'm proving them right.....

(I won't be able to deliver my N8 to the fellow who wants it until September, so if between now and then anything changes, I'll do the update.)

If somebody else wants to take over the maintenance of this list, please jump in and do so.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

SUMMARY of BELLE CHANGES/CORRECTIONS/ADDITIONS/FIXES
April 28, 2012, 1:30pm US time

HARDWARE-- Wifi EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2 Authentication MUST be fixed
HARDWARE-- bug with speakerphone and C7 & N8 - no tone indicating "speak now" in hands free
HARDWARE-- doesn't show whether headphones are connected, even though they are
HARDWARE-- need more speaker volume.
HARDWARE-- During call if another call connects 2nd call goes to speaker and cannot be switched
HARDWARE-- Ability to choose the charging LED as notification light on an E7
HARDWARE-- for many Headphones sound not diverted to 3.5mm jack & music plays through device speaker
HARDWARE-- some users complain about short battery life
HARDWARE-- Correct excessively loud notifications through headphones
HARDWARE-- Stop inadvertent unlock/answer phone/cancel alarm etc (eg reinstate swipe)

WEB-- New improved browser with HTML 5 working with the latest FLASH PLAYER
WEB-- Links in browser and Nokia store are accidently selected unless your scrolling very fast
WEB-- add Bookmarks to homescreen as a direct shortcut or shortcut to folder
WEB-- web browse in full screen
WEB-- Add a yellow star icon for Bookmarks in the browser
WEB-- Create RSS reader (ideally with widget)

SOFTWARE--"Remote Drives" to be returned to the file manager via Options > map remote drive.
SOFTWARE-- Profiles: shows only 5 settings, needs more
SOFTWARE-- Profiles: ability to choose every profile from pulldown menu
SOFTWARE-- reset using *#7370# code and rebooted, phone now asking for New Security Code
SOFTWARE-- return the ability to create sub folders within folders
SOFTWARE-- Power Save Mode: phone should not roam
SOFTWARE-- Power Save Mode: force theme effects to be disabled .
SOFTWARE-- Automated or manual option to put homescreen widgets online/offlline.
SOFTWARE-- whatsapp integration with notification bar/ widget
SOFTWARE-- add delete icon at the bottom middle of mail.
SOFTWARE-- Need a home screen clock with date and time, easily read
SOFTWARE-- Provide a quick and easy way to temporarily lock/unlock screen orientation
SOFTWARE-- Allow access to c:\private folder without having to hack the phone
SOFTWARE-- 2g/3g toggle widget
SOFTWARE-- connections drop down menu on home screen should allow selecting all profiles
SOFTWARE-- menu scrolling should be customizable
SOFTWARE-- missing "Mark Multiple" tick at the bottom of the Gallery
SOFTWARE-- Internet Radio does not anymore show the artist /track name playing
SOFTWARE-- Voice dialing doesn't work properly in C7 Belle
SOFTWARE-- phone forgets calling mode. If left it in Dial pad, phone book, or log it should remember.
SOFTWARE-- DTMF pad vanish when starting call & end key vanish when accessing DTMF pad during call
SOFTWARE-- Whatsapp title bar at the top disappears when I want to type a message. .
SOFTWARE-- "home network only" selection instead of or addition to manual mode for network selection
SOFTWARE-- Don't give warning messages about "mobile data" when it is not turned on.
SOFTWARE-- include a built in timer
SOFTWARE-- Return Nokia Bubbles as an option
SOFTWARE-- the "mark Multiple" tick should always be available when there are multiple items
SOFTWARE-- provide more languages, and a way to download from PC
SOFTWARE-- Pop ups re situations & deactivating power saving are too invasive
SOFTWARE-- make screen saver adjustable.
SOFTWARE-- signal and battery level disappear when searching contacts
SOFTWARE-- To-do list needs to be multi-level
SOFTWARE-- Separate wallpaper for lock screen rather than that of the current home screen
SOFTWARE-- Backup and Restore not reliable - doesn't fully bring back everything.
SOFTWARE-- Integrate Nokia battery monitor into basic o/s
SOFTWARE-- Allow easy access to all power-related options in one place
SOFTWARE-- Allow user to alter/save battery saving profile

CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- camera quality deteriorated especially in low light.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- improve the zoom in for photos like anna
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Camera UI taskbar takes up part of screen, can't be hidden. Needs transparent.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- many (and larger) videos no longer play, & file extensions not supported
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Captured videos, downloaded videos do not appear in VIDEOS
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Gallery- pictures disappear from folders following power cycle
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Camera shutter sound doesn't play when in a custom profile
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- automatically group images in albums sorted by date or alphabets in the gallery
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- camera interface icons removed from the bottom back to where they used to be.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- captured videos appear in GALLERY, not VIDEOS

MESSAGING-- allow multiple eMail accounts to show on homescreen.
MESSAGING-- store emails in the mass memory
MESSAGING-- eMail menu text size unaffected by settings
MESSAGING-- Option to be able to show Folder view when opening messaging app.
MESSAGING-- should give the option of opening to folder view
MESSAGING-- Insert an application to schedule SMS
MESSAGING-- When removing or deleting email, go to received emails on that account.
MESSAGING-- return  ability to press and hold on an email to get a delete option.
MESSAGING-- Return the ability to easily add a "smiley face" in a message, as in Anna
MESSAGING-- conversations - add a small "close" button on the top right of each message s
MESSAGING-- Make SMS counter to appear when not typing through on-screen keyboard.
MESSAGING-- Allow user to select where to store contacts (phone or mass storage)
MESSAGING-- Cannot delete unread messages
MESSAGING-- Ability to email, sms, or mms when typing a name from the home screen.
MESSAGING-- when removing/deleting email if taken to homescreen, shutdown email app.
MESSAGING-- Add delete button on the task bar when opening a message conversation.
MESSAGING-- message preview or sender info in notification bar
MESSAGING-- option - folders view as default for sms viewing - new incoming mails or from the app
MESSAGING-- on-screen keyboard should open when selecting a new sms message
MESSAGING-- sms/missed call event notification - select between widget or popup menu
MESSAGING-- email wastes too much screenspace, needs to display multiple emails addresses.
MESSAGING-- message bubble opening message like with anna

MUSIC-- Music player doesn't go to "now playing" when you click on the music widget.
MUSIC-- Music player should display the track number.
MUSIC-- Adding song to playlist from "now playing" screen
MUSIC-- music player - Artists and Albums should be separate.
MUSIC-- music player needs user-definable equaliser
MUSIC-- Reinstate podcast module
MUSIC-- Allow scroll through artists/genres/all, then click to see albums/tracks (at choice)

CALENDAR-- Need to show many upcoming events, not just one.
CALENDAR-- Calendar New Event window - subject & location lines too narrow and text cut off
CALENDAR-- Calendar event - simple text note display in the calendar widget on homescreen
CALENDAR-- missed a calendar event, now not able to get rid of notification.
CALENDAR-- Allow variable snooze times (as in MS outlook)
CALENDAR-- Allow easy separation of to do lists/engagements (day/week view with/without to do lists)
CALENDAR-- Create day at-a-glance view (whole day without lots of scrolling)
CALENDAR-- Create customisable calendar/to do widgets

WIDGETS-- smaller Anna-style widgets for mail, calendar and clock
WIDGETS-- nokia notifications widget/ pop down message preview like on anna
WIDGETS-- Notifications Widget
WIDGETS-- need scientific calculator
WIDGETS-- calculator does have a clear screen button when the screen has data,
WIDGETS-- Battery status indicator like the one in anna
WIDGETS-- Widget appearance modified by going from 'portrait' to 'landscape'.
WIDGETS-- Provide Widget that will "lock/unlock" all screens, so nothing can be accidentally changed.
WIDGETS-- Automated option "go online every day at a given time
WIDGETS-- Allow widgets to work on more than one home screen.
WIDGETS-- need more skins & sizes for clock,music player,calender,email widgets.
WIDGETS-- need widget to show all new events in one place
WIDGETS-- need widget to show all missed events in the home screen
WIDGETS-- Option to tap the battery icon to show how much battery is left in %
WIDGETS-- option to tap battery icon and select "Activate Power saving mode"
WIDGETS-- Option to add only a single small favourite contact.
WIDGETS-- RSS widget
WIDGETS-- Battery status indicator
WIDGETS-- widgets changing colour along with theme
WIDGETS-- need missing Widgets -2g/3g toggle, Big Analogue Clock, Big Calendar, BT Toggle (BlueTooth)
....Cellular Toggle, Mobile Data Tracker, Small Music Player, Offline Toggle, RSS Feed
....silent Toggle, Visual Bookmarks, Multi Photo Collage widget, Mobile Data Tracker

MENU/ICONS--shortcuts, widgets, and contacts should rotate when the phone is flipped
MENU/ICONS--The icon shortcut for maps favorites is missing.  
MENU/ICONS--allow user to decide whether or not to display labels for icons
MENU/ICONS--re-enable use of the navigation key to select icons
MENU/ICONS--re-enable the icon to change home screens
MENU/ICONS--add the option to use a menu click and "show open applications"
MENU/ICONS--add the option to use a menu click and "show open applications"
MENU/ICONS--carrier name disappear when accessing the menu or contacts
MENU/ICONS--Messaging tabs aren't optimised for vertical use
MENU/ICONS--ping Back/Menu icon (bottom left) does not work consistently.
MENU/ICONS-- - select between left/right sliding 5.pages or scroll down menu
MENU/ICONS--make an mosaic screen for homescreens so we can straight to any homescreen.

LOGS-- log should be the same whether selecting the the log from the phone or from the menu.
LOGS-- Log WLAN and Packet Data connections.

MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation.Camera & video
MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation
MAPS-- provide a simple and convenient method to import and export GPS coordinates
MAPS-- No backup ability for map favorites without going on-line
POSITIONING-- Reinstate GPS satellite status/position coordinates module
POSITIONING-- Allow access to positioning methods from map settings menu

SOCIAL-- Relocate refresh button to first, or a top corner of widget near update status
SOCIAL-- Refresh rate of social widget to be user selectable
SOCIAL-- Top scroll down bar should continue to work while social app is running.

STORE-- should be able to hide downloads so you can keep browsing

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

One more thing - I'm not going to put this down as a "bug", but rather how I feel the people left to deal with Symbian don't understand why things were done originally, and therefore break something without realizing it.

I used to own several phones, and kept them in my pocket.  Every so often I found that a button or something was pressed, and the phone did something unintended - even to where it called people unintentionally.  My Nokia 5230 Nuron solved that problem completely - there is a hardware slide on the side of the 5230 phone, and you have to physically slide it from one position to another to aake up the phone.

That was on my "must have" list when I got my N8, and thankfully it used the same concept.  I never had the N8 do something unintentionally.

Then Bubbles came along, and after pressing the button at the bottom left, you could move one bubble onto another, and unlock the phone.  This was still OK, as I doubt it would ever happen accidentally - too complicated.  Life was still good.

Now all that is broken on my N8....   pressing that same hardware button brings up a new screen with a huge UNLOCK area near the bottom.  Anything that accidentally pushed on the hardware button at the bottom left is very likely to be pushing on this screen UNLOCK area, and several times now I've taken my phone out of my pocket, only to see it doing various strange things on its own, even though it was locked when it was put in my pocket.  Basically, the whole point of having the slide switch on the side of the phone has been defeated.

I'm not going to list it as a bug, as it isn't.  It was done intentionally, along with many of the other things that now cripple the N8.  Whoever made this change was obviously unaware of why things were the way they were before - and apparently those people who do know these things are no longer available at Nokia to catch them before they are released as an "update".

Having bet the future of Nokia on Windows (which to me seems like a very, very foolish thing to have done), Nokia is now obligated to put all their resources into that operating system, and losing money as they currently are, I just can't see them fixing a dead or dying operating system and especially the problems caused by this Belle mistake. 

I'm beyond the point of frustration.  If Nokia Maps ran on an iphone the way it does on my N8, I would no longer be in this forum talking about these things.  I'd still keep my N8 for what it used to be able to do so well, but it would no longer be my "mobile". I keep checking for word here from Nokia, but I'm simultaneously looking into getting an Android device.

Sorry for the diversion.....    I'll keep updating the above list, as long as people keep posting new things to add to it.  At least I was able to remove a few things, now that Maps has been upgraded.

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Then Bubbles came along, and after pressing the button at the bottom left, you could move one bubble onto another, and unlock the phone.  This was still OK, as I doubt it would ever happen accidentally - too complicated.  Life was still good.

Now all that is broken on my N8....   pressing that same hardware button brings up a new screen with a huge UNLOCK area near the bottom.  Anything that accidentally pushed on the hardware button at the bottom left is very likely to be pushing on this screen UNLOCK area, and several times now I've taken my phone out of my pocket, only to see it doing various strange things on its own, even though it was locked when it was put in my pocket.  Basically, the whole point of having the slide switch on the side of the phone has been defeated.

Whilst the project has been completed and Bubbles is no longer supported, it seems to run without problems on my Belle N8. It stayed installed when I upgraded but I lost it when I had to do a hard reset and have just reinstalled it.

It is still available for download at http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-bubbles/download_and_installation

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.