Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

List of Belle additions/corrections needed

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Re: List of Belle additions/corrections needed

Thanks, Andy! Perhaps that will fix the problem I just mentioned of un-intended phone operations happening because something accidentally touched the phone in my pocket.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if any of the above fixes get corrected. I'm guessing the Symbian people who are still left at Nokia are too few, too pressed for time, and also are stuck with a "why bother" attitude. Elop will succeed in getting rid of Symbian, along with the rest of Nokia.

It's far too late now, but wouldn't it be great if someone could find a way to port Android to the N8? Instead of another iPhone type phone, fully controlled, and with limited capability, look what the new Samsung Galaxy S3 can do! That's what Nokia should now be making.... at least in my opinion.

OK, enough complaining.

Can I re-post my list of what's broken in Belle, and then mark this post with the "Accept as Solution" button? The "solution" would be the compiling a list of what's wrong, and I think that is done. I suspect that by the time somebody, somewhere, gets around to fixing things, the N8 will be as relevant as the N95.
Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:
It's far too late now, but wouldn't it be great if someone could find a way to port Android to the N8?

Completely off topic, so apologies.

Oddly, and I suppose it just shows that we are all different, thats the last thing I would want; In fact a day doesn't go by without me wishing that someone would port Belle to this tablet. Hopefully Nokia will come out with a truly great windows 8 tablet and I can give this thing the swimming lesson it comes so close to so often.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

No need for apologies....

I'm just worn out. I'd be happy if my N8 even just worked like an iphone, as long as I wouldn't lose the capabilities of the N8. Ditto for Android. I'd even settle for Windows - providing I didn't lose all the things the Anna/N8 could do. I no longer care. I'm tired of all this nonsense, and the complete lack of any response from Nokia, which is probably not Nokia's fault any longer - they've boxed themselves in, with no way out. Sorry, I'm not staying boxed in.... my N8/Anna will probably be my main phone for a while.

I'm probably not expressing myself correctly. I don't think there is any problem with "Belle" itself; what's wrong is with the way it has been ported to the N8, and all the broken, crippled, or missing functions. The Symbian software gurus could probably fix it up just fine, if asked (and paid) to do so.

Every so often I wonder about a Windows phone, but a few minutes in the Windows forum here send me packing.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
neelen13

I have recently upgraded to Belle (N8) and found no way to "mark" all text messages and then just delete at one time. I receive about 1000 texts a week, do I really have to delete manually?

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

neelen13 wrote:

I have recently upgraded to Belle (N8) and found no way to "mark" all text messages and then just delete at one time. I receive about 1000 texts a week, do I really have to delete manually?

"3 line" icon (bottom right) and choose "View Folders", then select "inbox"
"3 line" icon again and "Mark Multiple Items"
"3 line" and "mark All"
"3 line" and "Delete"
N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Sorry - I haven't been paying much attention to all this in the past few weeks.  I've been too busy trying to get used to an iphone.  It's nice, but in so many ways I prefer the (original) N8.  Next step is probably to try out something running Android, and see if it's more of what I want.

Anyway, back to this thread.  I haven't been reading much here for a while - can anyone tell me if ANYTHING in the long list posted here has been corrected in the N8/Belle?  Every time i check on Accenture, it seems like they're laying off more and more of the ex-Symbian developers.  Unless I've missed it, I don't think there is any indication that these issues will ever be fixed.

If nothing has or will be done, does anyone here know how people who want to revert to Anna can do so?  If nothing is going to be done to fix the issues on the N8, explaining how to get back to the previous operating system might be the best answer, after which we can mark this thread as "Closed". Before I left India, I was told that if I took the phone to a Nokia Care Center, they could re-install Anna.  Can anyone confirm that this is true?

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

So far the N8 has received the Qt stability update. I'm not sure it corrects any of the issues in this thread, but it does allow me to manually install and run an old Qt must-have app without errors during install and use:

http://store.ovi.com/content/135078/

(The app is only interesting for Danish users, and Nokia Store is still hiding it for Belle devices)

Your list were semi-officially acknowledged early on, and the suggestions were given to the developers. Combined with other feedback sources and the online telemetry, I am confident we are going to see a Belle update for older devices to correct obvious errors and UI mistakes. Let us face it, even the Asha 300 has more processing power than the N8, and the latest Maps Suite takes the N8 to its limit and beyond, i.e. when electing to show my pictures on the map and there are a few hundred pictures in the selected map area. The N8 hardware limitations are not going to stop the programmers from adding new features to Belle, and the N8 is left behind with less features than new phones.

The big change Nokia can do IMO, is to integrate the N8 Belle with the Microsoft cloud. Not only with Microsoft apps, but the whole user ecosystem with contacts, calendars, images, notes, SMS, MMS and all other user files - a backup in the cloud, compatible with the new Windows phones, so the N8 Belle users are encouraged to upgrade to a Nokia Windows phone later. The OVI / Nokia cloud is not what it used to be, and an upgrade from Symbian to a Windows phone using the current tools is complicated even for a skilled user.

The suggestion will upset the Nokia Suite team, but then so be it, we need to move forward!

There is no way that Nokia is going to make things the way they were in Symbian Anna, and no way that Nokia will provide official tools to roll back from Belle to Anna or earlier. If a user need that and is absolutely committed to do so, the information can easily be found outside this forum. And don't come back here crying about a bricked phone - all remaining warranty and official support expires.

Regards,

Hans

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

You have an interesting perspective on this.  Unfortunately, I think what you wrote really does match the way Nokia is thinking.  The difference is, you see that as a solution, while others will see it as a problem.

I'm glad that there was a fix for the problems that Danish users were experiencing - that's great!

Yes, I realize that people from Nokia did acknowledge the list that we collected here - for better or worse, at least it organized all the issues into a single list.  At the time, I think that many of us were expecting to see the problems corrected.

I accept that you are "confident we are going to see a Belle update for older devices to correct obvious errors and UI mistakes", but I would be much more impressed were this to come from Nokia as an official announcement.  None of us can really speak for Nokia - that's something Nokia has to do.

Personally, I can't accept your comments about how even the Asha 300 might be more powerful than the N8 - a year ago, many of us thought the N8 was the best phone on the market, based on all the features and power.  Nothing is ever perfect, but it was the closest thing to perfect that was available on the market.  Then Belle came along and "crippled" it, removing features and functions.  Whether the Asha 300 is "better" is an opinion you're welcome to.  To me it's irrelevant - I wanted the N8 for what it could do back then, and feel the same way today.  Struggles with Nokia Maps?  Maybe yours does; for me, Nokia maps is the single reason I haven't given up on Nokia yet.  I don't see the phone "struggling", and am extremely pleased with the way Maps works right now.  (Maps is the one area where Nokia HAS continued to improve the N8.)

I don't know what you mean by this: " The N8 hardware limitations are not going to stop the programmers from adding new features to Belle, and the N8 is left behind with less features than new phones."    ......I think you meant to write that you think the hardware limitations WILL prevent the developers adding new features.......       but that's not the point.  It's foolish to think of "new features" until the existing features are fixed, so they work once again.

The cloud??????   The place I need the N8 the most is in the middle of India, where there is no cloud, and often no connection period.  The LAST thing I'm worried about is anything to do with a "cloud".  Sorry, but to me, that's like worrying about the shiny outside finish on a car, while the engine is struggling with a serious overheating problem.  If Nokia released a complete cloud system tomorrow, just as advanced as the others now available, it wouldn't do a thing to correct the existing list of problems.

I think one thing you wrote is VERY perceptive, very true, and exactly what the guys in the glass office are hoping for.... "so the N8 Belle users are encouraged to upgrade to a Nokia Windows phone later."   There is so much to say about that....      Some people might like the future as Microsoft sees it, but a person who wanted what the N8 could do, is far more likely to move over to Android.  (It's not your fault for saying this - Microsoft feels that computer users are going to switch from Windows 7 (which a huge number of people are pleased with) to Windows 8 (which computer users still using the "quaint" keyboard and mouse feel is imposible to use).  The original N8, with no updates, did FAR, FAR more than the new Windows phones, despite the phone not being as powerful as an Asha device...    :-)   At any rate, I do think your thoughts match those of the bigshots at Nokia, and my prediction is that these ideas will drive bankrupt the whole company.

You didn't quite mean it that way, but I also agree with you that (Symbian) " is complicated even for a skilled user."  That's like comparing "Microsoft Paint" to "Photoshop".  One is simple, the other is powerful.  To learn all the capabilities, takes effort.  Dumbing down the phone so everything is simple is silly - just provide a different phone that's "dumbed down" so it's effortless to use, and ALSO provide a phone like the N8.  Camera manufacturers and others do this - so can Nokia.  99.9% of the market won't care that you can mount a remote computer drive on the N8 and use it as if it were a computer, but there are people who did (and do) appreciate features like that.  99.9% of the market won't take advantage of the wonderful camera capabilities of the original N8, but there are others who very much do!

Final thought - I'm glad the following came from you, and not from Nokia:

"There is no way that Nokia is going to make things the way they were in Symbian Anna, and no way that Nokia will provide official tools to roll back from Belle to Anna or earlier. If a user need that and is absolutely committed to do so, the information can easily be found outside this forum. And don't come back here crying about a bricked phone - all remaining warranty and official support expires."

I've got to thank you for writing that.  I'm more and more afraid that you might be right.

...design and sell a fantastic device that blows away the competition.

...fire all the guys who mad it possible, or ship them off to Accenture

...release an "update" that cripples the device, while making it look "pretty".

...refuse to provide a way for users to restore their phone's capability

...tell those same people that they can hack their phones if they want to fix them,at the risk of destroying them.

Thanks for posting.  What you see as "a solution", I see as "the problem".  I suspect we both see the writing on the walls, and I'm afraid that we might be right.

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

I'm a pensioner with time to spare, and I tend to keep the same clothes, shoes, motorbike and mobile phone until it is completely worn down. Please do not over-analyze my posts, just read it from top to bottom.

I do not agree with your dissing of Belle, and we do not need to agree.

Cheers, 

Hans

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Roveel

If I'm correct the Nokia 808 PureView will be released with Nokia Belle. Please Nokia fix these issues before you release the phone!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

To hpholm - I apologize if I said what I did in a way that upset you. That was not my intent. Everyone here should be able to enjoy the forum. Maybe after all this time, I'm just a little too frustrated, and it shows. Sorry.

Maybe if I get some free time, I'll separate the long list of what's needed for the N8 into two separate lists:

#1 - what's broken, missing, or not right

#2 - a wish list for the future

I think that many of us would be happy if the obvious problems were corrected, even if the wish-list stuff never got looked at.
Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

Hi Mike_Myers,

I am not a social person, and English is my second language, so I usually back off when debates become complicated and/or drift off-topic. You do not upset me, I am used to unmoderated usenet newsgroups. - I just wanted to clarify my point of view and opinion.

The more posts and the more different opinions from different people the better!

In addition to your #1 and #2 lists I propose a

#3 - list of workarounds for Belle

1. Store pictures on E: internal memory

- Location info (geo-tags) and album information metadata is lost when the phone is restarted if pictures are stored on F: memory card. A safe eject and reinsert of the memory card restores the missing information, but only until the next phone restart.

2. Restart the phone after using backup in Nokia Suite

- Backup needs to close the Maps background process if Maps have been used plus the "All WRT Widgets" (and perhaps more). The phone is in an unpredictable state until it is restarted.

3. Copy music to the phone in mass storage mode, and let the phone index the music

- Even if all music is properly tagged, some metadata information is lost when copying to the phone through Nokia Suite.

That is just the 3 most important (IMO!) workarounds on my N8 to ensure stability.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

Hans, can you please do the following:

a) highlight the last "full" listing you can find. Maybe I can separate what I've gathered so far into "issues" and "want list".

b) copy the whole thing, and paste it into Notepad or some similar program.

c) add your information as you see fit, move things around if you wish to, and then paste it back into this forum.

Google has made their newest Android phone available in the USA for only $400, fully unlocked. I just bought one. In some ways, the N8 is physically a better phone, and just about all the problems are fixable, should Nokia wish to expend the time, effort, and $$$.  I don't see that happening, and in a few months I'll be back in India, where I can't take advantage of this offer.

Based on your attitude, and what you've written, and your willingness to stick with "older" things that are still quite good, I think you'll be the perfect person to do this.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nvel

@Mike_Myers_N8:
I just had to reply to your post and thank you for putting things so close to how I would describe them.
I completely agree with the Paint - Photoshop comparison. Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY what is going on in the present and sometimes I feel like I am the only one who has this impression.
Phones are dumbed down because "in the end, it's a bussiness" and "we need to adapt to what people want", however, nobody seems to care anymore for providing powerful tools, also.
I think users should be educated into caring for functionality too, and not only for "pretty" looks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Nvel, what we "see" as the problem, probably looks to Nokia like the "solution". I suppose it's a reasonable choice at their end, given that the Symbian programmers have left, and the new MS organization may not want to (or be able to) deal with all this complexity.

I don't like that, but I can accept it. I guess I've already accepted it, despite my desire to have a N8 in my pocket.

If I was in the glass office at Nokia, I'd probably do the same thing. On the other hand, if I had been in the glass office a year ago, I'd have worked with Android to create new devices. (There is a Windows phone forum here at Nokia, to see how the existing choice is working out.)
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I think it might be helpful to separate the huge list into two sections.  The first is "bugs", things that are missing or broken in Belle.  I'm not familiar with all of these - they have been copied from what everyone has posted in this thread.  I tried to exclude anything that could be considered a "wish list" including everyone's suggestions on how to improve on Belle.  That will all be in the following response.

Here's the list I came up with.  Once again, if I've left something out, please copy/paste and include whatever it is that was omitted....

SUMMARY of BELLE PROBLEMS
May 24, 2012, 5:00pm US time

Wifi EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2 Authentication bug needs to be fixed
bug with speakerphone and C7 & N8 - no tone indicating "speak now" in hands free
phone doesn't show whether headphones are connected, even though they are
During call if another call connects 2nd call goes to speaker and cannot be switched
for many headphones sound not diverted to 3.5mm jack & music plays through device speaker
complaints about short battery life
"Remote Drives" to be returned to the file manager via Options > map remote drive.
reset using *#7370# code and rebooted, phone now asking for New Security Code
return the ability to create sub folders within folders
Backup and Restore not reliable - doesn't fully bring back everything.
camera quality deteriorated especially in low light.
improve the zoom in for photos like anna
many (and larger) videos no longer play, & file extensions not supported
Captured videos, downloaded videos do not appear in VIDEOS
Gallery- pictures disappear from folders following power cycle
allow multiple eMail accounts to show on homescreen.
store emails in the mass memory
eMail menu text size unaffected by settings
Reinstate podcast module for music app
Need to show many upcoming calendar events, not just one.
missed a calendar event, now not able to get rid of notification.
speaker volume not loud enough
return the missing 'profiles' as were available pre-Belle
fix the home screen clock so that date an time can be easily read (as before)
if you lock the phone with the hardware button, it should not be turned on by bumping the screen
in power save mode, the phone should not roam
bug - camera shutter sound doesn't play when in a custom profile
bug - captured videos appear in GALLERY, not VIDEOS

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Wish List for Belle

Here is everything that has been removed from the list I just posted.  This could be considered a "wish list" for Belle.  For the most part, the list seems to be a collection of things that more or less work right now, but could work much better - or suggestions for features that don't exist yet, but which would be helpful.

SUMMARY of BELLE WISH LIST
May 24, 2012, 5:00pm US time

HARDWARE-- Ability to choose the charging LED as notification light on an E7
HARDWARE-- Correct excessively loud notifications through headphones
HARDWARE-- Stop inadvertent unlock/answer phone/cancel alarm etc (eg reinstate swipe)

WEB-- New improved browser with HTML 5 working with the latest FLASH PLAYER
WEB-- Links in browser and Nokia store are accidently selected unless your scrolling very fast
WEB-- add Bookmarks to homescreen as a direct shortcut or shortcut to folder
WEB-- web browse in full screen
WEB-- Add a yellow star icon for Bookmarks in the browser
WEB-- Create RSS reader (ideally with widget)

SOFTWARE-- Automated or manual option to put homescreen widgets online/offlline.
SOFTWARE-- whatsapp integration with notification bar/ widget
SOFTWARE-- add delete icon at the bottom middle of mail.
SOFTWARE-- Provide a quick and easy way to temporarily lock/unlock screen orientation
SOFTWARE-- Allow access to c:\private folder without having to hack the phone
SOFTWARE-- 2g/3g toggle widget
SOFTWARE-- connections drop down menu on home screen should allow selecting all profiles
SOFTWARE-- menu scrolling should be customizable
SOFTWARE-- missing "Mark Multiple" tick at the bottom of the Gallery
SOFTWARE-- Internet Radio does not anymore show the artist /track name playing
SOFTWARE-- Voice dialing doesn't work properly in C7 Belle
SOFTWARE-- phone forgets calling mode. If left it in Dial pad, phone book, or log it should remember.
SOFTWARE-- DTMF pad vanish when starting call & end key vanish when accessing DTMF pad during call
SOFTWARE-- Whatsapp title bar at the top disappears when I want to type a message. .
SOFTWARE-- "home network only" selection instead of or addition to manual mode for network selection
SOFTWARE-- Don't give warning messages about "mobile data" when it is not turned on.
SOFTWARE-- include a built in timer
SOFTWARE-- Return Nokia Bubbles as an option
SOFTWARE-- the "mark Multiple" tick should always be available when there are multiple items
SOFTWARE-- provide more languages, and a way to download from PC
SOFTWARE-- Pop ups re situations & deactivating power saving are too invasive
SOFTWARE-- make screen saver adjustable.
SOFTWARE-- signal and battery level disappear when searching contacts
SOFTWARE-- To-do list needs to be multi-level
SOFTWARE-- Separate wallpaper for lock screen rather than that of the current home screen
SOFTWARE-- Integrate Nokia battery monitor into basic o/s
SOFTWARE-- Allow easy access to all power-related options in one place
SOFTWARE-- Allow user to alter/save battery saving profile
SOFTWARE-- Power Save Mode: force theme effects to be disabled .
SOFTWARE-- Calendar New Event window - subject & location lines too narrow and text cut off
SOFTWARE-- Calendar event - simple text note display in the calendar widget on homescreen

CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Camera UI taskbar takes up part of screen, can't be hidden. Needs transparent.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- automatically group images in albums sorted by date or alphabets in the gallery
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- camera interface icons removed from the bottom back to where they used to be.

MESSAGING-- Option to be able to show Folder view when opening messaging app.
MESSAGING-- should give the option of opening to folder view
MESSAGING-- Insert an application to schedule SMS
MESSAGING-- When removing or deleting email, go to received emails on that account.
MESSAGING-- return  ability to press and hold on an email to get a delete option.
MESSAGING-- Return the ability to easily add a "smiley face" in a message, as in Anna
MESSAGING-- conversations - add a small "close" button on the top right of each message s
MESSAGING-- Make SMS counter to appear when not typing through on-screen keyboard.
MESSAGING-- Allow user to select where to store contacts (phone or mass storage)
MESSAGING-- Cannot delete unread messages
MESSAGING-- Ability to email, sms, or mms when typing a name from the home screen.
MESSAGING-- when removing/deleting email if taken to homescreen, shutdown email app.
MESSAGING-- Add delete button on the task bar when opening a message conversation.
MESSAGING-- message preview or sender info in notification bar
MESSAGING-- option - folders view as default for sms viewing - new incoming mails or from the app
MESSAGING-- on-screen keyboard should open when selecting a new sms message
MESSAGING-- sms/missed call event notification - select between widget or popup menu
MESSAGING-- email wastes too much screenspace, needs to display multiple emails addresses.
MESSAGING-- message bubble opening message like with anna

MUSIC-- Music player doesn't go to "now playing" when you click on the music widget.
MUSIC-- Music player should display the track number.
MUSIC-- Adding song to playlist from "now playing" screen
MUSIC-- music player - Artists and Albums should be separate.
MUSIC-- music player needs user-definable equaliser
MUSIC-- Allow scroll through artists/genres/all, then click to see albums/tracks (at choice)

CALENDAR-- Allow variable snooze times (as in MS outlook)
CALENDAR-- Allow easy separation of to do lists/engagements (day/week view with/without to do lists)
CALENDAR-- Create day at-a-glance view (whole day without lots of scrolling)
CALENDAR-- Create customisable calendar/to do widgets

WIDGETS-- smaller Anna-style widgets for mail, calendar and clock
WIDGETS-- nokia notifications widget/ pop down message preview like on anna
WIDGETS-- Notifications Widget
WIDGETS-- need scientific calculator
WIDGETS-- calculator does have a clear screen button when the screen has data,
WIDGETS-- Battery status indicator like the one in anna
WIDGETS-- Widget appearance modified by going from 'portrait' to 'landscape'.
WIDGETS-- Provide Widget that will "lock/unlock" all screens, so nothing can be accidentally changed.
WIDGETS-- Automated option "go online every day at a given time
WIDGETS-- Allow widgets to work on more than one home screen.
WIDGETS-- need more skins & sizes for clock,music player,calender,email widgets.
WIDGETS-- need widget to show all new events in one place
WIDGETS-- need widget to show all missed events in the home screen
WIDGETS-- Option to tap the battery icon to show how much battery is left in %
WIDGETS-- option to tap battery icon and select "Activate Power saving mode"
WIDGETS-- Option to add only a single small favourite contact.
WIDGETS-- RSS widget
WIDGETS-- Battery status indicator
WIDGETS-- widgets changing colour along with theme
WIDGETS-- need missing Widgets -2g/3g toggle, Big Analogue Clock, Big Calendar, BT Toggle (BlueTooth)
....Cellular Toggle, Mobile Data Tracker, Small Music Player, Offline Toggle, RSS Feed
....silent Toggle, Visual Bookmarks, Multi Photo Collage widget, Mobile Data Tracker

MENU/ICONS--shortcuts, widgets, and contacts should rotate when the phone is flipped
MENU/ICONS--The icon shortcut for maps favorites is missing.  
MENU/ICONS--allow user to decide whether or not to display labels for icons
MENU/ICONS--re-enable use of the navigation key to select icons
MENU/ICONS--re-enable the icon to change home screens
MENU/ICONS--add the option to use a menu click and "show open applications"
MENU/ICONS--add the option to use a menu click and "show open applications"
MENU/ICONS--carrier name disappear when accessing the menu or contacts
MENU/ICONS--Messaging tabs aren't optimised for vertical use
MENU/ICONS--ping Back/Menu icon (bottom left) does not work consistently.
MENU/ICONS-- - select between left/right sliding 5.pages or scroll down menu
MENU/ICONS--make an mosaic screen for homescreens so we can straight to any homescreen.

LOGS-- log should be the same whether selecting the the log from the phone or from the menu.
LOGS-- Log WLAN and Packet Data connections.

MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation.Camera & video
MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation
MAPS-- provide a simple and convenient method to import and export GPS coordinates
MAPS-- No backup ability for map favorites without going on-line
POSITIONING-- Reinstate GPS satellite status/position coordinates module
POSITIONING-- Allow access to positioning methods from map settings menu

SOCIAL-- Relocate refresh button to first, or a top corner of widget near update status
SOCIAL-- Refresh rate of social widget to be user selectable
SOCIAL-- Top scroll down bar should continue to work while social app is running.

STORE-- should be able to hide downloads so you can keep browsing

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

[ Edited ]

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

Here's the list I came up with.  Once again, if I've left something out, please copy/paste and include whatever it is that was omitted....

bug - camera shutter sound doesn't play when in a custom profile

Camera shutter does sound in custom profiles on my N8, as long as "Warning Tones" is set to ON. This might be due to my having "Situations" installed, (so could only be considered a work around).

Having warning tones off in any profile silences the camera, but again that might be due to situations

Edited to add:

I have just realised that this bug report might refer to the "Custom" setting in the camera itself, but again my N8 isn'taffected.

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Revised (thanks for the explanation):

SUMMARY of BELLE PROBLEMS
May 24, 2012, 9:00pm US time

Wifi EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2 Authentication bug needs to be fixed
bug with speakerphone and C7 & N8 - no tone indicating "speak now" in hands free
phone doesn't show whether headphones are connected, even though they are
During call if another call connects 2nd call goes to speaker and cannot be switched
for many headphones sound not diverted to 3.5mm jack & music plays through device speaker
complaints about short battery life
"Remote Drives" to be returned to the file manager via Options > map remote drive.
reset using *#7370# code and rebooted, phone now asking for New Security Code
return the ability to create sub folders within folders
Backup and Restore not reliable - doesn't fully bring back everything.
camera quality deteriorated especially in low light.
improve the zoom in for photos like anna
many (and larger) videos no longer play, & file extensions not supported
Captured videos, downloaded videos do not appear in VIDEOS
Gallery- pictures disappear from folders following power cycle
allow multiple eMail accounts to show on homescreen.
store emails in the mass memory
eMail menu text size unaffected by settings
Reinstate podcast module for music app
Need to show many upcoming calendar events, not just one.
missed a calendar event, now not able to get rid of notification.
speaker volume not loud enough
return the missing 'profiles' as were available pre-Belle
fix the home screen clock so that date an time can be easily read (as before)
if you lock the phone with the hardware button, it should not be turned on by bumping the screen
in power save mode, the phone should not roam
bug - captured videos appear in GALLERY, not VIDEOS

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

Re: Wish List for Belle

wow. what a list! sounds like a tech/dev bug list in those bugzilla websites! i doubt if nokia tech team themselves have this type of list. no wonder mr. elop called symbian a burning platform. i really really really want to get to know the engineers behind the latest symbian. atleast the person in charge. nokia with such decades of experience, and symbian, with such a background, can afford to make these kind of mistakes, is mind boggling. from a user perspective, from a very superficial level, the following are my most most most annoying belles: 1. SMS notification pop-up 2. You tube video mangled 3. packet data logging: psiloc has an app, but it does not work with the filter option in the log app. 4. email widget 5. calendar widget 6. clock widget 7. SMS folder view 8. theme: it is pathetically ugly. i changed it to midnight theme, and my E7 looks beautiful, except for the white icons in the contacts app and settings app. S^3 had better and colourful icons. Things i like in belle: 1. smoother menus 2. simplification of menus and options 3. screen saver digital clock: yes, it does not do landscape, but it is good, i don't need a watch! 4. faster and smoother portrait-landscape conversions: S^3 lagged. BTW, i only intend to put in my own experience, nothing to refute / add / qualify what mike myers n8 listed. as you can see, clearly, the benefits DO NOT outweigh the bad, unfortunate, pathetic and unnacceptable woes of belle. along with so many other nokia E-series users, i desperately await the update to this belle!
desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.