Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

List of Belle additions/corrections needed

Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Re: List of Belle additions/corrections needed

I'll update the list with the above items, maybe over the coming weekend. Maybe I should try to separate out "bugs" from the software changes? If you guys think that would help, I'll do so.

As for me, I've still got my two N8 phones, the original one running Anna, and the second one I bought for testing, running Belle. I'm back in the USA right now, and after learning how to transfer my contacts from N8 to my iphone 3GS (also for testing), I used "phone switch" to update my older N8 with all the contacts from my "belle" N8. The transfer went flawlessly, and I notice they make it easier to tell which direction data will be copied in (although I think the phone wanted to "sync" the phones, rather than a one-way transfer which is what I wanted. I clicked "cancel", and did it again, and this time it asked me first, as it should always do. I think that's a problem - I suspect, from what I read, that the first time the phone automatically does a "sync" which would have been a disaster for me!

Anyway, that part went smoothly, but after doing so, I had both phones, side-by-side, and got to compare things. Yikes!!

The older "Anna" phone looks like a high-tech, more advanced copy than the newer "belle" phone. Even in the contact listings, in Anna, I see phone numbers in the long list, while in Belle, I only see names.

My first advice to Nokia regarding that huge list of changes posted up above, would be to fix all the Anna items so they can be found in Belle, and work at least as well, if not better.

If my choice was to be N8-Anna vs. iPhone, I would stick with Nokia.

If my choice was to be N8-Belle vs. iPhone, the only thing preventing me from switching would be Nokia Maps.

Nokia still has the "best" phone available for sale at any price, but too much of it is being rendered unusable by the latest Belle software.

(...and my advice to Nokia for the future, is to introduce new software like this through the Beta Labs program, and allow people to switch back to the working version if they are too unhappy with bugs, until the problems get corrected.)
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

My first advice to Nokia regarding that huge list of changes posted up above, would be to fix all the Anna items so they can be found in Belle, and work at least as well, if not better.

If my choice was to be N8-Anna vs. iPhone, I would stick with Nokia.

If my choice was to be N8-Belle vs. iPhone, the only thing preventing me from switching would be Nokia Maps.

Nokia still has the "best" phone available for sale at any price, but too much of it is being rendered unusable by the latest Belle software.

(...and my advice to Nokia for the future, is to introduce new software like this through the Beta Labs program, and allow people to switch back to the working version if they are too unhappy with bugs, until the problems get corrected.)

Regarding that comment in bold about Nokia maps - similar for me - Nokia / OVI maps was the killer app for me, and staying with Nokia handsets.

I say "was" because they've gone and ruined even that with 3.08 and 3.09. I currently have 2 Nokia handsets a 5230 I run sim-less, with Nokia maps(3.06) in offline mode if I just want to use a sat nav in the car, and my N8 running Anna and 3.06 of maps.

And for me, 3.06 had it all - proper multi-stop routes, traffic configurable (ie you could choose whether to follow the traffic diverted route), you could also configure how often it polled the traffic servers over data for updates, and sync of favourites and routes could be configured to be automatic (ie synced with your maps / ovi account at maps startup, and sync of any changes or new favourites you've added when closing maps). Also, there was a separate and intuitive walk function.

All that has gone / been neutered or totally dumbed down in later versions, in favour of a flashier GUI and menu, and the apparent drive to oversimplilfy everything (I made the point in betalabs about being able to have simple / default options, and advanced config if need be - but they ignored such comments, and favoured some dogmatic standpoint about it always being better to simplify things, and better to just rip out things they thought didn't work well).

After all the shouting, they (grudgingly, it appears) brought back the advanced routing / multi-stop thing in 3.09 - but all the other things that made Nokia maps a competent alternative, compared with standalone automotive sat navs (which is what I ditched when first getting my 5230) are slowly but surely being eroded.

And that's what most people don't seem to get in this whole furore about Belle - people started off with a certain set of features, functionality, and configurables, that have been largely changed and neutered over time, and have ended up with a product that's quite different.

For me, Belle and 3.08 / 3.09 of maps is not what I bought into - it's not what I ditched my automotive standalone sat nav for - I wouldn't have ditched it if the choice was between the current offerings and what I had.

That's not just people being picky, or bickering about a few semantics and usability differences - that's people pointing out that the product doesn't work the same, doesn't work as well, and isn't what many bought into when they bought their handset.

Belle has just been made available for my particular N8 over the last day or two. I'd already decided not to go with it, because what it brings with it and how it works inherently appear inferior to what I'm currently running on my N8. From where I'm sat, that's a huge shame, because now the key / killer app for me that was on Nokia handsets, is no  longer that, and I have no person reason to stay with them.

The only factor that still makes Nokia maps more useful than say google maps (say on an android handset) for me, is the ability to preload maps and regions, so you don't necessarily need to use data to use the handset as a sat nav - but how long will that remain?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Here check some of mine:-
Hope Nokia implements most of them.

/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/All-about-Symbian-Belle-Problems/td-p/1269175

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Advisor
t9rfbb

Performing a re-install of Belle may help solve some performance problems, though it won't fix things which are missing or downgraded from Anna.  Here is my experience:

I did a re-install of Belle on my E7 after endless frustration with the touch screen hanging, or the phone hanging, or even some spontaneous shutdowns.  At times I couldn't even answer a call because things were frozen and the phone would just keep ringing untill the call went to the message centre.

Before I did the re-install I did two backups of the phone, once with Nokia Suite and once with Nokia PC SuiteNote: these are two very different software applications which run on your WIndows PC.  This turned out to be a very important step - explanation follows.

After doing the two backups I did a hard reset of the phone - *#7370#.

Next I used Nokia Suite to re-install Belle.  Of course, once Belle was operating again I had lost all my home screen customizations, WIFI settings, pairing, etc., etc.  The same thing had happened when I upgraded from Anna to Belle.  However, my contacts were restored during the re-install.

Then I used Nokia Suite to restore the backup I had done.  Some things were restored.  But my home screen and other customizations were still missing, as well as things like WIFI settings and map favorites.

Finally, I used Nokia PC Suite to restore the backup I had done with it.  Eureka!  Everything was back and functioning.

It has been 10 days since I did the re-install.  I have not had any freezing up of the phone or the touch screen and no sudden, unexplained shutdowns.  The phone definitely runs smoother, and perhaps a bit faster.

Since the Belle reinstall I have done all the updates including Social and Microsoft apps (neither of which I use).

I have the following extra apps installed (all free):

Maps for USA and Canada

Angry Birds

Anglemeter

Converter

GPSInfoQT

Countdowntimer

Parking2

Nokia Internet Radio

CalQtlator

Memory Status

ScreenSnap

App Stop

Nokia Battery Monitor 3

Nokia Sleeping Screen

LmManager

Operamobile 12

I have installed, tried, and removed a number of other apps.

The phone is still working well.  Too bad I can't view flash in Opera and must use the Nokia browser for Youtube, etc.

Now if Nokia would provide an update to Belle which fixes the problems listed here by Mike Myers (with contributions by many others) I might think I died and went to heaven.  :smileyvery-happy:

Note that I do not use a data service from my provider.  I tried it for a couple of months but found little use for it and the expense too great.  I do connect often to the Internet using WIFI on my home and business routers.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

t9rfbb, can I ask which version of PC Suite you're using? I've got 7.1.62.1 which seems to work fine with the N8; I stopped checking for updates, as I figured they would be as messed up as all the other updates I've been struggling with.

Give me a few more days, and I'll try to update the long list, moving "bugs" into their own category.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
An00bis

9 Increase battery life

Seriously, I have to charge my phone almost daily, and I don't speak that much on the phone, and only play 1-2 games a few minutes a day. In Anna OS, battery lasted forever. I did a test once, I played music on the headphones for about 12 hours and only 1-2 battery lines were spent.

7 Maybe an option that lets you only hve to tap the screen once, in any place except the lower menu bar in order to start recording a vid or make a photo? That button is too tiny and you tend to miss it, and when you do you accidentally make a digital zoom and **bleep** up the pic.

7 Thumbnails in the file browser app

My old 5310 had this, so why not the n8? 

5 Resizable widgets/shortcuts

4 Customable Music Equalizer

Like in my 5310 phone, I mean that phone had a 2 mb ram (you couldn't even play some java games because they used too much of your ram), a **bleep** processor and was s30, why does N8 miss some of its features?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
coolani

[ Edited ]

There's one more problem I face everytime when I connect my N8 to PC/laptop via USB cable.

When I connect it for the first, the cell shows "USB connected Nokia Suite" three times in a row with pause of a second inbetween, disconnecting automatically each time inbetween that onscreen message. Also it does not start USB recharging. Then the "Nokia N8-00" windows pops up on the task bar and I can start using PC/laptop for data transfer of Nokia suite. Still charging doesn't start.

But if I remove the USB cable and reconnect it, the cell immediately connects, shows the on screen message once, starts charging and "nokia N8-00" pops up on task bar.

I do not need to connect the cell every day but whenever I need it, it's very annoying.

On Anna it used to work flawlessly with same N8, same USB cable, same Nokia suite and same PC/laptop.

Was wondering anyone else is faceing the same?

One more thing I just noticed, the date on the top right corner of drop down bar does not show AM/PM in 12 hour format..!!( ofcourse it's not needed in 24 hour format) Whos that idiot who removed such basic thing? As I'm aware of, whenever the time is in 12 hour format it has to be with AM or PM. Atleast that's what was tought in my school.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Quick note: I will try to update the main list later today. However, some things may not belong on the list...

Battery life - I don't think this is a "problem". My N8 will easily go for two or more days before a charge. Of course, I've got widgets and other things off-line, and I don't do many of the things that eat up battery life. If others are experiencing problems because they do things that use up the battery charge faster, that's not something that can be corrected in our phones - they'll need to get a phone with a larger capacity battery. It's like gas mileage in a car. If you drive 30mph you can go much further than if you drive at 100mph. It's a choice, of how we use the capacity we are given. ...or, perhaps your particular phone has a problem.

Ditto for Nokia Suite. With both of my phones, using Windows Vista Professional, the latest official release of Nokia Suite, and a Sony VAIO laptop, there have never been any issues. My suggestion is you try to connect your phone to a different PC running the latest version of Nokia Suite, and see what happens. If the problem goes away, then it may be due to either your computer or the installation of Nokia Suite.

Backups - (very important) - based on what is written up above, the problem is with Nokia Suite, not with the N8. If PC Suite makes better backups, we should advise people to use it in addition to Nokia Suite (or instead off). I will do that from now on, creating backups with both programs.

Maps - from what's written above, the problem apparently is with the Maps software, not the N8. Does anyone know if we can still download the older version, and if so, will it work with the new, updated maps?
Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

[ Edited ]

Your March 23 - 26 versions of the list is fine. Just leave it there and hope someone will forward it to the people in charge, together with the complaints and suggestions received through other feedback channels - and then have Nokia tell Accenture to do something about it.

I used Belle long enough to experience the erratic idle power drain. There is a lot of processes running in Belle and some of those are bound to trip over each other, depending of how the phone is used. (A user should not have to reboot the phone after using Maps in order to make sure that the phone will hold power for the next 24 hours). The N8-00 with Anna is good for 7 days in power save mode if the phone is not used. Less than the promised "up to" many hundreds of standby hours in the specs sheet, but far better than having to charge the phone every other night with light use.

I never trusted the the Ovi/Nokia Suite backups. Using MS Outlook for Contacts, Calendar and Notes instead, and rebuild the phone home screens and apps from scratch when needed. The uphill battle experience from the past 15 months has told me that a particular system backup is only valid when it is restored on exactly the same firmware version.

Nokia Maps is embedded into the firmware and cannot be uninstalled. Installing an older Maps version on top of it is possible but messy and unsupported. The country maps data is updated at regular intervals and it also works for i.e Maps 3.06

Thanks for your work on the list.

--

Hans

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Re: Final List of Belle additions/corrections needed

SUMMARY of BELLE CHANGES/CORRECTIONS/ADDITIONS/FIXES
April 2, 2012, 10:00pm US time

HARDWARE-- Wifi EAP-PEAP-MSCHAPv2 Authentication MUST be fixed
HARDWARE-- bug with speakerphone and C7 & N8 - no tone indicating "speak now" in hands free
HARDWARE-- doesn't show whether headphones are connected, even though they are
HARDWARE-- need more speaker volume.
HARDWARE-- During call if another call connects 2nd call goes to speaker and cannot be switched
HARDWARE-- Ability to choose the charging LED as notification light on an E7
HARDWARE-- for many Headphones sound not diverted to 3.5mm jack & music plays through device speaker
HARDWARE-- some users complain about short battery life

WEB-- New improved browser with HTML 5 working with the latest FLASH PLAYER
WEB-- Links in browser and Nokia store are accidently selected unless your scrolling very fast
WEB-- add Bookmarks to homescreen as a direct shortcut or shortcut to folder
WEB-- web browse in full screen
WEB-- Add a yellow star icon for Bookmarks in the browser

SOFTWARE--"Remote Drives" to be returned to the file manager via Options > map remote drive.
SOFTWARE-- Profiles: shows only 5 settings, needs more
SOFTWARE-- Profiles: ability to choose every profile from pulldown menu
SOFTWARE-- reset using *#7370# code and rebooted, phone now asking for New Security Code
SOFTWARE-- return the ability to create sub folders within folders
SOFTWARE-- Power Save Mode: phone should not roam
SOFTWARE-- Power Save Mode: force theme effects to be disabled .
SOFTWARE-- Automated or manual option to put homescreen widgets online/offlline.
SOFTWARE-- whatsapp integration with notification bar/ widget
SOFTWARE-- add delete icon at the bottom middle of mail.
SOFTWARE-- Need a home screen clock with date and time, easily read
SOFTWARE-- Provide a quick and easy way to temporarily lock/unlock screen orientation
SOFTWARE-- Allow access to c:\private folder without having to hack the phone
SOFTWARE-- 2g/3g toggle widget
SOFTWARE-- connections drop down menu on home screen should allow selecting all profiles
SOFTWARE-- menu scrolling should be customizable
SOFTWARE-- missing "Mark Multiple" tick at the bottom of the Gallery
SOFTWARE-- Internet Radio does not anymore show the artist /track name playing
SOFTWARE-- Voice dialing doesn't work properly in C7 Belle
SOFTWARE-- phone forgets calling mode. If left it in Dial pad, phone book, or log it should remember.
SOFTWARE-- DTMF pad vanish when starting call & end key vanish when accessing DTMF pad during call
SOFTWARE-- Whatsapp title bar at the top disappears when I want to type a message. .
SOFTWARE-- "home network only" selection instead of or addition to manual mode for network selection
SOFTWARE-- Don't give warning messages about "mobile data" when it is not turned on.
SOFTWARE-- include a built in timer
SOFTWARE-- Return Nokia Bubbles as an option
SOFTWARE-- the "mark Multiple" tick should always be available when there are multiple items
SOFTWARE-- provide more languages, and a way to download from PC
SOFTWARE-- Pop ups re situations & deactivating power saving are too invasive
SOFTWARE-- make screen saver adjustable.
SOFTWARE-- signal and battery level disappear when searching contacts
SOFTWARE-- To-do list needs to be multi-level
SOFTWARE-- Separate wallpaper for lock screen rather than that of the current home screen
SOFTWARE-- Backup and Restore not reliable - doesn't fully bring back everything.

CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- camera quality deteriorated especially in low light.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- improve the zoom in for photos like anna
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Camera UI taskbar takes up part of screen, can't be hidden. Needs transparent.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- many (and larger) videos no longer play, & file extensions not supported
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Captured videos, downloaded videos do not appear in VIDEOS
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Gallery- pictures disappear from folders following power cycle
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- Camera shutter sound doesn't play when in a custom profile
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- automatically group images in albums sorted by date or alphabets in the gallery
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- camera interface icons removed from the bottom back to where they used to be.
CAMERA/PHOTOS/VIDEO-- captured videos appear in GALLERY, not VIDEOS

MESSAGING-- allow multiple eMail accounts to show on homescreen.
MESSAGING-- store emails in the mass memory
MESSAGING-- eMail menu text size unaffected by settings
MESSAGING-- Option to be able to show Folder view when opening messaging app.
MESSAGING-- should give the option of opening to folder view
MESSAGING-- Insert an application to schedule SMS
MESSAGING-- When removing or deleting email, go to received emails on that account.
MESSAGING-- return  ability to press and hold on an email to get a delete option.
MESSAGING-- Return the ability to easily add a "smiley face" in a message, as in Anna
MESSAGING-- conversations - add a small "close" button on the top right of each message s
MESSAGING-- Make SMS counter to appear when not typing through on-screen keyboard.
MESSAGING-- Allow user to select where to store contacts (phone or mass storage)
MESSAGING-- Cannot delete unread messages
MESSAGING-- Ability to email, sms, or mms when typing a name from the home screen.
MESSAGING-- when removing/deleting email if taken to homescreen, shutdown email app.
MESSAGING-- Add delete button on the task bar when opening a message conversation.
MESSAGING-- message preview or sender info in notification bar
MESSAGING-- option - folders view as default for sms viewing - new incoming mails or from the app
MESSAGING-- on-screen keyboard should open when selecting a new sms message
MESSAGING-- sms/missed call event notification - select between widget or popup menu
MESSAGING-- email wastes too much screenspace, needs to display multiple emails addresses.
MESSAGING-- message bubble opening message like with anna

MUSIC-- Music player doesn't go to "now playing" when you click on the music widget.
MUSIC-- Music player should display the track number.
MUSIC-- Adding song to playlist from "now playing" screen
MUSIC-- music player - Artists and Albums should be separate.
MUSIC-- music player needs user-definable equaliser

CALENDAR-- Need to show many upcoming events, not just one.
CALENDAR-- Calendar New Event window - subject & location lines too narrow and text cut off
CALENDAR-- Calendar event - simple text note display in the calendar widget on homescreen
CALENDAR-- missed a calendar event, now not able to get rid of notification.

WIDGETS-- smaller Anna-style widgets for mail, calendar and clock
WIDGETS-- nokia notifications widget/ pop down message preview like on anna
WIDGETS-- Notifications Widget
WIDGETS-- need scientific calculator
WIDGETS-- calculator does have a clear screen button when the screen has data,
WIDGETS-- Battery status indicator like the one in anna
WIDGETS-- Widget appearance modified by going from 'portrait' to 'landscape'.
WIDGETS-- Provide Widget that will "lock/unlock" all screens, so nothing can be accidentally changed.
WIDGETS-- Automated option "go online every day at a given time
WIDGETS-- Allow widgets to work on more than one home screen.
WIDGETS-- need more skins & sizes for clock,music player,calender,email widgets.
WIDGETS-- need widget to show all new events in one place
WIDGETS-- need widget to show all missed events in the home screen
WIDGETS-- Option to tap the battery icon to show how much battery is left in %
WIDGETS-- option to tap battery icon and select "Activate Power saving mode"
WIDGETS-- Option to add only a single small favourite contact.
WIDGETS-- RSS widget
WIDGETS-- Battery status indicator
WIDGETS-- widgets changing colour along with theme
WIDGETS-- need missing Widgets -2g/3g toggle, Big Analogue Clock, Big Calendar, BT Toggle (BlueTooth)
....Cellular Toggle, Mobile Data Tracker, Small Music Player, Offline Toggle, RSS Feed
....silent Toggle, Visual Bookmarks, Multi Photo Collage widget, Mobile Data Tracker

MENU/ICONS--shortcuts, widgets, and contacts should rotate when the phone is flipped
MENU/ICONS--The icon shortcut for maps favorites is missing.  
MENU/ICONS--allow user to decide whether or not to display labels for icons
MENU/ICONS--re-enable use of the navigation key to select icons
MENU/ICONS--re-enable the icon to change home screens
MENU/ICONS--add the option to use a menu click and "show open applications"
MENU/ICONS--carrier name disappear when accessing the menu or contacts
MENU/ICONS--Messaging tabs aren't optimised for vertical use
MENU/ICONS--ping Back/Menu icon (bottom left) does not work consistently.
MENU/ICONS-- - select between left/right sliding 5.pages or scroll down menu
MENU/ICONS--make an mosaic screen for homescreens so we can straight to any homescreen.

LOGS-- log should be the same whether selecting the the log from the phone or from the menu.
LOGS-- Log WLAN and Packet Data connections.

MAPS-- Ability to delete or edit map favorites from Drive (can be done from Maps).
MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation.Camera & video
MAPS-- Re-enable the auto/Bluetooth connection to work with Nokia Maps Navigation
MAPS-- Return the English "surfer dude" voice to  Voice Navigation on the N8.
MAPS-- Not possible to delete maps history.
MAPS-- provide a simple and convenient method to import and export GPS coordinates
MAPS-- Map widget doesn't support rotation with fingers
MAPS-- No backup ability for map favorites without going on-line

SOCIAL-- Relocate refresh button to first, or a top corner of widget near update status
SOCIAL-- Refresh rate of social widget to be user selectable
SOCIAL-- Top scroll down bar should continue to work while social app is running.

STORE-- should be able to hide downloads so you can keep browsing

Note: I didn't add the changes from /t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/All-about-Symbian-Belle-Problems/td-p/1269175 yet.  I'm not sure if they are problems from Nokia, or problems with one specific phone.  Please advise.

Please use plain text.
sylar_80

Dear all, I think we did a well done job!!!

but I'm wondering if someone from NOKIA is really reading this discussion.

Does somebody know if this list will be ever read  by NOKIA???:smileyfrustrated:

thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
mechanimal82

Nokia do read these boards and the mods pass on anything they think is relevant to the right departments. They may not reply directly on the boards, however you will see that issues raised on these forums may disappear on future updates.
If I have helped you, please hit the star at the bottom of my posts - it's appreciated!
Don't forget if your problem is solved to press the "Accept as Solution" button.
Please use plain text.
sylar_80

Actually I was not waiting for a direct answer from NOKIA (if it would have been appreciated) but at least a sort of official communication on the NOKIA web site where they could either state that Belle has some problems or that they are working on it. Think for example to what Mercedes or Toyota did when realized that there were critical problem on their cars.

I think that a behavior like this would increase a lot the general opinion of customers about NOKIA..

don't you think?

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

I think that Nokia thinks that the future of Nokia is all riding on the Windows cart, and all these other things are no more important than someone posting that they are struggling with their old N95. I hope I'm wrong.

There is a segment of the market that wants a SMART phone, one that really is, and not just in fancy colors and oodles of apps. I suspect a lot of people like this purchased the N8, which may still be the very best phone there is.

If that's the case (and again, I hope I'm wrong) we write off Windows, and Belle, and all the wish-list suggestions for Symbian, at least until/unless someone other than Nokia takes over the Symbian platform. The N8 pre-Belle may be the best we're ever going to get.

It's not perfect (what is), but it's very, VERY good.

-------------------------------------------------

Back to this list. I've heard back from someone at Nokia that the list was passed on to the team that is involved in fixing things, but I don't know if the "team" is a couple of guys in a small room, or literally a team of Symbian experts, who were involved in writing and developing the original code.

My wish - that Nokia would simply release the code for others to work on. What have they got to lose?

I still think the N8 hardware and physical design are EXCELLENT. I also think it's getting more and more crippled by poor, incomplete, and buggy software. I hope this gets corrected while there are still people patiently waiting, and that the updates (when they finally arrive) aren't the equivalent of some company offering a brilliant update tomorrow for 8-track tape players (which are all long since gone....).

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

Mike_Myers_N8 wrote:

I think that Nokia thinks that the future of Nokia is all riding on the Windows cart, and all these other things are no more important than someone posting that they are struggling with their old N95. I hope I'm wrong.

There is a segment of the market that wants a SMART phone, one that really is, and not just in fancy colors and oodles of apps. I suspect a lot of people like this purchased the N8, which may still be the very best phone there is.

If that's the case (and again, I hope I'm wrong) we write off Windows, and Belle, and all the wish-list suggestions for Symbian, at least until/unless someone other than Nokia takes over the Symbian platform. The N8 pre-Belle may be the best we're ever going to get.

It's not perfect (what is), but it's very, VERY good.

-------------------------------------------------

Back to this list. I've heard back from someone at Nokia that the list was passed on to the team that is involved in fixing things, but I don't know if the "team" is a couple of guys in a small room, or literally a team of Symbian experts, who were involved in writing and developing the original code.

My wish - that Nokia would simply release the code for others to work on. What have they got to lose?

I still think the N8 hardware and physical design are EXCELLENT. I also think it's getting more and more crippled by poor, incomplete, and buggy software. I hope this gets corrected while there are still people patiently waiting, and that the updates (when they finally arrive) aren't the equivalent of some company offering a brilliant update tomorrow for 8-track tape players (which are all long since gone....).

Like you, I think that Nokia's focus is on new platform. That seems to be the way the maps product has gone.

Along the way, very good features, options and configuration settings have been removed, neutered or dumbed-down - and I think the impetus behind that whole rationale of making things simple and easy, with less and less options, and removing things they don't perceive as working well or being easy to use, was all a symptom of a change of thinking to follow a new direction, brought on by focus on fitting in with a new platform.

I think that's taken it's toll, previously with the maps app(s) and now the OS, as many have witnessed, and regretted jumping ship with Belle.

It's all form over function and (to abuse a cliche) never mind the quality, feel the swish, I think to fit in with, and appeal to a new platform and the users that go with it.

All of which wouldn't be so bad if it was only affecting the new, Windows phone OS phones - but quite clearly it's not.

I've read posts, here, from people who'd staunchly defend these new versions - but I can only think they use the periphery of them, or don't delve too deep, because certainly for maps, it's resulted in an app(s) that don't work as well, nor can be configured as well, but look more glossy, and have some tweaks on usability. From what I've read on the OS front, it seems the same, there, too.

And here's the thing - I always recognised there were things that needed improving in my N8 - in terms of the OS, and say maps as an app. Most people who've used sat navs for any period will complain about routing algorithms needing improving, navigation and usability functions (audio over bluetooth; traffic options being IMPROVED on, not removed; eco route options; automatic colour scheme changes for night time usage - my first standalone sat nav - a truly budget, entry-level device, a Garmin Streetpilot i3 had this in 2005 FFS!) - not things being ripped out, dumbed down, or neutered, just so it can be said they look nicer, and the rough edges removed.

And as for the OS, I had some functional things that needed seeing to, that were hardly obscure things - music player needed a lot of improving to make it competent compared with standalone mp3 players; the video player needed some improving, too - especially things like bookmarks being made available. But instead all we've had is no improvements for the bugs or failings that were there, just some nice swish to make it look more impressive, and some subtle changes to make it seem like it's easier to use and more intuitive - whilst the shortcomings? From what I've seen, no addressing of them - and support for things removed (flv anyone? DAB wasn't available for a while, I believe it is now - but that's just unacceptable, when Nokia sell a headset that's specifically for DAB functionality, but when Belle comes out, it's use is effectively broken; camera performance degraded - for many that's the raison d'etre for the N8 for them; lists of other things and functions either broken or not working). I just cannot fathom it making sense - no addressing of the bugs and shortcomings, just hand-waving diversion.

But if nothing else, this tells us where the money is - or at least where Nokia's perception of the money is - in attracting or attempting to attract customers for Windows phone users, and users with those priorities.

That many that have stuck with symbian are seeing all of the things that they could cling to as being worthwhile and of benefit slowly eroded shows there's no bottom line in keeping that part of the market happy.

I think it's a shame, but at least my N8 running Anna and maps 3.06 - whilst not perfect, and whilst there's things I'd like to be improved - still works well and I'm happy with it. I'll not "upgrade" any more software on it - because I won't fight with that only to become frustrated at all the things I've left behind, just for the sake of look and feel, or being up-to-date - I almost over-committed with the maps betas that way.

All the while, I cannot help but shake my head with some bemusement - need all this "progress" have such a negative impact on the features, functions and options already present? I'm far from convinced that any dogma I've heard spouted by Nokia in defence of such actions as having any merit other than being self-serving.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
radhwanalnaimi

I agree with all what you said and I think Nokia should not lander this updating before they are sure that it is going to work perfect. It is a shame!!

Please use plain text.
Pappssegull

SIP/Voip did work on Anna, my question in this link.

Please use plain text.
LordJuss

DAMN, I wish they hadn't lost these!

I can't even *find* Power Save Mode!

Touchscreen "clicking":  sometimes over-sensitive, sometimes under-sensitive

- It's almost impossible to tell a "home-screen" short-cut to delete itself.

- It's very difficult to "drag" a shortcut to the next "home-screen" to the right, and

*impossible* to "drag" it to the next "home-screen" to the left!  The asymmetry

annoys me more than the difficulty!

- Sometimes, when a call comes in, the phone refuses to notice that I'm

pushing the "Answer" button repeatedly!

Maps:

- Rrr!--Don't get me started!--All kinds of flaws in Anna, none of which seem to be 

fixed in Belle.

- How difficult can it be, when you're searching for a location, to accept "42.1, -72.3"?

- Even nicer would be the ability to (some kind of special-)click on a map and see the

latitude and longitude of that location.

Please use plain text.
Professor
andy3196

LordJuss wrote:

The bookmarks feature that was in earlier versions wasn't very good anyway as it had no way of identifying the target, which is probably why an alternative has existed for ages as described at http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/item/12835_The_Awesome_AppMe_evolves.php

LordJuss wrote:

I can't even *find* Power Save Mode!

Short press on power button, though there are apps that offer alternative ways, like extra buttons which I have installed. Most of my changes of power save are automatic thanks to Situations and Battery Monitor

N8-00 pc059C9F6 Belle
808 PureView pc059P6W5
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I'll wait a week or so, then update the listing again.

Maybe someone here (Jaff0?) can enter a new thread explaining what to do with an already crippled N8 to get the functionality back. I assume this would include removing Belle, re-installing Anna, and bringing Maps back to Maps 3.06. Maybe there are other changes I haven't thought of.

Nokia can continue down the (seemingly silly) path they are now following, but nobody says we're obligated to follow. For those who enjoy the new fancy design, great - enjoy yourselves! For those who see the phone as a tool, and care more for function than looks, that is also possible.

Will it be perfect? Nope - but neither is anything else out there today.
Please use plain text.