Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Luck of updates

Contributor
jn_m

Luck of updates

Why does Nokia fail to release updates on symbian platforms. Its verry annoying how once you buy a Nokia phone you are stuck on the same old release unlike other platforms (e.g Android) which release regular updates.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Nokia does release updates to its phones... What phone do you have?
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

jn_m wrote:

Why does Nokia fail to release updates on symbian platforms. Its verry annoying how once you buy a Nokia phone you are stuck on the same old release unlike other platforms (e.g Android) which release regular updates.

As blitzkid said, Nokia does release updates. Andriod may release more updates, but to be honest they need it to fix 'holes' in the operating system. Andriod is currently the most hacked mobile operating system on the planet without a doubt. So they need to release more updates just to try protect themselves from the hackers. Apple for instance only release 1 major update every 12 months or so, in fact their last update took more like 15-18 months to release.

Symbian ^3 platform phones had an update which started to rollout in august of last year (2011) and concluded in december (2011). The current rollout for Belle started only a couple of weeks ago. So that is less than 12 months apart, There has also been small updates to change or alter some of the inbuilt applications on the last updates from last year.

So to be honest I am not really sure why you are suggesting that Nokia dont release updates. Nokia doesnt need to release so many updates like andriod does, because it is not constantly under attack like andriod is. Nokia makes a release to give us new or better features.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

blitzkid wrote:
Nokia does release updates to its phones... What phone do you have?

Apparently, he's got a C6-00 (S60v5). 

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

May be you're right... He might have a phone running the forgotten platform of symbian. But that phone model did receive an update a while back.
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jn_m

Nokia C6-00. if its forgotten then it was forgotten to fast meaning someone will have to buy a phone every six months

Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

jn_m wrote:

Nokia C6-00. if its forgotten then it was forgotten to fast meaning someone will have to buy a phone every six months

Hi jn_m,

All the phone makers in the world (no exceptions) put the most of their efforts in their new technology released and for now Nokia's bullseye is Lumia WP and in 2nd place are Belle/Symbian^3 and N9 devices. Your C6-00 is S60V5 and that's, wether you like it or not Nokia's old tech; your phone may be new but you bought old tech.

Even with that said, Nokia has the best support for their devices in the market:

Android releases more minor updates and a big one every year but their old tech only in some rare cases (mostly never) receive an update; the same goes to Apple, you may heard of Siri (Apple's TTS system); look at that, it's not hardware dependent but only the new devices get it. Old devices may upgrade the system but won't get Siri (officially at least).

Nokia in other way, have released a firmware update to their old tech S60V5 devices last year and that's not bad at all.

I hope you can see it in perspective and enjoy your C6-00.

Cheers!!!:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Nokia still does support its old platform... Your phone model did receive an update last year... Pretty soon even first generation symbian 3 devices which got belle recently will join the list of forgotten platforms as Nokia is going all out windows phone. So just like yours, our phones will also become technology of the past. We'll have to accept it gracefully and remind ourselves to do some good research on the next phone we buy, so that we and our phones don't age quickly. :-)
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Sage
noki2000

You're so right blitzkid.

Painfully agree with you. We must make a good research for our next phone.

I've been recently tempted by Android, but new Google's privacy policy keeps me away.

I'll just keep searching.

Cheers!!!

Please use plain text.