Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Message to all N95 US owners (also known as Nokia ...

Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Message to all N95 US owners (also known as Nokia N95-3)

Hi all,

we have just received the following notification from the Nokia Software Update team:

-------------------------
Nokia N95 US version (also known as N95-3)
Nokia is aware of consumers' demand for a new software release, and our development teams are working to produce the new software as soon as possible. We estimate that the new software should be available early June.

Please note that your mobile service provider, operator, or carrier may not have approved the latest Nokia device firmware available. Nokia produces many different variants of each product (for different countries and languages) and not all variants will have the latest Nokia device firmware. It is our priority to update all variants as quickly as possible, and we apologize for any delay.
-------------------------

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Counsellor

Re: Message to all N95 US owners (also known as Nokia N95-3)

[ Edited ]
Thank goodness....I can't believe Nokia actually has issued a statement about this....Now the question is what features/fixes will they introduce in this firmware? What will be ther version number? Will Ngage support be there?

Message Edited by thrashernb on 16-May-2008 02:48 PM
Advisor

Although the current N95-3 FW is probably the most solid FW I have ever used in a Nokia device, I think it is fantastic that Nokia is extending the functionality of the device, free of charge. I know myself and many others have been waiting patiently for such an announcement, so this really is a breath of fresh air -
Mobile Guru
babdi

To see what will be new you keep checking this link
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4777090
If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

this made a lot of people happy at hofo...

Hi, Vandelay

It's good to know that Nokia is issuing this firmware update, many US N95 users have been waiting for it. I'm also glad that Nokia has begun discussing its US service problems on your new blog. Recent posts:
- US N95 firmware update: http://urltea.com/37qe
- US service turnaround time: http://urltea.com/37qg
- Introduction to US service problems: http://urltea.com/37qf

However, Nokia's current firmware update process is, as Beth Kanter posted earlier (http://urltea.com/37qd), very clunky and difficult. Is Nokia planning to make its firmware update process any easier for its customers?

Also, if your firmware update process indeed has a "very low" failure rate, why do Nokia's own service reps discourage users from doing the update unless they're experiencing dire functionality problems? (Beth Kanter captured that happening here: http://qik.com/video/58581)

Also: Currently new N95-3 units in the US are being shipped with old firmware. ZDNet's Matthew Miller recently wrote: "Every other Nokia N95 has received a firmware upgrade, except for the N95-3 North American version that actually came out before some other devices." (http://urltea.com/37j1)

Given that situation, and the difficulty of your firmware update process, can Nokia arrange to update the firmware on new units *before* they are shipped to customers?

From the customer's perspective, it's extremely discouraging and annoying to receive a brand-new phone and immediately have to endure your currently cumbersome firmware update process. Your main competitor in the US high-end phone market (Apple) does not present consumers here with such obstacles.

Finally, does Nokia have any plans to release a Mac-friendly version of its firmware updater? Many N95 users are also Mac users, and it's a major hassle to have to get access to a PC for this function.

Again, I'm *very* glad to hear that you're issuing this update. That is progress. I'm hoping Nokia can address these other firmware-related concerns so you can become truly competitive in the US high-end phone market.

The N95 is a superior product in many ways, and I hope it succeeds here. I believe enhancing Nokia's US service sooner rather than later is the key to success in this market -- especially given that your key US competitor (Apple) offers fast and excellent service.

Thanks,

Amy Gahran
Counsellor

Hey...... ..THIS... IS.. A ... JOKE.. ???? firmware coming soon? really?
Advisor

Thank you NOKIA !! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!
Sage
dani2xll

16-May-2008 02:46 PM
thrashernb wrote:
Thank goodness....I can't believe Nokia actually has issued a statement about this....Now the question is what features/fixes will they introduce in this firmware? What will be ther version number? Will Ngage support be there?

ngage support? I have ngage on my n95-3 running without any problems.
History is a mirror of the past!
And a lesson for the present!
(Persian Proverb)
Advisor

OMG!!! WOW! I'm speechless. Finally.

As for features, Flash Lite 3 and speeding up the camera / gallery would be nice but what REALLY needs fixing is IMAP functionality. My N95-3 won't keep a constant connection to my IMAP server like my E61 does. Strange.
Counsellor

16-May-2008 07:30 PM
dani2xll wrote:

16-May-2008 02:46 PM
thrashernb wrote:

ngage support? I have ngage on my n95-3 running without any problems.

have you tried to purchase a game? Official word from Nokia is that a firmware update is needed for the n95-3 before you will be able to purchase any of the games.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

[ Edited ]

16-May-2008 06:13 PM
agahran wrote:
Hi, Vandelay

It's good to know that Nokia is issuing this firmware update, many US N95 users have been waiting for it. I'm also glad that Nokia has begun discussing its US service problems on your new blog...

Hi Amy, and welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

Let me start by noting that this is a user-to-user troubleshooting forum, and we who run this service are in no position to comment on Nokia's business or technical plans nor policies. However, we are happy to publish any news from Nokia that help Nokia customers get more out of their devices, and getting the word out on the upcoming N95-3 software update is a good example of what this board can be about.

I've known Charlie Schick from Nokia Conversations for a long time, and I think the new blog is a fantastic idea. We're still learning how to make these online services complement each other. Whilst the questions you raised are out of scope for Nokia Support Discussions, I am positive that Nokia Conversations views them as valuable suggestions as to what sort of topics and issues they should cover in the future.

Best regards,
vandelay
Nokia Support Discussions Administrator

edit: I just remembered a great blog post by Charlie about the challenges on running a corporate blog:
http://conversations.nokia.com/home/2008/03/eds-letter-unty.html

Message Edited by vandelay on 16-May-2008 10:27 PM

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Counsellor

Hey, but the firmware of n95-3 is coming soon or not? i think is a JOKE... and is not real.. :smileysad: eight months without update..

the official site nokia is not posted this.. and i hope so that nokia upgrades this RM-160 :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:
Contributor

Good for you guys...
Does Nokia consider their Asian customers good enough to warrant the 3-month old "new" firmware update v21 to be provided for the N95-1, product code 0548986? Seriously, this is not the way I thought Nokia would ignore their customers!
Advisor

I guess I mentioned IMAP issues earlier but here's specifically what I mean.

It seems that IMAP connections "drop" at random times and the "Auto-Retrieve" is DISABLED. What this means is that I could be enjoying IMAP IDLE connections (push IMAP) and would be getting my emails in realtime and then BOOM all of a sudden I look down at my phone and its disconnected for no reason!

We found that Symbian 9.1 phones all seem to have this bug (ie, N95, n95-3, e61, etc) but the Symbian 9.2 phones (N82, etc) do NOT have this bug.

Please fix it! This is the main thing that makes me want to get an iPhone for this functionality.....
Advisor

So Nokia is aware customers demand for a new software release??? You've got to be kidding me, OK Nokia, tell me about the good 'ol N93 and then make that statement,that's BS.
Counsellor

definitely, nokia doesn't care about its N93 customers it seems. The N93 users have been screaming all over this forum about the bugs and begging for a firmware release since the last firmware and Nokia have never issued any statement for them! The N95-3 is another story because since Nokia is making its way to the US market, they have to reassure their small amount of customers in order not to lose them.
Mobile Guru
babdi

N93 has stopped producton due serious problem it had faced, hardware & software wise and hence N-93i, which is stable.
If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Advisor

well, Nokia never said a word on that (but it's so obvious), anyway, if they found that, they should do something for their customers that paid a stupid fortune on that Premium Overpriced piece of Junk
Sage
dani2xll

I wonder how long we will have to wait for v30 fw to put in an appearance for us n95-3 owners.
History is a mirror of the past!
And a lesson for the present!
(Persian Proverb)