Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Model:5800d-1

Contributor
Valk

Model:5800d-1

I just want to know why I'm not able to update to 40.0.005. Is it location orientated? My phone isn't branded so I know that's not the reason. I live in South Africa.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Model:5800d-1

If you're sure that your phone isn't branded then it must be a country-specific variant. They tend to lag behind the generic regional variants.

Does yours support Afrikaans? If so, it's a pretty strong indicator that it's specific to the South African market!

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
andyschar

Hey Valk, I have the same problem... I'm with MTN in South Africa and I have the same "5800d-1" written on the back of the phone. My product code is: 0573481.

I've spoken with both MTN and NOKIA CARE, both of which have been fruitless conversations. On one hand, Nokia said the firmware updates are carrier dependant and thus I should take it up with MTN, but on the other hand, MTN tell me that NOKIA CARE are the people to speak to on 0861166542. 

I called that number and spoke to a chap by the name of Hamza, who was rather short on the phone. He basically told me that although the phones are called the "5800 Xpress Music", they are all different based on their product codes and hence the reason why we are unable to update. Obviously he's meaning that there is a roll-out procedure and that branded phones most likely have preference. 

A friend of mine also has the 5800 via Vodacom (Red), and he was successfully able to update "over the air" by keying in the *#0000# combination. The interesting thing is that his phone isn't branded with Vodacom or Vodafone, nor is locked to Vodacom. Nevertheless, he was able to update.

Lastly, I'm not sure if this applies to you, but it's the only thing I can think of, but this is the second 5800 I've had. The first one's touch calibration went faulty and NOKIA CARE had to replace my phone. I'm wondering if the phones they replace with are generic "non-country" phones - in other words, most likely to be the last to be updated...

Either way, it's rather silly that this situation has come about. The 5800 was my first Nokia phone and after this will certainly be my last. The illogicality of rolling out firmware at different times, via different carriers, for the same phones, is extremely frustrating.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

RM 356 = 8500 d

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

jjegan wrote:

RM 356 = 8500 d

It most certainly is not.

snap000031

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
hashir_azeem

Dear grschinon how did you take such a clear picture of the mobile screen?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Printscreen...

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Advisor
wnok

Where is the PrintScreen function or application located?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Go to Ovi Store and get the Best Screen Snap application. That is the print screen app for the 5800.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Don't get it from the OVI store (I recommend getting software straight from the publisher where possible).

http://www.smartphoneware.com/screen_snap-for-s60-5th-edition-product.php

Please use plain text.