Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N91 Firmware Upgrade

Counsellor

N91 Firmware Upgrade

Hello. I know this has been covered on here before, but I've looked over the net to see if that would offer some advice, but its only served to confuse me further.

I recently bought an N91, and now want to upgrade it to the latest firmware. The Nokia Updater shows that there are no updates available, but I did see some updates on another website. The one I saw was the RM-43_APAC_10.03 and I was wondering if this was the latest version? Or is there a later one and if so can i download it?

I am partially sighted, and would have quite a few problems getting to a Nokia centre, so if I can do this at home all the better. Plus, me being rather tech-hyper, it'd be wonderful to be able to do it myself.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Hussein.
Hussein Patwa
PatwaNet

Nokia 6630 on 3G (UK)
Nokia 6610i - UNLOCKED! YAY!

Currently looking for more cheap & new handsets - you never know when a spare can come in handy! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: N91 Firmware Upgrade

Where did you find this update? I would *not* try to update from un-official sources unless you are willing to risk your device. Updater FAQ says that other models will be available later and I would personally asume that N91 is probably one of the first models to follow. Who knows, maybe it's available in few weeks/days? It's good to follow this discussion and also keep on trying to update every 2 weeks or so - one day you will just have positive surprise and updated N91!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for your reply. I got the update from the dogtoe site, he has an ftp with firmware updates for about 10+ models, the N91 amongst them. Could be that it's not for the UK though - as I said to a friend this afternoon, the last thing I want is to have a newly upgraded phone with dollar signs floating all over the place (no offence to our US friends, lol).

Will continue to check the updater, new firmware for the N91 apparently was released by Nokia on 17 August, but the Updater shows no firmware available, so might re-install it to double check its not a fault on my end.

Would be grateful if anyone in the know could give some heads up on this issue.

Thanks again.

Hussein.
Hussein Patwa
PatwaNet

Nokia 6630 on 3G (UK)

Currently looking for more cheap & new handsets - you never know when a spare can come in handy! :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Personally I would never use cracked service tools available from internet to "fix" my phone. Who knows what the tool will do. One thing that will happen for sure is that using any dogtoe tools *will* invalidate your warranty! FAQ says that all Nseries devices will be supported by the official Nokia Software Updater so I guess as soon as they can Nokia will make also N91 SW available.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise those tools were cracked - thought they were freeware and just released to allow people to upgrade their phones themselves. but now I see your point.

Just hope Nokia release the N91 stuff soon - I want to be able to play with my baby before Uni starts and I end up with no time for it :smileysad:
Hussein Patwa
PatwaNet

Nokia 6630 on 3G (UK)

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hussein

As the other users have said updating your phone from a non official source can invalidate your warranty. The only way to get an official software update for this handset at this time is to take the phone to a Nokia service point. We'd also advise keeping an eye on this page http://nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate which is the only place to download official Nokia updates.

Regards
Threnody
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hey there !
I have also joined the league i.e. my N91 is also on te list of phones that need a upgrade. :-(

first of all, i have N91-1 (India),
but in INDIA, first N91-1 were available, but nowadays N91-5 (without wifi and 3G) is available.

so my question is,
1. will this software update (when it becomes available) deactivate my wifi and 3G functionality 'coz i have N91-1.
and
2. will this software update remove all my contacts, calender etc....

3. if i sync my N91-1 with my PC ,will all the contacts merge with the outlook contacts, 'coz i hv O2 xda IIs (whose contacts are in sync with outlook)

and i don't want those (O2) contacts or calender to mix up with my N91-1's ,when i sync it with my PC.

or does Nokia PC-suite sync and keeps all the data in a different directory of it.

can somebody find a solution to all these queries !!!
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)

rajeev_55309,

be patient. The software available in the NSU right now will change with time. The application will be able to detect what type of phone you have and give you the firmware for that model that you have.

Cheers
-
Karim
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi !

My 91 hangs up more than 5 times a day, sometimes even more than that.

so will some one (Nokia personnel) tell me, that when is this N91 software update going to be available on the software update website !

'coz i don't want to send my phone to a 2 week trip to the nokia service centre,

or is there any other alternative.
and one thing more, when we do a complete backup of the N91 using latest Nokia pc-suite, are all the things like messages, notes, calender, contacts etc.. covered in that.
so that after a possible software upgrade, and restoring that backup file, my phone will have all the things in that verycondition, in which it was before !

and also karim could you give a complete reply from now on, 'coz in ur reply to my earlier post, u just asked me to be patient. and you didn't answered all the others question mentioned !!!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

karim,
NSU states that my phone is up to date and no update is required, im running 1.11.003 In australia. Is this the latest firmware version or is there something wrong??
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Karim,

I'll hold on, much as I'm tempted not to, and wait for the N91 firmware to be released. Was reading some forums earlier that said it should be out in a couple of days? Is there any truth to this?

Also thinking of getting an N70, as the fact that the N91 uses Symbian 60 3rd Edition is causing problems, as a lot of software hasn't been upgraded to work on this platform, and it doesn't appear to be backwards compatible with the standard S60 (or at least my speech applications are not working so i assume this is the case).

Cheers again. Keeping my eyes peeled to the updater.

Hussein.
Hussein Patwa
PatwaNet

Nokia 6630 on 3G (UK)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

i noticed that this morning the updater recognised my N91?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

ALL, if we realised now the N91 is on the front page!!!! But it still does not update!!! can someone confirm the latest version for Australia please!!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Seems that N91 has now been added to NSU. Happy updating!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

04-Sep-2006
11:58 AM
letstalk wrote:
Seems that N91 has now been added to NSU. Happy updating!

if we can get confirmation on what the actual version of firmware Australia is up to as it still has sooooo many problems!!!! Come on Karim can you please confirm this????
Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

Hi walshie_au,

unfortunately we who run this discussion board do not have any information about the latest available firmware version for any country or operator versions.

Unless someone else from Australia knows the answer, you could try contacting your local Nokia Care center for repair info or calling the Nokia Careline:

Repair in Australia
http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,37170,00.html

Careline in Australia
http://www.nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,83760,00.html

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Firmware versions depend on your operator, see FAQ for more details. Also the is other post which tells that if you are NOT getting updates (when you think you should) you should post your Product code to the form http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/discussions/board/message?board.id=swupdate&message.id=451
Please use plain text.
Contributor
talamasca

Hello Everyone,

As you can see n91 firmware update is available from now!!!

I'm from Hungary, and I'm so glad 'couse from today I've got an successfully updated mobile!

Now the version is:
v2.00.052
25-07-06
RM-43
N91 (06.01)

Thanx for Nokia!

PM: Does warranty still valid?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
talamasca

An advice:
You don't have to back up your phone's winchester (like mp3, etc...) only your phone's memory datas!
The applications you had installed on the winchester will install after the upgrade.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

04-Sep-2006
05:08 PM
talamasca wrote:
Hello Everyone,

As you can see n91 firmware update is available from now!!!

I'm from Hungary, and I'm so glad 'couse from today I've got an successfully updated mobile!

Now the version is:
v2.00.052
25-07-06
RM-43
N91 (06.01)

Thanx for Nokia!

PM: Does warranty still valid?

why does Hungary get version 2.00 and asia pacific APAC only get 1.11!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!
Please use plain text.