Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N93 & night video mode: Nokia response

Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

N93 & night video mode: Nokia response

Many of you have been wondering why the N93 shoots night videos in black and white. We just got a clarification to this issue from Nokia.

----------
We would like to clarify that the Nokia N93 black and white video effect being discussed is a feature and is not an error. In earlier software versions, the video colour representation was incorrect in very low light conditions. To overcome this error, a modification was made to reduce the colour towards black and white.
----------

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.
Contributor

that's unbelievable.. nokia, are you out of your mind??
Please use plain text.
Sage

I just did a comparison on my N73, which doesn't have this "feature".

The low light picture was really noisy: lines of red, green & blue all over the image. Switch to B&W and you do get a much smoother, more watchable video.

I'm going to find me a badger tonight...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

lol well done nokia!!!!!!
that response is sooooooo much garbage!!!!!
let me see if i got it correct.....
v11 noght mode shooting does it in colour (with a bit of a green hue) but still i get colour
the v20 "upgrade" shoots video in black and white as a feature.....so please tell me why the N80,N91,N73,N92,N93i and the prototype N95 that i used DO NOT HAVE THIS "FEATURE"?????!!!!
Is nokia trying to insult my intelligence? Come clean nokia!!! you have a problem with the phone and have no idea how to fix the damn thing!!!!! But you are too embarassed to recall the phone!!!!!!
why in the world would i want to recored video in black and white? why would i leave v11 which records video in colour to "upgrade" to v20 to record in b/w???
thats absolutely absurd!!!!
why dont previous models have this "feature" as well? Nokia you need to explain this!!!! you have gone waaaaaay to far with this one imho!!!!!
im so mad right now!!!! i feel insulted and like a total fool spending that sort of money on a phone to have these issues and your stupid explanations and dumb "features"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
patc

To play devil's advocate for a moment, if B&W is good enough for our eyes/brains in low light, why wouldn't it be good enough for a camera ..?

I tried recording some video on my N80 in low light mode over the w/end and while the result was in color, it was completely useless: jerky, slow mo, missing frames, not sync'ed with the sound. I'd much prefer to have had smooth B&W that totally useless color ..
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

Vandalay

I do not quite agree with you given the fact that still pictures under same lighting conditions reproduce colours quite correctly, in night mode, and the pictures come out with vivid details & colour given the fact that the camera uses same lens and same image processing algorithm to process the still picture and a video

I dont know yet, how to put the pictures here which would lay all doubts to rest.

((This message is repated elsewhere too Mods may choose remove the one that is not responded ))
If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

[ Edited ]
Vandalay

Now do you admit that the forth coming N-93i will get released with this bug too ?. If that is so then it is amusing and proves amply that Nokia did nothing to resolve and, guys here, be rest assured that Nokia may not release a firmware upgrade for N-93 for many months to come as B/W recording was one of the major issues in version 20.0.058.

Dont know what more surprises are in store for us. :smileysad:

Message Edited by babdi on 09-Feb-2007
04:36 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

People! Don't blame Vandelay, Blame nokia, Vandelay did nothing except tell us the 'garbage' news from NOKIA. Everyone blame nokia for this :smileytongue:
Nokia N95
V 20.0.015
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

Id never blame van for this! Dont kill the messenger! But this is pure garbage! I have ALL nseries phones except the n95 ALL! And my questions are to nokia why isnt this a feature of ALL NOKIA PHONES? And why doesnt this "feature" happen with the n93i? Samsung here i come! Nokia is worthless ps N93 for sale rather for giveaway!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
bahadir

lols good joke vandelay...:smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]
Samsung? Sony Ericsson!! :smileyhappy: Look at their new launch, i like the W880,
http://www.gsmarena.com/more_to_come_from_sony_ericsson__k810_k550_w880_w610-news-249.php

Message Edited by 6280 on 09-Feb-2007
07:32 PM

Nokia N95
V 20.0.015
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

62-N80 ill like the samsung f500 the one with the antanae or id even get the p850 that i was thinking about check them out
nokia has really disappointed me! Sorry no n95 for me!
"fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me!"
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]
I guess you'd want to remove the nokia stuff from your blog lol, you must really hate nokia:smileysurprised:

Message Edited by 6280 on 10-Feb-2007
02:37 PM

Nokia N95
V 20.0.015
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

RobertH

I see Nokia speaking like Bill gates. A bug becomes a feature
lol ! =)).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

Im so mad yet still highly amused at nokia response b/w feature! Lol why dont the other nseries also have this feature? Lol! Guys it wont surprize me if they have an n95i! Guess thats how nokia solves the issues! Why not release the n93i fw for the n93? I mean that would be good n93i consumes less power because of the 950 battery and if applied to the n93 i wouldnt have to charge everyday! Pictures are better on the n93i and IT DOESNT HAVE THE B/W "FEATURE"
ADVICE TO NOKIA RELEASE N93i FW FOR N93 CALL IT V21 AND YOU WONT HAVE TO SPEND SO MUCH TIME IN THE FIELD TRYING TO SOLVE A FEATURE AND SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE AND EMBARASSMENT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

Roberth
It may not be so easy. They must have tweeked the hardware and god forbid if they push N-93i firmware to N-93 whatever works in N-93 will cease to :smileyhappy:)
Please use plain text.
Sage
libra17

10-Feb-2007
02:40 PM
babdi wrote:
RobertH

I see Nokia speaking like Bill gates. A bug becomes a feature
lol ! =)).

lol there BSOD (blue screen of death in microsuX)
and here bw in night mode
both unrecoverable :smileyhappy:
now nokia is out from my wishlists
Please use plain text.
Sage
libra17

Thanks for deleting my post :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

from all accounts of it the n93 and n93i are the same phone am i correct? i have the n93i and it records night video without the b/w "feature" i also have the N93 which ive refused to update to v20 (im on v11) til this "feature" is fixed......
and if the 2 phones are identical in terms of features etc...how technical can it be to modify a working fw on the n93i to resolve issues with the n93?
im not so technical but cant a few modifications make this a reality? arent they using the same camera etc.?
Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
vandelay

12-Feb-2007
02:35 PM
libra17 wrote:
Thanks for deleting my post :smileyhappy:

You're welcome. It's ok to criticize, but keep it constructive.

I wrote all my posts from 2005-2011 as an "Admin" for this community. I still work for Nokia as an external consultant, so my rank in all posts is now "Employee".
Please use plain text.