Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N93 & night video mode: Nokia response

Mobile Sensei
korngear

I did never shoot a video in night mode [I dont need to].
But reading these hot [they are so hot...:smileywink:] I just shoot a video in night mode and saw colors in it.
Now, I think B/W recording is not ok.
No solutions for it either?
Please use plain text.
Sage
libra17

[ Edited ]

13-Feb-2007
08:40 AM
vandelay wrote:

12-Feb-2007
02:35 PM
libra17 wrote:
Thanks for deleting my post :smileyhappy:

You're welcome. It's ok to criticize, but keep it constructive.

Its ok to launch/release phones but keep them bug free , which nokia is not doing :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by libra17 on 13-Feb-2007
09:34 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

should i upgrade to v20? i mean it is more stable (is it?)
can someone please tell me what the differences are between the two versions (v11 and v20)
honestly not recording in colour but in b/w is really annoying to me......
can you use adobe to get it back to colour?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

firstly libra17, Gold! brilliant! love your comment in your last post ^

secondly:
if this is truly a feature, why not have the old colour night mode, and the new b&w night mode so user can choose which **bleep**py night recording mode they use?

seems like a bit of a cop out...

users want colour recording in the dark or if its not possible to option to choose grainy colour or B&W sharper.

The reason that the night photos may work well and the video does not could be because the shutter/photo camera can collect more light (eg it stays open for longer) than the 1/30th of a second the video has to capture each frame. (30 fps)

it probably is a feature just not a well thought out one.

still debating weather or not i should upgrade from 11...

is this in the change log? it doesn't seem Nokia have one, (another negative), doing things to phones without fully letting people know what it does....or attempts to fix is a bad thing to do.

"ohh yes this will make the phone more stable by fixing issue X and Y" shame they are not telling you about feature Z which they implemented that you DON'T want...

options its one of the first things you learn as a programmer, if your unsure of what the user wants make sure you give them the option to change it.
Please use plain text.
Sage
libra17

Thanks wisc
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

[ Edited ]
The reason that the night photos may work well and the video does not could be because the shutter/photo camera can collect more light (eg it stays open for longer) than the 1/30th of a second the video has to capture each frame. (30 fps)

Wisc

Your reasoning sounds logical that video captures at 1/30th of sec per frame and the sensor is not exposed enough to pick up the colour.

My question is why does display becomes B/W even before we start recording. How do you explain that ?

Message Edited by babdi on 14-Feb-2007
02:33 AM

If my post has helped you please click the white star on the right
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

RobertH

Opening of menu in version 20.0.058 is quicker than version 11.0.058 with same files in both.

In version 20.0.058 they have the WLAN scanning option on the desktop which is a useful feature for those who access it. Unfortunately there is no way one can get rid of the menu from the desktop if it is not used. ( 93i has version 10 with WLAN scanning at the desktop which N93 did not have )

The pictures taken in 20.0.058 is marginally grain free at higher
resolutions again, a subjective opinion, hence debatable.

Finally as we know version 20.0.058 records in black & white in night mode
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
korngear

Don't get me wrong...version 20 is actually more useful than version 11.
But is complexive with the B/W recordin' issue:smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

14-Feb-2007
07:13 AM
korngear wrote:
Don't get me wrong...version 20 is actually more useful than version 11.
But is complexive with the B/W recordin' issue:smileysad:

hmnm i upgraded on all your comments on version 20, it doesn't seem faster the only advantage of it is that you can press two buttons at a time in games and get a response. Now i'm stuck with night recording issue to.. i guess the work around is to not put it in might mode and leave it on automatic. given the chance i wouldn't upgrade again.
if you have version 11 and are happy with it my advice is stick with it as half my unsigned apps no longer work and i have to reinstall them.

babdi: I assume they changed the algorithm to make it black and white because when a certain point is reached in regards to the amount of light hitting the sensor it changes. (this would be regardless if your filming or not)
seems like a it could be a programed in feature. why i don't know as no-one seems to like it as i said before the best option would be to have automatic, night mode (as it used to be) and black and white night mode, for a clearer but black and white picture.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: N73 & voice recording ....

Moved to its own thread on the smartphones board. Serenity.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

----------
We would like to clarify that the Nokia N93 black and white video effect being discussed is a feature and is not an error. In earlier software versions, the video colour representation was incorrect in very low light conditions. To overcome this error, a modification was made to reduce the colour towards black and white.
----------

in addition, reading over the first post again, the last sentence, it seems like they couldn't be bothered correcting the error properly so made a half cludge and removed the colour.

ie: Colours not working properly, what do we do? just remove it and call it a feature.

pretty disappointing effort.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
narada2xk

First off I don't know why the updates would be down for this phone for so long and THEN they bring an update for it that make the customers unhappy. I believe this might affect further sales from certain people (not me, I've held a nokia since birth).

Second, If you are ashamed to recall the phone, then you guys have some issues. I wonder if the N95 has any...hey, you can recall my phone and give me a N95 (bring it out in black) ^_^ ... no seriously, bring it out in black
Please use plain text.
Contributor
narada2xk

[ Edited ]
ever wondered what the 'i' stands for?? ... irror :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by narada2xk on 15-Feb-2007
09:50 PM

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

Narada
"i" stands for impossible :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think Nokia were correct to do this.. In low light conditions it is normal amoungst camera manufacturers to prioritize luminence over chrominence. All the non-phone, low-light capable, cameras I own automatically switch from full colour to monochrome in low light conditions. It is all to do with the sensitivity of the light receiving chip, especially CMOS varients.

Z.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
babdi

Zardoz
Things were reasonably good when N-93 used version 11 or 10. Again you should understand version 20 shoots brilliantly in colour for still images. The problem is with video given same CMOS etc,
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
shirak

i must say that as that brand new n-93i comes to sale, i´ve got a feeling that my n93 is just a prototype that nokia released to get all possible errors.. why else they would make "i"mproved phone models..
Now E90
EX N93
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

thats what im saying.....
the N93i shoots video in night mode in colour using the same lens and algorithms for processing as the N93...so is it so hard for nokia to use the same algorithms for the N93 as they have used in the N93i?
secondly, why dont other phones have this feature? The N92,N91,N80 etc. doesnt have this feature....
lastly, i dont know how nokia can call this an update...isnt an UPDATE supposed to make things better?

to Narada....you've finally made it!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru

[ Edited ]
Roberth, Don't you think you should contact Nokia about the 'feature', and then when they reply you, You can post it here explaining why this 'feature' is making everyone hate nokia :smileytongue:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4222232

Message Edited by 6280 on 16-Feb-2007
05:49 PM

Nokia N95
V 20.0.015
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
roberth

contacting nokia is like contacting nokia.... impossible!!!!
last time i contacted nokia via email about a year ago im still waiting on the email reply.....
Please use plain text.