Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N95 and FW update problem on VISTA

N95 and FW update problem on VISTA

Hello, My phone N95 and have firmware version 20 , I try to upgrade to v 21, I use Nokia updater under windows vista, when download complete and begin to install software on my phone, windows give error messgae " Nokia shell software make error and will close and will tell you when solve problem what can I do.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: N95 and FW update problem on VISTA

Sadly the new updater doesn't work properly on vista.

Nokia are aware of the problem. You can either wait for them to release a new version of the NSU or update on a pc running XP.

A few people have suggested workarounds on other threads but some of these have lead to unusable phones.
Please use plain text.

hi, thanks for reply, but are u know where the location of downloaded file on vista, thanks
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

The location of the firmware files that the NSU downloads is:

C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Nokia Service Layer\A\nsl_service_module_00001\vpls\www.dsut.online.nokia.com.oti.caresuite\Products\rm-313

It may differ on your pc and you will need to enable hidden and system files to see it.

There is nothing that you can do with these files and they won't work if you copy them to another pc.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
drdivan55

[ Edited ]
Hi. I have installed the new updater and it really doesn't work on Vista Ultimate SP1. So I would like to ask if I can update my phone using the old updater (I can revert the new installation by choosing the restore point created prior the new updater's installation). My phone is N95 8GB.

Message Edited by drdivan55 on 22-Apr-2008 05:53 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hemmo_uk

21-Apr-2008 04:37 PM
psychomania wrote:
Sadly the new updater doesn't work properly on vista.

Nokia are aware of the problem. You can either wait for them to release a new version of the NSU or update on a pc running XP.

Sadly I didn't check this forum before trying to update my phone... Downloaded the latest updater, installed it, backed up my phone, started install. Next thing was that the Nokia Service Layer crashed and restarted, but the intaller is still running and telling me to wait about 15 min. The sad thing is that I have already been waiting for 45 min for that dialog box to disappear - looks like I have bricked my phone.

Phone N95, sw version 20, trying to update to 21. OS Vista Business 32bit.

If the local Nokia service center can't fix my phone, I'll buy an iPhone and brick it by trying to hack it... :smileysad:
--
hemmo
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi guys i just updated my N95 to v21.0.016
Took me ages to do it but it finaly worked.
I followed advice from this site
Dont disconnet while error message appers, just restart NSU
But be very carefull.
That what happened to me
Connected phone via usb to computer
NSU discovered my phone and showed new firmware available
Started downloding software
Sucssefully downloaded software
Started installing - and from this point everything went wrong
PC suite disconected from phone
Phones screen went blank only Nokia displayed
Error message comes up some port stop working
What i did
Closed NSU with task manager (with out disconecting phone or turning it back on)
Start NSU again, it will search for phone and will carry on instaling software
After my phone screen went blank and Nokia with little writing on top of screen were displayed
On 6 minute of install NSU stops working again
This time NSU asks to remove battary and disconect phone
So i tryd to close NSU with task manager and start again
After restarting NSU, NSU cant find my phone.
So it gives me no choise, had to disconect and restart phone.
I was sure that phone will not start, but could not belive when phones starts and everything reseted to factory settings.
Best part when i checked on phone firmware version, it was updated to v21.0.016. Still cant belive
Now if i connect to pc NSU shows that my phones firmware up to date.
Please use plain text.

very same problem with me.... :smileysad:
Please use plain text.

@ bakili

thanks mate.... followed exactly what you did and finally my phone software is updated :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Always welcome mate.
Two days now on from update, everything running fine
No problems with map
Camera much better
Main thing battery life inproved.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

People should be aware that updating using this method carries a much higher risk than usual of leaving the phone unusable.

It has already happened to other people on this and other forums that have tried the recovery method with this version of the NSU.

The safest options would be to wait for an official fix, update using an XP machine or update at a nokia care point.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Vista SP1 still have too many incompatibilities... shame on you MS..

To overcome all vista issues with HW i have installed VMware workstation and I have a simple version of windows XP in this virtual machine. VM ware virtualization works fine with USB ports (MS virtual machine doesn't). I installed NSU in this virtual machine, and updated the firmware to V21 without problems.

A virtual machine with XP would take about 3 GB disk space but it works very well. You should have a valid license for XP and for VMware however, this would be the only problem. There is another virtual SW that supports USB and is free, it is called virtual box.

Cheers,

Encore.
Please use plain text.

I did exactly what you said but mine went the whole way and installed it successfully. Thanks for the tip it worked perfectly. But people be aware that what works for some might not work for others as my work mate found out the hardway. He did the same and it didnt work for him.
Please use plain text.

I also want to say that the camera works 100 times better and faster. Instead of waithing for it to pick something up in the dark, it flashes straight away and then processes it for about 2seconds and the picture is done. Thank god for that becasue it was starting to P me off on how long it kept taking photos. Thank you Nokia for realising this and fixing the error.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sirjohn2024

I was able to update my N95 8GB using Virtual Box 1.6 with no problem.
That's how:
install VB 1.6 and a virtual image of Windows XP, personally I update it to SP3 but should work SP2 too.
On the Virtual Box USB setting panel, enable USB 2.0 and add 2 USB device filters:

Nokia N95 8GB (in my case), Vendor ID 0421, Product ID 0070
Nokia BB5 ADL Loader, Vendor ID 0421, Product ID 0105

The Vendor and Product ID can be seen from the Device/USB menu of Virtal Box while the VM is running.

Install NSU and update the phone, that's all.

Let me konw if you have problems...

Ciao
Please use plain text.