Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Please do upgrade!

Contributor

N95 software update is it worth it?

Hello,

I have a N95 and am thinking about updating the software from v11.0.026 to v20.0.015.

1. Is this update worth the time and trouble to do it?

2. I did try to update yesterday and the Nokia Software Updater started the update process but never finished. My phone was plugged in with the charger, the USB cable was connected and working, my PC was plugged in with the charger, I had a high speed internet connection working just fine, but one of the initial software update dialog boxes, 'PREPARING TO UPDATE SOFTWARE' never closed. I left it running for over an hour, but the barber shop poll turned and turned. The warning message was worrisome, but nothing was happening on the phone's screen, so I shut down the computer and unplugged the phone, and the phone seems to be OK (i.e. no apparent damage). After reading the FAQ and understanding some of the problems one can have, and also reading some of the user comments, I am wondering if I should risk going through this potentially painful process of updating my phone software? What do you think?

drewski
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: N95 software update is it worth it?

Hi drewski

It is certainly worthwhile, although it has to be said that this the third software update to my N95 was the hardest to complete. Whether this was due to release of PC Suite 6.85_12_0 installed before upgrade at the same time which was quickly replaced, I don't know.

There is of course the option of asking a NCP to upgrade the firmware for you, if one is reasonably accessible.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.

[ Edited ]
hi, would you be more specific, what is good in new firmware. do you mean the nokia maps, that has now stripped down version of it? new firmware makes your phone not as usable as it was, do you mean this is improvement? and when you upgrade to 12.0.015 you cannot go back..

Message Edited by marttik on 26-Dec-2007 02:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi Marrtik,
Yes, that's basiccally what I was asking. Somtimes when upgrading features are lost because they slowed down the system and may have had some bugs, so I was asking about the positive and negitive aspects of updating to the new firmware version. There are are also risks that data will be lost and the phone unusable until its taken into the service center, this is what I can not afford at the moment because I'm traveling.
Regarding your comment about Nokia maps, what features are lost with the new version?
(Becasue the new version of Nokia maps is stripped down, this may help the software to go faster... what's better?)
What do you mean by 'not as useable as it was', what other features were lost with the upgrade?
Thanks for your info.
Drewski
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Unfortunately the changelog for SW v12.0.013 to v 20.0.015 cannot be published here and anyway would take up too much space. I am sorry that Nokia Maps application falls so short of your expectations.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hey Scoobyman,
How long did the third software update take you to complete? I have just installed PC Suite v6.85.14.1
Could you tell me in regards to the new software version...
How have the features of Nokia Maps changed?
Is WLAN connection stability much improved?
Do you have a reccomendation for a SIP (internet telephone) service provider?
Thanks very much for your answers,
Drewski
Please use plain text.
Contributor

hi Scoobyman,
The most positive aspects of software update are published on the Nokia site. I was just wondering what (most important) features will be lost and what the trade off is.
Thanks again for your help.
Drewski
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

[ Edited ]
Hi drewski

In reply to how long did update take, I ended up downloading 115Mb file three times getting the message "update failed" due to losing USB connection with phone during course of download so update could not be installed.

As phone used by a third party I am not in a position to elaborate on strengths or weaknesses of v20.0.015 software unfortunately.

Message Edited by scoobyman on 26-Dec-2007 03:12 PM

Please use plain text.

hey there. yes it worth it specialy on N95. because do you feel that your phone is kinda slow sometimes. yes.
in picture and video galery it takes time to flip the pictures.

well if you update your nokia n95,

1- the digital colors of your camera improve.
2- much faster in fliping the pictures.
3- you can install and play N-Gage games on your N95.
4- new add ons like mobile search. its a search engin where you can search easly for anything you want in you nokia n95.
like in messages. in music player.
5- well its just works better ))))

but onething

backup your phone.( contacs , messages, notes, everything ) but only the phone part.

remove the memory card. because if you leave it inside the phone it will be formated, and it might block.

so i recomend to update you phone.

and let me know when you'll update it.

Yda4i. good luck.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Please do upgrade!

Two words: memory management!

With the upgrade you can finally multitask apps without them dying on you, and the OS has huge stability improvements in general as well.
Please use plain text.

Re: Please do upgrade!

hi, i´m referring to the tracking option with maps, check the "Discussions Main Page > Navigation > Tracking option in Latest Nokia Maps gone" -discussion there. i haven´t updated the firmware, and considering not to... selling n95 with a key feature, and then taking it away and asking money 4 it is not what i would call ethically sound business..
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Maps tracking feature gone...

Hi Marrtik,
Thanks for this info. I use the tracking feature a lot. Probably the best feature on the Nokia GPS. Well, looks like I won't upgrade for a while. MAybe I will try to sell my phone before its too late...
drewski
Please use plain text.