Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N96 V 30.0.33 Unstable,frequent restarts, lock...

Contributor
k4bbe

N96 V 30.0.33 Unstable,frequent restarts, lock ups, SMS deleton and poor battery performance

Hi all.

Upgraded my firmware using FOTA the day the V30 firmware was released.

Ever since though I have had major issues with my N96. The previous version 20 and version 12 were stable enough and I had minimal issues with them. I have not installed any new apps or software between version 20 and version 30.

• Constant random reboots, even when not actually doing anything with the phone. Its just sat on the desk in standby and ... boom restart. Happening at least 4 - 5 times per day. Maybe more.
  • Phone locking up when navigating menus or attempting to switch between open apps. Resulting in battery off and back in to restart.
  • SMS received, phone locked up. Battery off reboot. All sms in inbox deleted!
  • Messaging app locking up on a regular basis, regardless of memory selected.
  • Battery life appears to have deteriorated. Having to charge morning and night to ensure phone not dead overnight. Once a day on version 20 firmware.

Would be interesting to know if anybody else is having any or similar issues or knows of a fix etc.
Looking at reverting to previous version 20 firmware. If anybody knows how to do this using Vista, then please let me know. I understand its only possible using XP ... Hope this is not the case.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

Re: N96 V 30.0.33 Unstable,frequent restarts, lock ups, SMS deleton and poor battery performance

hi there,

First of all feel sorry for ur problems wanted to make one thing clear regarding Reverting Back to the previous firmware Which is not Possible, I dont Know who had made u Understand that it is not possilble with Vista and Possible with XP on the either case u cannot Downgrade infact on no case u can do that :smileytongue:

I can suggest u to do these things

1. try a factory Reset *#7780# whcih restores ur phone to Factory settings

2.Format it using *#7370# whcih erases all ur data in Phone memory so do take a backup before u do this.

check out

cheers.......

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

Re: N96 V 30.0.33 Unstable,frequent restarts, lock ups, SMS deleton and poor battery performance

[ Edited ]

Firstly there is no way for a user to roll back a fw version

Now your problems are non standard for an n96 running v30, I've had this installed for a few weeks and have experianced none of the issues you have described, nor have I seen similar complaints to yours on these forums, this suggests that the issue is specific to your phone (this is a good thing)

Most likely causes

1) Conflict with an installed application 

2) Conflicts with an memory card

3) Conflicts with the phones settings

4) A problem with the install of v30

Suggestions

You could try taking the memmory card out (if installed) and seeing if the behavoir persists

You could try a factory reset and if this doesn't work go for the hard reset (try thr phone without any apps for a while before intalling one ap at a time)

You could try plugging into a pc, firing up NSU and seeing if it will let you re-install the FW

and if none of these work, you could take the phone to a nokia care point for a warenty repair

Message Edited by synth_fg on 12-Jul-2009 03:56 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

battery life deteoriation usually suggests that you will have to perform a hard reset. with the phone turned off, press the green call key, 3 key and * key all at the same time, and while holding them down press and hold the power button of the phone. until the Nokia hands logo is displayed. 

If you found this or someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to their post!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Re: N96 V 30.0.33. A bit of a disaster

I now cannot connect to the net other than on WLAN. My GPS and other internet based programs won't connect via Optuz Zoo, as the icon is no longer there. Is there any whay I can get hold of version 20?
Please use plain text.
Professor
post007

Do the hard format your mobile as Adrianhughes written in his post. Before that, format your memory card also and then do hard format. If the problem still not solve then go to your nearest Nokia Service Center and give them your mobile.
If you like my post then give me "Kudos" star...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi everybody,

I have right the same problem. V30.033 - frequent unexpected reset.

I got installed the version 30.033 from a Nokia care center, and since then the phone restarts randomly  and frequently: when I use the phone, the GPS, the Media Player, or even in stand-by.

I tried everything was suggested in this forum: factory setting, hard reset, deletion of configurations.

I have no external memory card installed.

Nothing works; the phone keeps restarting randomly.

I purchased this phone in October 08 from an operator, and it came with version 10.x. Very poor performance, but the N96 was very stable.

I tried the software update and the update over the air, but no update was possible. I could therefore not experience the version 12 and 20.

To get the phone updated I had to contact the Nokia care center.

Now after firmware update, because any attempt to recover from frequent resets fails, I suspect the reason might be a conflict with some parameters stored somewhere in the phone, and belonging to the operator who sold the phone.

My operator suggests sending him back the phone so that they can reprogram it.

I am reluctant in doing this because they are still on 10.x firmware version.

Maybe Nokia software people might want to check if the V30.033 has something new on it, which might conflict with programming specific to an operator.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
synth_fg

[ Edited ]

Maxn, your problems sound serious, if the multi fingered reset hasn't worked thenyour only option is return to a nokia care point, do not go through your service provider, 

If your phone has been upgraded to v30 by a ncp then it is likely a vanilla unbranded model,and they should reflash the phone for you

Moderator's note: Post edited.

Message Edited by concordia on 14-Aug-2009 12:48 PM
Please use plain text.