Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 3.0 firmware expectations

Contributor

N97 3.0 firmware expectations

[ Edited ]

I was reading the N97forum and they "anticipate the v.30 firmware coming out this summer". Don't know if this is true, but lets bring the v/30 expectations.

i've posted previously on the v21 thread on my expectations for the various firmware updates (lots of items still not fixed) so hopefully those remaining v21 items can transferred to v30.

N97 v21 firmware updates   (most items are now shifted to v30)

1)     Allowances for users to uninstall non-essential default apps, i.e PDF reader, Quick office, Boingo, Qik Joiku Soft etc… AND have these installed in the E:\

2)     Update of new 3.04 Ovi Maps to firmware

3)     Allow installation of Nokia apps into E:\

4)     Allow Browser cache to fall on E:\

5)     In N97 Contacts homescreen widget, allow for customization / edit via long hold on homescreen

6)     Fix the destinations. Lots of connection bugs, where N97 tries to connect via Wifi even if you are not connected, or not use wifi even if you’re connected

7)     Add 1 more app launcher Widget 

8 )   Allow more control for volume in music app, each volume step is quite large.

9)     Add speed dial picture / name of caller on default call pad so speed dial use is more recognizable

10)  Stop music when headphones are unplugged

11)  General bug, stability fixes  

V30 firmware updates

12)  Added threaded email and sms

13)  Allow backup of contacts and CALENDAR via ovi suite without installation of MS office

14)  Have the option to hide nag messages forever

15)  Add faster screen transitions/ theme effects

16)  Improved email client (Nokia Messenging) now integrated with default messaging allowing for HTML / Push email

17)  Add standby screen – Time & Clock if plugged in

18)  Improve GPS signal if possible

19)  Add Skype integration as part of contacts

20) Improved browser with multiple window / tab support

21)  Add face detection, photo stitching built in to photos app

22)  Add N86 “proper” digital zoom to video features for N97

23)  Add resizing of columns / text to fit page for Web browser

24)  Proper wallpaper cropping 600x600, allowing for normal landscape wallpapers

25)  Add Furtiv’s online share features of Facebook, twitter etc… as default

26)  Ovi Chat to add MSN support w/ importing of contacts from Googletalk etc

27)  Overclock the ARM processor to 600mhz (current processor is underclocked)

V40 updates:

28)  New Symbian^3 UI for non HW taxing features

29)  Single tap all applications, no more double tapping

30) Optional 2nd homescreen

31) Swype keyboard optional (since Nokia has invested in these guys) - Slideit is unstable

32) Add contact update program, allowing for info to be synced via Facebook / MSN / etc similar to Palm & Motoblur OS

33) Introduce virtual ram to allow some applications to be "cached" in C:\ instead of immediate switch off (think N900 with their 256mb ram + 7xx virtual memory)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Erka

Re: N97 3.0 firmware expectations

That was a very nice list, but lets not forget the useless calender-widget which don't tell you what you have planned tomorrow and in the future. You can only see your meetings for the current day...that is so bad!! I have been expecting a better calender widget from Nokia since I bought this piece of **bleep**. And threaded messaging as you mention...why has it not been implemented on the phone earlier?!?!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

You have good solutions for calendar widget.

Try one-two-three panel calendar widget:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/comingnext/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Erka

I have tried it...and it was ok but sometimes it behaived a little bit strange. This is something I really wish Nokia could provide as standard i the phone.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I've been putting off buying a n97/mini simply due to problems like these which does not give me any justification for an "upgrade", but I think the original poster missed a few points in his post. Here are some corrections and FYI, and a few comments. Feel free to answer back.

1.) Quick Office CANNOT be installed to other drive than C. Or at least the new version QOPremier6 doest seem to give a choice.

2)Ovi Maps 3.04 is available for the N97, but it is still in beta stage, meaning it is not available via SW update and you would need to download it via PC yourself.

3.) I would reword your suggestion to Allow USER to chose WHERE. Although some apps do require C drive due to speed considerations between itself and hardware, like Ovi Maps, Python, QT, Silverlight....These need special consideration, especially since the last 3 mentioned are runtime apps.

4.) I'm with you on this one.

5.)

6.)Have you checked the applications themselves as to what connection they should use? For example, the email client will only use the connection you defined for it in settings, regardless if you are connected to wifi or not.

7.)

8)

9.)

10.) this is possible already, but with the use of an app. This is a standard Nokia feature for ALL of its phones though. Not sure why. I think this requires a separate mail, or at least to give the user to set it up if pause on unplug or continue playing.

11.)

12.) Nokia Conversations (threaded view) is in beta stage for s60v3 phones, s60v5 should follow. If you cannot wait, download Free iSMS (I have it). It gives you threaded SMS view. Free version is 1.03, while 1.08 is paid. However 1.08 gives you iPhone onscreen message alert animation.

13.)Calendar was designed to be synced to ovi.com. Also, calendar can be synced in Ovi Suite even without MS office, as it can be set to connect to Windows Calendar. What you should suggest is to get the online Ovi Calendar Application onto Ovi Suite as well.

14.) Warning messages could be turned off, AFAIK since day one.

15.) This would be difficult considering that the n97 has no 3D graphics engine unlike iPhone

16.) Nokia Messaging allows push email AFAIK (I dont use it), since a network in my country is advertising it that it does.

17.)That would ruin the whole idea of widgets now doesnt it?

18.) Have you had your GPS device changed? They change it along with the entire back cover. it was done for free a few months ago, since the lens gets scratched by the cover. The entire back-cover-lens-GPS got an upgrade.

19.)

20.) Opera Mobile is the answer. Tab support, flash support, speed dial, can be set as default browser (if you use final version, not beta).

21.) Face detection is possible since they did it on N86, but I do not know what is photo stitching. If you explain I might know of an app that does that.

22.)May or may not be possible. Please note the N86 was designed as a camera phone, and its camera is radically different from many cellphone cameras from Nokia. It even has a mechanical shutter. AFAIK the N97 does not.

23.)This can be done via "mobile view". However many would be against you (me in particular), as I would prefer the page rendering to exactly that of on the PC.

24.)

25.)

26.)

27.) Not possible. The ARM11 on the N97 can only be clocked to a maximum of 550Mhz according to the manufactirer. It is still underclocked, but cannot reach 600mhz.

28.) Symbian^3 is not possible. The new OS was said to be having hardware 3D graphics acceleration, which the N97 does not have.

29.) I actually prefer double tap everywhere. Scrolling icons is a bit messy on single tap everywhere.

30.) Hmmm..good

31.)

32.) Isnt this what RSS feeds are for?

33.) I think this is both hardware and software dependent.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Chanchan05 - thanks for your detailed response. I guess this also helps me fine tune my (aggressive but achievable) wishlist of features. Response to your comments:

1.)

2.) Downloaded, but just would like this integrated. Along with Ovi Contacts 1.5, New Ovi Store etc.

3.) Agree, runtimes will need to be run out from c:\ as you pointed out, but others should allow for E:\ installation (Nokia email or even Ovi maps to be honest)

4.) Ok

5.)

6.) Each app having its own internet connectivity is difficult to manage. This is fixed in Symbian^3 with a better managed centralized connectivity control centre, so hopefully this gets ported in. Also if you go overseas, each individual app going online will kill you with a huge roaming bill. I was charged a foot and an arm when going overseas while trying to use free wifi.

7.)

8.)

9.)

10.) I never got around to installing the app for your ears only. But its annoying workaround as you need to get it signed and that’s not convenient for most non-geeks.

11.)

12.) I think Free isms is buggy, you need to have it actively running which doesn't work well on the ram deficient N97

13.) Yes, I need the ovi calendar application in ovi suite, along with notes. I currently use Swim to sync, but again this is a hassle of a work around for non-geeks.

14.)

15.) Apart from the N97, all the others have transition screens. They're not slow either. Why can't the N97 run transitions?

16.) Push email is standard these days. Nokia Messaging should be made free and integrated with your messaging program. (Multiple account or additional security features can be paid premium content). I use Emoze but there are many basic flaws (can't click on links / quite battery zapping / font issues) 

17.) Right now the screen just switches off on standby. Like the Milestone, a clock standy screen would be useful. Also useful if there is an option to leave the screen on when plugged in with preset time periods (i.e during the day time only).

18.) Got it fixed, but GPS is still quite a bit worse than the N97 mini (to be fair the mini's signal is quite good).

19.)

20.) I do use Opera mobile by default but Opera doesn't have flash support. I have problems setting it as default browser, when I click on links it doesn't seem to pull up opera automatically. 

21.) I use Panoman for photo-stitching i.e landscape photos. It’s a great app and I recommend it (when it works). But better if this comes standard.

22.) I think the digital zoom is not a mechanical feature. Essentailly you're taking all the data from the sensor and translating it to 640x360 to compose the video as opposed to just the small bit of the sensor resolution. The mechanical shutter is a different aspect. 

23.) didn't know that let me check this out

24.)

25.)

26.)

27.) Thanks didn't know it couldn't be clocked to 600mhz. So the E72 uses a different chipset?

28.) Yeah I think its unlikely but some features, maybe like the photo app enhancement etc might make it in. But the higher FPS or 3d engine will obviously not.

29.) Single tap is the convention across the competitive landscape.

30.) Yes I know this is ram dependant, but Symbian^3 did claim that "as many homescreens can be added but only limited by ram"

31.)

32.) No. I.e if you have a friend's contact, added them in facebook and have them on twitter, you would ideally be able to integrate all the contact data together (multiple source contact sync). Palm and Motorola's Blur Os can do it, so should Nokia.

33.) Writeable page ram kernal was written in Symbian ^3 (where stuff in ram gets paged to C:\ temporarily when neccesary) so I hope it would be ported in. I don't need a lot, but taking free ram from 55mb to 80mb would save me from a world of headaches already. More ofcourse would be better.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

2. As I said, it would only be integrated if it gets past beta stage. Some people dont want to be beta testers, so it gives us a choice if we want to or not.

3. Personally, I dont think Ovi Maps from card or mass memory is a good idea. You already pointed out troubles with it. Consider that if you do put it on either mass memory option, the access of the application to the GPS hardware would fall to slower rates than it does now, and would in turn make the application itself a failure.

10. Well, in this one we're going against Nokia standard issue, so I guess its not easy unless people from all phone ranges complain. but personally, I think its not Nokia we should complain against here but Symbian.

12. Been using it for 3 months and I dont find it buggy. As I said, Nokia Conversations is still beta, and I think they plan to release it for Symbian^3

15. You mean all by competition? I already pointed out, the competition either has higher proc speeds, a 3D graphics chip or both, the N97 does not. Considering RAM issues, I dont think this is a good idea.

16. This I dont really understand. Nokia Messaging is free, and has push email. I dont really understand what you want.

17. There are apps on Ovi Store and others for this actually. Which is probably why they did not integrate it. And considering how good some of them looks, I dont mind. Check this one out. Its not free, but IMO the best looking one:http://www.smartphoneware.com/screenlocker-for-s60-5th-edition-product.php

20. you are using beta or final version? AFAIK the final version has flash support. Skyfire and Bolt has full flash support AFAIK as well.

27. Yes it has different chipset. There are like 4 or 5 different ARM 11s listed on the manufacturer's site. One could be clocked to like 630Mhz. I think that's the one on E72.

30. You already mentioned RAM issues on the N97, which makes this inherently unlikely.

32. this would require major updates, and highly unlikely considering that S^3 is on the horizon and AFAIk they plan it to do that there.

33.Depends on how much they could rewrite using firmware update.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

15. You mean all by competition? I already pointed out, the competition either has higher proc speeds, a 3D graphics chip or both, the N97 does not. Considering RAM issues, I dont think this is a good idea.

ANS> No, the X6, 5800, etc all have transitions on as default. N97 do not have transitions. I don't know why.

16. This I dont really understand. Nokia Messaging is free, and has push email. I dont really understand what you want.

Ans> Nokia Messaging requires payment, as my carrier has signed with Nokia to make sure i need to pay to use it. It is not free for me.

20. you are using beta or final version? AFAIK the final version has flash support. Skyfire and Bolt has full flash support AFAIK as well.

Opera 10 has no flash.

What are your requests / expectations for future N97 firmware updates?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
xPH03N1Xx

Forget v3.0! Some of us are still stuck with v12 :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

Early reviews of fourth coming symbian ^ 3 based Nokia phone claims the N97 trend continues buggy and under powered. Can't wait to see what **bleep** they cookin up this time.

Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@yitwave - oh, those transitions...Go to Menu>Settings>Personal>Themes>General>Options>Theme effects>On.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Nice wishlist. Good discussion. Let's hope Nokia reads this!
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Contributor
expensive

[ Edited ]

I only got one hope and one hope only. Nokia can make it looks like one in the promo video. I am Malaysian and I bought this phone for MYR 2550 last year. I am drawing MYR 3100 monthly. That means 82.3% of my July 2009 salary went to this phone. Despite my friends asked me to buy iPhone 3GS, but I believe Nokia could deliver better job than Apple.

Eventually, I found that N97 is not as great as in the promo video. I understand that every company needs good marketing campaign to hit certain sales projection, but whatever I am experiencing now is very much far away from the one I saw in the video.

I could not reserve the time and change the history, therefore, I hope Nokia will have greater update in the near future. At least I don't feel regret and so stupid to invest in this phone.

My N97 firmware is 21.0.102

Nokia = like an aging old lady around 80 years old.

Apple Iphone = a gorgeous girl around 22 years old
Please use plain text.
Sage

Just release it already.

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

Pssh im sorry but its highly unlikely we are gonna get the stuff you said at the top, but still hurry up and release it haha

n97.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
j_ben

c'mon nokia. iphone now has 4.0 with hundreds of improvements and addons. they've gone to the highest level... give us a comparable update..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

4.0 is not released for end users yet, but anyway - I don't think there is possible to make an update for n97 that is even close to comparable, even though it has different os's. The Iphone has a lot better cpu/gpu chip and more ram.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
gabriellow1990

nice list...i agree with most of what's on your list but about the symbian ^3 thingy i'm not sure let's just wait and see what happens...i'd really love to see transition effects too it'll be super cool.. since other symbian nokia phones has it i'm sure n97 will get it...and internet radio perhaps...skype with video calling although we can already use skype video calling via fring..face/smile detection is something nice to have..i also hope to see the phone works properly and smoothly (i really hope)..improve kinetic scrolling most of the time it's smooth but scrolling through apps lags quite alot...more stable(freezes auto restart a few times for no reasons)....nokia! make those happen i know you can do it =D
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Lets wait for N98 to come out (if there is any..)

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Erka

It does not matter if N99 comes out...N97 is my last Nokia phone...ever. The funny thing is, I bought it because I was thinking that I could trust Nokia...well...we all N97 owners know how it is with that. Yesterday I watch the promo video for N97 again and I wish I had the phone in that video...not the actual N97 that hit the market.

Please use plain text.