Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: FW 30: What would we like to see?

Sage

N97 FW 30: What would we like to see?

[ Edited ]

I guess it's time to start discussing the new FW now, let's hope it'll be FW30, so we can see a real difference. Please, add your list and try to categorize them into Bug fixing and new fetchers:

Here is my short list:

Bugs to be fixed:

- Nokia Random Ringtone, plllllllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzz

- More stability

- The keypad locking period

New Fetchers:

- better email management

- Free office and PDF Reader

Please

take the initiative and post now.

Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Re: N97 FW 30: What would we like to see?

What I would like to get is:

1. To decide if I want the bloatware on my device, or if I want to get rid of it. (Joikuspot, Boingo, Qik)

2. 2 homescreens where I could have widgets and apps on one, and have contacts on the other.

3. If possible clock the cpu a bit further.

Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

And maybe somone could have a look at this while making the new fw: /t5/Nseries-Devices-and-S60/N97-Can-not-backup-messages-from-E-with-the-onboard-backupclient/m-p/618...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
u_v_m

no more erro rmessage of "no more memory left", better memory managment

Nokia N97, PC 0586701 RM-505
Firmware: CFW 22.0.110.03.01
Win7
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
zoro06

-moving  of alot of files from c to mass memory to free more memory and leads to better performance

-and the clock of cpu tooo

-and of course , something from symbian^3 like multi home screen, more visual effects , .....

-you can show appreciation to my posts if it helped or useful by pressing the green Kudo star beside my post that hepled :smileyhappy:
-if my answer was the solution , so click accept as solution button
Started From Nokia 3310 , Now with Nokia N97 v.22.0.110 + N900 PR1.2
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nokiabear

I'd like to see proper Flash video support - I am SO tired of accessing websites (BBC News to name one of many) where I can't watch the embedded videos. Too much to hope?
Please use plain text.
Sage

-screen: N97 FW 30: What would we like to see?

I forget to add to my above list, the on-screen virtual QWERTY keyboard PLease

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hiero

[ Edited ]

* Proper closing of Contacts, Clock etc.. Using 3rd party program to view the task manager i could still see the Contacts, Clock and other resource eating process even if I normally exit it in the Option>Exit, the only way is to use the 3rd party program to properly exit it.

* Regarding Nokia Tune Bug, tweak something here making it number one priority when being executed. Sometimes I think the root of this bug is when certain process is deadlock or no longer working making it play the nokia tune instead of custom tune. I know its easier said than done but just a suggestion ^_^.

* How about overclocking the CPU?? ^_^..

* Enable the cool transition effect.. I know N97 don't have graphics accelerator but just a suggestion like an option for enabling transition etc.. ^_^

* Tweak on the Web browser making it multiple page, using mass storage and expandable storage on cache instead of c:.. A lot of user already found a solution to this by changing the cache to E:..

* Making kinetic scrolling speed of videos, photos and music same as on the menus, options etc.. Cause I think the menus are still laggy especially text messages..

* Add extra 2 more shortcuts contents and other custom application contents..

* Improve the speed while playing music, I know the hardware of N97 is weak but if only it could be tweak to make it less lag while playing music..

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Good suggestions all. I think Nokia owe us a better function device. I really hope that some Nokia employees sees this. - Hopefully the right ones who can make decitions,, if it's possible to do.

Please use plain text.
Professor
phatdumi

Upgrade us to S ^ 2 am sure S ^ 3 is beyond the N97, S ^ 1 is too buggy it's just an optimized version of OS v9.4. S ^ 2 is Symbian's first true touch screen OS built from the ground up and ARM 11 CPU is listed as being compatible.  I read some where on the symbian web site that phones with S ^ 2 should start shipping end of Q1 2010. 

Hit Kudos if I Helped out.
Nokia 3310-> 8810->N95->N95 8Gb->
Nokia N97 Black v21.0.045 RM-505 Code-0585162 (handset No 3)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Isn't it sad that we are still discussing the same issues and suggestions that have been raised by users since before V20?

It is sad that Nokia hasn't already taken the steps to rectify the errors and bugs and provide the user experience it promised.

From a personal point of view I think the most pressing issues are

i) A significantly improved web-browser. If Nokia cannot deliver this then perhaps they should remove it from the OS so we get rid of the overhead and we can all choose a browser (Opera or other) that delivers.

ii) The option of removing Qik, JoikuSpot, Boingo and Vlingo so as to further free up resources.  I have no need for such applications and judging from comments in the forums this seems to be true for many other users. They are a drain on an already under resourced device.  Those users that do find them useful can anyway get them from Ovi.  Why waste resources when there are so few to do the main tasks that most users want?

iii) Improved photo and video imaging.  I have tested the N97 against the N95 using large scale enlargements of the same image taken on the two devices.  The N95 produces significantly superior images as well as videos and I find it amazing that with the N97, Nokia have been able to degrade the imaging and video ability of the previously excellent N95.

iv) Improved GPS reception.  This is not rocket science these days.  Despite the hardware constraints.  Other GPS manufacturers have provided software updates to improve the speed of initial satellite identification and the reliability and accuracy of GPS reception in built up areas.  Why Nokia seem to be convinced that A-GPS is the only solution is a mystery to me.  Why can they not improve the software as others have done?

Like many other users I have given up hope that Nokia will ever bother to ensure that the N97 delivers that which it promised its customers. 

It is sad that the Nokia management seems to fail to recognise the enduring harm that the on-going N97 fiasco has done to its image and reputation.  From a business point of view the approach that Nokia seem to be taking (move on to new products and try to bury the N97 mistakes) will end up haunting it.  Customer loyalty, once lost, is very hard to regain.  The majority of customers that have been so let down by Nokia's initial failure to live up to its promises for the N97 and its continuing failure to rectify the problems will never again trust Nokia's promises.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

y just like this phone to work properlyRe: N97 FW 30: What would we like to see?

Id mainly just like this phone to work properly, but my suggested improvements are,

-Louder sound in headsets

- Less jpg compression on photos (on a device with 32gb of memory such a high amount of compression is unnessary)

-Do something about the poor gps perfermance, on ovi maps using the phones a-gps its always a mile behind and losing it's connection all the time.

- The music player is too basic for such a top end device, more icons options and eyecandy are needed.

- On screen qwerty

- Better copying and pasting

- Better video player (its far too basic and **bleep** for such a high-end device).

- Remove the bloatware or at least let us have the option to unistall it.

- The abilty to set custom folder icons (like on windows)

Nokia N8 (dark grey),
PR2.0
install server hack , Mod pack V5.00.
Please use plain text.
Sage

FW 30: What would we like to see?

I really hope that Nokia N97 updating team reading such important feedback, and discuss it with us. Why not? I have no clue!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Agree with that. Would be a nice move from Nokia. Kudos

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

agreed, if they were smart they would be contacting some of the N97 owners to get feedback but I suspect they already know what the problems are with this device: poorly specc'd hardware and buggy software.

- Stability improvements (the N97 is still just not reliable enough to use as your main phone, if Nokia can't fix this they should do a product recall. I mean really, a phone that you can't rely on to make or receive phone calls. Wake up Nokia, this is the main function of this device)

- Performance improvements (it's so slow, the improved RAM management has made this device even slower as it basically just closes all of the other apps so that when you switch back to the previous app it has to completely restart. Nokia, If you do this then you can't claim this device has proper multi-tasking)

- A properly integrated Skype client (like you marketed and promised)

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.

1) Skype App for Video & Voice Chatting

2) Enhance Flash Player (Youtube)

3) Enhance Internet Browsing Experience

4) Contact Picture is very small, try to make it much bigger. I barely can see how is calling me.

5) Free PDF and Free Office

6) Integration between HP & Nokia

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

[ Edited ]

SKYPE is available, i already put a post a few days ago... I dont get the Nokia ringtone issue -- I dont even have it.. I want the overall phone to be faster!!! omg ...its not fast enough..

Also The UI is soo  boring!.....and there are literally no transition effects at all..

n97.
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

and the widget apps are hardly wonderful

n97.
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

That's really very strange that some of us have no problem with the user defined ringtone. Nokia should study this issue very well then inform its customers. Hopefully they will do so.

Yes the skype is now available, but it doesn't have the video option plus it's not well integrated with handset.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

St3ph3n-> Do you really want a fancy ,eye candy  UI on a phone that can't even handle the boring s60 UI?  - I think that would be like throwing Windows Vista at a laptop made of wood. - It won't handle it 100%.

Please use plain text.