Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: FW 30: What would we like to see?

Sage

The issue with the user-defined ringtone has been well documented.

Apparently those with problems are chosing a file that is too big to fit in RAM while other tasks are running, so the N97 defaults back to the Nokia tone.

The only real solution is to edit your chosen music file to be smaller. 

Perhaps a "ringtone wizard" is necessary...it could say "your file is too big to provide reliable use...do you want to shorten it or resample at a much lower bit rate?"

Please use plain text.
Sage

@- rdcinhou

I have done all of those tricks, and still suffering from such a bug.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

SKYPE is available, i already put a post a few days ago... I dont get the Nokia ringtone issue -- I dont even have it.. I want the overall phone to be faster!!! omg ...its not fast enough..

Also The UI is soo  boring!.....and there are literally no transition effects at all..

Yes, Skype is available but it's not the fully integrated Skype client that Nokia marketed and promised.

FYI full integration means that the Skype functions are integrated into the phone, so that when you open a contact in the contacts app you can choose to call them via mobile/cell, home phone, or Skype rather than having to open a completely separate Skype application.

The currently available Skype app is a good start but it's not what Nokia marketed.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ynotamil

Greetings to all from Johannesburg,

I am new in this forum. Got the N97 3rd Feb. Already updated to the new f/ware.

My vote is:

= phone stability.

= virtual qwerty keyboard,

= option to remove all bloatware,

= option to load applications and files where we want them,

= revise the copy & past commands (introduce cntl C & cntrl V would be nice).

= battery life tooooooo short.

Regards,

Tony

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Dear All,

We don't like to let this topic fade away.

We asking Nokia to keep us regularly informed about when this new update will tentatively released and what are their plans for it.

Please support my request here?

We deserve to be informed after all suffering we still have!!!

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

• Stability improvements
  • Performance improvements
  • Virtual QWERTY keyboard
  • Proper integration of Nokia Messaging
  • Remove the bloatware (QIK, BOINGO, etc...)
  • Multiple homescreens
    • widgets on the main one
    • swipe right for a contacts homescreen
    • swipe left for an apps launcher homescreen
  • remove the nag notices that lock up the devices

If OPK really believes that everything is now rosy with the N97 on v21 he's living on another planet. Perhaps he should use the device exclusively for a month and then come back and tell us what he thinks of the N97.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

Is Nokia planning to release another firmware?
n97.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Is Nokia planning to release another firmware?

I hope so given that the v21 firmware is what the stupid device should have shipped with, V20 was a beta firmware and everything prior to that was alpha software.

There's plenty of reasons for Nokia to release more firmware as v21 still has plenty of bugs, stability and performance issues, and poor reception, although I'm sure that a lot of this just can't be fixed due to hardware limitations.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage

We, as loyal Nokia customers, should set a target for such a flagship.

For me, It SOULD fully work as advertised. So, I do expect soon updates until they hit the target.

What about you all?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

Froschy has mentioned it a couple of times :smileytongue: - The hardware is not good enough. But I hope, like you say ahmmetwally, that Nokia releases a couple of really good updates.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

I also think that this v21 update would feel quite a bit better with stronger hardware...

My next device is a Nokia E series device.
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

aghh. farout so annoying stupid hardware limitations...honestly why would they make the memory so low.....just because we got 32 gb of mass memory doesn't mean that they should reduce the space on C drive.

n97.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

...why would they make the memory so low.....just because we got 32 gb of mass memory doesn't mean that they should reduce the space on C drive.

You're thinking about it the wrong way, the 32GB is mass memory and the c: drive is NAND memory (they doubled this in the N97 mini). What you should be asking is with such a large mass memory why would they put so little NAND memory (and RAM for that matter) in this device. IMHO the CPU, RAM & NAND memory can't handle the 32GB of mass memory, throw in the overhead of a high resolution touchscreen and you get exactly what you would expect: performance and stability issues.

Nokia should have realised this when they were designing the device and they should have also picked these deficiencies up during testing (before release), they probably did realise the problem but instead of addressing it they just decided to fob this underpowered, beta state device on their unsuspecting consumers.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

argh thats what i meant :smileytongue:

n97.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

After reading some of the tech blogs on Symbian^3 I'm back to wondering if it would be possible for this to be the upgrade in the firmware v30 for the N97. I know there are hardware constraints and the N97 is already slow with S60v5 but from what I've read Symbian^3 is a much more optimised OS with better RAM management.

It's not good enough for Nokia just to say we messed up with the N97 there should be some strategy in place to resolve the issues as the N97 with v21 is still far from the device that Nokia spent millions of dollars marketing. If it's not possible to upgrade to Symbian^3 then perhaps N97 owners should be given a good deal on an exchange for the Symbian^3 flagship device.

I hope Nokia is thinking about something like this as after eight months of excruciating ownership of the N97 this is the only way that I will buy or recommend another Nokia for a long time.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ynotamil

"" If it's not possible to upgrade to Symbian^3 then perhaps N97 owners should be given a good deal on an exchange for the Symbian^3 flagship device. ""

Knowing Nokia, I think the hell will freeze over before that ever happens. With the advent of the N900, the N97 is history.

My previous phone was the 9500 and the last fw update released by Nokia was still not 100%.

The phone still froze on a middle of a call, BT was not the best at the time, access to the net was a pain, etc. The 9500 was also a flagship when it was release.

Tony

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

It would be nice if they could give us a good deal on any phone.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

The things I wanna see in v30 r

1. free more ram ((to make the phone faster))
  2. tune the processor a lil bit
  3. fix accelerometer bug ((slow in turning from poitriate to landscape and vice versa))
  4. free more space in the C drive or just make it bigger if they can
  5. fix the light dimming bug
  6. useing the second homescreen (the clear one) even for one thing (either contacts or widgets or shortcuts)

thats what i hope nokia do in the new firmware v30

and hope you do that dear nokia

3310,7210,3650,6600,6630,N70,N73,3250,N95,5800,5530
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Knowing Nokia, I think the hell will freeze over before that ever happens. With the advent of the N900, the N97 is history.

Agreed, but then who would have expected Nokia to come out and admit that the N97 had been a disaster for the consumer. I know it's not likely that we'll get anything more than an apology but it doesn't hurt to hope for more.

As for the N900 replacing the N97, I don't agree with this point as they are two quite different devices. The N900 is a niche device for uber geeks and hackers whereas the N97 is definitely meant to be more mainstream. Mind you Nokia's idea of mainstream is a fair way away from Apples. How many iPhone owners would be willing to completely rebuild their device each firmware update to get the most from their phone?

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

or rebuild once a week?

Please use plain text.