Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 FW 30: What would we like to see?

Sage
St3ph3n

omg yes please hurry im getting bored with this phoen ..even if the Sidekick 3 is a very old device, its beyond exciting and better then the n97

n97.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

smirizvi ... Totally agree with you on the image (and video) quality... Kudos given.

Should  Nokia ever bother to try and address the concerns of N97 buyers, as well as ensuring that it really can multi-task and does not run out of RAM ever 5 minutes, they also need to radically improve the GPS software so that getting a fix does not take a lifetime. 

As for niceties, getting rid of the hated bloatware (Boingo, Qik, and the rest of the rubbish) and a decent browser (or at least the opportunity to initial the atrocious one they provide) would be nice.

Unfortunately I think we are dreaming.  Nokia do not seem to care about the damage that they have done to their customer loyalty or the impact on the goodwill of their business.

Please use plain text.
Sage

I couldn't agree more!

......Kudos

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks Ahmmetwally ...

I totally agree with you, froschy and the others that we should keep on bringing the attention of Nokia to the fact that its former loyal customers, who it duped and deceived when marketing the N97, will not quietly go away after being ripped-off and allow Nokia to do the same to new customers with their next so-called flagship.

The only way that Nokia can regain customer loyalty is to address the results of their misrepresentation and misselling of the N97.  If those charged with the Governance of the company really were to act in the best interests of shareholders they would ensure that the N97 performed to the standards that they marketed it as achieving.

Given that Finns (rightly) pride themselves on being one of the most transparent and honest nations when it comes to business, it is a disgrace that Nokia conned its customers and continues to behave this way.

If the Board and management want to regain their dignity and ensure the survival of the company, they would ensure that the N97 debacle is finally resolved with firmware that ensures it performs as per their marketing rather than burying their heads in the sand and hoping that everyone will forget their misrepresentations.

Let's keep up the efforts although given that Nokia continue their policy of not responding to their customers' dissatisfaction, I hold out little hope for the N97 being fixed or the long-term future of Nokia.

Kudos given to you Ahmmetwally and all that keep reminding Nokia of their obligations to its customers, the need to once and for all ensure that the N97 buyers it mislead are provided with the device that they marketed, so that the wealth of its shareholders is maximised in the long-term.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
expensive

I DON'T CARE... IS EITHER NOKIA MAKES IT LIKE THE ONE SHOWN IN THE PROMO VIDEO OR WE WANT OUR MONEY BACK.... NOKIA, IT WAS YOUR PROMISE WHETHER IT SOLELY FOR MARKETING PURPOSE OR ACHIEVABLE DREAM.

AS LONG AS YOU SAID IT, YOU BETTER HONOUR YOUR WORDS. NOKIA IS A GOD DAMN BILLION DOLLARS COMPANY AND YOUR FATE WILL SOON BECOME LIKE MOTOROLA IF YOUR SUPPORT DOESN'T CHANGE IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

Nokia = like an aging old lady around 80 years old.

Apple Iphone = a gorgeous girl around 22 years old
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

It's very clear that Nokia's plan is just to out wait N97 owners and I suspect so far they have been fairly successful on this front given the high rates of N97 being recycled. Basically a lot of people have just cut their losses and moved to another device, hence the slow down in numbers of N97 posts on this forum.

In the end IMHO it's impossible for Nokia to make the device function as marketed because they skimped on the RAM (CPU & NAND memory), that said I would be glad for any future updates that make the phone more stable and reliable as I'm stuck with this device until Jan 2011 unless I want to fork out more money for an interim device to keep me going until this date.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I agree froschy that Nokia are probably just trying to wait this out and hope that people will forget in due course. 

If they are though they are making a serious error of calculation.  The negative publicity they are receiving through this and other forums as well as word-of-mouth are driving high-end innovators to other manufacturers,  Once those sales are lost, and the customers become familiar with other products they are more than likely to purchase the next generations from those manufacturers.  Customer loyalty and trust, once lost, are very difficult to regain.  With product lifecycles being so short and the resultant pricing strategies, it is the innovators who first buy new products from whom companies earn the most.  By losing these customers Nokia is damaging its long-term viability and profitability to the detriment of its shareholders.

Their only solution if they want to act in the best interests of the company is to respond to the debacle by ensuring that the product performs as they marketed it.

I would agree with you that this is likely to be extremely difficult although I would not go so far as saying impossible.  It would take a great deal of effort I am sure, but ingenuity and innovation can produce amazing results if a company really wants to invest in ensuring its future viability.

Unfortunately it seems to me that those charged with the governance of Nokia and its management are not acting in the best interests of the shareholders and rather cravenly want to try and deny the problem ever existed.  If so, they are making short-term mistakes that they will rue in the long-term.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Since v21 of the firmware for the N97, the 5800 has received two firmware updates (v40 & v50) so this leads to the question of when the N97 is going to get it's next firmware update.

As I have said countless time before it would be nice if Nokia could give a roadmap for the N97. It's just not good enough to officially state that there were problems but now everything is rosy with the v21 firmware. This is not true and it shows a complete and utter contempt for your customers who spent a considerable amount on this so called flagship device.

Nine months later I'm still waiting for not only the device that was marketed but also for a reliable and stable device that I can use without always having to wonder if it will crash, restart, lock-up, freeze, etc..., etc..., etc...

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I think we can all draw the obvious conclusion of how important NOKIA feel it is to support the N97 (still the supposed flagship) from the fact that pretty much evry other phone (excl. mini) form current range and recent past have seemingly just had firmware upgrades - X6 fair neough it was wscreeming for it - whilst N97`s despite a rogue appearance of one in the far east a month ago is nowhere to be seen.

I suspect that 1. Nokia know there is nothing they can do to deliver on failed features, 2. as has been pointed out they`re going to out-wait the owners and 3. there are so few N97`s in original purchasers' hands that they don`t care, the damage has been done and either the victims have sold them (or thrown them off a cliff) and moved on or are unwilling to spend more money and are going to wait out their contract (like me) but nothing would induce them to buy a new Nokia "Flagship". There is the odd loony or fanboi who say it,s the best phone they`ve ever had but when pushed their either comparing it to ancient feature phone or N95 they`re moving on from anyone who`s seen  a modern smartphone can see the N97 as the heap of junk it is (obsolete at launch and landfill after 9months). I`m looking forwards so much to our years together.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

well said, kudos for you.

Even without comparison of the competition the N97 is a debacle. Nokia needs to focus on the following three things to make sure this doesn't happen again:

1. Reduce the number of handsets to a bare minimum (I believe they are doing this)
  2. Not use outdated hardware (rumour has it that they will move to snapdragons for S^3)
  3. Only implement features that actually work and only add new features when they are working.

Even so this doesn't help N97 owners stuck with this buggy device so bring on the firmware updates or publicly give up and compensate us.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have at least 15 Nokia phones, and my last one is the N97. And when I say it's the last one, I meanit for real. No more Nokia's for me... I have nokias since 1991!  But now I'm going forward for another brand.!...

Please use plain text.
Sage
masameland

That new HTC which have "unibody" (don't remember the name) seems very nice. Same CPU as in iPhone 3G S and it also looks great! I can believe it feel even better in hand because of aluminumion body, at least better that plasticue N97

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Please use plain text.
Contributor
expensive

[ Edited ]

From what i understand, Nokia N97 is a totally big failure product. There is no point for us to keep on bugging Nokia for a new firmware or something like that. As for Malaysian, I would hardly get my cash back and I don't know about Europeans.

I went to a HTC Shop this afternoon and I tested HTC HD2 and HTC HD Mini. One word to describe "OWNING!!!!!"""

Is not like my current N97, jerky, slow and auto restart (depending on its mood). And always f*&()ng out of memory, specifically RAM.

My next phone is definitely not Nokia... no more after this bad experience... friends around me are now either using HTC or Apple IPhone. Nokia is kinda out dated products for executives like us in Malaysia.

So, to Nokia, you can take your home sweet time to come out with the new firmware. I won't be bothered to upgrade it, no more. Please don't send me any notification anymore.... cos' I will be busy attending to my customers in order to make more sales commission for my new HTC or IPhone.

Oh... by the way, if you need a used N97 to throw at the dog behind your house, kindly contact me, I am glad to return you the phone at zero cost, so that it won't be eating in your end year P&L. So, thanks again, if not for this N97 performs superbly below its satisfactory level, I won't wake up from the nightmare.

Just for your information, Nokia Shop in Malaysia looks **bleep**!!!!!

I am out.... and we will not see again.

Nokia = like an aging old lady around 80 years old.

Apple Iphone = a gorgeous girl around 22 years old
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am getting angrier and angrier with Nokia, but then what makes me happy is the news that their share price has just plummeted today. All this is because they have ignored their customer base and now with much much much better options for cellphones out there people are moving on. N97 is only 10 months old so is my contract (i'm a 24months) so I have a long way to go but I  promise you the first opportunity to get rid of Nokia I will do so. For the same price you could get well build (not like plastic nokia 's) stable with amazing firmware and application support unlike nokia

So Nokia Why should we Stick with. No reason. Global Leader in smartphones no more. I hope your shares go even further into red

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Erka

The worst thing about this phone is that I am really ashamed by it. My friends like to show off their cool smartphones with alot of nice transition effects and fast and responsive OS. I am keeping my N97 as a dark secret in my pocket. It is so slow, inresponsive and boring. And I feel guilty for having it, I feel stupid for bying it instead of the proven well-working iphone as an example. I hate this feeling. I would love to have the N97 that was shown in the promo-video. It seems to be so fast and cool with those transition effects. But I have lost all hope of Nokia being able to provide me with such a phone. I am now hoping for a phone which are a little bit more responsive and faster. And maybe...just maybe a phone which uses the ringtone I have chosen instead of  the Nokia default one. It is amazing that theNokia Flagship of 2009 can't use an mp3 as a ringtone without error and trouble.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Kudos to you Shqipe ...

As a comparison, look at the latest Apple financial results which are in large part the result of continued demand for the iPhone, whereas after less than a year on the market, who would by an N97 now?

The Nokia shares price will continue to suffer until Nokia recognises the on-going damage its failure to resolve the N97 debacle is doing to customer loyalty.  Those charged with Nokia's corporate governance and the management should be ashamed at the damage their continued failure to act has done to shareholder wealth.  

If they really intend to try and protect shareholder wealth, they need to act on the N97's problems before Nokia has lost more of the innovative customers that buy products at the start of their lifecycle - those are the customers from which it earns most.

Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

[ Edited ]

@ Erka - For me it's not so much the transitions (although they would be nice) but rather the snappy, stable phone that Nokia marketed. I think we can all agree that companies generally portray there products in the rosiest of light, like the iPhone ads trimming the video and therefore implying that processes are actually quicker than in reality, but the actual N97 that Nokia sold is so far from the one that they marketed that it's a disgrace. I have also heard that the Finns consider themselves to be very honest business people so Nokia should be doubly embarrassed by the N97 debacle.

I too am ashamed to show people my N97, not for the lack of fancy transition effects, but because I never know when it will play up and require a restart, battery pull, etc... It usually goes something a little like this:

Me: "Hey look at my shiny new toy, it can do voice guided navigation."

Friend: "Wow that's cool, let's have a look."

Me: "OK, I'll start the application."

5 minutes later

Me: "Don't know why it's not connecting, there must be something wrong with the data connection. I'll try restarting it."

Friend: "Sure, let me know when you're ready."

3 minutes later

Me: "OK, it's restarted. Now I'll open the application again."

5 minutes later

Me: "Oh, it's frozen for some reason and the phone is not responding. Maybe if I pull the battery."

Friend: "How about I just take your word for it." Whispers "Lame, I'm glad I bought my iMobile/RobotPhone"

In the end it's not even that we didn't get the phone that Nokia marketed, it's that this phone is still unreliable and I'm only a light phone user so I can only imagine how bad it would be for heavy phone usage.

Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Please use plain text.
Sage

Guys, we NEED TO KNOW IS THERE ANY UPDATES SOON? ANY RUMERS?

Please use plain text.
Amandeepyadav

exactly nokia we desperatly want to know wat are you up to ?

after spending so much of money wat do v get ? a slow outdated phone ... a fake 5 MP camera in which we cant take picture in dark because of yo camera lense default?

leave that ayleast gve us a nice stable and fast ... capable of browsing smoothly and nt hanging up each other moment ...YOU CALL IT A N SERIES DEVICE??? the speakers are so bad ...camera ? browser ?

and now a plenty of updates for the 5800 wat about yo flagship N97 ?

i would ask everyone here are you nt disappointed with the decision of same interface in 5800 new firmware ?

Why d hell did we paid NOKIA the double amount for ? a broken camera and same hardware ?

now same UI ...

a shame !!:smileymad:

N73,5610,N95(best),E71,5800,N97(worst)
Please use plain text.
Advisor

A big + 1 for you.

Why haven`t Nokia attended to the flagship device that was sold at a premium first?

We all can guess the reason; there are lot`s of 5800`s (and E71`s and all the other devices they just updated) and not very many N97`s in circulation  therefore they are pleasing the greates number. However it makes the decision to buy a the Nokia flagship versus a device costing under half at time of purchase look even worse than the already terrible value it has proved to be as the cheaper device has received more regular updates and fixes.

My N97 still drops 1 out of  3 calls that are over 5 mins - it can`t be the cell my old SE W800 has no suchproblems nor do friends near me with Blackberry`s and iPhones etc. Why I`m I having to scratch around trying to preserve my C: space (currently around 10MB) because Nokia haven`t incorporated Maps into firmware or enabled Nokia Messaging ot store on E: for the N97 - again they`re not working on it because they don`t need to for other models.

It`s simply indicative of the scorn they have exhibited towards purchasers form the minute this device did deliver on what was promised. They should be fixin g the outstanding reliability and mem problems on their flagship device before attending tto cheaper phones. Part of the reason for paying a premium price is to receive top level after sales care (after all the N97`s hardware platform hardly justified it`s price over the 5800 as apart from cam keyboard and E: it was the same).

There is a lesson to be learned don`t touch Nokia Flagship devices you will get better support and infinitely better value out of their low to mid range. When the new Symbian 3 devices (currently delayed) are released I would advise very strongly not to buy them immediately but to wait three moths to see if they actually work as advertised first and if they don`t that Nokia are doing something to correct it in a timely fashion (unlike N96 and N97) or look elsewhere for Flagship devices on a modern STABLE OS. Of course by the time you`ve waited 3-4 months from probable late July/August release (and haven`t bought the new iPhone ) and waited for regional roll out then it will probably be November and you may as well wait to see what Symbian 4 with it`s backward compatibility break using the new QT interface brings and wait another 3 months.

That is the sad conclusion of Nokia flagship ownership experience.

Please use plain text.