Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: N97 FW 30: What would we like to see?

Professor
froschy

At the very least Nokia should make the 102 variant (as I understand this variant has the latest maps included in the firmware, saving 10+MB on c drive) of the v21 firmware more widely available.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Counsellor
BiggiN97

"What would we like to see?"

I just wanna see v30 FW:smileytongue:

Advisor

i don.'t think were gonna see a v3 firmware for the N97 as nokia are doing a great job of sweeping it under the carpet. look at the 5800 and how many firmwares it.'s had compared to the N97

Professor
matt_t

[ Edited ]

The 3.x firmware is definitely being worked on.  I've had an email from the software team in reply to an email I sent in to them about the N97 firmware and they confirmed that version 3 is being worked on, will incorporate the new 3.0x Ovi Maps and they're working on making everything smaller and more memory efficient. 

I hope they'll incorporate the new 2.1 Java Runtime in it as well.

As for when it'll be released, I guess it'll be 'when it's done'.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@incey

The 5800 has 7 firmware versions I know (12, 20, 21, 30, 31, 40, 50

The N97 has 3 that I know of (12, 20, 21)

Considering that the 5800 is 8 months older than the N97, and firmware is released on the average of once every 3 months The 5800 should have had 3 more updates than the N97. And when v30 is released the numbers would be at the exact expected number for each phone. So your complaint has no basis as the current situation between the number of firmware updates for the two phones is in fact almost exactly ideal.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Professor
matt_t

[ Edited ]

chanchan05 wrote:
@incey

The 5800 has 7 firmware versions I know (12, 20, 21, 30, 31, 40, 50

The N97 has 3 that I know of (12, 20, 21)

Considering that the 5800 is 8 months older than the N97, and firmware is released on the average of once every 3 months The 5800 should have had 3 more updates than the N97. And when v30 is released the numbers would be at the exact expected number for each phone. So your complaint has no basis as the current situation between the number of firmware updates for the two phones is in fact almost exactly ideal.

Don't forget v10.x that shipped in the N97 originally and v11.x which shipped a couple months later.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@matt_t - ah yes I forgot, and that would bring the number to exactly the expected number of updates the N97 should have at this point. I think the 5800 also had a previous firmware prior to 12.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Professor
froschy

@ matt_t - that sounds promising, I hope they take the opportunity to score some quick points by removing the useless trial apps and therefore saving valuable space on the NAND memory.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Sage
masameland

They ain't doing this because of lack of internal memory in some devices (pfew, guess what would be?) You can read this information from beta labs, actually right here: JRB FAQ

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Professor
matt_t

[ Edited ]

masameland wrote:

They ain't doing this because of lack of internal memory in some devices (pfew, guess what would be?) You can read this information from beta labs, actually right here: JRB FAQ

No one ever stated it was being done because of a lack of internal memory on 'some devices', just that it would benefit the N97 in particular with the new firmware developments on the way.  The Java Runtime software is nothing to do with the firmware per se any more, it's developed separately now.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Sage
jaredmorgs

matt_t

I was having all sorts of problems with java games on the N97 until I install Java2 v2.1 from beta labs about a week after getting the N97. Wow: what a difference it made.

For example, Brick Breaker Revolution II was crashing every three minutes, but I can play it for at least one continuous hour now without crash.

This java update should be better publicised IMHO
Nokia N8
Professor
matt_t

jaredmorgs wrote:
matt_t

I was having all sorts of problems with java games on the N97 until I install Java2 v2.1 from beta labs about a week after getting the N97. Wow: what a difference it made.

For example, Brick Breaker Revolution II was crashing every three minutes, but I can play it for at least one continuous hour now without crash.

This java update should be better publicised IMHO

I am sure it will be when it's released.  For the time being, it's beta software so actively promoting it isn't necessarily a good idea in case there are problems lurking in the code.  A smaller group of people who agree to run beta software is easier to appease then the masses downloading something they aren't necessarily familiar with.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Registered Member
orville_shotta

Threaded SmS

And All Of The Above

And Alot More Extra Nokia Surprises...

Professor
froschy

Just to reiterate, this is what I'm hoping for in v30:
- stability and performance improvements
- stability with Internet based widgets
- removal of trial software
- integration of maps in firmware
- removal of nag notices
- better data connection mgmt
- proper integration of Nokia messaging
- proper integration of Skype
- browser improvements
- implementation of default apps
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Mobile Visionary
zoro06

all i want is to SEE IT ...
-you can show appreciation to my posts if it helped or useful by pressing the green Kudo star beside my post that hepled :smileyhappy:
-if my answer was the solution , so click accept as solution button
Started From Nokia 3310 , Now with Nokia N97 v.22.0.110 + N900 PR1.2
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

There's a new update for n97. minor though.

/t5/Nseries-Devices-and-S60/N97-software-update/td-p/689559
Professor
matt_t

Re: FW 30: What would we like to see?

[ Edited ]

froschy wrote:

Knowing Nokia, I think the hell will freeze over before that ever happens. With the advent of the N900, the N97 is history.

Agreed, but then who would have expected Nokia to come out and admit that the N97 had been a disaster for the consumer. I know it's not likely that we'll get anything more than an apology but it doesn't hurt to hope for more.

As for the N900 replacing the N97, I don't agree with this point as they are two quite different devices. The N900 is a niche device for uber geeks and hackers whereas the N97 is definitely meant to be more mainstream. Mind you Nokia's idea of mainstream is a fair way away from Apples. How many iPhone owners would be willing to completely rebuild their device each firmware update to get the most from their phone?

The N900 is the first and last device to run Maemo.  So that platform is no longer part of Nokia's lineup.  At least Symbian will (and most definitely is) continuing past our beloved N97.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Professor
matt_t

That version/revision certainly isn't new.  It's the Euro generic version that came out when Nokia first released v21 for the N97 weeks ago.  I've been running it since it came out back then.

Nokia N8 on O2-UK
Firmware 022.014
Professor
froschy

Still waiting...
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
Sage
masameland

@froschy

You have to be frustrated, maybe it accerates it's releasing.

Like this: Stiiiiiiiiiiillll waiiiiiitiiiiiingggggg..........

=)

joke if somebody didn't get it.

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97