Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

e wRe: N97 - NSU update always fails with 'Device ...

Counsellor
Accepted Solution

N97 - NSU update always fails with 'Device Recovery'

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can give me some advise please.  Trying to update my N97 to the V11 firmware.   NSU correctly identifys the phone, current firmware and then proceeds to download the new firmware.

At Step 3/3 it announes that it's "Updating software, please wait", and just underneath 'Estimate time left: 15 minutes".  It will sit like this for a while and then show 'Device Recovery'

N97 - NSU update always fails with 'Device Recovery' followed by the instructions:

'Nokia Software Updater has lost its connection with your device.  Follow these steps to help reconnect your device:

1. Remove the battery, charger and USB cable from your device.

2. Re-insert the USB cable, then the battery and finally the charger.

3. Press the device's power button for 1 second.

4. Click 'Retry' below to continue updating, or click 'Cancel' to stop the updating procedure.'

If I follow these, and hit retry the process will start again, although maybe the 'Estimate time left' will have reduced but eventually this error will occur.

I've tried this on two different laptops - one running Vista, and other XP and am using the latest NSU application.   I've shutdown any running AV software - but can't get past this error.

Anything else I should try please?.

Thanks

Iain

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: N97 - NSU update always fails with 'Device Recovery'

Hi. Few days ago i have the same problem with updating. I try three or four times and it always fails with the same 'Device Recovery'. Then i restart the phone and re-insert USB cabel and it done well. Hope it helps you too.
Please use plain text.
Professor
post007

Do this.. Uninstall Nokia PC Suite and NSU from your PC and restart it. Now download the latest version of Nokia PC Suite and NSU from Nokia website and install it in your PC and restart it again. Now turn off firewall and antivirus software and connect your mobile with PC. Now backup all the data of your mobile using Nokia PC Suite backup utility (for safety, if any problem persist). Now restart your mobile and connect it with your PC using original data cable. Use another USB port of your system. Now run NSU and do the procedure as written in NSU. Don't run any application in your PC or mobile. Don't touch your mobile untill "successful update" message appear in NSU. Good luck...
If you like my post then give me "Kudos" star...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Sadly that didn't help, but thanks for the post.   Similar my own attempts (after following your instructions) also didn't help. 

These included:

- Resetting the Phone to factory settings via Settings -> Phone - >  Phone Mgmt - > Factory Settings.

- Hard Reset via *#7370#

Any other ideas, or is the handset at fault in some fashion.

Thanks

Iain

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Problem Solved - got hold of better XP laptop today at work and this happily updated the firmware.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Iain

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi Iain,

I'm having the same problem with the firmware update of my N95 8GB, with NUS repeatedly giving me the Device Recovery screen. I understand you eventually managed to upgrade your N97, although I am not very sure how the "better XP laptop" helped. Could you be a bit more specific as to what exactly you did, so that I can try and solve the problem here as well? Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I had the same problem with my N85. I did the following, which resolved the problem. Don't know which of the two solved it:

1. I removed my memory card

2. I uninstalled Nokia PC Suite software altogether

After doing the above, I started the Software Update process anew, and it worked this time.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
YogeshPatil

e wRe: N97 - NSU update always fails with 'Device Recovery'

Hi, I am also getting same issue with my Nokia N97, i have installed Nokia Updater on Windows 7, also tried it on Windows XP / Vista still it fails to update, and get back to Device Recovery page.
Please use plain text.