Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 New Firmware coming 1st July 2009

Counsellor

N97 New Firmware coming 1st July 2009

Everyone take a big sigh of relief because I have good word that the N97 is getting it's first firmware update this Wednesday.

Not sure what time and what'll be fixed but fingers crossed, most of the common bugs will disappear!

Jon. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: N97 New Firmware coming 1st July 2009

Nokia wrote:

I am sure you guys are all interested to know how testing has been going, and we are pleased to report that at the labs the new fw is ready, and we are finalising the upgrade and distribution method ready for this Wednesday 

There have been over 100 fixes and improvements, I shall cover the main ones:

the lock/unlock/backlight bug has been fixed. This was caused by the handset not reporting autolock correctly and thought it was still unlocked, despite the backlight being switched off which is independant. When users were trying to unlock their handset, they were infact locking it, and then unlocking it.

There have been some subtle changes to the way the interface responds. For example, the phonebook now has kinetic scrolling, and swiping the screen sideways to hide the homescreen has been taken further, so that swiping when in primary functions such as phonebook, application menu and a few others will revert the screen back. This is also the case for the web browser. The way the home screen and main menus were rendered has also been refined. Screens will load up quicker, and the phone will use idle time between user presses to load items just off screen, scrolling is also much improved by this.

Nokia Maps application has been given a new look, while positioning accuracy has been improved. The time taken from starting the application to getting a lock has been improved, with times around 8 seconds or less when in combination with A-GPS. The door-to-door has also been improved, with walking routes giving audio feedback as well, direct to house.

When the phone went through different primary connections for data, such as 3g packet, or Wifi, certain widgets became stuck in a loop where they continuously recieving a null from the previous connection method. The phone has a new feature for developers that 'shouts' when a connection is changed, in addition to lost. The widgets have been updated accordingly and we have updated our knowledge base accordingly.

When large videos were played through quickly, sometimes the screen went black as the video information could not sync up with the raw video data quick enough. This was especially apparent when skipping through multiple videos quickly. This has been addressed by caching the first 30 frames of each video before allowing playback to commence and we have had no problems of this kind.

Community made applications that began on phone start up, and then got stuck in an error loop were unable to terminate or uninstall. We have addressed this by adding a terminate now feature to the application menu. When switching application, holding down on the application will display the option to do so.

The pictures and video clips made with the phone sometimes did not update in the photo/video library after files had been manually added via a transfer. This was due to the way in which files were counted and stored by phone conflicting with the number of files present on the device and has been resolved.

Text messaging now has the option to confirm sending once the green button/send button is pressed. An option was also added to prevent accidental sending of blank messages.

The symbols menu has been updated to include french, german and spanish special characters.

H264 decoding is now supported! The ovi suite has also been updated to automaticly convert most common video formats to the native phone display resolution and format.

And a big one last for you guys...
Multitouch support has been added. The paint application has been updated to show this in practical use, and photos can be zoomed in and out by squashing or streching the image. Again the knowledge base was updated to provide developers the new input fuction should they wish to take advantage.

Quoted from the Mobile Review forums... 
Sounds good! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

Re: N97, Reboot automatically Firmware V10.0.012.229.01 Dated 29-05-2009

[ Edited ]

I brought N97 on 27-JUN-2009 in Hong Kong. I occasionally experience the N97's suddenly turns off and reboot...especially using the Wi-Fi.....

I checked firmware version of N97 is V10.0.012.229.01 dated 29-05-2009. Will the new Firmware coming on 1st July 2009 also fix such reboot problem?

Message Edited by bardeen on 29-Jun-2009 04:14 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

This is great news!!!  I am happy to hear they are addressing the widgets freeze, and lock-unlock backlight issues.  Yes!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage

Since this post (from "Nokia") was posted on mobile review by a poster with a post count of 1, I think it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.  It all sounded fairly belivable until the bit about multi-touch at the end.

I hope I'm proved wrong. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Lets hope most of this is true.  the 1st of July release date is credible, as its from Nokia Conversations, an Official Nokia blog, but as to the post here of the fixes, we need some proof of who posted it.  A clue maybe if you search the posters previous posts within these forums:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i spoke to the careline over here in singapore..

i asked about the new firmware.

apparently, she told me its available and i could go to any care centre to get updated but not over the air..

will be going to the care centre over the week..

Please use plain text.

Hi, I am from SG too.. can update me if you manage to update the firmware at the centre.. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

sure matey..

no probs..

Please use plain text.

Quick Office editing feature not available......

can ne1 help..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

All sounds good if it is true! Although like others, multitouch? I'd thought the design of the screen meant this was not possible. I'm hoping I'm wrong!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

This info has appeared on many other forums and has been found to be a practical joke, from what others are saying.

Please use plain text.
Sage

We'll find out tomorrow.
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

Why doesn't Nokia release a changelog for the firmware to stop all of this speculation. At this point you would expect that the firmware update has been finalised.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Sage

This is from the Software Update news pages:

This software release includes significant improvements in the software stability, especially email, imaging, USB detection, widget stability and display transitions. To enable you to get the most out of your Nokia N97, the release also includes an Ovi store client. Further application updates will become available soon.

I updated this morning. Sweet.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Oh how great to see that the alarms still don't go off when they're supposed to. I'm sending this piece of **bleep** back!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Is this update available yet?

And if so for which types, I have a RM-505 and have tried looking for the update with the handset itself but am not finding anything at the moment...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

It's not the model number but the product code that counts. All non-US and non-China variants of the N97 are RM-505.

I just updated my product code 0576350 earlier today.

Check on NSU as well as FOTA.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
Cheers I'll give this a look tonight when I get home :smileyhappy:
Message Edited by dirkus on 01-Jul-2009 11:37 AM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
grimreaper

Still no update available on NSU or FOTA for product code 0587240 (uk variant direct from Nokia Online Shop)

I really hope they add this soon because i also sell Nokia's in a Carphone Warehouse branch & it's hard to demo a "faulty" handset & still sell it.

Can any of you guy's who have managed to update already let me know how you did it? (NSU OR FOTA?)

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.