Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 New Firmware coming 1st July 2009

Mobile Emperor
psychomania

[ Edited ]

Have you been with them less than two week?  If so I think you can still get out of your contract.

Another tactic that sometimes works (but is very inconvenient) is to keep on returning your phone as faulty.  After 3 times you have a case for "not fit for purpose".

I hope you manage to solve this one way or another.

P.S. My N97 is originally from mobile phones direct but I use it with a 3 sim only deal.

Message Edited by psychomania on 08-Jul-2009 04:25 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ash_n97

I have had my N97 for 4 days now and have noticed that some of the glitches mentioned do occur and they are a pain tbh!

Luckily I managed to swap my previous phone 5800 for the N97 (Black, GSM) and in comparison the software is rather slow! Even my girlfriend who is now using the 5800 notices the difference!

The slow transitions has to be the worse part sometimes when I click on messaging the menu doesn't appear, however if I scroll over the screen the buttons finally appear one by one! (slow refresh?)

Does anyone have any more news on when the official update is being released?

My current firmware is supposedly update but I know it's not!

Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

today is day 8, i called them yesterday but was told that i could not return it if i had used it, if it was faulty i could get another one (as you suggest this is an option) or get another phone.  what they repeatedly refused to do it allow me to return it and cancel the contract.  14 day policy is in effect but seems my circumstances do not fit this. 

tried the software updater for the fun of it but that doesnt work now anyway, missing components, used to work...tried to uninstall the updater and reinstall it to no avail. 

does the version of software updater get its update as quickly? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
grimreaper

Can any of you guy's on 3 confirm if you have skype on your handsets?

The reason i ask is because there was a joint press release from skype/nokia a while back talking about it being available on the n97 but through a firmware update, rather than standard .sisx download.

From what i remember this was rumoured to be available Q3 2009.

Maybe 3 users have to wait til then for thier first update?

you can check out the press release here http://about.skype.com/2009/02/skype_and_nokia_partner_to_int.html

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

the n97 on 3 fw does come with skype and msn.  When you try and lanch them it takes you to the 3 website to download the 3 version.  both of these work with the phone and utilise the touchscreen.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
grimreaper

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully it'll be embedded in the next firmware update for generic handsets too because the skype/msn websites say the handset isn't supported yet.

I'd rather die on my feet, Than keep living on my knee's!
Please use plain text.

Skype and msn is free with the fring tool, works like a charme! incl Sip cals Fring is available for N97
N97 Black (uk)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
audiobear

QuickOffice say that an upgrade that works on the N97 is due soon but haven't quoted a date yet.  QuickOffice Premier 6 definitely is not compatible with the N97 so don't try upgrading to that
Nokia Black locked on 3(UK) firmware v 11.0.021
RM-505
Please use plain text.

hey man,

so i have the same problems as you do ,  did the update but nothing happen .. and i lookd at the 5800 the interface is much fester and the tuch screen is much better,?@?#$ **bleep**?

more then that when i open my keyboard the screen goes black for 2 seconds and then moves for the horizontal position..

Somebody have solution? 

Please use plain text.

jhherome wrote:

hey im home!!! gone from school.. i check the updater still no update..

what in the world is happening. here..where are the nOKIA TECHNO Peeps ..the prophecy has been told that the NIBIRU 2012 AD The End! and still no update. YET!!!

I WANT THAT UPDATE NOW!!
noW
RIGHT NOW>>

im SITTING here

waiting now

now

now

I SAID NOW!!!!

GIVE ME NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Throwing a Tantrum like that might have got you an N97 but it won't get you the Firmware any quicker

LOL such an epic fail

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i keep getting "connection error" on my three network n97 in the device updates. could somebody please tell me there three network server profile settings its in the options menue in device opdates (*#0000#)

thankyou

michael 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

The update isn't available via FOTA and the phone's device manager, only via NSU.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
robbyrook

[ Edited ]

Had a text from My Nokia here in the UK at 12.54pm this afternoon saying that the new update was available. Sadly my phone needed to be charged up so I had to wait before installing the update which went perfectly via Nokia PC Suite and the Nokia Software Updater on that.  All seems to be well but I suppose I now have to dig about to see what the differences/improvements are.  I think I can see some new icons but I can't see Skype included there.

I'm on O2 if that makes a difference but bought the phone as SIM free and unlocked.

Regards

Robbyrook

Message Edited by robbyrook on 14-Jul-2009 05:24 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Dear Nokia support center:

Yesterday I have just received my second N97 ( the first one dead after a software upgrade) and I only want to say you that NSU is the WORST application ever done. My second N97 is now dead as my fist was. I can`t understand how you let users the facility to update ours devices is there is a high risk to break the phone (at least let it unusable).

I think you must reconsider the posibility that a user itself upgrade the device until your fatal NSU work as it ever must work.

Best regards from an angry Nokia phone user.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

abrmartin wrote:

Dear Nokia support center:

Let me stop you right there...

This is not a Nokia support centre. It is a public forum populated mostly by other users of Nokia products like yourself but also the occasional member of Nokia staff. Note that the latter will never participate in their official capacity, though. You will never get an official statement from Nokia about anything on these forums because that's not what they're for.

If you want to get a message to Nokia themselves then use the "contact us" link in the navigation bar at the top of all forum pages and follow your mouse.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Upgraded my firmware last night via PC, definitely lost the unlocking/backlight problem that was there before.

I think the power management software appears to be better on mine, though not sure tbh. Think the colour scheme has changed, was quite chuffed that it didn't delete everything from the handset when it updated too, not that I had anything important that I hadn't backed up anyway, but it saves me a bit of time...

Have also noticed that switching between network and wifi connections actually works now without me needing to turn the phone off and on again, this may make the original issue I had with the iplayer easier to solve as well (?)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

For anyone on the three network. I've just got off the Technical Support chat with them and they have confirmed to me that they are working on the update and it will be available at some time but they couldn't give a date.

I'm relieved they are going to make it available and I hope i wasn't being spun a varn, but I'm going to have to exercise some copious amounts of patience

Does anyone know if your handset turning off and resetting the date and time is an issue fixed by the update?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

well, just spoke to 3 "technical support" and asked about the firmware update. He said they had not had any complaints about the phone and so had no plans to release a new firmware.  As usual he would not listen to my assurances that many people have compained to 3 and that Voda have updated its firmware.  Talking to 3 is like talking to a brick wall.  i would like to think that the person you spoke to was right and the one I had was just speaking from script.

its a great phone in many ways, but the bugs and the way the GPS is unreliable is really annoying me now...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I spoke to three tech support on Saturday and was told that a firmware upgrade is coming but they can't give a date.  The chap I spoke to said he'd send me an SMS when the firmware update is available.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Finally software update available for White unbranded UK  N97 (0587240)

Have just updated firmware and phone seems to run smoother and unlocking phone is definitely better now!!

Will have to wait and see if there are any other major differences but happy either way!!

Please use plain text.