Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N97 New Firmware coming 1st July 2009

Mobile Visionary
foxmeister

Re: N97 New Firmware coming 1st July 2009

hdlesta1984 wrote:

yeh me 2 mate, just had a play with a samsung i8910 the touch screen is alot better on that plus an 8 megpixel camera... considering swaping my n97  for one of those, n97 still seems like its an n95 with touch screen not moved on much!

Remember though. that although there might be a wait involved, at least Nokia does Release updates quite regularly. Samsung don't always

If this Post is helpful. A click on the White Kudos star is always Appreciated

Last Nokia: Nokia Lumia 800

Current Phone: A Non Nokia Device

Previous Phones:Don't Ask ;-)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Just to check; any other users from Singapore who've managed to update their firmware?

I got a set from Singtel; went to the Nokia Care Center and they said the update's not available yet and they'd inform me once it is. Got a call the same evening from them saying it's available but when I tried FOTA and also NSU, I didn't find anything new.

Is it coz it's tied to the operator, which is why it'll take some time before they have the updated firmware for a particular telco?

Thanks in advance for any reply

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

If the phone was provided by your operator then the chances are that it's a branded phone.

http://linux.sgms-centre.com/nokiafaq/branded-phones/

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

People,

I don't know when they are going to get the update all over the planet...this is really lousy and negligent work...they have taken us granted....come on...Nokia..you deserve that your customers shift over....!

Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

I got my N97 from SingTel too. No update so far. I noticed that the branded firmware that came with the phone was "released" 13 days after the base level unbranded firmware was release. If this is an indication of anything, perhaps we're going to have to wait about 10 more days to see the update available. (This is just a guess of course.)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

me too from singtel. no updates so far. this is so frustrating.
Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

I was hoping as an early adopter I would be getting an unbranded phone. My previous N95 8GB was purchased from SingTel, and it was unbranded, and it was cool getting firmware updates instantly as they were announced. But seems like SingTel has become pretty quick to get their branded firmware in for the N97.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

thanks for the reply,grschinon; found the link real helpful :smileyhappy: been a long time nokia user but it's only after i got the n97 that i wanted to find out more about firmware upgrading.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

actually,my n97 hasn't been giving all that many problems; probably a tad slow but it doesn't do stuff like reboot 30 times a day or have the alarm ring 3 or 4 minutes late. maybe it's something to do with our regional firmware?

am wondering the nokia care center would be able to do the update then though? or is the firmware only for unbranded phones for now?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

just came back from nokia care at suntec singapore..

i had it updated..

Software version

V 11.0.021

Software Version date

15-06-2009

Custom Version

11.0.021.C01.01

Custome version date

15-06-2009

Mine is not a branded phone..

Seems like its the same..

can't find anything different.

maybe i haven meddle with it much..

will keep u guys updated once i found something new..

Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

Cool. I wonder if they can gimme that firmware too. :smileyhappy: Do you experience the problem with lock/unlock confusion? That would be a good improvement to look forward too.

My Singtel phone has like three extra games and 2 years navigation. Does any of these get affected if the phone is upgraded to a new firmware? 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Still no update for the UK!!!!
Please use plain text.

Update not available through Software updater and FOTA in INDIA...

from where could i get my N97 updated...

please help...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

After update, the issue of "when receive a call and the device is key locked, when you pick the phone it still shows that somebody calling in the screen, even after hanging up". we should reboot the phone.

I supposed this firmware fixed the problem, but I think my confiance to Nokia is decreasin.

I thought with this mobile, Nokia will beat IPhone, but my expectation was wrong

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

by the way is there any third party software for nokia n97 that can voice recognition which will detect your voice if you speak.. that will input automatically as a text on the box if your doing a sms msg or somthing

tell me please now

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes you pass the phone to the wife and tell her what to txt
Please use plain text.

Hi all,

I am from Singapore and gotten the first batch of N97 from the pre-order, from network provider M1.

I have also just updated my firmware using my laptop PC suit 2 days ago.

Using it for the past few days. The unlock and lock confusion is fixed for now and I'm starting to enjoy the phone more. And the crashes of browser hasn't happened yet.

There is 2 'bug' i would like to feedback.

1) When i tries to access 'Messaging' from the main screen ('Messaging' is one of my shortcut keys), the Messaging screen will appear as half visible and half invisible! If you know the position of the 'Inbox', you can still select it from the invisble part by touching the screen.

2) As I use the Bloomberg widget quite a bit, there is still one issue that is bothering me for the widget.

Here goes... when i'm at home or office, i uses the Wifi to download the news. When i forgot to disconnect it and i left the vincinity, the widget will still continue to search for the WLAN when i attempt to use the widget. There is no way of disconnecting it or changing to data package when you are already out of the connection zone. 

I tried using the web browser and it allows me to chose what kind of connection i need. (So i chose data package). While the browser remain open and the connection active, i tried to download the Bloomberg news again. Still it tries to connect to the WLAN which by this time is already 40km away! 

I tried using APnews and the same happens. Both Bloomberg and APnews are on my main screen.

Then i tried using Accuweather (which is not on the main screen) and it still tries to connect to the WLAN.

I open WLAN wizard but there's no option to disconnect. (As there's no other WLAN detected)

I tried again in office and this time, there is WLAN detected. I then tries to connect to the new WLAN, disconnect it while in range and tries the Bloomberg widget again. It works now! It allows me to choose which network i wan to use this time. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
zitseng

Hi owram2,

Just curious. Is your phone M1 branded? Can you post your product code? Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi,

I have a BIG PROBLEM, when I was updating the software of NOKIA N97 the computer POWER OFF after finishing dowload and begining of updating, so the Mobile is completely white screen. i removed the batery and restart the device but it is completely black now. Can you help me with this please

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Did you read the post entitled "Recovering from a failed firmware update" in the Pool of Knowledge?

/discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=112

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.