Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 fw update 2.1

Advisor

Whats the deal? 

Release already. I'm still at FW 1.2, Nokia won't even let me update to FW2.0

N97 NAM RM507 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I too have a NAM N97 0575400 product and WHERE IS OUR FIRMWARE UPDATE!

this is ridiculous

Please use plain text.
Advisor

@captaino

I have it worst my friend. I had the FW2.0. Then my phone had the lens scratch problem. I sent the phone in for warranty repair. Instead of fixing the phone, nokia deemed it unrepairable and sent me a replacement unit stuck on FW12.0. Now Nokia will not let me update to FW2.0 (due to bugs and instability)... even though it was working fine with my original N97.

Whats the deal nokia? 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Imlite was correct   the MAPS 3.3  Free Over the Air update on the phone that arrived late last night did eventualy install after removing the old beta version i had of 3.03  Thanks imlite

However its just another example of BAD NOKIA there was no talk or mention of having to do this therfore is another BUG

Pria to imlite's advice I also tried update via OVI Suite

Device update (from PC ovi suite)  whcih said their are 2 updates available

1. ovi Maps - with free navigation (update)    ( V3.3(246)  Size 7.8MB IMPORTANT)

2. Maps and maps data (update)                 (V3             Size 5.4MB + maps data   RECOMENDED

Out of itnerest i tried No.2 above but its an old version 
Nokia maps already
exsists. Replace Version
3.03(54) with version 3.01(32)        so  "WHAT THE HELL"?   

Anyway on a positive not  MAPS 3.3  is working great  much improved from my beta version and so far NO BUGS!!!!

I can't understand Nokia  allowing all this negative feedback in the public domain  all they need do is keep their customers officialy well informed.  their seems to be no means to contact Nokia about bugs etc apart from public forums which you never know if anyone official is going to read. I have refreind from any public negative comment until today but Nokia deserv all they get Now   N97 is the the 21st century Betamax  everyone wished they got something else. The only thing that keeps my faith is the fact they fixed the N95 which was a great phone.  Is it too late for N97?   Let the designers of MAPS now work on the firmware. NOKIA WHERE CAN I SEND A CONTRUCTIVE LETTER TO HELP YOU FIX THE N97 ISSUES?

RANT OVER   sigh

Please use plain text.

Well my friend, the problem is not ONLY to nokia.

The product code that you have is a PC for a mobile network operator and the update WILL NOT be available for your PC.

The best way to update your phone is changing the PC of your phone, but watch out, you can lose your warranty.

Google it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

That would be the worst way to update your phone via changing your product code. You lose your warranty. Especially with the N97 with the potential lens scratch issue and GPS reception problems, I would advise people against changing your product code. 

Most folks on the forum are just ranting and need a avenue to vent their frustration... although there are ways to update your phone, its not worth voiding a warranty. 

I'm upset with Nokia, but I'm willing to wait for a good stable update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Fender77

As Munster34 says: Don't do it, and find a place somewhere else to talk about it.
Unlimited Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

V2.1 stable?? HAHAHAHAHAHa
n97.
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Why are people "waiting"? A company this GIANT can't get a decent update done in 7 months? We are WAY past being justifiably upset. Do you think that another week, or month, is going to make that much difference? Do you not deserve better treatment for your $? I paid $600 for my (currently valued at $300 on Ebay) phone. This product can either not be salvaged, or Nokia doesn't care enough to get it done. THIS IS THE BOTTOM LINE. 
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Look girls and boys,Our expectations for new firmware are really tragically. In mean time, we must make clear same things:Nokia started to sell N97 somewhere in June 2009.Today, 7 month later, we still have problems with elementary stability of the phone.Nokia now try to make firmware “stable as a rock”. Now, 7 months later???We exchange the information that the new firmware will be out before new Maps 3.03. Wrong.... Why? N97 has obviously same big problem in design. Hardware and software design.Lens scratches, bad design of GPS antenna and bad memory design. So, you must be David Copperfield to put something big (all application for smart phones) in something such small (C: drive of N97 memory). Nokia engineers try to be David, but when the magic ends then the BSOD appears :-)))) So, I expect that N97 will never have firmware v40, like 5800 today. We also can forget for new Symbian version. Bad hardware (memory) design can’t be resolved, this is my opinion. So, I use the N97 every day. This is heavy-duty use. It works, but with quite a lot troubles. (BSOD, resets, freezes – sometimes in ordinary and basically operations like telephone calls).  Conclusion: don’t expect too much from new firmware. Don’t expect many new things in firmware. Personally, I will continue to use the phone. But, when I changed my N95 I was very sad (it never stops on BSOD, it never hangs, or freezes). When I will change my N97 I will be happy.  
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Funny you say that. I had an N95-3, as well. GREAT phone. One of my immediate options is getting an N95 8GB. It has a larger screen, and more built in memory. The sad thing is, "they" say the N95-1 was horrible when it first came out too. Lesson to be learned; all subsequent versions had twice the RAM. We (N97er's), are pretty much the "new" original "N95er's". Just collateral damage of corporate penny pinching, fading slowly away.....
Please use plain text.

The funny thing here in Brazil on the advertisement of nokia is that the following sentence appears in the advertisement.
"Nokia N97, Surprise yourself"

I'm starting to ask myself... "Is that a joke? A realy bad joke?"

And about the change of the PC, i changed my pct, update to FW 2.0 and after 2 weeks i sent my N97 to Nokia Care to fix the lens problem. In this last saturday, i got it back... Lens fixed and no charge (ecause the warrantly).

See ya =]

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

"Nokia N97, Surprise yourself" hehe really well I did get a surprise...how **bleep** the device actually was!
n97.
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

..i just said c-ra-p and i get bleeped
n97.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arucard

Man , where is the v2.1 fw , still waiting :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Employee
xbungle

Dear updaters

Nokia N97 software update 2.1
The Nokia N97 software update release 2.1 will be available through the Nokia Software Updater on Monday 1 February. The software version number will be 21.0.045 (RM-505) or 21.2.045 (RM-507) depending on your region, and should be available by 08:00 GMT. The release for N97 China 2G (RM-506) will follow shortly. This 2.1 release offers additional improvements to the 2.0 release made last year.

Software availability
As usual, we will published standard non-customised versions of the software, with country (SIM-free) and operator versions following over the next few days and weeks. The Nokia N97 (and several other devices) can check automatically for new software. Go to Menu > Applications > SW Update and enable automatic checking. MyNokia members will also receive an SMS stating "new software is available" as the deployment progresses. To register, go to Menu > Applications > My Nokia > Sign up or visit www.nokia.com/mynokia.

Using your PC to update
Initially, this software update is only available through the Nokia Software Updater. Due to wealth of new content available in this release, the over-the-air "FOTA" packages are larger than normal (around 17MB) and to allow for sufficient testing, delivery will be slightly delayed.

Backups before updating your Nokia N97 are not essential, but to help you get the most from your new software, we recommend that you sync your device or make a backup excluding settings before updating. After the update, reset your device by keying *#7370# and enter your lock code (default = 12345). Then you can resync your device and restore your backup. Finally, visit Ovi Store to download the latest versions of your favourite applications.

What's new
The software contains many fixes and improvements on the earlier releases including:

• Improved call reliability 
  • Smooth touch screen scrolling 
  • Browser improvements 
  • Music player improvements 
  • Improved image and video stability 

Warm regards,
The Nokia Software Update team

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

Will this update be available also for PC 0586701?

I still have v12 in my phone.

If not I (and not only I)  will be very very angry :/

Message Edited by Yola on 29-Jan-2010 11:29 AM
Nokia N97
PC 0586701 RM-505 FW v 12.0.026
Please use plain text.
Contributor

thank you...:smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rider5512