Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 fw update 2.1

Sage
timmyjo

Hear that Nokia, we don't even want to sell this thing on Ebay. I may end up smashing mine into little bits. NOT to be childish, but to spare anyone else from owning this FAILED product. Yet I still await the release of the N8. I have nothing to lose, I have my Nexus One.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

its Cleer N97 caused us  users much pain  and for an expensive product it "Did NOT deliver its promises

But since 2.1 Firmware my phone has been "usable"  everything works (allbiet not the best touch experience and a little slugish at times)   Nokia  Maps is the best (I have not used a standalone sat nav as good)    

I have feeling of disapointment in Nokia (after owning a N95  which to this day performed most tasks better than my N97 and had Nokia internet radio and HOME NETWORK  (home network was amazing  - a massive disapointment that N97 doesn't do this even my old hp ipaq used to be able to do this 7 years ago)

Dispite all this disapointment and frustration at lack of comunication and feedback from Nokia the N97 with 2.1  F/W  is far from useless   if yours is then you have something wrong whipe whole drive hard reset and re install 2.1 because it is usable honist.

Whatever this next release is I hope it delivers a better touch experience smother operating and home network, and it would be nice if Nokia made up for our disapointment but throwing in a few bells and whistles, you might just make us stay with you. 

Some FEEBACK for Nokia  - I noticed that after time i lose C: memory even after clearing cashe    but i can get it back by doing a backup?    weird a?  

I'm looking forward to next F/W release i'm hoping this is like N95 hat was bad at first but got better and better with new firmware.

If Nokia don't fix N97 with F/W then  my next phone will NOT be nokia for sure. 

NOKIA ADVICE  STOP making so many models (no onder Apple iPhones are hurting you bad)  a range of four phones should be enough for any company  make a couple of really good perfect phones   not lots of nearly good ones, solution is staring you in the face !!!!!!!!

Also pool your respurces who done what good, what team did maps, sports tracker etc. let these guys work on the broken bits.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
teece

[ Edited ]

@xbungle

Thanks for you feedback, however I must say that whilst Nokia may have found a different way of working, that does not help N97 owners who locked themselves into long contracts with service providers and are stuck with the useless N97, and those of us who have had to bite the bullet and spent our hard earned cash to purchase another phone to replace it mid way through our contracts.

The mention of the N8 dos not fill me with any confidence no matter how good it is, because I have lost confidence with Nokia because of how owners of the N97 were treated and let down. I know you fixed some of the hardware issues eventually but you failed to recall such a disastrous phone in the early stage when the issues were very apparent.

The N97 was a good phone on paper and I loved some of it’s many features with many new phones today lack, but Nokia dropped the ball when designing how the software and the phone would interact (and that’s if we temporarily ignore the hardware issues).

Luckily my service provider sent me a Sony Ericson X10 in place of my N97 many months on when I was going to send it in for recycling,  now my wife loves and is enjoying the SE X10 and I have a far superior experience with the Nexus One, so eventually everything worked out, unfortunately no thanks to Nokia.

Kudos to Vodafone.

m2c

Please use plain text.
Employee
xbungle

Hi

There are many people who use the N97 and find it works just fine (I still see many colleagues using the N97 for their daily phone/email use despite newer models being available - I use an N97 mini myself which has the same 2.1 software).

Here's a quick guide to updating and using N97 that was prepared for our call centres. This forum was created so you could "ask for assistance from other Nokia users and help others by providing solutions". What would you add - apart from the noted comments about door stops, drawer fillers, paperweights, etc. - to help others get the best out of their phone?

Many thanks

- xbungle

-------

Preparation

If an update is available, we recommend the following steps to ensure a good experience during and after the update.

1. Sync or backup. A backup is not essential, but many people have found resetting the device beneficial, so a backup is then needed. You only need to backup phone memory, but do not include your settings.

Updating

Depending on availability, you may be able to use your device to update. If not, you can always use Nokia Software Updater or Nokia Ovi Suite.

1. To use your device to update, tap Menu > Applications > SW Update. Remember you can also use WLAN to download the update.
  2. To use your PC to update, connect your N97 to the Nokia Software Updater or Nokia Ovi Suite and follow the prompts.

After the update

Many people have found that resetting the N97 after updating helps improve the performance of the new software.

1. To reset your device, tap *#7370# followed by the device security code (not SIM PIN). The default code is 12345.
  2. After the reset, you can sync again or restore. Remember not to restore the settings.
  3. Tap Menu > Applications > SW Update and Ovi Store to see what additional applications are available for your N97 now. For example, once you have updated to software version 20.0.019 or greater, you can download Ovi Maps with free navigation.

Other tweaks

1. Move your ring-tone files to C drive. This can help a busy N97 play a large ring-tone.
  2. Switch your phone off occasionally.
  3. The N97 can multitask, but don’t run too many apps.
  4. Don’t use 3rd party themes – they can really slow the N97 down.
  5. For hints on how to maximize your N97’s battery life and other tips, read the FAQs at http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support/n97/faq.

Please use plain text.
Sage

XB,

With reference to your response:-

""Hi

There are many people who use the N97 and find it works just fine (I still see many colleagues using the N97 for their daily phone/email use despite newer models being available - I use an N97 mini myself which has the same 2.1 software).

This forum was created so you could "ask for assistance from other Nokia users and help others by providing solutions". What would you add - apart from the noted comments about door stops, drawer fillers, paperweights, etc. - to help others get the best out of their phone?""

How very loyal of you, which is understandable. I think the comments (some of which are quite sarcastic, including some from myself) are made to perhaps spurn some form of reaction from Mokia, and to convey how one feels with this let-down of a BETA phone.

We can understand how you defend the company for which you work, but there are many many people who have spent hard earned cash/contracted themselves, to a unit which patently is NOT FIT FOR THE PURPOSE. You mention that MANY of your colleagues use the N97. I guess in the scheme of things, Mokia have sold x million, and the complaints are a minimal part of that sales figure (it would be interesting to know the stats). But when one sees many people complaining, because they have been sold a white elephant, and hears of networks discontinuing sales of the product, and other networks NOT replacing like for like, but offering an alternative, and advertising for the N97 ending, and a statement on YouTube from Mokia stating (in essence) that they had made such a tremendous c*ck up with the N97, which they have now realized.... Well, that must tell you something??

Many loyal (including myself) Mokia fans, who have NEVER had an alternate phone, nor would even CONSIDER having another phone brand UNTIL NOW, where they are "jumping the Nokia ship" for another brand. Unfortunate, but why??  Because Mokia have let them down BIG TIME!!

So there are others (it is claimed) who have NOT been affected by this debacle. That is OTHERS, that is NOT those who HAVE been affected, of which a limited number make their voices known on here. Others are the silent ones who do not know where to voice their opinions.

As a result of Mokias ignorance to their customers, they have upset a lot of people. Let's hope this has an impact on their market share, and presence. Nokia USED to provide quality products, which worked, seemlessly. Now they provide products, for the sake of flooding the market, and NOT stability.

Cheers

PS/ I DID have an N97 from its launch, and it bacame progressively worse in operation. My network kindly swapped it out, for a Mini. What a breathe of fresh air that was, but of late that too has been playing up, requiring resets a couple of times a day, freezing, locking up in applications, losing connections. And NO, I do NOT have loads of 3rd party apps installed. Will version 11 s/w cure it?? Who knows, I'll just need to wait for Vodagroan to sort out the s/w.

PPS/ The comments are not against YOU (XB), but against Mokia who seem to be burying their heads in the sand, but they need to be careful in case something comes up behind them!!

N97MINI from 150310, after the N97 (number3) drove me mad!! Prev handset N82, 6230i, N80, 6600, 6310, 5110, 3210, 6300, and others :-)

kevinx_98 on Skype
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
rkliew

[ Edited ]

Hi Xbungle, nice to c that there's more interaction from u guys at Nokia.

My problem with my N97 V21 is that I am getting the "SECURITY MODULE" and "MEMORY FULL" errors every now and then when I switch on the phone. FYI I switch my phone off everyday.

When the "SECURITY ERROR" occurs, WiFi will not be available in the SETUP menu.

I have tried hard-resetting my c: plus reformatted my mass memory and also used only built in standard themes & apps which did not rectify the problem at all.

Overall I am very happy with the phone, so please solve the above problems and I will be very happy.

Thank you.

N8-00 Silver > P/Code: 059D1G4 > FW: 011.012
N97-RM505 (traded in)
N95-8GB (back-up phone with another Telco)
iPhone 4 (used only for web surfing)
Please use plain text.
Professor
froschy

@ XBungle - looks like you've opened a can of worms. With respect to the N97 and your colleagues there really isn't any new alternative in the Nokia stable as all of the newer phones still share the same problems of too little RAM and slow CPUs. I'm not sure what Nokia's policies are about using phones from other manufacturers but I imagine that it would be not banned but not encouraged either. So if you work for Nokia and already own an N97 it would seem that there is no other choice.

As for work arounds for improving the performance and stability of the N97, I have found the most benefit gained by completely discontinuing use of Internet based home screen widgets. This is a shame really as IMHO it's one of the few things that made this phone innovative (the sliding mechanism is the other).

I don't want to appear negative to your input in these discussion forums as I think that this is one of the few positives that I have seen during the ongoing debacle of the N97.
Nokia N97 (RM-507) v 22
iPhone 4 (Coming Soon) - Lemon N97 - SE - Nokia 8210 - Nokia 7710 - Nokia 5100
Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

Apparently Nokia just "doesn't get it"......

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

I'll still "try" the N8, but the more I hear "our product is functioning adequately" (N97), the more I'm ready to return when it starts stumbling.

My new phone's CPU is over twice as fast as the N97's, it also has almost 4X the RAM. YES it's newer, but it's CPU is over 30% faster and almost twice the RAM of the reported specs on the (unmreleased) N8. NO, numbers aren't everything. If Nokia thought there was a lot riding on the N97, there's WAY more riding on the N8. Maybe they should actually test this one before they spend time counting the $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Better yet, take some of the MILLIONS made from the N97 and buy some modern hardware!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

LESS is MORE

Nokia should make less models and they will have ten times the team to make those few models great 

(Apple does one model and its world leader)   

Holding out hope for new N97 F/W   

only way I could afford N97 was to sign a 18 month contract  and still paid a lot of money   so i'm not interstead in any other Models or Makes I just want the N97 to perform  beter than my N95, be woth the money I paid, live up to the release hype and spec.  

I notice not many companies are creating apps for Nokia so they to must have lost confidence.    Why is their rss feeds etc. in the apps secion on ovi shop ?  (Probably cos nobody is making decent apps)

Bring back the confidence

Please use plain text.
Sage

Xbungle.

Maybe you should pass to your seniors, or someone that CARES. Maybe even the CEO should see a copy.

LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE. THE PEOPLE WHO "buy" NOKIA GOODS.

I rest my case.

N97MINI from 150310, after the N97 (number3) drove me mad!! Prev handset N82, 6230i, N80, 6600, 6310, 5110, 3210, 6300, and others :-)

kevinx_98 on Skype
Please use plain text.
Contributor
skripis

Hello Nokia!

How nice to get some feedback, that was really unexpected, but one could only guess why Nokia decided to break the ice and start interacting. My bets are on the N97s fate as one of the most debated models to come from Nokia is a large part of hte reason.

Anyways, I am in some sort of love/hate realtionship with my N97. I absolutely love the form-factor and QWERTY-keyboard, I daily send e-mail in 3 different languages so a proper keyboard is really a major factor for me. A major letdown is the exclusion of the e-mail client in the e-series - Mail for Exchange S60V5 version is a major letdown compared to the E series client and the newer version available for the S60V3. Actually the store selling the N97 told me it had the same client as the E-series - d'oh!

My lens got scratched within 6 weeks, and the shop spent 3 weeks replacing it. At least it hasn't got scratched again.

But the most negative experience I have from the N97 is its overall reliability. I've had t hang in all sorts of different manners, but a common cause is long talks - talk for 15 minutes and you're sure the see some weird stuff happen. The key-lock has a life of it's own, however that seems to be a mechanical fault, which I'm sure I cannot get the shop to replace under warranty. Also the icons in the menu sometimes shrin to half the size, and only an on/off procedure will reset them.

All in all the N97 is a partly executed great idea - I just hope all the bad feedback hasn't scared Nokia from developing the idea further. Plain touch-phones make absolutely no sense to me.

But hey, it's been pretty quiet about new firmware versions for a while. I hope the next version can iron out the last small irritating bugs.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
jonndoedaniel

does anyone experience problems with the default music player in 21.0.045?sometimes;i haven't figured out what causes this,-the volume keys don.t work in homescreen while playing music(this aplies to the headset AD 54 +hs 45 ,nothing works ,no button).Strange if i enter music application volume keys on the side do work,also on- the- screen volume roker works fine. i have to exit the music player to fix this,then enter again reconnect headset and then it works: the volume keys onn the side and from remote.Any idea what causes this?
Please use plain text.
Sage

XB,

Re v11 s/w (N97Mini) Voda branded 0591336 prod code)

Wonder if there is ANY news of how much closer we are getting to release, please? This is NOT a "count down" but just a status enquiry..

Cheers

((@ Kevinx1 All I can say at the moment is that it's being built. I don't know exactly when building, then testing, then publishing will finish. Maybe another week or so - but please don't start an online countdown timer (as some sites did....)))

kevinx_98 on Skype
Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

XB,

Being as you are the ONLY link to Mokia (who actually listens) can you advise as to what is NOW happening with v11 s/w for the N97MINI product 0591336 (Vodagroan). This morning one finds that the software available NOW ACTUALLY SHOWS v11 (if one inputs product code 0591336). Whoopee Dooo Dahhhh.... (short lived!)

HOWEVER, if one then plugs handset into NSU, it reports "your current s/w is v10. The latest s/w for your device is v10!!!! Yet your bl**dy website SHOWS v11 IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRODUCT CODE 0591336.

What the heck is happening with Mokia???? Has EVRYONE gone barmy?? IS the support gone "right out of the window" whilst they concentrate of brining out more and more devices whithout supporting the current ISSUES which they have created??

Look forward, in eager anticipation, of hearing from you.

Thanks

http://www.nokia.co.uk/appmanager/UnitedKingdomEnglishNOKIA_UK_23/Get_support;JSESSIONID_NCOM=r1LcMD...

and input prod code 0591336, so there is NO misunderstanding....

kevinx_98 on Skype
Please use plain text.
Sage

Oops, couple of typos.... 8-/

What the heck is happening with Mokia???? Has EVERYONE gone barmy?? HAS the support gone "right out of the window" whilst they concentrate on bringing out more and more devices without supporting the current ISSUES which they have created??

kevinx_98 on Skype
Please use plain text.
Advisor
liqourice

[ Edited ]

Ok. I'm confused here.

Saw an ad about free navi so I wanted to update my phone to get it. However, I got into some problems.

Using NSU or ovi it says there is no update avaliable for my phone which currently has V 12.0.026.

Then, when I check this page:

http://www.nokia.se/support-och-programvara/ladda-ner/uppdatering-av-telefonprogramvara/can-i-update

And enter my product code which is 0588301 it says this:

Latest available software for your device: 
Version:  21.0.102

What's up with this? I don't get it and how do I get my phone updated?

Another strange thing is that on nokia.se it states that the latest firmware for N97 is 21.0.045.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Seems like Nokia ought to be sending their staff on to Customer Service courses....

Just called them about v11 s/w for 97Mini. On the website, and upon entering the PRODUCT CODE 0591336, I am advised that AT LAST v11 is available for Vodafone branded handsets. Plug into Nokia Software Updater, where I am informed my device is running v10, and the LATEST s/w is v10!!! (yet the website, after entering product code 0591336 advises v11 IS available.

So, I call Nokia "support". 47minutes later, the call is ended.

Spoke to first operator, who put me through to an N97 "professional"!!. Explained the situation, that website now stating v11 IS now available, but when I plug in I am informed v10 is latest. He advises it all depends on my handset and service provider. yeah, I know that, hence I input product code. Aft6er explaining a few more times, I request to speak to a supervisor (by the way, this call is all to a "foreign" call centre).

I speak to the supervisor.... I am informed that the software is service provider dependant. I explained (no less than three times), until I got to the point of telling the operator that he is not listening/understanding. I explained IN DETAIL, that up until Sunday, v10 was the latest for the 97Mini 0591336, but YESTERDAY v11 was shown as being available (v11 for GENERIC has been available since February, I know), but the website was showing v11 against prod code 0591336. Plug handset in to software updater, and am informed v10 is the latest....

Bottom line, I was instructed to call back tomorrow, to see if the servers are updated by then!!!! What a bl**dy SHAMBLES!. Why the heck would they post that v11 IS available, when it is NOT, unless someone has no checked (their end) that it is actually available on the servers.

Customer service is  R U B B I S H.. If they could be bothered, they would find out WHY v11 is showing as available, yet with NSU it is not. This should be investigated and corrected, by either REMOVING the fact the v11 IS available for download, OR actually having v11 available on their servers, for NSU.

So, 47 mins later, to be informed "wait until tomorrow, and it may be available" Dohhhhh. A bl**dy chimpanzee could have done better!

WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING WITH NOKIA PRODUCTS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE. They are BOTH slowly going "down the tubes". Pity.

kevinx_98 on Skype
Please use plain text.
Employee
xbungle

[ Edited ]

Hello Kevinx1

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It seems that the online version checking tool is "broken" and reporting incorrect data for other products too.

So, v11 is not the latest for you ("no sh*t" I hear you cry). The quickest/easiest way to find out when it really is available is to register with My Nokia and we'll send you an SMS the day after the SW is published.

I apolgize for the continued delay in delivering your SW - it's been built and is undergoing tests - latest estimate is results due tomorrow.

- xbungle.

Please use plain text.
Sage
timmyjo

N97 owners still fading away....... What will the N8 bring for you, Nokia? Did you learn from this debacle? Have you realized you must move on from "rehashing" the N95? We'll see. I'll be one of the very first to get the N8. Off topic? There really is no more N97. It was done with the last firmware update. Just about one year old now. It would be time to move on even if it was successful (for us). If you're new to this, welcome to the world of being an "early adopter".

Please use plain text.