Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 new firmware 30.0.016

eprufer

Well, good luck! I think that you will miss Nokia's phone soon... But, maybe I'm wrong...

Also: you had 14 good Nokia's phones and a poor one... I think that is a good %... You can not judge Nokia by one phone... Well, that's my opinion.

Regards,

Edgar
Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

You are right, I can't judge it by one phone, but everybody knows that Nokia hasn't introduced any groundbreaking new phone for 3 years. In these 3 years Google launched a completely new phone OS and is conquering the market. 3 years ago there was no Android, but today everybody only talks about iPhone and Android as smartphone platforms of the future.

The ship has sailed for Nokia, and this is very very sad

Please use plain text.
eprufer

@marcbyron

> "Nokia hasn't introduced any groundbreaking new phone for 3 years"

Well, nokia hasn't introduced any cell phone with a big processor, or very good Ram or even with graphics accelerator (N8 will be the first). I agree. But, look at n97 design (not the look, the design): I think that Nokia did what many companies tried to do: a phone with a good slide keyboard, but not a huge phone... And N97 mini: very good too. Maybe, better than its brother. I mean, its a great phone. Remember: i'm not talking about software! Hardware!

Also: Nokia introduced n900! In my opinion, the TRUE first linux phone!

And I could also talk about Symbian foundation...

About Android: what Android has or does that Symbian don't? I really don't now... And I didn't see it too... "Oh, Android is a Linux for phones": yes, ok! As a Linux user I say: if you want linux on your phone, buy N900... ;-)

Oh, Android is new, its design is "young" and Symbian is "old"... Well, I'm 26 years old and I don't think that Symbian (on my N97 mini) is "old". And remember: Symbian^3 is about to come! And next year Symbian^4. Did you look the videos previews?!?!?

Well, Android is good? Yes, it is! Symbian too. Wich one is the best? It depends of who judges...

So, why Android's phones are selling too good? BECAUSE IS GOOGLE!!! Think about it... ;-) Again: Android is good! But, mainly is GOOGLE!

Iphone is even worse... Iphone 3g has a 2mb camera, no multi-tasking, no video-call, etc... And sold millions! I don't see Iphone 4g yet... But, it seems to be the first TRUE phone made by Apple...

Well, that's my opinion... I don't want to start a fight... And I don't want to offend you or your purchase. It just my opinion!

Regards,

Edgar

Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

Dear Edgar,

thanks for your response. I agree with you, the design of the N97 is groundbreaking (except for the keylock slider that breaks every 3-4 months and needs to be replaced for $24-$40 each time), but the software is horrible. I am not looking for a phone that only looks good, but also works. There were never any major problems with Nokia before, until the N97 came out. Horrible experience.

I don't know exactly why Android is so successful. Maybe it's because it's always been open source, from the beginning. Maybe because it's a modern OS as opposed to the "old" OS Symbian. But I guess the huge advantage of Android is that it works very nicely using touch screens. Nokia hasn't figured that out yet. And quite frankly, it's too late. They should have figured that out three years ago, when the iPhone came out, or ideally much earlier. It's plain ignorance of a market leader. BIG mistake.

The N900 is nice, but there is no software for it. One of the main reason for the success of the iPhone is the App Store. Nothing comes even close to that. What Nokia is trying with the Ovi Store is a joke. I don't know if there is a future for Maemo devices, as there simply aren't enough developers out there who are interested to develop for that platfrom.

When it comes to mobile marketing, the industry focuses on three platforms: iPhone, Android and RIM. That's it. Only very few large developers are still producing software for Symbian, but this number is also getting smaller and smaller.

I don't know what to think about any "videos" anymore. The N97 looked great on video, but the real thing is a major disappointment. There is a video out on YouTube, that shows the difference between advertising and reality. It's quite funny, but actually it's really sad, because it's damn true. You should check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJpEuMidcSU

Don't get me wrong, I love Nokia. And I might come back to Nokia. But there is currently no phone model that's appealing to me. The N8 looks promising, but it's 4 months away. And I remember when I was desperately waiting for the N97 to come out - the so called new Flagship. If I only knew...

I am going to be more careful next time.

Please use plain text.
Sage
masameland

At this point I don't care about N8, iPhone or any Andronoid phone. I just want to get my N97 work properly. It's kind a waste a money at this point and I do not want to use again 400-600€ to get new phone.

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Please use plain text.
Sage
marcbyron

I am afraid you won't experience a working N97. It's not going to happen. Nokia would have to rewrite the OS completely, put months of R&D in it to  make it work. And I don't think Symbian 3.0 will work on the N97. The hardware won't be capable of handling it.

The N97 is a complete failure

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BiggiN97

"And I don't think Symbian 3.0 will work on the N97. The hardware won't be capable of handling it."

Bulls*it !

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

when can get this latest update for n97

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hamzie11

tomorrow

god i hope this update makes this phone useable 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cloud_strife56

What do you suppose mean with tomorrow. It is true . We are N97's owner get an update. Or it just rumor, i dont hope so. I almost fed up with this da*n device. With all application start up, i hope in next update will be zero apps start up. I read on forum that cooked fw can modified to zero start up apps. Dont say so.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arucard

Really are we getting the firmware update tommorrow?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

How stupid you guys are. The announcer of "tomorrow" has only 3 post and 4 one is this one. How could you beleive him ? 

I think, be content what you got and don't get fooled next time by NOKIA. That atleast I have learned.  They keep us busy in hoping and fighting here and they are enjoying and are on holidays on Our Money.

Regards.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cloud_strife56

Indeed, we have been fooled around, they are dancing on our moan and suffer. And who knows? But i will step forward not to decide any " things " you know. If any bad service. But, why there arent any transparency. If we want to ask about 4 ex : is there any update? Or something else. If nokia want to hold ur customer. Think the best , every voice from one or two customer is valuable. Bear in mind. Back to the point about rumor tomorrow, if yes there is nothing wrong to expect. So does it mean we are fool-bound or spell-bound cause by some fake sample video.
Please use plain text.
Sage
masameland

BTW, I hope they have updated Facebook widget because that old one is SLOW and buggy to use.

Me, Mac and my misengineered N97
Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

yeah i rckn i've talked to nokia and they were like, ok thanks for notifying us....
er.. scuse me arn't you gunna do something..
n97.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Arucard

Still no news yet  :smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
cloud_strife56

Theres nothing to be expected for ? How ever, its like condemnation. I have no word to say anything cause I just resign and pray to the God and might God open their heart to not enjoying on our moan and suffer. This pain cant payback anymore unless ..... ( grumble mode : on ). How embarrasing they are. They never conceive their customer's heart ( sad mode : on ). I know its hard to do try to fix bugs on device. But if u try too reconsider and do research there is nothing impossible. I dont know what are they like intention. But as long as there is nothing clear. I dont know what will happen to this company further. Sorry...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
cloud_strife56

sorry in ny bottom heart...... cheer up ( pretending ).
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
semnantanha

Please use plain text.
Sage
St3ph3n

we not gunna get it for a long time you noe.
n97.
Please use plain text.