Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: N97 new firmware 30.0.016

Counsellor
Stuntman

I don't know about Nokia using Symbian to differentiate themselves from more expensive, high end devices.  The E7 is running on Symbian and apparently, it is going to cost 600 Euros or $800 CDN.  My Desire Z, which I consider to be a high end device, costs only $500 CDN.

I don't see Nokia switching to Android or WP7.  They have so much invested in Symbian and Meego already.  Their partnership with Intel on Meego would seem to indicate they plan to stay the course with Meego for the future high-end phones.  My only concern is that Meego is late in getting into the game.  Symbian^3 has helped them tread water for now, but they have to show something tangible with Meego soon.  I jumped ship because I was tired of dealing with the issues I had with the N97.  I actually wanted to stay with Nokia and get the E7, but its delay in hitting the market and the reported browser issues drove me away.  I feel that the clock is also ticking on other Nokia users that want to stay with Nokia, but may tire of waiting.

If they do adopt an existing phone OS, I would like to see them make Android phones.  I am biased in my opinion because I have recently dumped my N97 for the Desire Z running Android.  All of the things I found out about WP7 have not impressed me.  I think a lot more bad things has to happen to Nokia before it does this on a large scale.

<\
\>tuntman
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
tehranshahr

i know there is a v30 firmware but they hold it since june 2010 for ****** reasons!
I don't care about v30 anymore, my next device will be samsung galaxy s and i'll stay with the android.

even Symbian^3 is poor, nokia will forget Symbian^3 users after meego is released!
Nokia N97 (RM-505) Custom V2.2.0.110 HSNPersia Release.
Please use plain text.
Sage
nokton12

think it's time to close this thread! over and out

Nokia N9 Black
Please use plain text.
Contributor
erik7

After years of using Nokia phones, it's time to say goodbye to Nokia. They've disappointed me so much with the N97 that I decided to buy a new one and that not a Nokia.

No Nokia Smart Phone for me anymore!

Nokia N97
Firmware 22.0.110
Please use plain text.
Sage

Well folks.  Just shipped out my N97 that I sold on eBay.  I wash my hands of the N97 with hopes that Nokia has learned from their mistakes with the release of the N8 and beyond.  It's been real.  And it's been fun.  But it sure as hell hasn't been real fun! Peace out!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
yanqemil

Today is February 3.nothing happened.No new firmware. What is the next date? 10-15-30 ? 2012? 2013?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Delfinash

maybe 2097 .....

Nokia N97 RM-505 with the "latest" [or the last] v22
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Stuntman

@gamo62:  How dare you bestow the misery you went through with the N97 onto another person.  That's just mean.  :smileymad:

<\
\>tuntman
Please use plain text.
Contributor
vasiboss

I received a SMS from Nokia :

"" Info : Iti doresti un nou telefon? Iti sugeram Nokia N8. Primul telefon cu camera Carl Zeiss de 12 MP ! Afla mai multe http://ct.nokia.com/?440990594  ""

Translation:

Info: You want a new phone? We suggest Nokia N8. The first camera phone with Carl Zeiss 12 MP! Learn more http://ct.nokia.com/?440990594

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
yanqemil

..si eu am primit....am N97 mini...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
nofxdude

Yeh I get sms messages on a regular basis from Nokia saying things like: "Keep your phone software up to date. Check Nokia software updater regularly and download the latest updates."

How they have the cheek to tell an N97 user to check for software updates regularly I will never know.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GilbertoMertins

I have a N97 mini; well, as a smartphone I can buy software for it, making it more powerful; mine, for example, has a software for not receiving spam … even from Nokia.
By the way, vasiboss, just as curiosity, what is your language? It’s not German or Latin derived.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
yanqemil

[ Edited ]

Romanian language....derived directly from the Latin.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GilbertoMertins

[ Edited ]

Today Nokia announced an update for … Symbian^3; as I’ve read, it’s all disappointment, only very small things. I do think Nokia will update N97 and N8 just after the latest version of Nokia Maps is ready; it is in late beta now.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: This post has been edited. Please be informed that we do not allow posts that disrespects Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
GilbertoMertins

Just for other readers information, my so-called disrespect was very civilized; I did not say any cussword or offensive expression; I had just cited an opinion of a very specialized site.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sdn97

Message to the moderators: If you want to talk about disrespect, then I suggest you read this whole thread again and think about the complete lack of support shown to all of us who own a Nokia N97.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Damn right sdn97,

In a few months time my phone contract will have run out and it will be time for change. Unless something magical happens between now and then my next phone purchase will not be a nokia.

I think Nokia should count the members who have posted in this and other threads complaining about the n97, times that figure by 100 (as thats how many people they have told about the failings of their phone over the last year/s) and that will be how many customers they willl loose unless they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Nurulbahir

Nokia,

Listen to your customers. Make something or give me my money back ( $1,000 in Turkey). This is not a phone. Make it as you promised, make it as you advertised.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
JH2O

I'm getting a bit fed up that there is still no update available for my N97 mini. I'm using my N97 mini now for 11 months, but until recently it was not even possible to view photo's within a reasonable amount of time. Fortunately the photo application has been updated recently, but what about the slow menu? Looking up an application in the menu (and I downloaded a lot of applications) is really a pain. And I'm not even using the browser and email application because there are (fortunately) much better applications available (Opera and Profimail).

What I hate most is that I don't trust Nokia anymore. When a phone has such obvious flaws you would expect a swift fix, but nothing. It is over a half year ago since the last update. And I would like to buy a N8 but the lack of commitment from Nokia to deliver the best product possible is holding me back. Maybe Qt will save the show (Bubles on S3 looks great), but as a neglected customer I'm not buying Nokia's promises anymore.

By the way, I love OVI Maps.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
takeshi

I know right?  After Nokia treating N97 owner like this, I don't think I am going to get further smart phone from Nokia.  What good a smart phone is if after spending USD$ 400 and the phone won't be support less then a year.  The phone is not open sourced and we can't trouble shoot it like PC.  N900 is nice, but I worry if I get it, it wont be supported in 6 monthes....

Please use plain text.