Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New Nokia N8 Cant update Important Software Up...

Counsellor
zoran1981

Re: New Nokia N8 Cant update Important Software Update "Update Failed"

I've just updated mine with applications update, nokia theme and video update via Ovi suite..maybe something was wrong with the nokia servers

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Chudz

Yep there was but once its fails once it will fail forever unless you reset to factory settings.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
shadowfang

im so confuse right now is *#7370# is a hard or soft reset for C7?? i always tried that & now im missing the app update 1.01 i think?? BTW i update all now successfully on OVI SUITE, & ya i think the problem is in there & still there's a problem it still failed on the history of the update(on the phone ofcourse)

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Mmmmh I'm in shock too...

I got a N8 too (yesterday)

I was able to update a few themes via software update but the important update, the dab radio and videos are not able to update...

Its very strange. On my N97 mini the software updater shows an optional update named photos and this one isnt able to install it... its an error too...

I'm curious how Nokia will fix this issue...

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I managed to get it working by putting a spare SIM I had. You guys can also retry updating without a SIM, or SIM from a different operator.

I have posted more details on my blog at:

http://www.orison.biz/blogs/chall3ng3r/?p=2871

Best regards,

// chall3ng3r //

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Mmmmh, i tried your workaround with another sim but it doesnt work for me. I also tried the offline mode, without sim inside the phone...

nothing works...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shadowfang

hey guys just use the ovi suite just like zoran said bcoz i updated mine successfully now on there the problem is, before I updated it, I reset again my device & now im missing the app update 1.01 but i updated all so its good i think ^_^

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hmm, strange. For me it certainly looked like the issue with the SIM.

It's unfortunate that there's no official reply from Nokia until now on this issue, and it's been already many days users are complaining.

Maybe their update servers are too busy. You can wait a bit, and retry again after few hours or tomorrow.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

mmmh strange. i tried to update via ovi suite and i get a few games in the list , the radio update and the video update.now it worked to install 2 of the 3 updates.

the software update 1.0... isnt available through ovi suite...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
specialp

Just got my phone back from repair where they reflashed the phone so it will probably die again and cause me to be without my phone for weeks again.  However I am having the same problem, no reset will allow me to update successfully.  Nokia probably had bad copies of this on their server for a few days hence the sudden flood of complaints.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
specialp

I have also given up on contacting nokia support, they give me someone that does not know anything about the phone, and does not understand english well all the time.  I will just get some canned response telling me to reset the phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jagfirerwalker

Tried all the possible solution given in the Web and nothing. It is quite surprising that certain things, which seem to be simple, cause such a pain.

Come on Nokia, I know you can do it. You really have to show the iPhone and Android users out there that you're not a 3rd class company, without any real support.
Please use plain text.
Unick

Re: New Nokia N8 Can't update Important Software Update "Update Failed"

Today I deleted folder E:\Private\20019119\. Aftar that I run update and it finished successful. Maybe current version on Nokia server is correct.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

And how you made the private folder visible?

When i connect my N8 to pc, i cant see the private folder on the e: drive...

(system and hidden files are set on visible in the explorer)

the file manager on the n8 doesnt show the private folder too

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
coklat141

To make the private folder visible,try this..

Settings > Connectivity > USB > Choose "Mass storage"

Then, connect the USB to your PC. 

Hope it works! =)

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I did as suggested below (connected the phone via USB Cable -> Mass Storage mode.  I then went to file explorer and navigated to E:\private and deleted the folder 20019119

Afterwards I disconnected the phone from the USB cable - went back to MainMenu->Applications->SWUpdate and selected App Update 1.0.

Whereas before I just got repeated "Installation failed" messages - this time there was a fresh download of the update.  Aftewards it took nearly 7 minutes but the update did complete successfully.

In future it would be good if when an applicaiton update failed it would automatically delete the old update archive - redownload - and try again.... or at least ask me if that's what I wanted to do.

Please use plain text.
Unick

I connected N8 to PC and used Far Manager for deleting (http://www.farmanager.com/index.php?l=en). Far shows hidden folder (Use Ctrl+F2 for select drive).

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks guys to describe it so well... now it works (also on my n97 mini - i moved all subfolders of private folder to finish a broken update named photos)

thx so much

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Big thanks for posting a successful solution. I updated it on my blog post as well.

// chall3ng3r //
Please use plain text.
Sage

aaccioly wrote:

I'm not going to blame developers with tight schedules (hey, I'm a developer myself) but I'm really disappointed with Nokia QA people... How did a Issue that affects so many people people ever reached production? My advice to involved managers and stakeholders is "nice and slow".  

You are going to blame QA people? Who exactly are they? Do you mean the Test Engineers or Test Analysts?

Or is it possible that it didn't matter what the "QA people" said - the "management people" and "marketing people" would have sent the software out anyway?

And incidentally, "QA people" don't exist because QA is a process of ensure quality - just as relevent to developers as it is to Test Engineers, Management and just about anyone else you care to mention in the develpment lifecycle.

Please use plain text.