Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: No Symbian Anna upgrade for Nokia USA Users?

Advisor
mmattar

Waiting for the update and checking Software Update and Device Updates every day is painful. It sucks not knowing when your software is coming. You know if they had just announced "Anna is out, however we are releasing it in batches so here are the countries coming out this week, next week, etc." I wouldn't be complaining at all because at least then they told us we're going to be getting the update on a certain day and I can check that day and get it.

However there is one thing: When you complain a lot on blogs and then email nokia support with a link to the topic, they take it seriously. My phone has a texting problem and when I did that I got an email the next day that wasn't copied and pasted from a template! Man was I happy to be talking to a real person from Nokia finally. They then had a technitian call me in the next 2 days and we couldn't fix it but at least they tried, a little.

So tell them about this topic and hopefully we'll get somewhere.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
VanHoJa

Ya know, it's getting harder and harder to be an advocate for Nokia here in the States.  I had an n900, loved it to pieces, but sold when I didn't have the time to play around with it (Maemo was great, but it was definitely a hacker's device).  Bought the N8 because of the awesome camera, was comfortable with Symbian becasue of ealier Nokia phones that I owned... figured that S^3 was good, and decided to wait on the Anna update to bring it up to par with my wife's Android handset.

Anna's announced as available last week... I got excited, and then found out the US was on the wait list.  Well, I waited over 3 months already (from the original Anna announcement), so no biggie.  I can wait a little more.

Nokia's newly redesigned US website now says "Current software version is 22.014".  Finally!!  Fired up SW update on the N8... no update.  Okay, maybe it's not available via FOTA yet... Updated Ovi Suite on the PC to 3.1, connected, backed-up... hit "Check for Updates"...nothing.  I'm up to date.  On PR1.2.   :smileymad:

So... Nokia can announce Belle, even though Anna is still not available universally.  I'm still plodding along on PR1.2, with the slow mail client, deficient web browser, and marginal battery life.

Nokia, you're almost as bad as HP now.  WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO RELEASE THE UPDATE?  If not until next week, GET RID OF THE INCORRECT "SUPPORT" PAGE SHOWING IT'S AVAILABLE!

Please use plain text.
rattar69

It is no wonder that Nokia is loosing out to Android, iOS.... They give the impression that the US market is not worth their time. This I find unacceptalbe as there is a market here, if only they would give as much attention to their products in the US as they do in other markets. This is not limited to the release of Anna. Check out the accessories available to the UK market compared to the penance of items offered on the US site.

Nokia is more than happy to take our money for their devices, but in return the US market is ignored and Nokia could care less about the loyal customers that believe in their products. Nokia needs to wake up or it will find it's out in the cold, when it comes to the North American market.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
threethinker

@VanHoJa, they updated their support page back to 014.002
Please use plain text.

It seems nobody really knows what is going on with with Anna and  this is just another example of Nokia's poor communication within its own company and with customers, which really isnt anything new. I have always been a die hard fan of Nokia devices. I currently own an N8 and I've always been proud of owning a Nokia handset and have introduced friends and family to Nokia's products. I've also owned the N95,N96,a couple of E72's, all which didn't give me any major problems until I purchased the N97 which gave me a Tonnn of issues the phone was a huge let down ranging from simple issues with connectivity, email, general performance and a return of a second N97 which literally  took MONTHS of contacting Nokia for them to sort out. I'd love to share my horror story with you but I realize this isn't the thread for it. I cannot stand how poorly this company communicates with its customers and how poorly trained their customer support reps are. Every time I have to contact Nokia support I think twice before calling or sending them an email knowing that I'll spend my time waiting to speak to someone who most likely will not help with the issue or just get a generic email response that I'm sure many of you have gotten before. It's always a general response or solutions which will not address the issue, I've had reps literally promise me to resolve an issue only to find that they don't keep their word. It seems to me Nokia has very little respect and doesn't care much for their customers. MY POINT is that I can deal with the wait for an update like many of us are waiting for Anna, I can deal with waiting for a refund, I can deal with minor issues with software bugs etc. as long as Nokia can provide straight forward answers, real solutions and show that they truly care for their customers and don't treat us like we're stupid. I know many of Nokia's past and current customers feel that way. However this issue just seems to be getting worse and I don't think Nokia realizes that their customers are getting fed up. I have to say that while I'm one of those people trying not to get sucked into the Android/iOS vortex and have always liked Nokia devices, I seriously doubt I'll continue to be a Nokia customer as my opinion for the brand has seriously changed.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
carolco

Symbian Anna was originally promised to be released by the end of august. Today is 31st, the last day of August. Let's hope it will be released today otherwise Nokia will break its own promise.
Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

@carolco:  I bet it won't be. Rafe over at allaboutsymbian said in their podcast yesterday, USA and Canada customers can expect the update in the next TWO to THREE weeks. That makes it towards the end of September. Great.

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
PHM1

[ Edited ]

Right on, dfalcon5 ... Your screed will undoubtedly resonate with a lot of frustrated Nokia owners.

Let's see Anna today for US/Canada (it may resolve a lingering issue I have with the email client, for one thing).

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Edited: User's social networking account has been removed.

Please be advised that personal/contact information such as third party websites that contain your personal information are not allowed to be posted in this forum for your security and privacy reasons.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Clawz2k

While the US/Canada market wait for 22.14 for the N8... Netherlands already have 24.1 released... And it looks like it was just released today...

**bleep**...

Guess I'll just reflash my phone with that firmware instead of waiting FOREVER to get the US/Canada firmware.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jay1836

I will wait unfil tomorrow. If it is not released tomorrow, i will get firmware from internet. Even Belle is available on net.
Please use plain text.
Sage
cecampbell

the only difference between 22.14 and 24.1 is language support.

Please use plain text.
Sage

That's what I did.  I installed the euro_gy_uk-ireland variant.  Works great.  Except for the language differences.  InitialSe, FinaliSe.  Apparently Europeans HATE the letter Z!  And ColoUr.  But, until the US variants are relased, ican live with it.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sandman0426

At this point I am just about done with Nokia, as should every other person in the US or Canada that is being neglected.  I encourage that we all just jump to Sony Ericsson, a company that makes solid phones and is serious about establishing themselves in the US.  As for as our current Symbian 3 phones, it appears it will take a class action suit to get Nokia to provide the update in the US and Canada.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]

Hi gamo62, can you tell us how you flashed with the netherlands variant. I have tried searching for instructions but have not found any...thanks.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
grga_pitic

@vinays84

>@ grga_pitic,
That's not True. We're (USA) getting the update next week on the 1st of September 2011, Thursday. And the update will be available to all the users, no matter where you buy it from. 

Today's Sep 1 2011.

No update so far.

regards,

grga

Please use plain text.
Sage

Google is your friend.  As is facebook.  Look under N8 Fan Club.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Class action? Ask the users of the N97 how that worked out? There are other options. I'm on Anna now, evewn though it isn't the US version. And come Sept/Oct, I'll be on the iPhone 5.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
grga_pitic

Just called nokiaUSA.

Q: Symbian Anna was supposed to be released by End of Aug. Today is Sep 1st and I still don't see the update.

When are you planning to release Symbian Anna for US?

NokiaUSA: Symbian Anna was already released 2 weeks ago but due to power failure on some of our servers some users wouldn't not be able to get  the update. We are working on fixing the issue and your patience is greatly appreaciated bla bla bla

No comment

regards

grga

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sandman0426

Why take the risk of flashing your phone and voiding your warranty when it is an update that you are entitled to and have been promised. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
thaddyusmaximus

Sounds plausable. Maybe hurricane Irene had to do something with the delay? If I don't get the update before the iPhone 5 is released, up on eBay this phone goes.

Please use plain text.