Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: No Symbian Anna upgrade for Nokia USA Users?

Sage
andy232

@skyee

Any news this week on the USA, Canada or Australia Symbian Anna updates? 

I feel the temperature in this forum is rising. People are becoming more impatient as the days go by.

Any news would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

They won't ever see it. Cris Webber head of Nokia North America said they no loner support symbian in North America.....NO MORE SYMBIAN SOFTWARE UPDATES FOR NORTH AMERICA.

But they will sell you a windows phone. Good thing I found this out before my window to retun it to amazon closed, I received a full refund for my silver E7-00. Nice phone but no support.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

YOU MIGHT AS WELL FORGET ABOUT ANYMORE SOFTWARE UPDATES IN NORTH AMERICA....FOR SYMBIAN DEVICES.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
New_N8_user

Is it true that there won't be any more symbian updates for USA users?  That it means that I won't get any further symbian updates for my Nokia N8?   Even when I'm not in the USA (I'm in Costa Rica), I bought it from Amazon, so I need to get updates when the USA users get them.   The USA and other Nokia users like me deserve to have symbian updates as any other European or Latin America users, since we bought a Nokia phone as well. 

In my case, I'm waiting for my Nokia N8, Symbian Anna update, so I don't think fair that because the US Nokia head manager is saying that they won't provide more updates, we (current users) won't get any more updates as the other world wide nokia users.   I need a prompt response on this.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

According to Nokia USA website FAQ'a, Anna will indeed be avilable in the USA.  They even have a link to enter your e-mail address for notification.  Check it out at:

http://www.nokiausa.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136219_en_US

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

Don't listen to these people who pop up here and keep telling you the North American market will get the Anna update. Just sit and wait, come Christmas maybe you will finaly relaize NO MORE SYMBIAN UPDATES FOR NORTH AMERICA. 

http://allthingsd.com/20110809/exclusive-nokia-to-exit-symbian-low-end-phone-businesses-in-north-ame...    

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

oscar11 wrote:

Don't listen to these people who pop up here and keep telling you the North American market will get the Anna update. Just sit and wait, come Christmas maybe you will finaly relaize NO MORE SYMBIAN UPDATES FOR NORTH AMERICA. 

http://allthingsd.com/20110809/exclusive-nokia-to-exit-symbian-low-end-phone-businesses-in-north-ame...    

That is an old article and there is nothing therein that specifically states or even suggests "NO MORE SYMBIAN UPDATES FOR NORTH AMERICA".   Simply because Nokia stops selling Symbian in the US does not necessarily mean that they will no longer support existing devices. 

Some posters have suggested that Nokia will purposely stop Symbian updates in the US in an attempt to switch all existing Symbian customers to Windows Phone.  But, considering the relatively small size of their US customer base, it would make no sense to alienate the customers by this tactic. 

Nokia needs a lot more than it's tiny existing US Symbian customer base to purchase Windows Phones.  Unless they get at least 5 ~ 10% of the US market, they might as well pull out of North America entirely.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
njcrash

There's alot of speculation on whether or not we'll get the update. I don't know that we will, or won't. But honestly, there has not been a good explanation yet why it's taking so long. Reasons have been waiting for Carrier approval, server power outage, and lengthy recertification process.

So, what do we really know? Well, we really know that the power outage excuse was **bleep**. We also know that the recertification process excuse is **bleep**. We also know that the pink N8 with Anna was sold in the US and that there are people in the US with foreign variants of the N8 that are currently and successfully using Anna on their phones, in the US! So, we know from the evidence that Anna already works on / with the US carriers in both a NAM variant phone (pink N8 sold in the US) and on foreign market phones in the US.

So, I'll say it one more time, the ONLY reason that makes sense is that Nokia is waiting on Carrier Approval. Not that Nokia should need carrier approval, but that they are allowing AT&T to have their go at it so that Nokia can win favor with AT&T and have their smart phones carried in AT&T stores. This process can take a while and is the reason all phones carried by AT&T are always slow in getting their updates.

So, I suspect that we in the US will eventually get the anna update, but I also suspect that AT&T will have gotten what they want added to the update. ANd even though the phones were bought unlocked, I'm guessing that AT&T will at least in some part be able to control some things on the phone that they shouldn't be able to. Anyone on here is welcome to say that I don't know what I'm talking about, but when you see someone disagree with me, ask how many of the reasons for the delayed anna update that you've heard really make sense. Oh, and one more excuse that you can take off the list is the one about them having to release it slowly due to people overwhelming the update servers. They didn't release an update to anyone last week, and so far no one this week, and the rest of the world has had it for 2+ weeks now, so it should be clear thats not the reason.

So, IMHO, Nokia SUCKS! They have great hardware, but they don't give a rats a** about their loyal customers in the USA. And I don't care how great of a phone they make, what matters just as much is how they treat their loyal customers. And ACTIONS speak louder than words, and if it isn't clear to you yet, you're not paying attention. My N8 will the last Nokia phone I ever buy. Goodbye and good ridance Nokia!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

I hope all my North American Nokia owners remember how this compnay treats it American customers when they try and sell you the Windows Phone 7 device. I will never again support this company with my dollars. Let the Europeans try and keep this dog afloat.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

oscar11 wrote:

Personally Oscarr11, I think you are the one that we shouldnt believe. Go back and read skyees posts you will find all of them saying that it hasnt been released in the USA YET and their is even one stating that it will definitely be released in the USA. And all of this comes from nokia employees on Nokia websites.

Not once in the article did it say there was to be no more symbian updates. Only that for their low end phones will all be shifted to windows phone platform. You may not realise but Nokia is also in the middle of a major restructure within its self and this is outside of the move to windows phone platforms. there have been shifts in the workforce within Nokia, where certain groups of employees have been set the task of further symbian development, whilst other are to concentrate on the windows phone side of things.

For those who are interested in some of the new features that we can expect from Symbian Belle, check out the following link

http://press.nokia.com/2011/09/08/nokia-and-microsoft-add-latest-business-mobility-capabilities-to-s...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

Nokia employees got nothing to do with symbian anymore...geesh some of you are down right confused. Accenture took over and will wind it down...for crying out loud people SYMBIAN is DEAD.....well it's dying a slow death.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nokia-and-Accenture-Finalize-Symbian-Deal-207421.shtml   

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

Let me just say if you like symbian 3 and that will work for you then by all means buy a nokia devise. However just realize the North American market will not get software updates. Lets all come back here on halloween and see if anything has happened.....Mark my words nothing will.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Sandman0426

Forget waiting on nokia to provide the US update, I have a feeling when you recieved it will be warped and altered due to US carrier demands, you probably won't want it.  I say move on to a different variant.  

Watch and enjoy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1LsLN_1L-Y

Please use plain text.
Advisor
thaddyusmaximus

Official note at the FAQ's on Nokia's website that Anna will be released to North America. Just no solid date on when. You can even enter your email to get notified when it's available.

http://www.nokiausa.com/us-en/support/faq/?action=singleFAQ&caseid=FA136219_en_US

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

oscar11 wrote:

Nokia employees got nothing to do with symbian anymore...geesh some of you are down right confused. Accenture took over and will wind it down...for crying out loud people SYMBIAN is DEAD.....well it's dying a slow death.

Geesh mate you like to mis-read things. yes accenture has taken over the development of symbian. Also approx 2300 employees from nokia have moved to accenture, in fact the deal was finally closed today. But there is nothing that advises that accenture will close it or wind it down, in fact when you read the press release from accenture they will enhance the platform and make it more available to other  areas and sectors. They have also stated that they will be able to increase speed of delivery for changes and updates to all sectors.

http://press.nokia.com/2011/09/30/nokia-completes-the-transaction-to-outsource-its-symbian-software-...

http://newsroom.accenture.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=4853

There is nothing here to advise the winding down or closing of symbian as a platform, If fact they are contracted to Nokia to continue to develop and support symbian, along with many other areas of Nokia. And whilst I am at it for any one that might be interested, Some of you may have heard of the court cases involving Nokia and apple. Apple have now agreed to pay up for the infringements and pay royalties for future use of nokia patents. More money for Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
oscar11

look we can go back and forth about this and that. The bottome line is....were is the anna update?You think it's coming, I say it's not. I guess will have to WAIT and see who prevails.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/09/nokia-to-retire-symbian-in-north-america-going-all-in-on-window/   

Please use plain text.
Nicolae

It is clear, no Anna update. However, can somebody make a nice video (idiot proof) on how to update to the leaked Belle version?

I want to use my N8 to it's full potential and not be hindered by the Corporate politics of Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
andy232

If you don't want to do the leaked version on your own, you can get it done for $35 at Jack's Place in New York City, and they are a Nokia Care Center, so it'll be official. Although why they can do it when it's not been released here yet is beyond me, but they know what they're doing. I'm going to wait another week, then I'm taking my E7 to them with $35. Tired of waiting now.

Nokias: 232, 3210, 3330, 6230, 6101, 6021, 6126, E75, E73, N900, N8, E6, E7, N9. There's a Samsung in there somewhere too, but...we don't talk about that.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
ladygaga684

really...i live two blocks from the - I have to admist though i am really impatient with Nokia and they're software updates. I swear if we dont get an update this week im going to update to Symbian Anna from them..
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

andy232 wrote:

If you don't want to do the leaked version on your own, you can get it done for $35 at Jack's Place in New York City, and they are a Nokia Care Center, so it'll be official.

Andy,

Do you know how I can find out of there is an "official" Nokia Care Point in the Los Angeles, California area?  When I check on the Nokia USA website, after entering my serial (IMEI) number, it only gives me the option to ship it to them for repair.  Don't know where "they" are located bacause I didn't want to have to complete the entire form and actually set up a return authorixation.

Please use plain text.