How about some letters on the dialpad? That's really annoying, considering a similar pad can be used when texting which has the letters and numbers.
The 5800 is the first touch screen phone that I have seen that does not have letters on the virtual dialing keypad.
Every phone in existence as far as I know has the lettters for dialing numbers like 1-800-collect etc.
1. Predictive text when using the QWERTY keyboards.
2. Include AAC encoded files in the music library. Right now, I can play them by browsing through the file manager, bit they don't get added to the library.
3. Faster screen rotation
4. When using the phone in landscape mode, the input buttons are comically large, and the layout of the screen is very inefficient at making use of the available screen space. For example, it reserves about a fourth of the screen for 5 keys on the right, and another fifth for a menu bar on the top stating the app name, time etc. A A large part of the top bar is always empty-a complete waste of screen space; most apps don't use the 5 keys reserving a quarter of my screen. In fact, most just use two keys, the top and the bottom one. The three keys which are just reserved waste a huge amount of screen space. The layout is complete bonkeres, and I actually prefer Opera mini's layout to the default nokia one.
5. A resume feature in the Music Player, and a faster way of arriving at the "Now playing" screen. Perhaps it could be made the default screen that pops up when you start the music player?
6. Changing tracks using the hardware volume keys. Agree with the original posterress for volume change, hold for track change. Hugely addictive on my previous phones.
7. Identifying recorded music (similar to track-id)
8. Possible support for gestures? Like a downward stroke on the home screen could be linked to an action, say, opening your inbox?
Oh ya forgot some more of them..
1. H.264 Support if the processor is good enough for it..
2. The volume controls coulld be a bit finer. The increments right now are too high.
3. Camera quality is pathetic for one with Carl Zeiss Optics..
4. Ability to set default input methods for portrait/landscape mode. For example, if I select an input screen while in portrait mode, it makes no sense for it to bring up a landscape fullscreen qwerty just because thats the one I last used. If I'm entering in portrait, just give me a keypad or mini-qwerty, or better still, the ability to set what I want. ppl who want fullqwerty can set it to be so and ppl who want different default inputs for landscape and portrait can set it to be so.
5. Ability to combine contacts/applications on the home screen shortcuts bar.
6. Copy/Paste everywhere-including Web Browser and Apps. In addition, these features should be implemented in a more efficient manner. Perhaps a gesture. Also, the menu for these copy/paste, insert symbols etc which comes up from the input methods is very very slow when the input method is being used for an extended period.
7. Control over Alarm volume
8. Kinetic scrolling. --->>Needs to be implemented asap!
I would also like to see the screen rotate in landscape either way, not just one way like it is now.
I understand why nokia would like us to use the phone in just 2 positions but please leave us some choice in the matter. I am sure the controls can be put to the other side of the screen when phone landscaped the other way around.
The iPhone photo viewer can rotate the photo in all 4 possible positions of the phone, the 5800 only supports 2.
I have to admit that sometimes I don't know which way I am actually holding the phone as I pull it out of my pocket and when trying to tilt it sideways I end up the wrong way up. I would like the phone to be more forgiving and to allow me to use it like that.
Thank you !
No doubt the Nokia 5800XM has the potential to be a greath phone, but then some improvements really have to be done to the software. Many things can be, as far as I can think, quite easy changes that wouldn’t take to much effort from Nokia, so I really hope some admins are reading this. A comprehensive update would really speak even more for this phone. Thus I am here trying to add some stuff that’s been written here and adding some of my own suggestions. I’m not including suggestions like “make the camera better” or “faster menus”, only concrete changes that can be easily adressed.
1. This is supposed to be a music phone. Still, several changes need to be done to the music player. Right now it takes to many clicks to start listening to music. First of all there need to be some kind of resume function, preferrably by making “playing now” the start screen. Also, when pressing play on the handsfree, the music should start where it ended the last time paus or stop was pressed. Regarding the “playing now” screen, there should be a shortcut meaning a click on the image of the album takes the user to the songlist of the album in question. Likewise with the artist that is placed under the album image; a click on that should take the user to a list of all the songs by that artist that exists on the phone. Very simple changes that really are needed, as it now take an inummerable amount of clicks to perform the same actions. Some more changes needed are smaller changes in the volume for each click on the volume keys, right nog I can choose between a little too low and a bit too loud. There should be a way to play folders, that way people who don’t like to work with playlists simply can put their music in a folder and play it from there. When scrolling through all the music, the names of the artists should be shown in addition to the song titles. There has also been suggestions that the volume keys should work as next/previous track when held down, as they do on several other phones.
2. The main problem with the phone is that it takes to many clicks to get to different applications. This can be solved to great extent by improving the shortcuts, from the home screen in particular. The user should be given more freedom to add more shortcuts to more applications and mix shortcuts to applications and contacts. I myself don’t like the idea of a cluttered home screen, I’d prefer the clean look. Still I want the shortcuts in question, which could be accomplished if gestures was introduced on the phone. It’s quite simpel really, it’s like the joystick on many other phones that gives you one shortcut for every direction you press the joystick. Instead, by pressing and moving your finger to the left or right (like when browsing through images) or up or down you get different shortcuts. Thus you get shortcuts and a clean home screen at the same time. When it comes to shortcuts, I would like an application that listed the ten contacts that I recently been most interacting with and a shortcut next to each person listed to both a regular phonecall and an sms. After all, making calls and sending sms are what people do most of the time, and most of the time to a limited group of people, like girlfriend, family and some close friends. An application like that would really simplify the way the phone works in daily usage, a swipe to the right and then a click on the phone symbol next to “mom” and voila you are done. If this can’t be implemented for some mysterious reason, at least give the opportunity to have a shortcut directly into the inbox, which is now not existing.
3. Multiple selecting of images, textmessages, contacts, songs etcetera needs to be adressed. Often you can only select all, none or read messages or the like, there should be a way of choosing “several”, bringing you into a “marking mode” that marks every contact/image etc. that you press until you are satisfied and press a “finished” key of some kind. For instance, you can not select several songs and add them to a playlist, you have to add one file after another, tedious to say the least. Also, include the ability to cut/copy/paste in each of these instances. These problems could in part be adressed by a more comprehensive use of press and hold menus, that are used a bit in for instance the contact list.
4. Include the option to set default input methods for portrait and landscape mode of the camera. That way I can write most of my messages in portrait mode with the alphanumeric keypad, which for me is the fastest way to write, and when I want to write a word that the T9 wont recognize I can simply turn the phone to landscape and write the word on the full qwerty-keyboard. That way the trouble with the lexicon not knowing all of the words I want to use is fixed.
5. When you make a call or send an sms, you more often than not only make that one call or send that one sms. Thus it is a waste of both batteries and our patience that the adress book and call log remains open after the call is made or the sms is sent. Preferrably, they would close automatically.
6. Make a flashlight application, so you can turn on the LED-lights with one click and not as it is right now that you have to start the camera first.
7. I’ll stop here. There are more things that could be done, as previous posters have mentioned, but these I feel are most urgent. I also for instance think it’s a bit weak that only one theme is included in the phone, there should be at least three. Again, I hope at least some of these suggestions are beeing adressed and that I and the other guys here are not totally wasting our time.
Cheers and thanks in advance! /Stefan
17-04-2009 6:02 - edited 17-04-2009 6:06
I've recently been gifted a Nokia 5800. After reading the posts here I checked my Software version and its v 11.0.008 and version date is 09-12-2008. The latest software is v 20.0.012, so my question is how do I upgrade?
I doing the 'Check for updates' from the phone but I got a message saying 'no updates available'.
Looking forward to the replied.
PS: I am from Bombay, India
I seriously hope some one from Nokia's Development Team read's this post.
Minor bug but very annoying, when listening to the headphones and the phone is on silent, message comes in and the messge tone goes off full volume, not good when you are at work and the tone is going off even though the phone is on silent.
Album Art, Can we not have a stretch setting so that the album art is automatically stretched to the full size avaliable, at present some album coveers appear small and some large, I dont want to have to go through my whole mps collection and reset the album art to the correct resolution, b.t.w does anyone know the best size art to use for maximum size on 5800xp.
The sound of the headphones is a joke... I recently listened on a plane and could hardly hear the music (it plays louder via the speakers).
As for the album art... I didn't realize it yet, but mine is 255x255 and that looks fine. You do have the same issue BTW on the home screen when you receive a call that has a photo linked to it, it is neither stretched which is annoying.
Recommend buying a better aftermarket headphone set. Agree the packaged set has poor fidelity and too much attenuation.
I wish for a new Flash Lite and RealPlayer (or some other web invoked media player) which will fully open more web sites. Why have WiFi if the phone is unable to see the internet?
1. Why not. The Image viewer is just too plain for the style of the phone and definately needs Imporvement
12-14: Yes We should have official themes and apps and that's where the viruses come from "mccbleue" so if you are downloading third party apps you'd better have antiviruses.
15: it doesn't need to be Expensive to have Widgets in a phone, having widgets makes it easier, have you ever wondered that there is either contact bar or shortcuts we should have choices, thats called a User Friendly Interface.
The drastic improvements that I think are necessary, are:
1. Improve the lagging prob
2. Improvement in the Image Viewier
3. Either have an Eraser option or something else while writing the messaging in the "Handwriting Mode" or is it just me that I can't find that stupid thing.
4.Having Widgets options
5. If possible try improve the sensitivy of the interface a bit more.
6. That's all folks, That's all I can think of now !!
Thing i hate is wallpapers, theyre covered up but my contacts and network.
Its a xpress music but imo the n95/n96 have been more expressmusic like for the bare fact u have play/stop and skip as buttons on the phone, therefore the music player could be on the home screen.
Nokia should create there own whiteboard app.
More home screen widget options (i guess when the n97s out maybe the facebook widget will become available.
Rotate all ways
ability to have more contacts on the home screen
snake touch game
set internet as default browser full screen