Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescree...

Advisor

Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescreen. When? We are Desperate!

Why nokia not update the 5800? We are waiting for the Kinetic Scrolling, and a new Homescreen like 5530, why is not update yet??

The 5800 is the first mobile s60v5 touch, and would be have kinetic scrolling and more...

Please nokia.. Update the Firmware. The V31 is a minor FW, is nothing.. :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad:

We want Kinetic Scrolling and more benefits!!!

Any dates? News??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescreen. When? We are Desperate!

Just because you want something doesn't mean you'll get it, so don't just assume that you will and ask when.

Nokia would be well within their rights to suggest that you get a 5530 if you want its home screen or that you get an N97 if you want kinetic scrolling. There would be no point in having different phone models if they all have the same features.

You'll just have to wait and see. If the 5800 gets either of those features then that's great. If not then you shouldn't be disappointed.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nafaikon

I have to disagree slightly here: Yes, it is not sure if we the Nokia 5800 users will indeed get the FW 2.0 which has been promised to the N97 users for sure. But we are hopefull as a couple of  (reliable) sources have said that the FW2.0 is indeed coming to the Nokia 5800 as well. Believe me, we wouldn't be here asking when if we would have been told straight on NO. And believe as well, we are prepared to be disappointed 'cos we have been there before with earlier fw updates.

You said: 

"Nokia would be well within their rights to suggest that you get a 5530 if you want its home screen or that you get an N97 if you want kinetic scrolling. There would be no point in having different phone models if they all have the same features."

IMO you are wrong on this. Nokia has never implaid on stated anything like that and it never will! That would be straigh stupid to play with the buying customers like that, specially with models that have the same operating system S60 5th edition.

and besides, all tought these models appear very similar to eachothers, they are still different. Nokia is not stupid enough to make one model over and over again, they are smart enough to see what consept sells.

And that's why Nokia is the market leader. 

Currently owning and using: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (5800d-1:0559375 Scandinavia blue,V50.0.005)
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jayant_y

ya, i completely agree with nafaicon!!

i am desperate for a better a better home screen .... wanted the contacts and the shortcuts on teh same screeen :-(

waiting for the next update (which i believe will take a pretty long time) 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

way to go nafaykon
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi grschinon

I notice from your sig that you are a 5800 user with firmware version v30?

I hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get that firmware on your handset since, as a UK user like you, I cannot d/l that release from anywhere.

Have you 'unbranded' your device?

Any thoughts / input gratefully accepted

Cheers

Snooty

Please use plain text.
Advisor

-1 grschinon

Sorry...

We are a simple users. Just nokia want sell many 5530, X6, but they forget the 5800, is bad, I disappointed.

All Phones in actually have Kinetic Scrolling, absolutely everyone (n97 mini, 5530, X6...) and the 5800? no? Why?
A logical reason please???

Any members nokia???
They can not even show his face..

Please use plain text.
Sage
perlik

metavisual wrote:

-1 grschinon

Sorry...

We are a simple users. Just nokia want sell many 5530, X6, but they forget the 5800, is bad, I disappointed.

All Phones in actually have Kinetic Scrolling, absolutely everyone (n97 mini, 5530, X6...) and the 5800? no? Why?
A logical reason please???

Any members nokia???
They can not even show his face..

Because Nokia  thinks different.....I'll move to iPhone as soon as possible. There kinetic scrolling and great interface. BSD OS. no more symbian, no more tears.....

Everywhere is well, where we weren't yet
Mobile: iPhone 3GS 16 GB
FW: 3.1.2
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

LordSnooty wrote:
I notice from your sig that you are a 5800 user with firmware version v30?

I hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get that firmware on your handset since, as a UK user like you, I cannot d/l that release from anywhere.

Have you 'unbranded' your device?

My handset already was unbranded. I bought it directly from Nokia retail in Manchester.

I simply updated it by FOTA last week.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
ravidavi

There are 2 sides to this topic.

First, Nokia has absolutely zero legal obligation to give us kinetic scrolling or a new homescreen in the much-desired v40 update for the 5800.  This is because when selling the device, they NEVER indicated (implicitely or explicitely) that the phone would have these features.  Therefore there is no "false advertising" premise that pressures Nokia into adding these abilities.

On the other hand, from a marketing perspective they certainly should release an epic update with kinetic scrolling and a new homescreen.  This is because Nokia's various touchscreen devices vary in HARDWARE, and there is no need to differentiate between them in software.  Need a physical keyboard?  Get the N97.  Don't care about GPS?  Get the 5530.  Don't need a "personal mobile computer"?  Get the 5800.  However, each of these products should, from a marketing perspective, offer the same set of software features (accounting for hardware limitations of course).  Otherwise Nokia is creating holes in its product line that will entice users to look at other companies.  Besides, there's absolutely no reason why a lower-grade model of phone should have MORE capabilities than its big brother (which is exactly what the 5800 is to the 5530).

Personally I know that I am already leaning away from Nokia for my next phone (will probably be Android).  I agree that nokia is "testing the waters" as nafaikon pointed out.  And since I don't want to be Nokia's beta tester anymore, unless I get the epic v40 update for my 5800 I will never buy Nokia again.  Of course I'm sure Nokia doesn't care about one customer, but I feel that I'm not the only one who will ditch Nokia in the upcoming years.

Ravi

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

[ Edited ]

Sure they have no obligation.

But there is another thing called customer care and in this situation Nokia fails.

They could at least release a statement like: please be patient, we're working on it.

But instead they just ignore the 5800 users. 

They announced the n97 fw 2.0 update weeks ago at NW09, so there is no point in saying: 

"We won't announce anything in advance, because people might be even more disappointed if we can't keep our promises."

Really? The 5800 is almost identical to the phones which already have those features. BS.

There are petitions all over the internet screaming for those features. Why is Nokia acting as if nothing was going on there?

It's not like they don't have to put in these features... 

These features should have been in there from the beginning, but they weren't because they used us as their free beta testers for their s60v5 system. When I bought the phone I wasn't signig up for free beta testing. 

My other concern is the fact that they obviously kept the fact secret, that the 5800's cpu clock rate has been increased sometime in february via firmware update.

And they announced it 4 weeks after the n97 launch. 

Or did someone just forget for 5 months to announce that the 5800 got a clockrate increase, which put it at par hardwarewise to the ridiculously overpriced n97?

Really? Is this was they have to rely on? Deceit?

And now that they can't keep up the illusion of a super great n97 smartphone, which disappointed a lot of people they have to keep the 5800 features down to force the enthusiasts to buy the overpriced models?

I was planning to get the n97 mini, I was hoping that it would be announced for ~400€ at NW09....

Well it was announced for 450€, which kinda corresponded to the previous reports that it would be about 100-150€ cheaper than the n97.

And now it's on presale in the nokia online shop for 559€ (???? don't tell me the 450€ was before taxes, because this price is far higher). The n900 is 599€ and some shops as the slovakian nokia online store offers it for 639€.. REALLY?

The N97 is even 10€ cheaper... Are the insane?

"The n97 mini is much newer than the n97"... yes.. but it's identical, but smaller and has less built in memory...

I mean they have to be insane if they aren't just ********** with their customers...

This nullifies like any PR statement any Nokia employee ever made or will make.

All that "We care, we don't want to disappoint, we care for our customers needs, we whatever..." is just empty talk.

or does anyone have an acceptable explanation for this?

and acceptable doesn't mean: stfu and wait or buy a new nokia phone, althought you bought one 10 months ago.

because that's what I've been reading the last few months.

Message Edited by realredfox on 21-Oct-2009 12:48 PM
Message Edited by realredfox on 21-Oct-2009 12:48 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

realredfox wrote:

There are petitions all over the internet screaming for those features. Why is Nokia acting as if nothing was going on there?

The 5800 is about a year old now, it is unlikely to receive significant new features. All models will be subject to independent market research as to what the target market wants, petitions all over the internet do not attract a wide cross-section of  customers, so they are unlikely to be taken in consideration in development decisions by any company.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

[ Edited ]

over 8 million units sold, lower bugdet models get better featers 5 months later.

so that's not a wide cross-section of  customers?

if that was the case, why should they bother to put those features in the lower budget version of the same phone a bit later?

contradiction.

I wouldn't be complaining if those phones were superior and improved.

but they are exactly the same.

Message Edited by realredfox on 21-Oct-2009 01:48 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
lvvine

Nokia will be releasing the new major update for 5800 after release of N97 V20. In couple of months Nokia 5800 user will get a major update with Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescreen. Version no. is yet to be decided,

Just wait and watch.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

2 months???  Is a long wait.. or not?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

lvvine wrote:
Nokia will be releasing the new major update for 5800 after release of N97 V20. In couple of months Nokia 5800 user will get a major update with Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescreen. Version no. is yet to be decided,

What information do you have to back this up?

Unless it's something that comes directly from Nokia (like PR2.0 for the N97 was), it is not to be taken seriously. Remember the fabled release schedule for PR2.0 claiming that all versions would be rolled out by last Tuesday, it turned out to be a hoax and/or wishful thinking.

This announcement should also be considered a hoax and/or wishful thinking absent any indication to the contrary direct from Nokia. So, people, don't get your hopes up just yet.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
nafaikon

Let's give a round of applause for our official thread party pooper grschinon!!

Someone has obviosly peed on your morning cereals, all that negativity is not good for your health and does not make us feel happy ya know?

Currently owning and using: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic (5800d-1:0559375 Scandinavia blue,V50.0.005)
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

I'm only prompting a reality check.

There are three possibilities.

1) The announcement is real, in which case it should be corroborated by something on an official Nokia page. I have yet to see that.

2) The announcement is leaked information, in which case it shouldn't be posted here and it would have been removed by the moderators. It's still there.

3) It's a load of cobblers.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

the reality check is that tons of customers are **bleep**... and this is just exemplary:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/oct/21/nokia-n97-updates

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally disagree with users who say Nokia has no obligation of releasing a new firmware supporting homescreen and kinetic scrolling. There is a fact that 5800 has all hardware requirements it needs to support these features and not releasing such a firmware is not because of hardware obstacles.

There are already users who had enough problems with 5800,internal earpiece problem, severe slowness, defect with phone's cover and all. Most of them were solved after a year it was released with v30 update. Users who've been through it for a year should not be feeling happy but rather dissapointed after all they've experienced. 

Now, Nokia has such features for other devices and although the current 5800 handset supports the hardware needed, you say they do not have to release this firmware. This is nonsense. If what they have in their minds is customer satisfaction, then you could imagine the big failure if they didn't release it. People've been waiting for this for ages and saying it's not possible is rather ridiculous and yet disastrous!

Not to forget, I'll buy Android next time if it is not released just because of their greedy sales policy.

Message Edited by shadow_shooter on 23-Oct-2009 11:14 AM
Message Edited by shadow_shooter on 23-Oct-2009 11:18 AM
Please use plain text.