Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescree...

Re: Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescreen. When? We are Desperate!

I do not think Motorola and/or Android is bug free!

You just changed from known bugs to unkonwn ones  :smileywink:

Nokia 5800 is a very good festures / price phone. I love it. Of course it could be more powerfull, more this, more that, ... But I think it is a good platform for small device with a lot of possibilities.

I had a Motorola once. Their customer's service was so bad I was never able to make my phone work the way it was explained into the manuals! So I prefer (for now) Nokia...

Of course I would like to test some Android based phones, and I also check new Malmoe for phones.

Just to let you know...

Please use plain text.
Sage
zebarnabe

When I think phones as phones (not as multimedia center devices) Nokia sure has good ones, but currently market is all about multimedia and conectivity features, 5800 is a very cheap (in price) phone, it has a decent screen, good conectivity features, great phone call quality, GPS, etc.

When comparing to other phones with same features all ends up in three things: price, interface and apps availability...

5800 (or 5530 if you take GPS out) has a very good price and there are many aplications for it (maybe the biggest issue is that is not easy to make stuff for it), interface could be better, but having the legacy of symbian is not bad and very usable, the only issue is the scrolling (reading a MMS is quite a pain since it switches slides when you reach the end of one) and the stability.

I don't mean the lack of kinetic scrolling but the lack of a proper way of scrolling (fast and precise)

About stability, i recently got a couple of crashes that worried me up, i was sending a SMS, and phone crashed, screen got some dark purple/blue horizontal stripes and locked up, no reboot, nothing... i had to remove battery... since this didn't happenned before and if starts happening i may send my phone to warranty... i NEVER sent a phone to warranty before, i take very good care of them, i still have a Motorola Startac working, having an unknown and random crash on the phone is quite a pain...

A little note on Android devices, they take you're money away if you don't have a data plan or a firewall installed (a few packets are send to keep a connection active - this was proved to occour in vodafone ones, but i guess it may happen with other ones)! Symbian devices have a proper way of controlling connections... even if i can't connect to students eduroam network and android devices can >_>

5800xm on a blender ... will happen sooner than expected.... v51 is a failure as an update .... v52 just postponed its fate....
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

no data plan + multimedia touchphone?

people who don't have data plans for their phones also don't need that kind of phone,

they should stick to 15€ prepaid phones.

welcome to the year 2009.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Well, Nokia is launching new firmware to many new models. I´m kinda getting bored with this. I think our 5800 its going to be out of this list. Such a sad thing!
Please use plain text.
Sage
zebarnabe

realredfox wrote:

people who don't have data plans for their phones also don't need that kind of phone,

I don't have data plan from my provider... not a dedicated one at least... i can use 3G to web access... right... but is costly (well it's free for mail protocol), anyway, data plans are expensive in my country (10€ for 100Mb per month - don't try to go to youtube while travelling on train and using 3G) and i have internet access via WiFi for free in anyplace i go ;p

Also, many 5800 don't use heavy data transfer via 3G, but use phone to watch videos and listen to music or even radio without any internet connection ....

welcome to economic crysis... xD

5800xm on a blender ... will happen sooner than expected.... v51 is a failure as an update .... v52 just postponed its fate....
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I love the phone. Had the crashs before, but since I updated my firmware no more crashs. Scrolling is really bad. Think about take minutes to scroll a long page. I love to read fanfictions at fanfictions.net... imagine! 6000 words in one page... it takes forever to go to bottow of the page.
Please use plain text.

I use my 5800 daily to access my email accounts, web, twitter, MSN, Skype and I do NOT have a data plan!

99% of my connections are done via WIFI (at work, at home, and sometimes at restaurants/hotel). So I do not need a data plan (furthermore it is costly in Switzerland).

I'm glad that my 5800 let me decide to auto connect to WIFI and ask me for GSM data connections. I do not like devices trying to send packets at short intervals and without prior acknowledge from user!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

realredfox wrote:

You may want to check a dictionary for meaning of "multimedia". I know that teenagers who grew with already developed internet are rather clueless on this topic, but reality is, there is a plethora of multimedia outside internet. One of the biggest strengths of s60v5 platform is that unlike android and iphone, it's not a complete cripple without internet access - it's still a fully functional multimedia machine. I can still listen to FM radio, I can still play music, I can still view videos, I can still play games, I can still take photos, I can still navigate using on board GPS and nokia maps.

All this without internet connection of any kind.

Possibilities are very much limitless. That's why I like this phone over alternatives at the moment. If you ever traveled, you know how bloody bad iphone actually is without internet connection - it's generally a completely crippled platform. And data roaming fees go into hundreds of euros pretty fast when out of your country, even in Europe. If you're from North America, you're literally screwed by magnitude of another 10.

If you feel that you would wither away and die without internet in your phone, that's all fine and dandy. Just don't assume that all people are addicted like that, or that everyone's needs match yours. There's a lot of users out there who could care less about internet when it comes to multimedia smartphone.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

[ Edited ]

the milestone does all of that + is doesn't suck at half of it.

stop making up facts.

In which way is android cripples without the internet?

are you saying, writing emails and surfing the web, doesn't need internet access on the 5800?

how about being able to scroll through a ton of files with the swipe of one finger.

the only crippled thing here is the 5800, so that you invest new money in another nokia phone which is just half crippled 

by being build of old **bleep** hardware which doesn't even allow smooth scrolling.

Message Edited by realredfox on 02-Dec-2009 12:06 PM
Message Edited by realredfox on 02-Dec-2009 12:06 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Dear realredfox. There is another aspect to it. It's called "cost". xm5800 costs about 2/3 to 1/2 (depending on the country) compared to milestone. In fact, it's in the same group with n900, which for the lack of better comparison wipes milestone all over the floor at the moment on hardware. Lucky for android, maemo5 is still in it's diapers, so it can still come ahead on software, at least to a point.

Funniest thing is that you mention word "crippled" alongside nokia, when a well known fact for anyone working in the industry is that nokia is the only major cell phone manifacturer that refuses to cripple its phones to allow network providers block access from your phone to competing services.

S60 and maemo are about as free as you get in the mobile phone market, compared even to android, which is essentially a glorified sandbox, or iphone which is just plain sandboxed and crippled. This isn't even debatable, both apple and google concede the point themselves.

As for android being crippled without internet, it IS. Look at the OS design - it's built from the ground up on the assumption that there is a free, unfettered access to google apps. Google maps makes for a brilliant example. Sure, you can use a lot of features, but the phone becomes really clunky as much of its core functionality basically disables itself with the loss of internet connectivity. S60 on xm5800 on the other hand is designed in the opposite direction - multimedia machine with internet functionality slapped on top. That's why it feels so clunky with many internet applications.

Please use plain text.
Sage
zebarnabe

Well ... the only news from nokia we have right now is this:

http://www.nokia.com/press/press-releases/showpressrelease?newsid=1358666

For 'some' reason i assume it doesn't involve 5800 (or even N97, 5530 and the rest of 5th edition fleet) ... i just hope they fix all the main issues before they drop the support from it...

I really hope that nokia does something useful in 2010 ... but i'm not going to buy a new phone...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

[ Edited ]

dear pinocchio,

sometimes, even if it seems less, it's just too much.

In the beginning, I was conviced, about how great the value is price is for the 5800.

but then I noticed, that it has a load of flaws, which I was overlooking, because I was expecting to be fixed soon by nokia.

Now I totally regret not to have paid just 100 bucks extra to get a phone which doesn't crash all the time or doesn't have 

gaps in it's case. Or which offers an operating system which isn't in beta state and I'm not a stupid free beta testers for it.

but it turned out, that nokia doesn't care for a product which is cheap, but they try to sell you the overpriced n-version of the 

same product.

especially the deceit about the 5800 clockrate increase, which has been obviously kept secret for months (~5) and has 

been made public just 4 weeks after the n97 release

(SURPISE SUCKERS! The 5800 is just as fast as the overpriced n97 lol!!!!)

is what made me turn my back on nokia and their shady politics.

Now that the n97 and n97 mini aren't superior on the hardware side, they try to force the "enthusiasts" to buy the n-series models,

by not releasing or delaying software updates.

Message Edited by realredfox on 02-Dec-2009 01:25 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Someone above mentioned that symbian OS is an open platform with lots of 3rd party apps. That's true, but just look at the quality of those apps as well !!!   Most of them are simple fun and utility apps that allow you to make use of the LED flash on the back of your 5800 and some make use of built-in accelerometer !!! Is there any worthwhile app for professional use e.g look at the medical apps available for iphone 3G. Similarly iphone OS also boasts of plethora of apps for engineers. No such case with 5800 or N97. The apps available for symbian s60 are for teenagers only; whereas being a smartphone it should have enough professional 3rd party apps to be competitive enough. All major manufacturers like Samsung have done significant modifications to s60 v5 like Samsung Touch Wiz, HTC sense UI. Nokia should learn atleast from Samusung in designing a nice user-friendly UI. Even the UI of Samsung Star is way better than our 5800 XM

And Yes, we early adopters of 5800 do atleast deserve features like kinetic scrolling, wigetized homescreen etc. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

muhammadusman wrote:

Someone above mentioned that symbian OS is an open platform with lots of 3rd party apps. That's true, but just look at the quality of those apps as well !!!   Most of them are simple fun and utility apps that allow you to make use of the LED flash on the back of your 5800 and some make use of built-in accelerometer !!! Is there any worthwhile app for professional use e.g look at the medical apps available for iphone 3G. Similarly iphone OS also boasts of plethora of apps for engineers. No such case with 5800 or N97. The apps available for symbian s60 are for teenagers only; whereas being a smartphone it should have enough professional 3rd party apps to be competitive enough. All major manufacturers like Samsung have done significant modifications to s60 v5 like Samsung Touch Wiz, HTC sense UI. Nokia should learn atleast from Samusung in designing a nice user-friendly UI. Even the UI of Samsung Star is way better than our 5800 XM

And Yes, we early adopters of 5800 do atleast deserve features like kinetic scrolling, wigetized homescreen etc. 

Whose fault is that?

People has to develop for Symbian because that is what is happening for Iphone. We can't only wait for Nokia to do it the same way people don't wait for Apple. I am no programmer, but if I knew how to right software I'd do it just for the fun. There are apps around that can put widgets in the home screen, which means any one can write a software to do so, but right now we have to pay if we want it. Nokia could do... yes... but they didn't for all phone.

Someone above said that maybe people who complain about some characteristics of other phones really need a new one. I do agree. Widgets are not necessary for me, but an efficient way to scroll is a necessity in any phone. I'm satisfied with my phone because I can do a lot more with it than many phones of other manufacturers, including Apple. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Moderators, close this topic please!!!
The firmware will never come
Thanks for your supports guys..!!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CharlieDee

Where d hell's Ivvine ran off too??? :smileymad:

What's the read on this UpDate Now? If there is no v40 why are some new topics on it been deleted and this one's stays put...? Hmmm :smileysurprised:

I just Do, Because, I Can!
Please use plain text.
Sage
lvvine

CharlieDee  there is some thing worth waiting for... Nokia Does not have only one phone to support. There is big process in fixing bugs and releasing firmware update.

Please do have Patience to get a better solution.  

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

i hope the update will be in this month. Im bored
Please use plain text.
Sage
lvvine

As you all know N97 V20 have lot of bugs in it. for 5800 it needs to be cross checked before releasing the update.

So that New post should not populate "Bugs List in New 5800 firmware"...

After Clearing the test process the new firmware's will be released. "Bugs fixing is not a easy job"

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Of course bug fixing is not an easy job. But let's face it, symbian / s60 has been almost the same in its basic functionality, since almost 7-9 years. Other dumb phones have become smarter than this silly s60/symbian OS of Nokia. So Nokia still having problems with crashing during calls or basic stuff is simply not acceptable. Even if some new features are to be added, having such huge experience with the OS, surely adding a new feature should be relatively easy. Can they not even provide a simple reset button like a windows PC? Everytime a crash, take out battery - ridiculous in this day and age. The fellows can't even get to the same standard on a basic business card - absurd.

That being said, Nokia has certainly done a decent job in its adaption of s60 to the touch OS. But I still cannot help feeling that we pay premium prices for new phone only to be stupid beta testers for Nokia.

From now I only buy a phone which is 6-8 months old at 40-50% of the price when launched so that all hardware and software glitches have been addressed and it will run nicely.  

Please use plain text.