Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescree...

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Nokia 5800: Kinetic Scrolling, other Homescreen. When? We are Desperate!

[ Edited ]
For the benefit of those who were whining about it, the new firmware does have kinetic scrolling. Personally I can take it or leave it. Also, it doesn't work in the menu, only within applications.

You get a QWERTY keypad automatically if you rotate the phone during input now. They have, however, removed the horizontal alphanumeric keypad, which is a bit of a bummer as far as I'm concerned.

If the phone's locked when someone calls you, you can answer call using the same swipe motion as on the N97.

It has the new home screen off more recent S60v5 models, but no widgets à la N97.

By tomorrow I'll know if the alarm time bugs are resolved.

More free RAM at startup.

More responsive.

Still no scheduled sync or SIP client.

Not a bad update provided the most annoying bugs have been squashed and they've not introduced a shedload of new bugs.
Message Edited by grschinon on 13-Jan-2010 05:25 PM

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
clintonjeff

Yup, new firmware out today. And it does add Kinetic scrolling everywhere (except the main menu).

It also adds the contacts bar (from the Nokia 5530), ovi contacts and a faster ui overall. TheQwerty keyboard now automatically appears when you rotate to landscape mode in Text Input menus.

via [ http://zomgitscj.com/nokia-5800-xpressmusic-gets-firmware-update-to-version-40-0-005/ ]

Mobile News, Reviews and More : http://UnleashThePhones.com/
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
WoodyWoodsta

[ Edited ]
Well, now that the new firmware with KS and all that is out, we perhaps need to tell Nokia - We take all we've said previously back and a big thanks for reading our posts if they did. You're back in our good books (or at least most of us hopefully). I, personally, haven't upgraded yet as it seems to be unavailable for SA users but I trust they will release it soon for us (and if they don't then they're a bit bonkers!), but from what I've heard, it all sounds positive! We were only complaining because (this may not be the case with all of us nokia users) we actually do love your phones. Thanks again Nokia!
Message Edited by lance16 on 14-Jan-2010 02:08 PM
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Red V52.0.007

Hit the Kudos if I helped!
Please use plain text.

Yeah! Thanks for the update! Although it needs a bit of polishing, but nevermind, it'll be better and better in every next update! I have just one question: i don't know if it's a bug, but when i put the calendar shortcut on the homescreen and add some events, it only shows one event (just the first upcoming), and it reads: next entry is on ... I think i saw a pic of this with the name of the actual event, but mine doesn't show it that way. Maybe it's an option somewhere, but i just can't find it. Any ideas how?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

contacts bar is slow to respond ? Rest is good. Any one?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

@TheRiddleR_

The calendar part of the homescreen will only show overdue ToDo notes and events for today and tomorrow. If there are events scheduled within the next week, the display will show "Next event dd/mm/yyyy". If the next event is more than a week off, the calendar will display nothing.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

Is it just me or....

It seems they didn't add KS to the browser. 

Feel free to hit the KUDOS button if you think I deserved it.........
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

The browser had KS right from the outset. Maybe not as fast as elsewhere but it's there!

Please use plain text.
Sage
rpgs_player

Yeah, but it definitely needs some improvement. I barely noticed the "flick" effect, it's nowhere near as effective as KS in other areas such as contacts bar and music player.
Feel free to hit the KUDOS button if you think I deserved it.........
Please use plain text.

@grschinon

Thanks for the reply. That's really lame. It would be cool to read: me and kate (for example) diner, 18.01.2010. But you get what you get, that's it :smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I said there were going to be an upgrade and some people here accused me of being a liar. Well, first a n97 homescreen was thought to be added for the v40 but later it was decided that a 5530-like homescreen would be better for some reasons. Some noticed and some didn't but there's an improvement for the gps connectivity. It should not take more than 5-10 seconds now (ofcourse in an open area).

And lastly, our biggest love goes to Nokia for listening to their customers.

Message Edited by shadow_shooter on 15-Jan-2010 04:20 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

ravidavi wrote:

shadow_shooter wrote:
A new firmware will be released with the version number 40.0.001. You have to wait while it is being tested.

Come on people, use your heads.  A guy with 5 posts comes on and claims to have insider firmware knowledge.  Clearly he's bulls***ting.  Even if a firmware WAS coming out anytime soon, why would it be 40.0.001??  That would imply that the first internal testing build of the firmware was the one that came out to the public.

Please don't give this guy any credit, and let's move on.  If we get another fw for the 5800, then great.  If not, let's just move on and return to Nokia in the distant future when all their grandiose claims of releasing the ultimate mobile phone come true. (yeah right)

Ravi

Ahh... Hey Ravi :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Sage
ravidavi

[ Edited ]

shadow_shooter wrote:

Ahh... Hey Ravi :smileyhappy:

Hey there, how's it hangin?

I wonder how long we can keep this thread going postmortem.

Message Edited by ravidavi on 14-Jan-2010 11:14 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage
abzafella

another update in this firmware is that when your alarm rings, you also swip your finger to 'stop' or swip the other way to 'snooze' (simialr to wen someones calling you)
If iv helped in anyway, hit the kudos button :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Thank you Nokiaaaaaaa I love Youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
cricketgirl90

I loved my nokia 5800xm n now i love it MORE!!!

KS n the auto-rotate keypad solves my quiries.. n i wud take the new home screen cuz of the new music player widget

thanks Nokia.. Love Ya Always!! :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

ppl just need to have a lil faith... there WAS a v40 afterall despite ppl claiming nokia never releases firmwares later than v30/31

3100 - N70 - 5800XM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
WoodyWoodsta

Can't update yet :smileysad: ... Can't wait either...
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Red V52.0.007

Hit the Kudos if I helped!
Please use plain text.
Sage
abzafella

haha why is this post still running? nokia answered the question of the original poster with a firmware update?
If iv helped in anyway, hit the kudos button :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.