Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 V40.0.005 Firmware Problem

Counsellor

Nokia 5800 V40.0.005 Firmware Problem

I upgraded the firmware on my phone when V40.0.005 came out in January and noticed the new calling screen etc but this morning I went to use the phone and noticed that the calling screen has reverted back to pre V40 firmware and other things have also changed but all my settings etc are still there, so I checked the firmware on the phone and it sure says V40.0.005.

Weird, I noticed the other day with I was using Ovi suite via Bluetooth to send/receive messages the phone just automatically restarted.

Also another issue I'm having on occasions is that I can not connect my phone's Bluetooth to Ovi suite unless I turn it off and back on again.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

The new calling screen will only appear if the phone is locked. If you are having problems with the phone, follow these instructions:

1. As it seems to have started after an update, simply reinstall the update.

2. If problem persists, then try to remove the memory card, if the phone runs well without the card, its a card issue.

3. If it still does not work well without the card, you may have to reset your phone. Back up all your data and type in *#7370# on your dial pad. You can restore afterwards as it will delete everything, but do not under any circumstances restore settings.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

True that with the calling sceen, my bad

It didn't start after the update, I've been using it ok for 2 months after the update, the only thing now that is pre V40 is that the main screen contacts and dialing pad icons are back to the square shape not retangle, already reinstalled the firmware I'll try taking out the memory card (but the phone is running fine) and if that doesn't change anything, I'm only left with doing a full reset

cheers Chan

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

firmware problem

The rectangles at the bottom that says telephone and contacts? That's only when you choose contacts bar homescreen theme. The new contacts bar allows for both contacts and shortcuts, emails and the music widget onscreen. If you revert to shortcut bar homescreen menu, it will go back to the old design.

Well, cant you just connect the phone to your PC using cables?

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Re: firmware problem

Arhh, that fixed it, I wondered why it changed all of a sudden?

I could use the usb cable but bluetooh is eaiser

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
brennbar67

[ Edited ]

i also noticed some problem on this new firmware version V40.0.005.

Problem:

1) It having difficulty to power up the phone... once it powering up, it will auto shut it down itself. I gotta retries many times only able to power up my phone. For old firmware, I didnt see this kind of problem

2) when the phone is fully charging, the LCD backlight UNABLE to turn OFF itself. I tried to charging my phone overnight, and when i wake up the next day morning, I can see the LCD backlight still turning ON.. this is something wrong here. For old firmware, I didnt encounter this problem before.

Nokia, please fix this bugs...

thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Problem 1: try to power it off and on without memory card. if it works properly, your memory card is corrupted.

Problem 2: 2nd person I've seen with this issue. have you tried reinstalling the firmware? Please also test this with the screen autolock off, to see what triggers this bug. I cant test it for myself since I dont have the bug.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
snwang

brennbar67 wrote:

Problem:

1) It having difficulty to power up the phone... once it powering up, it will auto shut it down itself. I gotta retries many times only able to power up my phone. For old firmware, I didnt see this kind of problem

2) when the phone is fully charging, the LCD backlight UNABLE to turn OFF itself. I tried to charging my phone overnight, and when i wake up the next day morning, I can see the LCD backlight still turning ON.. this is something wrong here. For old firmware, I didnt encounter this problem before.

thanks!

Ha ha... welcome to the group, my friend. I have the EXACT same problem on my 5800.

But I'm sorry, there's no solution here, there are either users not facing this issues or only a handful of upset users who had this problem still hoping for solution.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@snwang - there are no solutions because we cant test it for ourselves, thats why we're asking you to test various methods. If we could like replicate the issue, everything would have been easy. Of course we'll first tell you to do this, if that doesnt work, try this, etc, because we dont have you're phone! You're the one holding it, not us. If I could get a hold of your phone, I could do what I wish with it to try and fix it, but I dont have the phone so you'll have to go through the motions of trial an error yourself.

Now be a good boy/girl and try out what I told you to try. I think I have an idea to let you get on with your life without your phone messing with you. But I need to confirm first if this bug is triggered by the screen being in locked state while charging.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
snwang

That's exactly right! The bug is triggered by lock state during charging.

It does not matter what lock state it's in before charging, as soon as the screen starts to lock, the display won't turn off.

Another thing is after unplugging... if you unplug from charger when the screen is in lock state. The screen will never turn off.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Ok, now that we have confirmed it, it may be a firmware problem for your custom version of the v40. My v40 custom version is 40.0.005C02.01.

Now, I will ask you to turn off autolock and try to charge without it. Please confirm if it will charge normally, and the backlight will die after the full charge prompt.

I know you need autolock, but I need to confirm a few things first.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
snwang

By turning of the auto-lock, the backlight behaves correctly.

My custom version is 40.0.005.C01.01 (dated 29/12/09). Is there any way to change the custom version of my phone?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

No, its the custom version for your phone variant.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
snwang

brennbar67 wrote:

Problem:

thanks!

WE ARE DOOMED! Looks like Nokia does not think the problem we faced is a firmware bug!

I have email their customer support on this issue and this is the reply I got from them:

SR# 1-10867639480

Dear Mr. Wang,

Thank you for emailing Nokia Careline.

In response to your inquiry, you can first reboot the phone by turning it off and removing the battery. Wait for around 5 minutes before returning the battery and turning it on. Another option will be to restore the settings by going to Menu > Settings and Phone > Phone mgmt. > Factory settings > Lock Code (default is 12345).

Alternatively, we suggest for you to make a backup of all important information.

Kindly refer at the link below for an online guide:

http://www.nokia.com.my/get-support-and-software/download-software/nokia-pc-suites/how-to/backup-and...#

Once done, you can format the phone.To format the Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, kindly dial the command *#7370# in idle mode > Lock Code (default is 12345).

You may like to visit our website at www.nokia.com.my for more information and support for your Nokia device. If you have further enquiries, please write to us again or contact Nokia Careline at 1300 881600. We operate between the hours of 8.00am and 8.00pm, seven days a week.

Kind regards,

XXX XXX X.
Nokia Careline

WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW???!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

hello,i have same problem with my 6220c latest firmware 5.15 ,there is a lot of bugs,like not being able to veiw mobile tv on my tv screen via tv out cable ,my friend has sme phone with older firmware version and he can watch his mobile tv on his tv screen via tv out cale,i contacted nokia and they said i should switch my phone off,and remove battery foe five minuites just as they asked u, but nothing happened,i really need nokia to come up with 6220c new firmware

Please use plain text.
eshan

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem as smwang...whenever i plug out the headphones when the screen is locked on my nokia 5800, the screen light will turn on and remain on forever till the battery discharges completely. same problem happens if i plug out during charging. This problem only happens if the screen is locked.

Wrote to nokia care centre and got the same reply as smwang...about restoring to factory setting, which i have done like zillion times...also hv reformatted my memory card million times....

sigh, i hv had so many nokia phones previously,,none has given me such a headache before.

btw, i'm using the latest firmware..v40.0.005.c02.01

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

nokia is just a waste of money

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

If that's your opinion then what are you doing here? Go buy another phone. Seriously. Most people here come to help or get help.

If you dont like Nokia, go buy yourself an Apple. Or a Samsung. Personally, having went through a similar situation years back with Moto, then I see them after a two year gig churning out some of the most awesome phones I've seen, I decided to whether this Nokia storm, since after this storm I see the coming of MeeGo and Symbian^3 (Unlike Moto back in 2007 where they pretty much announced that they'll be back in competition 2010, Nokia has a shorter timetable). I'm prefectly happy with a perfectly working 5800, so I'll stay.

If the situation is different for you, your free to leave and look for another phone. No one is going to try to pull back your arm and tell you to stay.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

can u help me with my nokia 6220 classic problem? if no then this forum is **bleep**,it is supposed to be a forum where nokia get to help solve mobile problems,but nothing is happening

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
snwang

ceejay80s wrote:

hello,i have same problem with my 6220c latest firmware 5.15 ,there is a lot of bugs,like not being able to veiw mobile tv on my tv screen via tv out cable ,my friend has sme phone with older firmware version and he can watch his mobile tv on his tv screen via tv out cale,i contacted nokia and they said i should switch my phone off,and remove battery foe five minuites just as they asked u, but nothing happened,i really need nokia to come up with 6220c new firmware

Have you responded back to Nokia that the problem still persists after performing their troubleshooting steps?

Please use plain text.