Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 V40.0.005 Firmware Problem

Gerry5008

Re: Nokia 5800 V40.0.005 Firmware Problem Alarms will not snooze or stop

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem with new software version 40.0.005 UK O2 phone Type RM356 custom version 40.0.005.237.06. Alarm will not snooze or Stop when screen is touched. When call is received with keyguard turned on cannot answer must slide gaurd and press screen

have siilar problem with alarm. get new "band" graphic saying silence or stop and neither do anything!

Similar problem when the phone rings and is on autolock. i get a banner graphic coming up saying unlock or answer and again neither works. i have to use the slider switch to unlock and then hit the answer button on the screen.

This really is a pain in the A*rs*, its not as if i am a cutting edge techie, they sent me an email telling me to upgrade and now its busted- Get it right Nokia like most people here you really do appear to be losing it with this phone. ive used Nokia for ever and I stay with it because I know how it works but i have had so many problems with this one that i think I will try anything else next upgrade.

Anther thing- I took thir offer of soe free music credit. it has now installed some DRM software that has stopped me playing existing songs I had on the phone- what apain in the neck

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@gandolfin, the "band" is a new feature on v40. Didnt you notice they are arrows? Swipe your finger along the band/arrow which you choose, answer or silence, or snooze perhaps, and you will activate that option. It is the same feature on the n97 and 5530, x6, etc. this was also implemented on the 5800 to prevent accidental answering of calls while the phone is in the pocket.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Gerry5008

[ Edited ]

Thanks- You are quite correct. This works. I just found it in another section as well and was about to add it here. Normally I "get" Nokia's intuitive operation but in this case it passed me by. I thought that left to right graphic was just to be S*xy

Don't suppose you know anyway of sorting out my DRM problem? i.e. I had some albums on there playing no probs then downloaded some music from OVI site with DRM and it has now cottoned on to the others on my phone, I guess, and said its not playing- Its what DRM is for I suppose but still a bit of a pain

Thanks again for your help on the alarms much appreciated

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mikefaulkner

Ok, thanks for sorting the alarm problem (I do feel a little stupid). I came across another problem today, the full screen qwerty keyboard option has disappeared on messaging, it is there for everything else.

Please use plain text.
Gerry5008

I think you will find that to change from full Qwerty to Mini qwerty or handwriting or Alphanumeric key pad you must click on the symbol which looks like a small keyboard. This brings up a dropdown menu with he other options for the way to enter text. This keyboard symbol is always in the area which comes up when you go to enter text. So if you are in mini qwerty mode it appears on the bottom right of the mini qwerty keyboard, when you are in alphanumeric keyboard it appears to the left. In some applications full keyboard is not available like when text messaging, but it is available in other apps.

Hope this helps

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

[ Edited ]
@Gerry5008 - in the v40 firmware the full keyboard option is no longer available in the keyboard icon @mike - The alphanumeric keyboard autoswitches to the full screen qwerty when you rotate and hold the phone in a landscape position. The landscape alphanumeric feature has been removed.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

chanchan05 wrote:

@gandolfin, the "band" is a new feature on v40. Didnt you notice they are arrows? Swipe your finger along the band/arrow which you choose, answer or silence, or snooze perhaps, and you will activate that option. It is the same feature on the n97 and 5530, x6, etc. this was also implemented on the 5800 to prevent accidental answering of calls while the phone is in the pocket.

Hello Chanchan,
First my apologies for the fact that I didn't read all the posts, but I wanted to react to this one right away.

We the users of the 5800, always have been used to tap, tap and tap. If I haven't found this thread, I would never guess the "swiping" thing, and believe me thousands doesn't do either.

The arrows are just not enough to give a clue. Nokia should do better changelog annoucements concerning firmwares.

Further, no complaints; I don't know if the 5800 is the best smartphone on the market, but it's definatelly the best buy.

Anyway thanks for your tips and patience...the "swipe" thing works just fine.

Cheers

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
eshan

Re: firmware problem

hi...i bought the phone in malaysia...though i'm studying in singapore now..and won't be going back till sometime in june..warranty in expiring next month and nokia doesnt have international warranty...arghhhh...

Please use plain text.
eshan

Re: firmware problem

eshan wrote:

I have the same problem as smwang...whenever i plug out the headphones when the screen is locked on my nokia 5800, the screen light will turn on and remain on forever till the battery discharges completely. same problem happens if i plug out during charging. This problem only happens if the screen is locked.

Wrote to nokia care centre and got the same reply as smwang...about restoring to factory setting, which i have done like zillion times...also hv reformatted my memory card million times....

sigh, i hv had so many nokia phones previously,,none has given me such a headache before.

btw, i'm using the latest firmware..v40.0.005.c02.01

snwang wrote

Yes, it's a problematic firmware as far as I know for the Asia Pasific 1 phone models. So did you reply to Nokia customer service that their troubleshoot steps doesn't help? I suggest you do so because in my case, they end up offer me to downgrade (swap m/board) to V31.0.101 FOC (still under warranty, of course).

I have another European model also running on V40 without such problem. It's close to perfect actually and I like it :smileyhappy:

Oh... by the way, the C02 custom code is the color code. C01 - RED, C02 - BLUE. It does not matter which colour you're on, if your region has this issue, both colour codes are affected.

Arrgg... one more thing, which region/country does your phone belong to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i bought the phone in malaysia..studying in singapore now and won't be going back till june...warranty is expiring next month though...and nokia doesnt have international warranty...sometimes i do feel like taking a hammer and crushing the phone...but my pockets are not so deep..sigh..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

Re: firmware problem email mailbox

[ Edited ]

Is anybody having problems with email I (nokia mail, mailbox configuration, etc) as well?

Until previous firmware I wasn't having any difficulties to approach mailbox throw messaging,

but now I do.

Tx in advance

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Try using the particular app for your email. I have an ovi mail account, so I use the ovi mail app. There's also a gmail app.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I'm getting simliar problems, but mine seem to be related to the battery

After having many problems with the 5530, I swapped over to the 5800.  I still noticed that the battery was only lasting me 2 days, the same as with the 5530.

However, since I upgraded the software on Friday to 40.0.005.237.06, I've noticed that the battery is barely lasting me a day, anyone else noticed this?

My phone was fully charged yesterday morning, had about a 1 minute call while testing another phone, browsed the net for a couple of minutes and bluetooth on.  Went to bed at 11 with 4 bars of battery left, woke up at 5 with 1, even though the phone obviously wasn't doing anything while I was sleeping.

Please use plain text.
Eckswhyzed

[ Edited ]

@chanchan05

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can now turn the alarm off with a "swipe" of the band. Now, if only we can get the key vibrate to work on all keys, like when I have photo contacts on the home screen and when I use the screen unlock slider, that'd be great!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

chanchan05 wrote:

Try using the particular app for your email. I have an ovi mail account, so I use the ovi mail app. There's also a gmail app.

Well, Profimail is a good particular mail app., I am trying it and I can configure pop3 and imap accounts in it; but i could also configure at least one pop3 account in the nokia email app of the 5800 and check the mails, but since the latest firmware I cannot contact the preconfigured mailbox or reconfigure it.

So my question is: Is that a bug that came with the new firmware or something I did wrong?

If I'm the only one with this problem, so probably this has nothing to do with the new firmware.

Anyway thanks for the input; if I cannot fix nokia email, profimail will do just fine.....

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I cannot answer your question. Ever since I updated to v40, I installed the Ovi mail app and it configured the phone's email settings by itself. the only things I would have to do is to set the retrieval to automatic or manual.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
D161741_R3417Y

[ Edited ]

Hmmm I found a couple of bugs Nokia aren't aware of. lol. But usually I manage to fix them myself, although I post my ISSUES that I myself have resolved perfectly well without any outside 3rd party association. I decided to join the discussions group to help other people. This Networking people. Community Support & service really do pay off sometimes & can dissolve things quicker than ever.  The Public Communtiy Spirit - that's the FIX.

I'm waiting to see whether I'll have screw with my phone to force an upgrade to get V.40.000. My phones got the 0575581.  You can bypass the code you have with an alternative but why would i risk (but not) risk screwing my phone this way aswell?. I sense these facts that Bugs show up everywhere & are running everywhere in my custom version V.31.0.101.217.08 but why would I want to screw with my warranty aswell?. Alternatively you can learn C++, Internal-Real Time Kernel Programming & NET. Ha Ha

Computers must be male. As soon as you commit to one you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have obtained a better model. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on. Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the day.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

Re: firmware problem email mailbox (SOLVED)

[ Edited ]

The problem i was having with email was not really firmware related.

Somehow, sometime, i configured something ( or misconfigured) and internet access to any mailboxes from my device was blocked.

So not only the standalone pop3 email account but the ovi mailbox as well ( both go throw nokia messaging) were not really connecting

So I applied a soft reset (what is a drag  cause I should have tried harder to reconfigure nokia messaging) and solved the problem.

In fact the new firmware brought a lot of improvements; no bugs at all except the not so clear and in fact not real necessary layout change for alarms, snooze , answering calls,etc., from standby, the "wiping/sliding" thing, but no biggy.

The problem is that many users or shall I say misusers, sometimes mess up and then they tend to blame the hardware or the software and so i mean, the device and/or the firmware, and those are the ones that go shouting around at the forums.

Actually I didn't find any bug so far, the email problem was probably something I did but I solved it and the "sliding / wiping"  thing caught me by surprise cause the clue with the arrows was just  too subtitle for me ....well i'm getting old....but my relatively unexpensive 5800 kicks it !!

Perhaps you can make a list of bugs from the new firmware?

Ps. sorry for the spelling but english is not my first language.

Cheers

beto_nl

Nokia 5800XM

V 40.0.005

RM-356

Purchased in Holland

But made in ...Hungary??

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

stuarta99 wrote: I'm getting simliar problems, but mine seem to be related to the battery......
I have no battery problems at all. Actually in comparison with other smartphones around, mine 5800 does quite well even before I got some tips from the site allaboutsymbian.com

Just google: " How to make the Nokia 5800's battery last as long as possible "

and you will find the page

Good luck

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

ok ta, I will have a gander.

Had the same yesterday.  Fully charged at 7am. Probably sent half a dozen texts, no calls, bluetooth on but only connected to my car for 10mins.

4pm - 5 bars left.  8pm - 3 bars left, 10pm - 1 bar left

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well read a couple posts and I am already doing what they say

• Screen brightness almost on minimum
  • Always lock screen
  • Always fully charge
  • Never turn off
  • Never any other apps running
Mainly seems to be worse since the latest software, before that I got 2 days out of it.

Please use plain text.