Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can't update

Counsellor
beto_nl

Re: firmware problem Battery issue

stuarta99 wrote:
Mainly seems to be worse since the latest software, before that I got 2 days out of it.

If we take into consideration that some improvements that came with the new firmware, such as kinetic scrolling evrywhere (except main menu, application menu, browser), and performance improvements like a more responsive touch, etc., could demand more from the processor and system in general, and like this, draining more energy from battery , that means maybe it's not necessarily a bug.

If you are more satisfied with the previous firmware, and you are able to safely re-install it so that could be a choice. That's not an option for me, I wouldn't change the kinetic scrolling for a better battery performance, since i am not 100% sure about this issue and I already bricked one device in the past ( windows mobile though) exactly by customizing the firmware.

You should ask other more experience users like chanchan if they are also having problems with the battery. I hardly noticed, actually i started to pay more attention since you guys started to talk about it.

by the way  i have a car charger that came together with my external nokia gps receiver ( bluetooth) and that's always handy.....

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ljuba82

Can't update

Hi , I cant update to version 40, any1 knows why ?  got my phone purchased lagaly with 2 year warranty .. Im from Serbia. thank you

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Can't update

@stuarta - I did not notice any remarkable battery life lessening, but I never noticed the battery life before, since it depends upon usage. Mine is less than when I first got it simply because I regularly use Navigation on it now.

@Ijuba82 - if you got your phone through a contract with a network, you will not get an update unless the network approves it.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary

Hi , I cant update to version 40, any1 knows why ?  got my phone purchased lagaly with 2 year warranty .. Im from Serbia. thank you

Same as all the other replies   two billion and one .

When your product code has the new firmware released you get it .

jje

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
zoro06

jje, what's your product code ?

-you can show appreciation to my posts if it helped or useful by pressing the green Kudo star beside my post that hepled :smileyhappy:
-if my answer was the solution , so click accept as solution button
Started From Nokia 3310 , Now with Nokia N97 v.22.0.110 + N900 PR1.2
Please use plain text.
Advisor
D161741_R3417Y

Re: firmware problem email mailbox

[ Edited ]

To Stuarta99

I'll add one to that list. If you aren't using HSDPA or 3G services such as any web browsing acitivities, & your only playing games or listening to Music, I suggest switching your phone to GSM Mode, this will believe it or not give you extra uice. You could also switch the phone into Flight Modem , thereby switching of the modem completely. They say "Every little helps"  Also tips for playing music, use e aac+ or mp3 128Kbps, this will get you closer to that hyped 36 hourse playback. It's all strain on processor, memory & therefore battery life.

Computers must be male. As soon as you commit to one you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have obtained a better model. In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on. Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the day.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

Re: firmware problem Battery

D161741_R3417Y wrote:

To Stuarta99

I'll add one to that list. If you aren't using HSDPA or 3G services such as any web browsing activities, & your only playing games or listening to Music, I suggest switching your phone to GSM Mode, this will believe it or not give you extra uice. You could also switch the phone into Flight Modem , thereby switching of the modem completely. They say "Every little helps"  Also tips for playing music, use e aac+ or mp3 128Kbps, this will get you closer to that hyped 36 hourse playback. It's all strain on processor, memory & therefore battery life.

RIGHT ON!

Just tested it, 3G on, makes a big difference on battery life!

Because I don't have a data account and if I want to do some web browsing or check emails,etc., I use a wifi connection, I have 3g disabled and that's probably one of the reasons I don't have a "battery life problem" .

If you do have a data account and don't want to be dependable only on WIFI for internet,

you could keep 3G disabled and just enabling it when necessary just like many do with Bluetooth.

Make a shortcut to "connectivity", making easier to disable or enable 3G when needed

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

ok I've just switched off the 3G, although I'm pretty sure I was never connected to it anyway as I haven't got a 3G simcard, but will see what happens.  I never play music on it......yet anyway

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

firmware battery problem

Not really sure about 3G simcards. The simcard I use dates from the time where 3G was not yet available for phones, and I get to connect to 3G.

Also, if 3G is on, it doesnt matter if you have a 3G sim card or not. The phone searches for 3G signals. This is in fact most battery consuming when the phone constantly tries to search for a signal even when there is none.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yep, normally with my company handsets, E71's and so on, you get a 3G icon and I need to swap out older sims for new ones.

I'll test this anyway to see what it performs like over weekend.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
beto_nl

stuarta99 wrote:

ok I've just switched off the 3G, although I'm pretty sure I was never connected to it anyway as I haven't got a 3G simcard, but will see what happens.  I never play music on it......yet anyway

It doesn't matter which simcard you have or if you do or don't have a data account.

If 3G is on, it's searching for signal and consuming battery.

Just like Bluetooth, if it's on it still consumes battery, even if it's not connected to other device.

Nokia 5800XM
RM-356
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

ok well been on for 9 hours now and still max battery since charge last night

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
n1354623

Re: Nokia 5800 V40.0.005 Firmware Problem

Dear Friends When i started to update my NOKIA 5800 , the update bar reached 110mb of 141mb of updating about75% then it stopped and gave me a fail mesage. I've tried several times to update my 58800 software to VER40 again but it will start from 110mb and then will stop and show again the fail message. Please help me.

Please use plain text.
kislam

Nokia 5800 V40.0.005 Firmware Problem

I am having call quality problems ever since i updated to firmware v40.0.005

what happens is when a call is connected, for about 30 seconds i cannot hear what the other party is saying, although they can hear me. after that i can hear them clearly. it might happen more than once during a call. it is not a network issue since i do not have this problem with other phones in the same network, calling from the same location. i also noticed that when this problem happens the network strength indicator falls to almost zero.

someone pls help

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

@n135.... - you can have your phone updated in a Nokia Care Center. Its free if you're still under warranty.

@kislam - try to reinstall firmware. It may have been that a software script was erroneously written during update.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
ankit_jain_7

Alarm does not go off in lock mode.

I am unable to unlock my mobile while alarm rings..

Its really sucking.

-Ankit

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

With regards my battery, I've found that all the time I'm in work, 7-5 the battery is full.  Within say an hour of being home, even though phone isn't used, the battery can drop to 4 bars and 3 by 10pm.  I therefore charge it every night.

I had noticed over the weekend that while charging, it stops flashing after about an hour, but with this, the battery died again in a matter of hours.

This is all with 3G off, brightness on minimum, bluetooth on but hidden, a couple of texts, maybe 10mins of wifi browsing and hardly any calls.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Try it with bluetooth switched off all together,

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
zoro06

@  ankit_jain_7 :

watch this :

V.40 ... how to answer a call

-you can show appreciation to my posts if it helped or useful by pressing the green Kudo star beside my post that hepled :smileyhappy:
-if my answer was the solution , so click accept as solution button
Started From Nokia 3310 , Now with Nokia N97 v.22.0.110 + N900 PR1.2
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Right I did switch off Bluetooth yesterday, and I'm still on full battery on the start of the 2nd day.

It does therefore seem that it's the bluetooth that's draining it.  Problem is, I use it to connect to my car kit and I'm sure I won't remember connecting or disconnecting it everytime I get in and out.

Please use plain text.