Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006

Advisor

Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006

I propose to discuss the new firmware v51.0.006 in this topic. At last the update is available through FOTA and NSU. Here I what I noticed

1. Overall speed improvement

2. Kinetic scrolling is better

3. Touch vibration bug - fixed

4. (Bulgarian and possibly other language versions) - Ovi Sync's localisation is fixed

5. RDS bug is not fixed - shame on Nokia - three consecutive firmware updates - all introduce the same bug. Remember, RDS should be a core function, and Nokia 5800 is advertised as having RDS.

Please use plain text.
Professor
nagendranr24

While using ovi store mobile website,after the browser switches to fullscreen mode,when i try to comeback to normal mode,the options and back buttons disappear!! My firmware is v51 and it used happen in v50 too.i thought nokia would've solved this issue as the official changelog said 'improved browser'.i'm disappointed.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

The phones speed with v51 feels really nice but with such bugs as missing RDS I hope that Nokia will bring another update.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
krizanand

RDS works like a charm for me here, infact this update has resolved the RDS problem, are you people sure the station you are listening supports RDS?

If a reply has solved your problem click Accept as solution button, doing it will help others know the solution. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

[ Edited ]

100% sure! All Stations here in Germany support RDS. You did a Hardreset after you updated and where do you live?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

For me RDS is not working. In contrast to v50 now the RDS sign doesn't light up.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Battlebird

RDS and AF Sign lights up here but RDS is definitely not working.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
S3For5800XM

RDS and AF Sign lights up here but RDS is definitely not working.

same for my 5800.

is it diffucult to solve this problem? i dont so.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
shadowninty

No new Ovi MAps
Screw you Nokia
Android FTW
EU FTW
Please use plain text.
Advisor

just updated..

the vibration is now the best i've seen- it doesn't "vibrate" actually, but gives a very good "press" feel!!

the kinetic scrolling in applications menu is smooth now- and previously while scrolling a particular icon got highlighted- thats been resolved.

the rds bug's still there...but overall i find it was worth it !!

thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
nagendranr24

I find kinetic scrolling in music player has a reduced speed as well as sensitivity as compared to v50
Please use plain text.
Advisor
shadowninty

Can't wait to get an Android *sigh*
EU FTW
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pizzaface

Just updated and the process was quick and easy. No problems. But STILL no RDS. Why ever not??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
krisq

shadowninty wrote:
Can't wait to get an Android *sigh*

Go get it. Buh bye.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
AnUkE

i also noticed that the phone dosnt vibrate when you unlock it  is dat jus me or any one else got dat as well and the RDS  works fine for me btw so maybe tis jus ur unit

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
ITEXNZ

Re: Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006 (RDS)

Your RDS may only be working if you are also using a bluetooth device connected to the phone. When bluetooth is not also being used, I believe all users (including myself) have no RDS functionality in the radio application, i.e. no automatic radio station names or other text information being broadcast on the radio frequency. Let us know if this is not the case and you have working RDS with this firmware without using BlueTooth.

-
If I've helped, please hit Kudos! I could do with a little kudos in my life.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

I got it, and I have more free RAM! LOL.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
YoungNokien

Works for me on 4 radio stations.

- Not using Bluetooth

- RDS sign on top right lighted up

- Radio station names displayed

I didn't know about 5800's RDS feature until today. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Shas_2000

Yes, I also noticed it .. From some 20 something the free RAM went up to nearly 45 MB. This can be one reason for the speed increase.  With Emoze and SPB shell also running I am able to maintain nearly some 35 MB free RAM.   As the SPB shell running, I also removed all possible widgets and wall paper from my default shell, that too would have saved some RAM.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Just updated my 5800 firmware to 51.0.006 and checked the offline search in maps. Low and behold it works much better. Just a few tests and it seems to locate streets without numbers but prefers a suburb. eg "Fort St" found Fortesque St  only while "Fort St Grange" found Fort St  at Grange! Prior to this, search generally found no results when offline.  The only cofusion I have is that my application manager says I have maps 3.04 installed but when I open the maps and check "about', it says v3.03wk13 etc... Anyway, having a search field that works offline makes me much happier!

Also have never had a problem with RDS and it still works.

I think the kinetic scrolling is a little less over sensitive, which is good!

All round improvement!

Please use plain text.