Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006

Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Re: Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006

@nagendranr - that's false information. Of course you can as long as its available for you. The firmware for different product codes is individually written for each product code, meaning that the OTA for the phone using v40 at the moment includes the files for the v50 features.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Professor
nagendranr24

Well.when i brought this phone,it was on v20 or something and when i tried to update by *#... first phone showed only v40 eventhough v50 was available then.after updating to v40 and checked again,it showed v50.then y didn't it directly jump to v50?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Because it was not initially available for you. Could be coincidence. But for him he said he CAN SEE v50 in OTA update, which means he can have it.
If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
devilshunter

hello
Please use plain text.
bertv

It would be nice if Nokia would create firmware versions with different languages. During my holiday in France this year mij N95 died so I had to buy a new one in France. Now I can't choose Dutch as language. You've to go to a Nokia carepoint and as far as I'm informed the languagepach is lost during an update. Why is this so difficult. Why can't I as user install a language pack. Even in a huge OS like Windows 7 it is possible to change the language without installing another OS. So come on Nokia it can't be so difficult. And why is your filesystem and directory structure so difficult to understand. It would be nice if for example the folder for SMS messages would be named the same. I lost a lot of messages on my N95 because I can not access the folders from my Computer ( it is still accessible bij USB )

Please use plain text.
rkvince

Hi,

how to update new version?? my phone still show v50. I checked for updated by pressing *#0000# and it shows no update. Even i searched via OVI, but it says no updates available for your phone

Please help me to update the latest version

Please use plain text.
Professor
nagendranr24

Google your product code and check whether update is available for you or not.update may not be available for all countries and product codes yet
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Pierrot

Re: Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006 (RDS)

[ Edited ]

I confirm that RDS is only working if you switch bluetooth on (On my phone at least). This is a plain bug as of course the RDS infomation does not come through bluetooth.

Thanks for the tip.

Please use plain text.
Nano317

Anyone from the USA?  I tried to update my Nokia 5800XM but it gives me the error that my carrier might not support the latest update....  Is there a way to bypass this?

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Sage
zebarnabe

Re: Nokia 5800 firmware update v51.0.006 (RDS)

About RDS.... i hardreset, reinstalled firmware and hardreset again... yep... Bluetooth needs to be on for RDS to work ... that is the weirdest bug i've seen on a firmware update... how it is possible that the RDS malfunctions since v30 and no one has fixed it.... maybe worse... the fact that before v30 it worked fine... 

I had done FOTA update to v51 and screen rotation detection was working properly (you didn't had to 'untilt' the phone to 90º for it to detect rotation ... after the resinstall went back to what it was...

Another thing i just noticed... after the hardreset - reintall - hardreset - sync contacts - install updates (except for Exchange) ... my mobile phone reboots randomly (not quite a reboot ... is more like interface restarts closing all apps - or none if there isn't a thing open - and restart homescreen)... quite epic... i don't even need to touch it... sometimes is within a few secs, others from hours to hours .... ... v51 is the worst update so far.... even the bugs introduced with v30 were not so critical... yes ... phone looks snappier... but speed and instability are rarely productive....

** Warning - massive rant ahead **

Yep... that's it ... i'll leave my 5800 at home till a new and proper firmware comes out... if ever ... instead i'll just grab my old dumbphone that is actually more reliable, even if battery only lasts a day... Nokia got into a new low with these firmwares (and by these i mean N97 and 5530 as well)... i wonder if they actually do extensive tests on real hardware for release versions... 

I can't understand how can it be possible to mess up a phone so well... What were firmware developers thinking?

Ever since i saw a E65 fail in a epic way (and was not mine) when was supposed to be a reliable enterprise phone, i started to doubt Nokia ability for making good phones ... even so i brought 5800 thinking that it would be a good phone ... now... well... if i knew it, i would just keep my money... no more Nokia phones ever.... no matter what...  and given how segmentation of mobile phones is... hmmm ... no more mobile phones for me whatsoever ... wanna talk to me and it's an emergency? Use email or a land line ... better yet... read the manual and solve the problem yourself (the CD tray is not a cup holder, OK?)... 

5800xm on a blender ... will happen sooner than expected.... v51 is a failure as an update .... v52 just postponed its fate....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
callan

Just updated and my findings:

1. Radio hangs frequently after update. Had to re-boot to get the radio working again!!! RDS still flaky.
2. Web browser does not re-flow anymore in magnified view when you change phone orientation.

These changes are regressive… not acceptable from a world-class company.

Anybody having these issues?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

1 good feature i noticed:

when using headphones, n a sms comes- the tome has an "ascending" nature. useful!!

but i've been having a strange problem. everytime i connect my phone to pc, the battery gets drained rapidly n d set becomes hot- even if the connection is for 1 minute only!

dnt knw tho whether its related to d firmware....

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
imzuhaib

hi,,,yes again no RDS function working..adn Radio freezes alot had to restart phon eto list radio again.A known issue by Nokia But they are least bothering the major issues and fixing minor ones..:smileymad:

Please use plain text.
Professor
nagendranr24

Sometimes the keypad freezes while typing texts.
The ambient light sensor has stopped working.
Any body experiencing the second problem which i said? Plz guys check increasing ur light sensor and tell me.i just have a week of warranty left!!
Please use plain text.
amitmaurya2010

I am facing a strange problem after upgrading to new firmware. The breathing white light keep flashing even if there are no missed calls and messages. I have also turned off the breathing light notification but no use.

Please use plain text.
RSHD

this my problem, when listen to music, the music player keep repeat song, i already off repeat, but its still repeat the same song.

already make hard reset but the problem still. any suggestion?

Please use plain text.
maha14

My phone keeps restarting regularly :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
magicwoody

From Germany, FW: 51.0.006

Radio freezes sometimes

RDS is NOT working. Listening for Minutes, good conditions, RDS Sign lights up, but no receiving of  Names, Infos etc. Noticed since FW 50...

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Grottie

Do all these software up dates actually make a difference? I mean when i got my 5800 xpress music it was brand new out the box yet it had major software problems! It cant tell the time (it loses about 3 minutes a week) it freezes when you open more than 3 applications and sometimes the screen goes black but has these multi coloured lights on the side then reboots! I tried every software up date yet none of the above mentioned have been resolved, in fact it opened more problems? one specifically which really IRRITATES me is the fact that after the V50 up date all my music was no longer in the music library, and every time i refresh the library it refuses to load any of my 400+ songs! I have to go to my file manager to listen to my music! Am I the only one with this problem? I'm really disappointed in Nokia! Why cant you guys for see these problems
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Yes it does make a difference. I dont know what firmware you are on, but firmware updates improve stability, add new features, and if you happened to have got an old stock 5800, you may have had really old firmware with a slower CPU running speed.
Please use plain text.