Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 5800 musicxpress software update

viggen79

Nokia 5800 musicxpress software update

Hi,

I am trying to update the software via Ovi Suite. Backup went ok but when it gets to install all that seems to happen is the device disconnects and after a few more attempts I get the display "preparing to install". 

Trouble is this runs for hours and nothing else seems to happen. Should the download take this long or should I uninstall Ovi suite and reinstall?

I am from the UK.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

@viggen79

Welcome to the forum!

No, it certainly shouldn't take very long and luckily you have presumably been left with a working non-updated phone. Gather that no option to update FOTA by going to Menu > Applications > SW update upon device?

You don't say what version of Windows you are using here, but if application has not completed installation correctly it will probably keep repeating this process unfortunately.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
viggen79

Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

I'm running windows xp on my pc and the nokia software is v31.0.101 which I assume is ancient.

Uninstalled OVI ansd associated Nokia programmes and reinstalled. This time I disabled the firewall and turned my virus software off as that has also become very aggressive recently but that's another story.

Same problem persists, update process gets to stage 3 but stays at "preparing to install" for hours. End up having to turn off pc as OVI wont let me exit.

Iv'e tried Menu>Applications but there is no SW update on device! Nearest I can see is Menu>Applications>App.Update. Had a play around with that as there were 6 Apps waiting for download but all that happens is I get prompted to connect to internet using either Contract,PAYT or Business email which corresponds with the 3 access points in Settings>Connectivity>Internet. I assume Vodafone have set this up as they want more money from me, I haven't got a web browsing contract with them but that's another story.

I tried adding a new access point and somehow managed to set up a WLAN connection through my wireless broadband. However it did not show up as an option to connect to the internet when I retried the App. Download. 

As my phone has been customised by Vodafone as it bears their trademark logo on the phone I assume they have tried to make sure that free browsing etc isn't an option. I will speak to  them tomorrow to see if they can send me another batch of settings!!

I'm surprised my WLAN is working fine but it did take quite a bit of fiddling about but it now connects in a flash without me having to re-enter the access code anymore!! I call that a RESULT but cant help feeling that Nokia have made things a bit too complicated and the reliability of OVI suit is a bit flaky too.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
bonitfranptrsen

my device settings is totally wrong
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
poochini21

Hi bonitfranptrsen,

Welcome to the forum! :cathappy:

Is this for a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic as well? Which specific device settings are you referring to? Are you also trying to update your phone's software? Just provide more details about your and the Nokia online community is ready to assist you. 

We'll wait for your response. :cathappy:

Final Banner
Please use plain text.