Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 6120 classic When new Firmware?

Advisor

The battery in 6.51 still sux... I'm now downgrading to 5.11...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Well, looks like I will also downgrade to 5.11.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

My phone died trying be downgraded (just one forgotten check)... But I brought him life again. :smileyhappy: Well, that phone can't die. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.

guys how do you do you downgrade the firmware ?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Write me a PM. :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Hi to all. V.6.01 has another bug: after using clock alarm in off mode mode, after digiting pin the date goes next 24h (next day).

I'd like to downgrade to 5.11...

Please use plain text.

May someone tell me how to downgrade from 6.01 to 5.11 plz?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
mccbleue

There is no way provided by Nokia to downgrade software. A Nokia service point might be able to do it, but they may not be permitted to do it.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, I'm the latest victim of firmware 6.01. I wish I'd seen this thread before updating. Silly me, I trusted Nokia to test a firmware update before inflicting it on the public. :-(

I updated from 5.11 with NSU when the PC suite software invited me to do so.

Now battery life is about one quarter of what it was with 5.11.The phone doesn't last a day of normal use any more. Before it could last 2-3 days.

My s60 native (i.e sisx) programs can't access the internet anymore. Youtube, Google maps etc all fail with a "cannot connect" message. Java programs (e.g. Google mail, opera mini) do still work OK but I don't dare use them as it now drains the battery so fast. 

Nokia maps doesn't work at all any more. Fails to load with a "not enough memory" error. It worked fine before the 6.01 update.

I want to go back to 5.11. If I end up having to buy a new phone because of this update (which looks pretty likely) it won't be a Nokia.

Well done Nokia. This update completely destroyed any goodwill I had towards your company.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
hotshotbg

I'm using the firmware 6.01, I don't like it but everything works ok with .sis files.

Did u try to format the phone and starting from clean firmware? Using the " * 3 and green button method " format the phone and then reinstall the firwmare with Nokia Software Update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
OK. Got around the failed to connect message by deleting all my access points and recreating them. Nokia maps I also had to delete and reinstall and it now seems to work. Battery life problem still there. Since taking the phone off the charger this morning the battery gauge has dropped two bars in 4 hours (with no calls). Again on track to be empty before the end of the day.
Message Edited by drbob on 15-May-2009 12:33 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hotshotbg

Well if you haven't made calls then switch your phone to GSM network only, not Dual Mode - in Settings, Network. The firmware is not good but it's not that bad. Just needs lots of minor fixes.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wish I could do that but I'm on the 3UK network. They only own a 3G network and rent 2G capacity from Orange UK for areas with no 3G coverage.

As customers on rented 2G cost them more than customers on their own 3G network, if you lock your phone to GSM they notice after a few days and disconnect you. I'm planning to leave the 3 network though, so may just put up with this until I switch.

Message Edited by drbob on 15-May-2009 07:27 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

More problems:

• The packet data stack is less reliable

Phone now often gets into a state where it cannot create a packet data connection. Packet data (either 3G or GPRS) works fine for a while after phone boot up but once a packet data connection has been created and dropped a few times the phone suddenly cannot create any more connections, I get "packet data not available, check network services" error or "web connection timeout" error. Restarting the phone fixes this for a short while until it fails again.

I remember occasionally getting similar errors on firmware 3.7, but never had this problem on firmware 5.11

• Bluetooth stack hangs.

I use my phone as a modem via Bluetooth. This worked fine with firmware 5.11 Now with firmware 6.01 after 10 to 20MB of data transfer the Bluetooth stack hangs. Phone still thinks it is connected but no communication is possible. Switching Bluetooth on and off on the phone has no effect - computer cannot reconnect to phone. Only way to work around the issue is to power cycle (restart) the phone.

Message Edited by drbob on 18-May-2009 01:50 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Why it takes so long to release the new Firmware 6.51? Nokia we are waiting!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
hotshotbg

Don't rush them - maybe they will fix something this time? :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I flashed phone to 5.11 (no brand) and all my problems were solved.

The alarm date it's ok.

The duration battery it's longer than 6.01.

The blutooth it's ok.

I will not do other update on this phone  :manvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Like you, I'm not satisfied fully with the firmware 6.01. Although, I can live with the 'negatives' since I installed a freeware application Jbak TaskMan. (One important comment: I do not want to 'promote' this software, I just want to give you a possible solution!) I haven't done anything with it, this sw just runs in the background (!) but since then, my battery lasts much longer, approximately 5-6 days! (Instead of 1-2 days...)

Hope that it helps for you as well. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

I'm using Jbak TaskMan, and my battery lasts 2 days. With 5.11 fw it lasted 3 days at least. Could U please explain to me how can that software prolong your battery life if it just sits in the background. Maybe I'm missing something.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

To be honest, I do not know... Jbak TaskMan starts automatically, every time when I switch on the phone and runs in the background. It's strange but if I stopped this application my battery life was dramatically decreased to 1-2 days. (I have tested it several times. For example, on last Saturday I exit from Jbak TaskMan accidentally and yesterday I didn't understand that why my phone tells me that the battery is low...)

This 'solution' maybe works only for my 6120c? Well, it would be nice if it can be applicable to every of our phones.
(It might be important: my phone's code is 0552676 and I'm using firmware 6.01)

If someone has more info regarding this issue, please don't hesitate to share with us!

Please use plain text.