Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 701 FP1 update, is it better to use noki...

Contributor
al456

Nokia 701 FP1 update, is it better to use nokis suite to updat or use the mobile itself via wifi?

Can i have your opinion please which way is better to update the mobile, or both methods will be the same?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
aspergerguy

Re: Nokia 701 FP1 update, is it better to use nokis suite to updat or use the mobile itself via wifi

@al456

I would always advocate updating via mobile as less likely to go wrong by applying incremental update and not leave you with 'bricked" device, but have seen rare intances when it can still be necessary to re-install using Nokia Suite as has not been fully implemented by FOTA method of updating.

That said for some product codes updates may not be available from both sources at first.

Happy to have helped forum with a Support Ratio = 42.5

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Nokia 701 FP1 update, is it better to use nokis suite to updat or use the mobile itself via wifi

In my personal experience I used the FOTA procedure a couple of times and I've been disappointed in both of them. So,according just to my personal experience, I wouldn't advise it.

Moreover, when you use Nokia Suite or NSU, you get a warning about backing up/restoring your data. Updating over the air doesn't seem to do this and goes over your old software, resulting in possibly corrupted apps (so, I think it's not advisable to do FOTA Update to a phone that didn't undergo the *#7370# reset BEFORE).

In my personal experience, the best sequence would be:

0 - synch your contacts/messages/agenda/multimedia files by means of Nokia Suite. You will use the same to restore data on your phone later.

1 - back up everything - you won't use this backup to restore BUT you never know...

2 - remove SD Card, if any, and format it

3 - delete mass memory (if any) using some good file browser

4 - do a deep reset with *#7370# (not three-finger salute that would delete useful apps)

5 - BEFORE restoring anything, UPDATE phone by means of Nokia Suite or NSU (I did it several times and still can't understand which one is better)

6  - resynch your contacts/messages/multimedia files/agenda using Nokia Suite (DO NOT restore settings and applications)

7 - now you can reinsert your blank SD Card, reinstall apps and reload data by hand - not by means of a restore.

I tried to cut corners restoring data from a backup, and sometimes even settings/applications... it NEVER went right, and I NEVER got my phone as it was when I backed it up, so I can't recommend using backup/restore procedure. Don't know why...

Just my personal experience, anyway. I might have been doing something wrong, since I'm not a Nokia technician...

cheers

m

Please use plain text.
Contributor
t_701

Doesn't matter what I use over the air or Nokia suite it allways tells me that there is no update for my phone.

What on earth I have to do to finally get FP1 ???  Can it be downloaded from somewhere??

my product code:    059M3V8

software version:111.020.0307.380.01

model: 701

thanks

Please use plain text.
Employee
magovoru

Hi t_701,

You can check the latest SW updates for your device here: http://europe.nokia.com/support/product-support

Cheers,
Marina
Nokia Suite team

Click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
t_701

Link that you provided clearly says that latest softvare is: 112.010.1404

But still when I connect via Nokia Suite and look for software updates its tells me no update available... same thing when I check update on the phone

Am I missing something here or....?

I just don't get it 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
farby

Availability of Update depends on Product Code / Region. Also, for Network locked devices, update is possible only aftyer an approval from the Operator. As per this, even if Nokia has released an update in 'general', it is NOT necessarily for YOUR Device. You need to wait and keep on checking thru' both the channels of release, namely Nokia Suite and FOTA.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
al456

Hi Mario

I am willing to follow your steps however i am not sure what you meant by "not three-finger salute that would delete useful apps" can you explain that please?

Thanks also to all who participated to this thread for their valuable opinions.

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
tiny_chef

Re: Nokia 701 FP1 update, is it better to use nokis suite to updat or use the mobile itself via wifi?

Please use plain text.