Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte

Advisor
Accepted Solution

Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte

Hi,

I just bought a Nokia 8800 sapphire arte (brown) phone which I can see from the back side is:
Type: RM-233
Model: 8800e-1
Code: 0556141

I have several questions about this phone:

1. Before having this phone, I also had a sirocco. And the back side contains "nokia 8800 sirocco" but here it is only "8800e-1" => is this a real Nokia 8800 Shappire Arte?

2. When I type *#0000# I got " Nokia 8800e-1 V05.22 20-12-07 RM-233". From the link of Nokia, I see there is newer version for this: v7.x.x I already tried to download the software update but I could not make this work. The nokia software always shows: could not find attached phone (but I really connected the phone to my laptop via supplied usb cable). Did I do anything wrong or this is not a phone from nokia so the software could not recognize?

I really hope you could help me to discover my problems. You replies are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte

The innards for the 8800 Sapphire Arte, Arte and Carbon Arte are the same, which is why Nokia doesn't print the "commercial" model name on the product label.

The product code 0556141 seems genuine and RM-233 is indeed the model number of the 8800 A/SA/CA.

If this is a fake then the makers have gone to great lengths to make it look real.

When you connect the phone are you given the choice of several connection modes? You should have "PC Suite", "Mass storage" and a couple others (I forget what exactly on a S40 phone). You should choose "PC Suite". If you're not given the choice you must go into your USB settings and set the phone to ask each time you connect. You can probably achieve this with a "revert to factory default settings". Note that this will not erase any data of yours, it'll just reset the phone's settings to their factory defaults (thenes, ringtones etc.). From the standby screen, enter *#7780#. If you are prompted for a lock code, that'll be the default 12345 as on all Nokia phones unless you've changed it.

Also, PC side, uninstall absolutely everything related to Nokia (PC Suite, Software Updater, Cable driver etc.), download the latest versions from the Nokia website and install those.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Advisor

Hi grschinon,

First of all, thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, When I connect the phone I have 3 options:
1. USB Storage
2. Webcam
3. Comport

I already tried 3 of them but It does not work. I am sure that I already installed the latest version of PC Suite from Nokia.

There is no "PCsuite" option :smileysad:

I tried to restore factory settings but the code 12345 is not correct. I also tried *#7780# but it does not work. Any other way that I could restore to the factory settings?

I am very sad that I could not update my firmware :smileysad: with this great looking phone :smileysad:

Thanks.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Right. You have a fake Nokia.

No genuine Nokia has a "webcam" or "comport" option in the USB connectivity.

*#7780# works on all genuine Nokias.

Your phone is not recognized by PC Suite or NSU because it isn't a Nokia phone. It's a Chinese knock-off.

Sorry :smileysad:

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Advisor

**bleep**, I bought a fake phone :smileysad: I just tried with another Nokia genuine, the code *#7780# works fine :smileysad:(

Thanks anyway.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Do you have no recourse?

If it was sold to you as a Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte, which it clearly isn't, then you should be able to get your money back unless you bought it from "Fraud Central" (aka eBay). Buying something off eBay is no better than doing the same transaction in a back alley somewhere. Elsewhere you might have some luck. Still, if you don't ask you don't get!

Advisor

Hi,

Yes, I bought it from Ebay but now I could not contact the seller. He has not answered anything.

Thanks for your advices.

So bad luck :smileysad:
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

A couple of things might still be possible.

First, check the ad up on eBay if it's still there. If there's no indication in it that the phone being sold might be a replica rather than the genuine object, or if the photos don't match what was shipped to you but there's no clause saying that, then you have been defrauded purely and simply. Go to a Nokia Care Point and ask them to certify that the phone with your IMEI number is not a genuine Nokia device. Send that off to eBay pointing out that the article was being sold as a genuine Nokia. In other words, you have proof that the article shipped was not the article advertised and if you paid with PayPal then buyer protection should apply.

Secondly, if the seller is in the same country as you, but only if there was no wiggle room for a replica in the ad, then notify law enforcement.

Thirdly, just name and shame. Put up a web page somewhere (blogspot.com, wordpress,com and similar) and describe your experience.

Finally, although I expect you've already done this, leave negative feedback about the seller/fraudster. eBay sellers can no longer hide negative feedback about themselves so anyone looking at the track record of this seller will see what's happened. This said, I expect the same seller has moved on to a new eBay profile now.

Mobile Visionary
viper

out of curiosity, how much did you pay?
Blackberry Bold
Sage
gadgetdude

If you paid via PayPal / Credit Card, most of these payment methods are covered against possible fraud.

Check with eBay reporting procedure making sure you log a claim against the seller and then with your payment method provider.

Gadget
Remember to mark all correctly answered questions as Solved. A forum is only as great as the sum of its parts, together we will prevail.
Mobile Visionary
rich_enduro

14-Oct-2008 12:23 PM
grschinon wrote:

Secondly, if the seller is in the same country as you, but only if there was no wiggle room for a replica in the ad, then notify law enforcement.

i echo this, report it to the police and get a crime number, then pass that onto ebay. that way, ebay will know how serious your taking being sold illegal goods off there site!

Nexu 5

Advisor

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses:

> grschinon: he removed the ad, I tried to contact him from US but he has not responded any emails to me. I will do as your advices. Thanks man.

> viper: 800$ :smileysad:

> gadgetdude: Thanks

> rich_enduro: Thanks.

So sad :smileysad:
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

14-Oct-2008 06:03 PM
rich_enduro wrote:
i echo this, report it to the police and get a crime number, then pass that onto ebay. that way, ebay will know how serious your taking being sold illegal goods off there site!

The fake phone in itself isn't an illegal product, more's the pity. However, the sale becomes fraudulent and therefore illegal if the ad stated categorically that the phone being sold was a genuine Nokia 8800 Sapphire Arte. If there was any indication in the ad that it might be a replica being sold then I'm afraid the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Mobile Visionary
viper

how long ago since you bought it?

is the seller still trading on ebay?
Blackberry Bold
Advisor

Hi,

> grschinon: Yes, I just reported to paypal through ebay.

> viper: I received the item after 3 weeks. So on my hand for 2 days. He is not trading anymore on ebay.

Thanks
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Good luck! I hope you get this sorted out and the criminal put behind bars!

Don't raise your expectations too high though. If PayPal can't get the money off the seller, you won't get it back yourself. I believe you also have to return the phone, in which case you no longer have evidence of the fraud and therefore cannot take legal action.

Advisor

Hi grschinon,

Yes, I already reported my issue to paypal...waiting for the seller.

Thanks.
Registered Member

Hi,

Can you tell me the seller name? I am bidding on the nokia 8800 carbon arte right now on eBay? When I read you situation, I am so nervous about the bidding. Please let me know the seller name. Where did your phone come from? china? hong kong?

Thanks
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

The 8800 Carbon Arte normally has a price tag of just over £1000. If it's going for much less than that and especially if there are only stock photos rather than pictures of the actual phone being sold, then run like the wind. There's a 99.9% chance it's a fake being sold.

Contributor

I have a genuine Arte but still can not get it to update from version 6.40 to 9.41.

It shuts down the phone then white screen with "Test mode" appears for about 10 seconds before phone boots up and i get Software Update Failed and the phone continues to function as before.

The phone works pretty well bet every now and then something gets screwed up relating to bluetooth i think causing the battery to run down really quick.

Any further ideas would be appreciated as i have trawled through hundreds of posts looking for a fix with no luck so far.

The search function on this forum does not seem to find anything!!