Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Belle Australia

Advisor
sdn97
Accepted Solution

Nokia Belle Australia

I'm really disappointed on how I (and everyone else this affects) have been treated by Nokia with regards to software updates. I know these are optional from Nokia, but this is par for the course in today's technological age if Nokia want to keep consumers from straying away.

I owned the disaster N97 which cost me over $1000 here in Australia which Nokia completely abandoned therefore abandoning N97 customers. If that wasn't bad enough, Nokia release an update for the mini once again disregarding the original - this left a very sour taste in my mouth. I did however go and buy a N8, thinking that this should be all good, considering the re-writing of Symbian to support touch screen devices. Anna upgrade was good, although the rollout was disatrous (common theme here???).

This brings me to Belle. The long awaited overhaul which Symbian should have been long before now. After waiting since I personally heard about this planned update I though, great, this will do me until its time to upgrade again. Then the bombshell: No planned update for Australia due to technical difficulties. Whoever decided this within Nokia should be sacked immediately. Then the greatest backflip: We are please to see the interest......etc. Now it's coming (or is it??)

In today's mammoth technological age, software updates should be accessible, easy, routine and above all else, informative. Nokia's apparent policy on "tell the punters as little as possible" is plainly not good enough. If one person or many (as in this forum) asks about a software update for whatever device, a simple enough answer should be given; not a generic response, one that Nokia is now unfortunately famous for.

Nokia, it's time for a massive change in policy with regards to how you communicate software updates, much like the massive change in direction you forced on consumers when it was announced that Nokia was partnering with Windows Phone (in my opinion because of Nokia's complete inability to wake up and invest properly in Symbian).

I for one, am really p****d off about the extra wait we here in Australia have to endure for the Belle update. Answers need to be given about this: cue in Skyee or Kerttu. Not generic answers, real answers about what exactly is going on and why it's taking so long. I have also read about missing features/widgets from the current release of Belle - I can definately say that I'm not surprised to see things like this occur with a Nokia software update. It's also disappointing that these things happening are becoming par for the course with Nokia, again without any communication to the customers. It is my very strong opinion that Belle for generic N8, E7 etc handsets should be released asap, with the Carriers firmware coming as soon as practicably possible. Look towards the Canadian example if any doubts exist.

Nokia Australia seem to be highly dysfunctional and disorganised and to me, look like a rogue element of Nokia. If I were Elop, I would be prioritising the overhaul of Nokia Australia, personally apologising to the Australian customers and fast tracking the Belle update with full transparency.

In terms of updating, I like the Nokia 808 but I will not be buying one (and won't be surprised if it's not released in Aus) and not only that, Nokia have now lost me as a customer due to the Belle **bleep** up in Australia. The Lumia range does not interest me in the slightest and furthermore, Nokia Australia's descision to release the 710 and 800 is a joke, considering that the push towards LTE connectivity is now happening. Undoubtedly, Nokia will release a Lumia phone capable of LTE connectivity, which then make the 710 and 800 obselete; they'll do it in Nokia Australia style, sell you a 710 or 800, then release the LTE phone a month or so later.

So what has Nokia got to look forward to? In my opinion, a loss of customers here in Australia and a reputation not deserving of what Nokia could have been capable of. All you have to do is look at how many Nokia handsets are sold via Carriers now: not many.

Anyhow, that is the end of my rant, thanks for reading.

PS: responses from Nokia would be grand (not holding my breath though).

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Couple of things I would like to say here. You are absolutley correct about the lumia 710,800, they do have a lumia with LTE, called the lumia 900. And for whatever ridiculous idea they have made this phone for the USA and canada only. But to me this just goes to show how far behind and out of touch Nokia are to Australia and the carriers, With all carriers now having 4G LTE services running and most capital cities already covered along with some regional areas, Why would you even bother to dump a phone on to this market that is not 4g LTE compatible, if you are out to make sales.

The other thing that i would like to mention this time in defence of nokia australia, the belle incident was not of their doing in the beginning. Nokia Australia are run by Nokia asia, who tell Nokia Aust only what they want them to be told. It was Nokia australia that had to take our angry calls initially, and did the right thing by recording our comments and making sure that the people who make the decision found out how displeased we were. Having said that the Nokia department that made the discriminative decision should be ashamed of themselves, and if you were to make this kind of mistake in the company i work for, you would have all been sacked on the spot. Obviously your bosses are tolerant of mistakes like this, pity you didnt show us tolerance when you discrimated against the whole country. Oh just so you know discrimation in this country by any person or business is illegal and punishable by the courts

In todays society a simple answer to a question is considered politeness, but when you refuse to answer that is down right rude and ignorant and arrogant. It is also a form of discrimation again.

Mr Elop, if you want your company to survive and start to make a real change to make it an efficient, effective, profitable company that it deserves to be then start to talk to us, find out for yourself what is going on in the other countries. Theres more to whole than just those places in the northern hemisphere. I challenge you to jump on the forum here and read some of the post and them PM some of us and ask us what we expect as customers. you might be surprised at the sensible, realistic responces you get. Ask us things like why we buy Nokia phones, what is it we like and dont like about the company and the way we are dealt with.

Oh and by the way, speed is not everything when it comes to a phone. I read the articles about the lumia contest in India. its what the phones do, that truely counts. Given a test a lumia against the E7, to see who could make a video call faster. The E7 will win everytime, due to the fact that the lumia 610,710,800 are all so far behind the times it cant even make a video call, something my old E90 could do, which was released some 5 years ago.

Whats so hard about saying "we are writing the australian version now" or maybe "we have finished writing belle for australia and are now in house testing". These sort of answers to our question are not going to jeapardise any form of secrets that might given a rival any information that they shouldnt have. It might however show them that you are a responsible company who cares about customer satisfaction and customer service. It might even make show them up as being bad at custoemr service. Right now however the only thing you are showing is how much better they are at customer service.

You need to change this, if you want to be the best again, you can be, just continue to build quality phones and learn how to provide customer service, its all about the conversation you have with your customers that will inspire confidence and respect from your customers. And this will then increase sales. you will never make it just by making good phones alone, you need that customer service side of it as well. Right now you have none

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Hear hear.. !
i wont be updating my Phones to another Nokia, until Belle is released.. I mean, who would want to buy my E7 or N8 with just Anna? Both are less than 18mths old.
Yep, a huge mistake by Nokia with this update oversight.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
jlangmaid

The worst bit of all this, is that nokia are too gutless to even come out with an explaination, or for that matter any communication what-so-ever. This is disgusting.

What could be such a big secret?

Can we have some assurance its still coming? People are starting to assume it is not.

Just like so many others, this is another long time Nokia supporter finding other alternatives.

Absolutly shocking!!!!
Please use plain text.
Employee
J_Lo_

Hi Everyone,

Please be assured that we will deliver on our promise to release Belle in Australia and New Zealand.  Our local team are working as hard as they can to prepare the release.  In the meantime, we appreciate your continued patience.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
fygjam

Begs the question. Why weren't they working hard 2 or 3 months ago?
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

fygjam wrote:
Begs the question. Why weren't they working hard 2 or 3 months ago?

Simple, its not their call, they are run by a regional office in asia. I have spoken to people in the australian office before and they are good people that do what they can for us. but when their H/O either doesnt give them the heads up about something, then they cannot be expected to know something before hand

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

Thanks J Lo,
But i also beg to question, why we were overlooked in the first place??
Extraordinary tactics..
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Paul_Grenfell wrote:
Thanks J Lo,
But i also beg to question, why we were overlooked in the first place??
Extraordinary tactics..

I remember being told that it was a marketing department decision. But i would love to know their reasoning behind it. As a way to say sorry to australia itself, i would like to suggest that Nokia and its marketing department perhaps look at sponsoring some youth based sporting groups, such as the junior lifesavers etc.

It will have several beneifts, firstly it helps groups that are usually very lacking in funding, secondly with a group like junior lifesavers, you are not only helping to save lives in future, but you are giving the kids a good head start into a healthy lifestyle. Secondly it will give Nokia good exposure, not only at beaches but on TV, radio and thru the clubs themselves. and lastly it will show everyone that Nokia are a company that take an interest and cares about lives in general. Thats my thoughts.

PS i'm not a surfer or lifesaver, however i do live not far away from the beaches and up our way we have had to many drownings of young people of late.

Just an idea.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vonjandl

It has been a month since the rest of the world have got Belle. Do we need to wait for another couple of months, like we did with the Anna?
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

I remember last year when anna was released that one of the E7's I had, its product code had been inadvertantly missed, when they rolled it out. Simple mistake, But even Anna had to setup for it individually, It took about 2 months approx for it to be given

So to be honest I would not expect Belle before that at least. So whilst its not our fault that it wasnt given with the rest of the world, there are still physical limitations in terms of time to needed to write belle to suit us, that simple cannot be changed.

More communication from kerttu would be good, but either way I think we all need to have some patience with the rolling out of belle here in Australia. We should be concentrating on what we can change, that is getting more communication from those that should be giving the communication in the first place, and making sure that the products we get out here suit what we have in infrastructure, such as LTE (4G).

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

New Zealand must be in the same Hell Hole as us, - "updates in planning "
They must have the same Nokia Dept working on their updates as is Australia.?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
XxWWWSAMxX

No, New Zealand got their Belle the day Belle was released. I dont know why they got it and we didnt, even though they so close to us.

Btw, NZ Belle works fine in Aus ;D
Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

apparently only some of NZ got it, I was told.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
rizt

Honestly, after reading the GigantiC list of features missing from Belle/removed from Anna, I'm not keen on Belle at all anymore. Not to mention the ridiculously unjustified wait for Belle, which just defies any logic at all.

I've been following up on the forums for the last few weeks and to be quite honest, it has been ever so frustrating seeing the massive posts of so many people, getting one line replies or no replies at all from Nokia.

In any case, couldn't take it any longer so had to vent out on here.

But yeah, jraduga, I would personally like to thank you and commend you for your presence of the forum and for being the voice of all Nokia customers, the ones who do post here and even the ones you don't.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

Paul_Grenfell wrote:
New Zealand must be in the same Hell Hole as us, - "updates in planning "
They must have the same Nokia Dept working on their updates as is Australia.?

Yes that seems to be the case, we are still waiting for Belle updates for NZ product code phones. The only people here I know who have updates have phones bought overseas or through local parallel importer retailers (and so have another country's product code).

In the past we have got updates very promptly, for instance I got Anna for N8 on the first day of its release. But it seems that Nokia talk of Australia/NZ in one voice now and so somehow we have become to be regarded as a state of Australia and are to suffer the long delays to update release due to "the Australian approach".

Hopefully NZ will soon align itself with a more technologically savy Nokia using country such as Bangladesh as they seem to get updates promptly rather than months down the track (if at all).

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

These codes have been released for the N8 already in NZ. Nokia Australia has looked after NZ for some years. And Nokia Australia is controlled by Nokia Asia h/office. So certainly some of NZ should have Belle, there are codes for E7's as well, but i didnt copy them across.

0599341: apac2_or_new_zealand

0599250: apac2_dg_new_zealand

059G150: apac2_pink_new_zealand

0599273: apac2_wh_new_zealand

Please use plain text.
Professor
j444lh

Hi jraduga,

Thats interesting, all those codes are still showing as "being planned" on Nokias availabilty site.

Initially they were "being created", then went to "awaiting approval" for a couple of days, then "planned" at the same time as they changed yours to planned.

Which means either the code had been written and then for political reasons withdrawn or the availability site is a load of "BS"

If your bored check out all the countries where it's available, the list goes on and on except for me and thee.

I did see one South American country where it wasn't going to be available at all, perhaps there are a lot of ex-pat diggers living there.

N95 (RM159) V31.0.017, N8 (RM596) Belle 111.040.1511
Please use plain text.
Professor
cataholic

jraduga wrote:

These codes have been released for the N8 already in NZ. Nokia Australia has looked after NZ for some years. And Nokia Australia is controlled by Nokia Asia h/office. So certainly some of NZ should have Belle, there are codes for E7's as well, but i didnt copy them across.

059G150: apac2_pink_new_zealand

Yes I was aware of the Nokia hierarchy - somehow in the past we did not seem to suffer from the Australian update disease though.

Of the product codes you list, do you know anyone that has been able to update using them via regular updating means?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Paul_Grenfell

There are no E7 Belle New Zealand or Australian codes available on servers yet.
Please use plain text.