Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Belle - EAP-PEAP authentication without ...

Advisor
ramany

Nokia Belle - EAP-PEAP authentication without Certificates

Its time for my half yearly bickering about the still non-support for EAP-PEAP authentication without server Certificates on Symbian Phone.

Here is my last thread begging for help from Nokia when Anna was released.

/t5/Software-Updates/EAP-PEAP-Authentication-without-Certificate-Is-it-fixed-in/td-p/1072133

My question remain the same.Does the new Nokia Belle support EAP-PEAP authentication without the requirement that a server certificate be present.

I have been living a life of ridicule and becomes an object of jokes and punchlines in office when it comes to the Phone that I carry. Lot of people now don't even know that there is company called Nokia. And when I tell them about it that say "Are you the guy carrying the phone that does not connect to our corporate network?".

If you read that earlier thread you know that none of the exotic workaround that some have been able to do, does not work with my office as our network administration has not installed any server certificate whatsoever on the access point.

I am fed of hearing from Nokia techs that this is supposed to be the secure and right way of doing things. When every other device, every smartphone, tablet, laptop supports this way of connecting to a EAP-PEAP access point why does Nokia has to keep this stance?

Nokia has kept everything open on the Nokia N8, it has everything that a anyone can ask for in a smartphone, so why is Nokia so adamant on this small matter of not requiring a server certificate?

Now that the WP7 line of Lumia devices are in the market can someone tell me if the problem exists on those phones too. I wont be surprised if this restriction is still there.

With Nokia going downhill so fast it does not help with this kind of attitude towards diehard Nokia followers.

Can someone from Nokia tech say once and for all if I can ever expect this thing to be fixed?

raman

Please use plain text.
pippofix

Re: Nokia Belle - EAP-PEAP authentication without Certificates

iphone works well in this case. Is unbelievable how nokia don't care about this simple issue. I can't use my n8 smart phone in my work network !!! I don't want to change my phone please fix this

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramany

[ Edited ]

pippofix wrote:

iphone works well in this case. Is unbelievable how nokia don't care about this simple issue. I can't use my n8 smart phone in my work network !!! I don't want to change my phone please fix this

Have you also become a subject of jokes and punchlines in your office?

Here are some of the classic ones that i hear all the time. Please feel free to add.

- Hey is that a feature phone you carrying....looks almost like a smartphone.

- Hey can you check the current weather...oh sorry yours dont connect to Wifi.

- Have you fianlly figured out how to connect to our network?

- How is the Stock market doing today...oh **bleep** you dont carry a real smartphone.

- Let see who's smartphone plays youtube faster.....Sorry you can't participate with your N8.

- Hey why dont you get a data plan...Does it not support that also.

- You want me to install a server Certificate just for you. Why dont you get a good feature phone.

- Is that a paper weight?

I should probably start a new thread just for the jokes and punchlines i am subjected to in my workplace just becasue i am unable to connect to my office network.

The N8 is so advanced compared to any of the iPhones and Andriods, but I am not able to gloat over those with anyone here. Whenever i try to showoff, i am abruptly cut but the now dreadful "Has it connected to our Wifi network".

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arnorjonsson

I would love for them to fix this, I cannot connect to the EDUROAM at my University which is okay because I have free data but wifi often is better and also sometimes the connection goes down to 2G, when you are deep inside the building or something.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
slvr32

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure that this thread has an appropriate title, but I agree that the lack of EAP-TTLS + PAP (as used by Eduroam) mauthentication support on recent Nokia smartphones seriously cripples their use on wifi networks, and this needs to be supported ASAP, or put another way... we've been waiting for this support for quite a while.

It just happens that my enterprise network also uses EAP-TTLS + PAP authentication, even though it's not actually used for Eduroam, but Eduroam will be added soon, and I'll have two wifi networks that I still can't use at work with my shiny new Nokia 700, or the N8 or E7 I had before that with Symbian Anna.

I've seen discussions for people using EAP/PEAP/MSCHAPv2 authentication successfully, but that still doesn't fix the EAP-TTLS + PAP situation.

Also, I just found a petition for older Symbian, but I think we need one for Symbian Anna and Belle to put these phones in legitimate smartphone standing...

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Post edited, link removed as we do not allow this type on advertising on the discussion board.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramany

[ Edited ]

What should be an appropriate title for this thread. There was an older thread for the same that i started six months back when Anna was released. So i this expecting something to happen with Belle.

If nothing happens I will probably start a new one when future updates to Symbian in Clara. Donna, Emma, Florina, Georgia, Hanna, Isabelle, Jenna, Kate, Linda, Marie, Nancy, Olivia, Patty, Quinn, Rita, Sabina, Terry, Uma, Vega, Wyome, Xandra, Yetta and Zoe are released.

I hope Symbian (Nokia) lasts that long, but the support of this comes in Belle.

I see no jokes yet...common guys.isn't anyone subjected to jokes because of this.

At least give me some so i can feed more to the one going around.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
slvr32

[ Edited ]

ramany wrote:

What should be an appropriate title for this thread. There was an older thread for the same that i started six months back when Anna was released. So i this expecting something to happen with Belle.

If nothing happens I will probably start a new one when future updates to Symbian in Clara. Donna, Emma, Florina, Georgia, Hanna, Isabelle, Jenna, Kate, Linda, Marie, Nancy, Olivia, Patty, Quinn, Rita, Sabina, Terry, Uma, Vega, Wyome, Xandra, Yetta and Zoe are released.

I hope Symbian (Nokia) lasts that long, but the support of this comes in Belle.

I see no jokes yet...common guys.isn't anyone subjected to jokes because of this.

At least give me some so i can feed more to the one going around.

Well, I believe the example of EAP-TTLS + PAP authentication isn't 'without certificates'... it does use certificates, but EAP-TTLS + PAP just doesn't happen to be a supported authentication method with recent Symbian phones.

I'm not any sort of wireless authentication guru, but there's probably a better, more precise description of the authentication support (probably a few methods) that's currently missing in Symbian.

And a couple more details for some wireless authentication methods... I believe Windows users typically have to grab a third-party 'securew2' utility to support some of the more robust (read better, more secure) authentication methods for some networks.

I think one of the more valid arguments for EAP-TTLS + PAP in general, is that I believe it may be part of the 'Eduroam' standard, although MSCHAPv2 may also be substituted for PAP, IIRC... but again, I'm not a wireless authentication guru.

In any case, if well-known, widely-implemented (or soon to be implemented, for good reason) authentication methods aren't supported in Symbian, it just makes Symbian just looks a bit ridiculous and irrelevant.

Your previous thread was quite good, and it may make sense to keep bumping that thread for updates periodically. I noticed that someone mentioned an MSCHAPv2 scenario in that thread, but again... that's not actually helpful for resolving EAP-TTLS + PAP support, and I think that there's probably a concise way to describe the current 'missing authentication methods support' in Symbian.

It continues to baffle me how Nokia seems to have such a quiet, secretive presence on these forums, when I think it would make much more sense to publicly acknowledge relevant threads/discussions, and make a statement about planned fixes, updates, etc... rather than just have people wonder if/when Nokia is paying any attention to the discussions here.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramany

[ Edited ]

While i agree the thread topic is not very straight forward but i was unable to get a short description of the problem to fit on the topic hadline.

Probably a headline like "Support for corporate Wifi networks"  would be short but too generic.

This particular thread was not intended to get a solution really, because there wont be a solution to this thing and the words are going to fall on deaf ears.

I always believe in innovative ways to get the attention. So i thought a collection jokes that a Nokia  loyal customer is being subjected to may bring forth some attention.

Nokia is already coming with more updates to Symbian now (when they have declared it dead) than they ever did during its heydays. Why dont they address this small issue that is been there since the dawn of days for Symbian.

Symbian is getting so good, maybe soon Nokia realizes that Symbian is the way to go and dumps WP7.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

Sorry to inform you but Symbian has been sold. It was sold some months ago to another company accenture. Accenture have stated that they wish to increrase the use of symbian in other areas, but this does not mean that nokia willl pick it up.

Thats part of the reason why Symbian Belle, is now called "Nokia Belle" Whether or not there are more updates to the N8/E7's etc after Belle is released remains to be seen. They have only stated that support for symbian will continue to 2016. Our phones wont last that long.

Maybe looking at the new lumia 800 and the 900( announced on the 9th jan 2012) will have the kind of things you require. Lumia 900 will even 4G, so maybe check that one out further. At least there will be updates for it.

Please use plain text.
micb7

Dear colleagues from Nokia will meet in court, if my Nokia C7 will not connect to the Internet by the EAP-PEAP without a certificate

Pozdrawiam

Michał

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ramany

jraduga...I know its Nokia Belle, se my first post.

I also know Symbian is sold to Accenture.. but the updates keep coming like clockwork and port Belle two more iterations are already in pipeline.

Nokia still has some say about what goes into the OS.

I am pretty sure the problem exists in the latest WP7 phones too.

The reason is simple. the problem existed in all previous Nokai phones and it shokingly also existed in previous generation Windows Mobile phones. I had a HTC Touch Pro 2 that sported the Windows Mobile 6.5 and that has the same issue. What are the odds that I end with two phones that have the same issue.

Anyway whats the point this is never going to be supported, its a dead end.

Please use plain text.
Professor
jraduga

ramany wrote:

jraduga...I know its Nokia Belle, se my first post.

I also know Symbian is sold to Accenture.. but the updates keep coming like clockwork and port Belle two more iterations are already in pipeline.

Nokia still has some say about what goes into the OS.

I am pretty sure the problem exists in the latest WP7 phones too.

The reason is simple. the problem existed in all previous Nokai phones and it shokingly also existed in previous generation Windows Mobile phones. I had a HTC Touch Pro 2 that sported the Windows Mobile 6.5 and that has the same issue. What are the odds that I end with two phones that have the same issue.

Anyway whats the point this is never going to be supported, its a dead end.

You are probably right.

In this world it seems that we all need certificates for everything, when it comes to networks,internet and anything else to do with computers.  M/S are big believers in certificates, so you probably find almost anything that anything to do M/S will require them.

Even tho certificates are not all they are cracked up to be these days.

Best of luck anyway

Please use plain text.
cismoski

I'm using EAP/PEAP/MSCHAPv2 for authentication without certificates, just login and password. I tested the nokia belle leaked version in my N8 and it didn't work. Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

Please use plain text.
pippofix

I've tried also using the correct certificate given to me by network admin but still doesn't connect :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi,

quick info on the original question. We have now an FAQ online:

Q: Does the Nokia Belle support EAP-PEAP authentication without the requirement that a server certificate is present?

A: Nokia Belle doesn’t support EAP-PEAP authentication without a server certificate.

BR,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Advisor
slvr32

skyee wrote:

Hi,

quick info on the original question. We have now an FAQ online:

Q: Does the Nokia Belle support EAP-PEAP authentication without the requirement that a server certificate is present?

A: Nokia Belle doesn’t support EAP-PEAP authentication without a server certificate.

BR,

yvonne

Where's the FAQ, and what sort of FAQ... for Belle?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
arnorjonsson

I was able to connect to the eduroam of my university (university of copenhagen). I have n8 with belle.
Network status: public

wifi network mode: infrastructure

wifi security mode WPA/WPA2

WPA/WPA2 : EAP

WPA2 only mode :smileysurprised:ff

select only EAP-TTLS

personal cert: not defined

authority cert: equifax secure certificate (in built in the phone)

username in use : user defined

username : my username at the uni

realm: nothing

TLS privacy off

select only EAP-MSCHAPv2

in there my user and pass

AND it finally worked, I was so happy. Hopefully someone can use it as well who has problems with eduroam.... 

Please use plain text.
pippofix

I've found the right certificate and works fine. If you have the right certificate it works,  the problem is if you are not able to regain the certificate from your admin. So if you wan to connect to your enterprise network go and ask the certificate to the admin they must have the certificate.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

ramany wrote:

Its time for my half yearly bickering about the still non-support for EAP-PEAP authentication without server Certificates on Symbian Phone. 

Not in Belle Refresh, but this is supported in Belle Feature Pack 2. If the certificate is unknown to the Nokia, you are asked whether to accept it like in Apple iOS. By the way, all those who believe they do not have a certificate in their PEAP deployment, please try a Apple iOS device first. It displays the server certificate in any case. For those still using Belle Refresh or an older Symbian release, you need that certificate (or better its authority).

Please use plain text.