Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Belle update for N8 on Virgin Mobile UK.

Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss
Accepted Solution

Nokia Belle update for N8 on Virgin Mobile UK.

For those of you who have an N8 from Virgin Mobile UK, the Belle update has been rejected by Virgin and sent back to Nokia and the testing team are awaiting feedback from Nokia. The update failed the testing procedure and will need to be fixed before Virgin approve it.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
jjkc

Re: Nokia Belle update for N8 on Virgin Mobile UK.

Well that's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard - I appreciate that there have been a number of complaints by people about belle (personally my experiences have been positive) but am I to assume that Virgin (a virtual network) are the only network (to the best of my knowledge) that have found something so grievously wrong with the Belle update that they had to reject it.

Many thanks for the information Ray - I guess my second N8 won't be getting it's belle update just yet

J

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

[ Edited ]

There are no specific details from Virgin as to why the update failed testing and I can only assume that it's most likely due to the problems with Flash videos not playing and the degredation of the camera (this has been mentioned by several people on these forums but I personally don't know for sure).

You are correct that Virgin are a virtual network that piggy back the T-Mobile/Orange network but, they have a responsibilty to their customers to provide mobile phones that work and are fit for purpose. Incidentally, Virgin Mobile recently rejected an update for the HTC Desire as it was deemed not fit for purpose.

Who knows, maybe the testing engineer is over critical or just having a bad day.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

rayhipkiss wrote:

There are no specific details from Virgin as to why the update failed testing and I can only assume that it's most likely due to the problems with Flash videos not playing and the degredation of the camera (this has been mentioned by several people on these forums but I personally don't know for sure).

You are correct that Virgin are a virtual network that piggy back the T-Mobile/Orange network but, they have a responsibilty to their customers to provide mobile phones that work and are fit for purpose. Incidentally, Virgin Mobile recently rejected an update for the HTC Desire as it was deemed not fit for purpose.

Who knows, maybe the testing engineer is over critical or just having a bad day.

Ray. 

Or maybe he's completely on the money.

As it happens, I have a Virgin Mobile Nokia N8 - so technically affected by their decision - but have to say, completely agree - from everything I've read, here, look and feel have changed, and possibly performance improved slightly, but at a significant cost of application loss, application failure or problems, plus significant impairment of the camera function - quite key, given the N8's main features.

Not to mention imposing v3.08 of maps.

Personally, I was convinced not to go with Belle, mainly for it's impact on maps - so there's a certain degree of not really being that bothered that Virgin have currently rejected it - but it has put a wry smile on my face.

I do wonder whether it's because it may have some significant impact on their value-add (their virgin media player app?) - all the same, whatever the reason, it's good to see that at least some providers are prepared to stick with their standards (whatever they may be).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'm personally glad they've sent it back rather than lumping it on to us. Hopefully, Nokia will address the issues raised by Virgin and re-release a properly working version. That being said, I'm still not going to bother updating to Belle. It's just not got me, whether it works or not.

I inadvertantly deleted that Virgin Media Player app last August, and haven't been able to find it anywhere for download. I would have thought it was part of the firmware, but re-installing the firmware via Nokia Suite didn't bring it back. But , you could be right given the issues with flash videos. Not only does the YouTube app not work but possibly the Virgin Player app, hence the rejection.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

rayhipkiss wrote:

I'm personally glad they've sent it back rather than lumping it on to us. Hopefully, Nokia will address the issues raised by Virgin and re-release a properly working version. That being said, I'm still not going to bother updating to Belle. It's just not got me, whether it works or not.

I inadvertantly deleted that Virgin Media Player app last August, and haven't been able to find it anywhere for download. I would have thought it was part of the firmware, but re-installing the firmware via Nokia Suite didn't bring it back. But , you could be right given the issues with flash videos. Not only does the YouTube app not work but possibly the Virgin Player app, hence the rejection.

All the best.

Ray. 

Like you, I was never going to apply it, anyways.

But I guess Virgin currently rejecting it, makes it less likely I'd accidentally let it apply (I like to think I'd be more careful, mind) and does make me smile.

My only concerns about it, really, being that I suspect it may cause some issues with app compatibility if I stick with Anna.

I'd like to have the Absolute Radio and / or Absolute 80s app on my phone, but I suspect OS / firmware compatibility issues are preventing that, now. I have the DAB headset, and can listen when I've got DAB reception, but it would be nice to be able to listen when I've got data access, but DAB reception isn't so great.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

I'm currently using the Nokia internet radio app to stream Absolute 80 's which I have saved as a home screen widget. I gave up on the Absolute radio app a long time ago due to streaming issues.

Ray.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

rayhipkiss wrote:
I'm currently using the Nokia internet radio app to stream Absolute 80 's which I have saved as a home screen widget. I gave up on the Absolute radio app a long time ago due to streaming issues.

Ray.

Is absolute 80s on the internet radio app, then? Thought I'd search for it, but couldn't find it - but if it's on there, that's brilliant.

I'll have a look see.

Thanks for the tip!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Hello Jaff0

If you do a search for Absolute 80s within the internet radio app  make sure you type exactly as I've just wrote i.e, without the apostrophe, otherwise it will return 0 results.

All the best.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.
jjkc

I take the point that others have made regarding the problems they've had with Belle, I guess given that Virgin have not rejected previous firmware upgrades (to the best of my knowledge, based on the fact they appeared on a timely manner) even when there have been problems remains a little curious - that said perhaps Virgin should be congradulated for putting their customers first. 

At this point I'm just curious to see if and how Nokia will respond, having spent a fair amount of effort promoting their "new and more solid" OS upgrade even if it's just a rejection from "little old" Virgin...in the meantime I guess I shall take this as an opportunity to test Anna and Belle side by side.

thanks again for the information

best wishes

J

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

rayhipkiss wrote:

Hello Jaff0

If you do a search for Absolute 80s within the internet radio app  make sure you type exactly as I've just wrote i.e, without the apostrophe, otherwise it will return 0 results.

All the best.

Ray. 

Thanks, Ray, found it.

Works brilliantly, no need for the app, now.

I also found it on my Android tablet using tune-in free internet radio app - which is also good, because on my current combination of rom and tablet, Android market wouldn't let me download the app.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Shredd1507

For those of you wanting to know - Nokia Belle was released on Virign UK network this morning and is available in the Nokia Suite.

Enjoy.

Please use plain text.
Sage
Jaff0

Shredd1507 wrote:

For those of you wanting to know - Nokia Belle was released on Virign UK network this morning and is available in the Nokia Suite.

Enjoy.

Or not, as the case may be.

Just a word of warning for those who've had to wait - truly consider whether you'll be happy and read the other threads of those having problems / issues / faults / bugs - because you can't easily revert (there's no supported way) - and don't let yourself be one of those who jumped for the newer, flashier, shinier OS, and then regret it afterwards.

Look before you leap.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
rayhipkiss

Jaff0 wrote:

Shredd1507 wrote:

Enjoy.

Or not, as the case may be.

Just a word of warning for those who've had to wait - truly consider whether you'll be happy and read the other threads of those having problems / issues / faults / bugs - because you can't easily revert (there's no supported way) - and don't let yourself be one of those who jumped for the newer, flashier, shinier OS, and then regret it afterwards.

Look before you leap.

Couldn't agree more.

Ray. 

Please use plain text.