Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Belle upgrade on N8 - Security Code erro...

robspencer1976

Nokia Belle upgrade on N8 - Security Code error

[ Edited ]

I have just upgraded to Belle software but now there is an annoying thing were i keep getting asked for a security code (which i hadnt used previously) on boot up, if you put the default code in it fails, but if you cancel you can still operate the phone normally.

Very odd....anyone have any fixes for this?

Ta!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ebenf

Re: Nokia Belle upgrade on N8 - Security Code error

Same problem here.

Eagerly waiting for feedback.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
death89

Same thing here, only I can't install apps either. Error message comes up saying "connection lost" while installing not while downloading, ah well reinstall in the morning...
Please use plain text.
Advisor
jlscott777

Same problem.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dg_com

I posted this earlier in the thread about same issue on E7, but should have actually posted here.

Here is how I fixed it on my N8 after upgrade:

- press power button shortly - menu shows

- select Lock Phone

- phone asks for NEW security code - enter some code and press ok (I used 4-digit code)

- phone locks

- move slider to unlock - phone asks for security code you just entered

- enter your code, phone unlocks and won't bother you with this on the startup anymore

This seems to be happening because this securuity code lock is not initialized correctly after update.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
death89

[ Edited ]

No joy here with that I'm afraid, just keeps asking for the code and giving the same error... tried reinstalling and no change.

Edit: now wondering if there's any way I can go back to Anna for now as at least I could install apps and use my phone.

Btw dg_com, when I tried your fix it just came up with the lock screen and it wouldn't go away with any code just kept asking me again until I get the "5 wrong attempts, code will unlock in 5 minutes" warning, any ideas?

Another tidbit of info, all the way through nokia suite says don't touch (even if you're asked for a security code) but then you have to press ok at the after restore restart, so far I've entered a code (getting code error message) and pressed ok, does anyone else do anything differently? I can't see how you could as the installation just hangs there if you don't do anything to the phone, but could anyone confirm that?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
spidermeow

tried , but same with me too no luck...... geez anna update didnt have these kind of issues before....
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dg_com

It seems that to lock the phone you have to provide correct code as well.

I now realize that I used the code, which I setup long before, forgot about it and re-used it trying to fix. BTW, this "correct" code was not working on phone startup.

So, if issue persists, but code was never setup before, I'd suggest trying default 12345 while trying to lock using power button menu.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
death89

I'm going to work through any possible codes I could have set up but I can't remember having done so, I only got the phone about 3 months ago so its not like i have years to remember... ah well...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
wollepatong

Same problem here - N8 updated in Thailand

Please use plain text.
Contributor
death89

I can confirm now that after a reinstall I can install apps so the security code on startup I can live with till it gets fixed or I have a sudden realisation that I did put a code on there :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
death89

Sudden realisation came in the end (i had a juggling feeling my assertion of not having set a code was wrong) amazing what you can completely forget in three months...

Thanks to Nokia for an awesome OS, I'll have much fun getting used to it
Please use plain text.
Karni

er, you're not alone - I just assumed it was a glitch. searching on the web said it was. Except it really wasn't - I tried 12345, I tried 00000. No, nothing. 

Then I thought I'll just try what I used to use years ago - and it worked immediately. Mine was 13 months ago (C7) but I've no recollection whatsoever of entering a password.

Amazing how quickly you forget - I'm liking it so far, though, great improvement!

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
skyee

Hi all,

here's our official Q&A on this.

Q: After the update to Nokia Belle, my phone asks me to enter new security code. I do this and get an error message stating “code error”. What should I do?

A: Please try again a few times. There are very rare cases in which the phone incorrectly asks for new a security code but does not accept the entered code.  In that situation the problem vanishes by entering any code until the phone stops asking for it.  After this, the code you had entered before the update works again normally.

Br,

yvonne

Please use plain text.
Contributor
dg_com

[ Edited ]

Yvonne, thanks for the snippet from this FAQ, would you mind posting a link to the whole thing?

As for the issue - looks like it boils down to Belle update not initializing this functionality correctly :smileysad:

Update: Found FAQ myself, here is the link, if anyone is interested: Belle FAQ

Please use plain text.
Advisor
ebenf

Yvonne, yes the phone is usable, but after next restart, the same thing happens. Can we expect a permanent solution, or is this “work around” it.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
qsand

Excellent tip, I was going crazy with that message knowing I had not changed the default code. it worked just as you described. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Sage
ghaikal

skyee wrote:

Hi all,

here's our official Q&A on this.

Q: After the update to Nokia Belle, my phone asks me to enter new security code. I do this and get an error message stating “code error”. What should I do?

A: Please try again a few times. There are very rare cases in which the phone incorrectly asks for new a security code but does not accept the entered code.  In that situation the problem vanishes by entering any code until the phone stops asking for it.  After this, the code you had entered before the update works again normally.

Br,

yvonne

my E7-00 is asking for a security code in start up, not for a new security code , can i treat it the same ? knowing that i was using a different code than the default before the update.

please advice.

Haikal
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dg_com

ghaikal wrote:

my E7-00 is asking for a security code in start up, not for a new security code , can i treat it the same ? knowing that i was using a different code than the default before the update.

please advice.

If you know your code - use it. And try to follow process of locking/unlocking via power button menu.

I do not think you can lock your phone complitely using this function - phone has to accept correct code first, before locking.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
stephen1703

still asks me for security code on start up and i have never changed it and 12345 does not work.a shame because belle is good apart from that :smileysad: :smileysad: any ideas, will nokia bring out a fix??

Please use plain text.