Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Maps 3.08(105) Update

Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Nokia Maps 3.08(105) Update

I updated my Ovi maps to Nokia Maps 3.08 two days back. I opened the maps and it certainly was an improvement over the previous version. I had no problems with it. But I use appstop and I noticed maps running in the background. I closed it and after a while I found it running again in the background. I closed it and again rechecked by opening appstop. There it was... Still running in the background. No matter how many times I close it, it still was running in the background everytime I checked. And battery monitor showed that my background applications consumed a whopping 20 % of my battery charge after the last charge which was just 8 hours earlier. Has anyone noticed this?
blitZkid
Nokia C7: Running on Nokia Belle
"If I'm helpful in anyway, a click of appreciation on the star would be nice"
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Yep, that's true, if you open any Positioning/Maps related app like Places, Pulse, Public transport and the likes, it leaves Maps Engine running. Saw on one of the posts that this was done on purpose by Nokia to allow users to load the apps much faster next time they open the above mentioned apps. Can't confirm this though. I use NetQin Mobile guard to stop the process since AppStop can't stop it (Weird)

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

I did a restart of my phone and the process stopped... Thanks any way... I'll keep your tip in mind if at all I open Nokia maps again.
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I have the same problem too. I did a restart but still cannot get rid of it. However, I noticed that if I keep using app stop to clear it after a while, it is completely closed. That is until next time you run maps.

Actually I did not notice a faster startup with the maps running in the background. So to have it running and consuming our battery is not worth it. IMHO.

Maybe I will try the NetQin Mobile Guard.

Would be glad to hear if anyone else have this problem and any better way to solve it. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
blitzkid

Netqin mobile guard should be the enough to kill the process in one stroke... But come to think of it, killing the process each and every time one runs the Nokia maps app sounds annoying. Hope Nokia will rectify the issue when they release their next update.
blitZkid
Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

I'm really uncomfortable resetting my phone with Software Updater not working on both Nokia Suite and the NSU app itself. Scared I might wipe my phone out and not be able to install the firmware again since Nokia confirmed that software update is not working for N8.

I'm more annoyed having to run the Mobile guard everytime after checking something on the maps, it's really frustrating!!!!!

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
timkamat

I posed this question to Nokia employee via private message and I Got a reply that this has been done intentionally un help open maps faster next time it is loaded. Too illogical on Nokia's part.I have been using mobile guard each time I use maps.
In Love With My C6-01:Now running on Nokia Belle!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
meegja

So yet another useless Nokia update then eh? Thanx for the heads up concerning Maps keeping running in the background!

Please use plain text.
Professor
Vaidovesta

Useless is a rather harsh view, I personally think the idea was good to keep the process running for faster and easier access, much like WhatsApp, the only problem is the memory consumption (Approx 1.6MB for WhatsApp vs. the killer 5+MB for Maps Engine).'

Atleast we have a temporary fix and don't have to restart our Phones to fix this.

Is this on N8 only or are there any other S^3 owners having the same problem?

Ta

V

N8-00,Galaxy Tab 10.1
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Yes, unfortunately, the Maps Engine process running in the background is by design.  But is it really necessary to sacrifice RAM memory and battery life just to let the maps applications start up a bit more quickly?  On handsets like the N8, with only 256MB of total RAM and only a 1200 mAh battery, the drain on resources of too many background processes certainly outweighs the benefits.

Yes, Mobile Guard works well, but it is also always running in the background, even when you exit.  So, in essence, we are using an additional resource-hogging app just to close another one that shouldn't be there in the first place!

I really hope that Nokia is aware of these posts and will reconsider changing this in a future maps update.

Please use plain text.