Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia N78 RM-235 New Update v30.011/v30.014 (Bugs/...

Counsellor
darth_mo

Nokia N78 RM-235 New Update v30.011/v30.014 (Bugs/Improvements)

[ Edited ]

Nokia have released new firmware for N78. However do keep the board nice and clean by posting all the bugs and improvements about this firmware and what you like and dislike about it here rather than opening several different posts...

Message Edited by darth_mo on 15-Jul-2009 05:29 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Re: Nokia N78 RM-235 New Update v30.011/v30.014 (Bugs/Improvements)

Nokia seems to be comitted to improve the user experience... Its really good to know that... They have to do it to survive... BTW Nokia N78 latest firm ware is a little better. The operations seems to be fast. 

It has just been a day with the firmware.. So far no problem... I faced a few problems while updating the USB get disconnected when the update is about to begin... but the latest software update program has all required warning... It asked me to restart my pc and my cell phone... And try again ... I did it Alas it worked ... got it updated ...

I found a few things new :

The icons for videos (The one in old version was better) and search are all new.

I am from india. I brought this phone seeing the FM transmitter option. But after i brought the phone i found it missing.

But with this software update i got the option under the music menu :-) thanks a lot nokia.

Few problems with the camera still remains... music volume has come down a bit... the gps seems to be working a little faster.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

What about camera problem (zooming)?Is it solved?
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Fine on 30.014 and the previous version
Message Edited by plotbubba on 16-Jul-2009 06:33 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

where can we find the list of improvements. thanks
Please use plain text.
Advisor

What's the difference between 30.011 and 30.014?

Nokia says .011 is the latest for my code. Should I wait for .014 to show up?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

When will the update be avaliable through OTA? I am using an unbranded Australian N78 (21.002) but so far no update is avaliable.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

i like, in silence mode, when i'm listen mp3 and receive a message the music stops, like the v12 version, thank you to fix the bug with speakers but, the player in v12 are much better
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Only regression in 30.011 (vs 12.0.xx) is that the little trip computer app that records distance travelled, average speed, max speed doesn't work any more. The timer counts up but I can't get any gps derived stats out of it. What am I missing? The GPS is working in google maps (and it seems faster than before too). But I want that trip comp.

Request for the next version: allow enabling and disabling of standby plugins (search, share online, calendar, etc rows) like you can do with an E51 to make the "desktop" tidy by hiding unused widgets. I kinda expected to find that in this firmware given it's already available on similar phones.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I am using an unbranded Italian N78 (21.002) but no update is avaliable from OTA

regards

Please use plain text.
Contributor

@Nokia Staff:

what are you waiting for the v30.014 to be available via OTA??

I hope the alarm clock/changing date/sms not sorted by date bugs are fixed now..

otherwise please think about next update ASAP!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

OK, found the free Nokia SportsTracker app. No longer caring about the broken built-in trip comp.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I've found a new annoying bug in v30.011.

When I have Nokia Maps 3 opened and music playing through FM Transmitter, the music stops when changing to a new track. It stops for couple of seconds and the FM transmitter actually stops transmitting as I can hear the 'beep beep' through my radio. It then plays the music again.

If I close Nokia Maps 3, the problem goes away. 

An existing bug since v10.

Again with the FM transmitter and Nokia Maps 2/3. When Nokia Maps 2/3 is running on navigation mode with voice guidance on silent and music playing through FM transmitter, there is a pause on the music where the voice guidance instruction is supposed to have played. A very annoying bug, there is no way to turn voice guidance off in Nokia Maps 2/3. 

A way to get around with it in Nokia Maps 2 was to choose another voice guidance language that is not downloaded to the phone but this is no longer possible with Nokia Maps 3. 

Are there any real improvement in v30.011? Maybe the GPS locks in quicker but I think that's the only improvement I can see. Pretty disappointing after waiting for couple of months for this release. 

I updated from v21 to v30.011 through NSU. I say this very rarely with software update: but I wish I can go back to v21. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got the v30.011 update. I would guess you will get that one or v30.014 depending on the region of your particular phone. I have no clue what difference there is between them.

With respect to the new firmware, I've been using it for about a week now and it is better than v21. There is no more phone lockup when skipping tracks in the music player and menus seem a touch faster to open. As mentioned before, there was a change to the Videos icon and slight changes to the menus. Everything now points towards the Ovi store (downloads, video services, etc.) for content. The free video feeds are gone and I havn't found them on Ovi so that really sucks big time.

There is a bug in the internet radio application. When playing a station and another station is selected the playback stops and it goes back to the main radio slection screen. I also had an issue with the music player not starting from the vertical standby screen initially, but when I changed the standby mode to horizontal and back it has worked fine since.

I still wish it was possible to change the standby mode applications in the horizontal icon theme like you can on the E51.

Message Edited by luyul on 23-Jul-2009 08:03 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a Nokia N78-3 , RM-342 North America version and the software version is 21.002,Software date 10.03.09,Custom version 21.002.215.6 .Should I upgrade to the new version?I am having problem with the zoom function of the Camera.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
theamit

I have upgraded to v30.011.

One improvement I found is that when using gmail application (which I downloaded and installed from google), it takes the permission for the session to connect to internet. So everytime I need not allow access to do any operation.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Nokia would never fix all the bugs on this phone,be sure in that.The only thing that remains to us,customers,is to update every frimware that comes out and discuss new bugs.Cheers

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Just remembered another bug from revious versions that remains. It's the FM transmitter bug that makes the phone key presse sound not work unless the FM transmitter is turned off manually.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

the v30.014 is not the correct version number, v30.011 is. don't believe me, then check the official list of Nokia firmware versions over at Forum Nokia: http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Nokia_Firmware_Versions

i just got back from holidays, so missed the release of v30, but i am hard at work documenting all the features/changes/bug fixes/improvements in this release, as I have done in the other threads on these boards for v12.046, v20.149 and v21.002. 

If you found this or someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to their post! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor

For my N78, CLEARLY a problem that has occured immediately after i updated the software to v30.014 ...because it started only immediately after updating to v30.014 .

i have 2 noticeable problem 

1- the blinking message icon  

2 - the reduced speaker noise  

i want to know

1- how do i fix this problem which is clearly due to updating to v30.014 

else if no solution is possible then.... 

2- is there a way to revert my n78 cell phone back to the original backdated software which was working just fine? 

thanks

Please use plain text.