Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia N8 update after Symbian Belle

marvinunso

Nokia N8 update after Symbian Belle

I would just like to ask if the nokia n8 and other symbian^3 devices would still get future update for stability and support for some features? The current upgrade to belle is great however it would still be better if older symbian devices will be supported. The belle is fast in my n8, however still there are lags when i switch to homscreens.. hope for a light in a day that n8 will be updated.

HOPE SOMEONE FROM NOKIA WILL GIVE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS MESSAGE. 

THANKYOU!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
satthar

hi.i am satthar.i need help.my phon is nokia N8.now i am instill software belle.i dont like this belle.i want to back before symbian ^3. please help me...tell me how to back symbian^3 THANKS
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
phonehacker

satthar wrote:
hi.i am satthar.i need help.my phon is nokia N8.now i am instill software belle.i dont like this belle.i want to back before symbian ^3. please help me...tell me how to back symbian^3 THANKS

Sorry, that's not possible. You cannot downgrade.

If you want to thank someone, just click on the blue star at the bottom of their post

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ArcoS

When will FP1 or at least Belle 112 be availeble for N8 Belle 111 ???

Music player is **bleep**.

1. Can't play any folders/albums. Only artist....

2. Can't manage albumcover.

3. Can't adjust equilizer.

FP1 is already availeble for 700 ....

Come on Nokia. Resolve the main issues which are told on this forum !!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Nokia says N8-00 Belle owners will not get FP1 update unfortunately, and we can't downgrade to Anna either. Nokia used to be a great company, not anymore.
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
John_Tesla

Hello Guys,

We are sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience with the Belle update in the Nokia N8.

Reinstall Belle to resolve any errors in the software.

The software might have been installed incorrectly which can cause these kind of errors.

To do this connect your device to Nokia Suite and click on the green arrow to reinstall Belle. 

If the above doesn't resolve the issue, try a hard reset.

Back up your data with Nokia Suite, but don't tick the Settings box as this will backup any bugs in the software.

Now enter *#7370# into your phone.

The default security code is 12345.

After you've done this, place the backup back onto your phone and this should fix all errors in the device.

Let me know how you get on so that we can troubleshoot further, if necessary.

In regards Belle FP1 not being available for the N8, this is the statement.

This Nokia Belle Feature Pack has been tailored and will be made available for Nokia 603, Nokia 700, Nokia 701 and will come preinstalled with the Nokia pureview 808

Due to hardware requirements and specifications, the Nokia Belle Feature Pack 1 will not be made available to other Symbian devices.

On this statement you can clearly read that Nokia will support the first generation of Symbian devices with further updates:

We regularly deliver software updates to all Nokia phones to give our consumers both performance improvements as well as additional features. We are committed to continue software support for Symbian

Please be patient and try to "clean" re- install the latest Update on your devices if the update is not working properly.

All the best,

John_Tesla

Please use plain text.
Professor
hpholm

@John_Tesla,

Symptoms on my N8 Belle: Sometimes stutter and hesitation in menus, sometimes takes a long time to open apps, unpredictable and sometimes big power drain in standby.

Further observation: Location info (geotags) and album tags in picture metadata files are lost after restart of the phone. (Not in the picture files, in the index).

This seems to cause the search index/harvester and/or the thumbnail creator routine to reindex parts of pictures (or the whole picture library?) with a power drain of 0.5W in standby for several minutes. And since it is unable to restore album and geotag information to the metafiles on the phone it will try again later.

Workaround #1: Safely eject and reinsert memory card from Files manager.

This will restore geotag and album metadata from the pictures on memory card F: until the next time the phone is restarted. (Thanks pinkjaff in betalabs!)

Workaround #2: Move all pictures from memory card F: to internal memory E:

After which my N8 has calmed down and works smooth and predictable with excellent standby time.

Please have the guys in the lab double-check this issue, and hopefully make a more permanent solution that allows pictures to be stored on the memory card of the N8 without trouble?

Best regards,

Hans

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

To John Tesla,

I'm sure you've read the long list of what needs to be corrected in Belle.  Unfortunately, in all this time, I don't think ANY of those issues have been corrected.

(I suspect there is nobody left at Nokia who is capable of fixing them, even if Nokia were willing to work on this along with their fascination about Windows phones.)

If the N8 with Belle is the end of the road, and that's what we're going to have from now on, I wish you or someone at Nokia would come right out and confirm it.

Also, for those of us who wish we had never done the upgrade from Anna, I think Nokia owes it to those users to provide a way to un-install the Belle update.  Fortunately, I've got two N8 phones, and can always sell the Belle phone and keep my other phone for personal use, but most of your customers don't have that option.

I'm sorry, but re-installing the Belle software will not fix the problems with Belle itself.  I'm sure you already know that. 

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

Oops, I forgot to leave the web address for the discussion I was referring to:

/t5/Software-Updates/List-of-Belle-additions-corrections-needed/m-p/1401449/highlight/false#M117945 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

hi mike myers

i can second what tesla says about cleaning up the install. here is why:

nokia suite auto-downloads the belle firmware (~300mb) on to the user directory.

whenever we click reinstall firmware, the suite takes the file from there and does not check with nokia's servers.

the problem with belle is that the nokia suite had earlier downloaded the wrong / erroneous firmware. kertuu or someone had asked us to delete that old firmware from the windows directory and re-download a new one.

re your other point, i read your list, they are quite exhaustive, i frankly did not know what to add that you have not listed. however, what tesla says is that nokia says that all fones will be supported. tesla himself had mentioned somewhere in this fp1 for n8 thread.

so let's wait and see. but the suffering during the wait period will certainly drive people like me and the new buyers far far far far away from nokia, that is for sure.

eagerly awaiting a huge fix ritual after v.111.030.0609!

desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

[ Edited ]

I'm not in India right now, so I can't confirm anything, but what I was told was that if I took my N8 to a Nokia Care Center they could completely re-do the phone bringing it back to "as new" condition, meaning either before or after the Belle update. At the time, my plan was to get Belle removed, and get back the phone I had before crippling it, but I sort of got it working on my own. Since I had two of them, one with Anna, and one with Belle, I kept the Belle phone, and still have it. Within limitations, it works, but it's certainly not the device I wanted so badly in the first place.

If you look at that long list, I just re-did it, separating "bugs and missing features" from the "wishlist" suggestions. As I see it, Nokia is obligated to fix the broken or missing features, but has no such obligation to improve on it as we're all asking them to do.

I couldn't agree more with you about that next to last paragraph you wrote. My "waiting period" is up. I ordered a new Google phone this morning, that runs the latest version of ICS.

Frankly, I'm amazed that Nokia even allows these discussions to exist. Anyone new who came here to read about Symbian Belle would immediately lose interest - but if they came here to read about the new Nokia Windows phones, they'd do the same thing.

Nokia desperately needs to get back to phones like the N95 and many others, that the overwhelming percentage of owners loved despite the complexity. Mechanically, and as a work of art, the N8 and other phones introduced at that time are equally excellent. Any product has "issues", but hopefully the good overwhelms the bad.

-------------------------------------------------------

I have a request for you - you wrote that "nokia suite had earlier downloaded the wrong / erroneous firmware. kertuu or someone had asked us to delete that old firmware from the windows directory and re-download a new one."

Can you please provide a link to that discussion, and hopefully a way that users can test if they have the "correct" version?

Thanks!!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

______________ I have a request for you - you wrote that "nokia suite had earlier downloaded the wrong / erroneous firmware. kertuu or someone had asked us to delete that old firmware from the windows directory and re-download a new one." Can you please provide a link to that discussion, and hopefully a way that users can test if they have the "correct" version? Thanks!! _______________ i frankly do not remember! before starting to participate in these forums, i did my best of reading a lot of posts pertaining to E7 and Belle, and i bumped into what was an official post from someone. to the effect of my understanding of what i wrote in my earlier post. and sadly, no, it is not possible to tell if the firmware is the correct one or not. best is to delete the NSSU folder in the user directory, reconnect the device, reinstall. my personal recommendation (not authorised by nokia) would be to do a 7370 before and after such a reinstallation. re: google devices, well, a lot of people have told me that they are a big privacy bother. every app you wanto install requires escalated privileges and even sends and receives SMSes and calls without your consent / knowledge. i would not do that, but looking at the global smartphone stats, and the way people flock to i-toys and g-gadgets, may be there are a few of people like me who are old-school. have not read your re-done list yet, will do so soon.
desperately waiting for an update from "Symbian Belle 111.030.0609" to "Nokia Belle" with all the fixes, and without any new tumours!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
adventor

> may be there are a few of people like me who are old-school

I know at least one :-)

Everything sent over the internet is interceptable by anyone and everything can be decrypted. I accept that. But why add additional privacy and security risks, like data flowing through or stored on third party servers, esp. when they are located abroad (no matter how well encrypted or how well privacy is protected according to the service agreement: it is simply beyond the users' reach if the service conditions change or it becomes unavailable, it is a single point of failure, and complying with foreign legislation can also be an issue). 

Personally I also don't want to use and buy apps and content that the provider/shop can later take away if they deem so necessary. I want to be able to put my own music (I am so very oldskool, I still buy CD's and make MP3s from them) on the device.

Most data I enter on the phone itself (contacts, appointments etc). Therefore the UI has to be decent and functional. The E6 with Anna was just great for that cloudless offline phone use.

I'm not saying you can't use other phone OS'ses in such a way, but it is certainly more diffcult to accomplish.

It was great to have that choice of good old no-frills reliable Symbian. But I do understand that smartphones are not just functional devices, they are also gadgets to impress your friends with, to talk about, after all, that is a new form of effective marketing that makes these gadgets sell. Symbian as it was, probably mostly sold to oldskool people. Of which there are not that many, likely not enough to carry a whole line of development and maintenance of phone OS for.

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

I read what you wrote, and for the most part, I could sign my name under your words. I feel the same way.

If we accept that Symbian is going away, despite anything we can hope for to the contrary, the choice comes down to one of five choices for what's left:

Android
Apple
Blackberry
Other (anything else)
Windows

Most of those choices don't allow us the full control we used to have in our own hands, back when the Nokia N95 was king. Only one comes close, as I see it.

I hope someone from Nokia is paying attention to these discussions - if Nokia Symbian is on its way out anyway, why not allow what's left of the users to choose the OS that they prefer, even if it means using "older" Nokia software?
Please use plain text.
simonbdixon

John
I have spoen to your support team 3 times

Each time the solution blank the phone and start again

I can not connect to any of the bluetooth devices - "unable to connect"

The suite upgraded my phone

Worked fine for bluetooth prior

They are in the list but say unable to contect

I have reverted to factory setting s- blanked the phone etc

Nokia say send it to a repair centre?

I just need a fix without it being an a Nokia repair centre for 3 weeks

SD

Please use plain text.
Sage
Ngwangwa

Hi simonbdixon,

Concerning unable to connect I once had that problem with Symbian Anna and I solved it by first pairing with the device that I wanted to connect and then I was able to connect. Have a look at this and maybe it can help you.

Ngwangwa - Six Million Ways To Die Choose One
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope someone from Nokia is paying attention to these discussions - if Nokia Symbian is on its way out anyway, why not allow what's left of the users to choose the OS that they prefer, even if it means using "older" Nokia software?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Most certainly, this is a "monitored" forum. As i understood from an earlier interaction, people who monitor this forum pass on what makes sense to them to the R&D team. What happens then - no body knows.

What you ask is exactly what they're doing: pushing lumia down into our mouths, down through our esophagus, through our stomachs to our intestines. Wherever you go, you see 2 things happening, here in India: giant humungous bombastic lumia banners, followed by retailers standing under those banners, who do all of the above to you to buy an android.

I would not blame android: it has those blings, so much, that the samsungs and the sonys are bedding with android repeatedly. But nokia is getting "aggressive" in its negative sense with lumia. I would have been myself hating the mango tiles, minded my own business with my darlings E-series. But now, i fear i would dislike nokia itself!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Naumi

[ Edited ]

I am so happy that the Nokia Suite is buggy and didn't update my N8 from Anna to Belle. It always lost connection during the installation process, but the USB-Ports on my Laptop are 100% OK.

Yay! After reading all the issues about the Belle and also the Nokia Suite faulties - I suggest: "Do not change a running Nokia system!"

Please use plain text.
Professor
Mike_Myers_N8

g_singularity - I agree "What you ask is exactly what they're doing: pushing lumia down into our mouths, down through our esophagus, through our stomachs to our intestines. Wherever you go, you see 2 things happening, here in India: giant humungous bombastic lumia banners, followed by retailers standing under those banners, who do all of the above to you to buy an android."

It's supposed to be happening in the USA as well, but on my one trip to an AT&T store, despite the huge promotion going on, nobody seemed particularly excited about the new Windows phone.  I asked the sales guys if they even knew about these support forums - nope.

Android meanwhile is doing more and more of what I used to expect from Nokia.  I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Nexus late last week, and immediately got email messages from Google (expected), but with a phone number for free technical support (+1 855 836-3987).  I called them yesterday, and they don't care where I bought the phone - if it's running Android, they want to help.  Maybe Nokia has changed, but when I called for tech support on my N8 a couple of years back, since I purchased it in India I was told that Nokia USA couldn't help me.  Android (like Apple, in their Apple stores) is providing all the free technical support to anyone and everyone - and this is true in the support forums as well - the Apple support forum was extremely helpful).

My advice to the appropriate people at Nokia - pay some of those tech support people to come to these forums every day, and answer EVERY question as quickly as possible, even if the answer is "I don't know". 

Don't blame the poor customer, who just assumed they were doing yet another upgrade, as they've been doing with other devices for ages - only to have their phone permanently crippled, with no remedy.  For those who like Belle, great.  For those who feel their phone has been wrecked, it's Nokia's responsibility to help out.   IMHO.

Meanwhile, I won't get to see what's going on in India for another three months, but even with all that sales effort trying to cram something down everyone's throat, I suspect that a whole lot of people will just ignore the whole thing.

(I expect to keep my original N8, and save it next to my original N95-8GB, but to sell my N8-Belle as soon as I get back to India.)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
q_singularity

hi mike myers - pl alert me when you visit india - am in chennai - where are you coming to in india?

Please use plain text.